William Parrish

Default Keeping Bread in the drawer

My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:

1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)

or

2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
the tightly twisted area.

Please help solve this mystery.

I'm for putting them in a sink full of water to test the difference.

Yeah, I know... Much ado about............

Wil
Dave Bell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, William Parrish wrote:

> My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
>
> 1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> (to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
>
> or
>
> 2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> the tightly twisted area.

I can't solve the mystery, but I'm with you on this one, and in the basic
controversy within the home. Although, it's my wife that just stuffs the
seal wire or clip back on; the girls simplify the entire process to leavin
the bag standing on the counter, wide open!

> Yeah, I know... Much ado about............
> Wil

Gotta pass the day somehow!

Dave
Dave Bell

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, William Parrish wrote:

> My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
>
> 1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> (to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
>
> or
>
> 2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> the tightly twisted area.

I can't solve the mystery, but I'm with you on this one, and in the basic
controversy within the home. Although, it's my wife that just stuffs the
seal wire or clip back on; the girls simplify the entire process to leavin
the bag standing on the counter, wide open!

> Yeah, I know... Much ado about............
> Wil

Gotta pass the day somehow!

Dave
William Parrish

Dave Bell > wrote in message rea.net>...
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, William Parrish wrote:
>
> > My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> > nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> >
> > 1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> > (to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> >
> > or
> >
> > 2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> > twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> > laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> > the tightly twisted area.

> I can't solve the mystery, but I'm with you on this one, and in the basic
> controversy within the home. Although, it's my wife that just stuffs the
> seal wire or clip back on; the girls simplify the entire process to leavin
> the bag standing on the counter, wide open!
>
> > Yeah, I know... Much ado about............
> > Wil

> Gotta pass the day somehow!
>
> Dave

I feel exhonerated. : ))
Wil
William Parrish

(William Parrish) wrote :

> >My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> >nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> >
> >1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> >(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> >
> >or
> >
> >2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> >twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> >laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> >the tightly twisted area.

> Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag as per
> Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the twisted area
> of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.
>
> Or, better still, don't use the old bag at all. Use a zip-loc bag.
>
> Note that using any plastic bag will accelerate moulding, though. A paper
> bag prevents this problem but of course accelerates staling. Thus, it is
> best for long-term storage to freeze it, generally in Zip-Locs.

NO. no. no.

If you simply twist the tie around the 'spun' section, the 'spun'
section will UNspin. You would have to double over the spun section,
THEN twist the tie around it. Don't you see? Try it.

Re. the paper bag and the freezing: We are talking about 4 to 7 days
here, so freezing isn't on the table... so to speak.

[Their going to lock us up, ya know?]

William Parrish

(William Parrish) wrote :

> >My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> >nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> >
> >1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> >(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> >
> >or
> >
> >2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> >twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> >laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> >the tightly twisted area.

> Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag as per
> Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the twisted area
> of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.
>
> Or, better still, don't use the old bag at all. Use a zip-loc bag.
>
> Note that using any plastic bag will accelerate moulding, though. A paper
> bag prevents this problem but of course accelerates staling. Thus, it is
> best for long-term storage to freeze it, generally in Zip-Locs.

NO. no. no.

If you simply twist the tie around the 'spun' section, the 'spun'
section will UNspin. You would have to double over the spun section,
THEN twist the tie around it. Don't you see? Try it.

Re. the paper bag and the freezing: We are talking about 4 to 7 days
here, so freezing isn't on the table... so to speak.

[Their going to lock us up, ya know?]
William Parrish

Mike Stith > wrote in message >. ..
> Or you can spin the bag a couple of times, then turn the open end
> inside-out back over the outside of the front of the loaf, like rolling
> up a sleeve.

Yes. That is the more complete method; however, simply laying the
bread on top of the twisted end is just as efficient and takes less
time.

[They really are going to lock us up, you know?]

> Alex Rast wrote:
>
> > at Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:15:58 GMT in
> > >,
> > (William Parrish) wrote :
> >

> >>My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> >>nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> >>
> >>1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> >>(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> >>
> >>or
> >>
> >>2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> >>twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> >>laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> >>the tightly twisted area.

> > Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag as per
> > Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the twisted area
> > of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.
> >
> > Or, better still, don't use the old bag at all. Use a zip-loc bag.
> >
> > Note that using any plastic bag will accelerate moulding, though. A paper
> > bag prevents this problem but of course accelerates staling. Thus, it is
> > best for long-term storage to freeze it, generally in Zip-Locs.

William Parrish

Mike Stith > wrote in message >. ..
> Or you can spin the bag a couple of times, then turn the open end
> inside-out back over the outside of the front of the loaf, like rolling
> up a sleeve.

Yes. That is the more complete method; however, simply laying the
bread on top of the twisted end is just as efficient and takes less
time.

[They really are going to lock us up, you know?]

> Alex Rast wrote:
>
> > at Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:15:58 GMT in
> > >,
> > (William Parrish) wrote :
> >

> >>My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> >>nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> >>
> >>1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> >>(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> >>
> >>or
> >>
> >>2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> >>twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> >>laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> >>the tightly twisted area.

> > Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag as per
> > Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the twisted area
> > of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.
> >
> > Or, better still, don't use the old bag at all. Use a zip-loc bag.
> >
> > Note that using any plastic bag will accelerate moulding, though. A paper
> > bag prevents this problem but of course accelerates staling. Thus, it is
> > best for long-term storage to freeze it, generally in Zip-Locs.

Dave Bell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, graham wrote:

> Alternatively, you could start worrying about the way to hang rolls of
> toilet paper<g>
> Graham

What worry? There *is* only one way...

Dave
Alex Rast

at Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:03:02 GMT in

(William Parrish) wrote :

>> >My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
>> >nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
>> >
>> >1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
>> >(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
>> >
>> >or
>> >
>> >2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, ...and
>> >laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end ...

>> Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag
>> as per Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the
>> twisted area of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.

>NO. no. no.
>
>If you simply twist the tie around the 'spun' section, the 'spun'
>section will UNspin. You would have to double over the spun section,
>THEN twist the tie around it. Don't you see? Try it.

{Really, really pedantic response}

Only if you tie loosely, or use a very slippery twist-tie (e.g. a plastic
one). As I said, twist it *tightly*. You need really to be sure it's on
there well. Ideally, the edges of the tie will seat into the folds of the
twist, supplying a third locking/sealing mechanism. In any case, IME, with
a tightly twisted tie, the twist unspins a LOT less than when you lay the
bag over the open end.

>Re. the paper bag and the freezing: We are talking about 4 to 7 days
>here, so freezing isn't on the table... so to speak.

4-7 days? Freezing is then easily the way to go. In bread terms, that's
pretty "long-term". You can then take the daily bread you need out of the
bag an hour or so before using it. BTW, if you're toasting it, no need to
defrost. Simply put in the toaster at a slightly darker setting.

--
Alex Rast

William Parrish

Dave Bell > wrote in message area.net>...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, graham wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, you could start worrying about the way to hang rolls of
> > toilet paper<g>
> > Graham

> What worry? There *is* only one way...
>
> Dave

OK, Dave and Graham:
You both are clearly getting very close to being out of bounds here, or
in I'netesse, OTS.
We had a very intelligent conversation going here and were getting very
close to resolving one of the major problems with marriage and then you
two obviously single dudes just jump in and spoil it all.
Now it's all ruined.
Shit!!!!
William Parrish

Dave Bell > wrote in message area.net>...
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, graham wrote:
>
> > Alternatively, you could start worrying about the way to hang rolls of
> > toilet paper<g>
> > Graham

> What worry? There *is* only one way...
>
> Dave

OK, Dave and Graham:
You both are clearly getting very close to being out of bounds here, or
in I'netesse, OTS.
We had a very intelligent conversation going here and were getting very
close to resolving one of the major problems with marriage and then you
two obviously single dudes just jump in and spoil it all.
Now it's all ruined.
Shit!!!!
Dave Bell

William Parrish wrote:

> OK, Dave and Graham:
> You both are clearly getting very close to being out of bounds here, or
> in I'netesse, OTS.
> We had a very intelligent conversation going here and were getting very
> close to resolving one of the major problems with marriage and then you
> two obviously single dudes just jump in and spoil it all.
> Now it's all ruined.
> Shit!!!!

Escuuuuse me?!? You should check that one with my wife and 4 kids!
(OK, only the three girls are still at home, but it does leave me
seriously outnumbered!)

Dave

William Parrish

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message >...
> "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> > at Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:15:58 GMT in
> > >,
> > (William Parrish) wrote :
> >
> > >My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> > >nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> > >
> > >1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> > >(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> > >
> > >or
> > >
> > >2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> > >twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> > >laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> > >the tightly twisted area.

> > Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag as

> per
> > Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the twisted

> area
> > of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.
> >

> Running argument at our house:
> My spouse twists the bag (in a wild manly manner!) then puts the tie "ABOVE
> the twists! It immediately untwists, of course. I say, why twist? This
> makes me nuts! tee hee

Yes, that is lame. However, even if the tie is placed on or in the
twist the twist will UNtwist. The tie does not keep that from
happening. Don't you see?
You would have to twist the end in a section of several inches, bend
it and secure the 'bend' with the twist in order to keep the twist in
the end.
Probably too complicated for a woman. TEE HEE
William Parrish

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message >...
> "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> > at Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:15:58 GMT in
> > >,
> > (William Parrish) wrote :
> >
> > >My wife (and therefore, my children) and I have for years had this
> > >nutty disagreement as to whether it is best to:
> > >
> > >1.) Simply retwist the plastic or paper covered wire around the bag
> > >(to, supposedly, reseal the bread)
> > >
> > >or
> > >
> > >2.) Hold the open end of the bread bag, spin the sucker, thereby
> > >twisting the loose bread bag material (plastic of some sort?), and
> > >laying the bread bag on top of the loose, twisted end so as to secure
> > >the tightly twisted area.

> > Neither. IMHO the best is a combination of both. First, spin the bag as

> per
> > Method 2. Then, get a twist tie and twist it tightly round the twisted

> area
> > of the bag. This prevents untwisting and adds more seal.
> >

> Running argument at our house:
> My spouse twists the bag (in a wild manly manner!) then puts the tie "ABOVE
> the twists! It immediately untwists, of course. I say, why twist? This
> makes me nuts! tee hee

Yes, that is lame. However, even if the tie is placed on or in the
twist the twist will UNtwist. The tie does not keep that from
happening. Don't you see?
You would have to twist the end in a section of several inches, bend
it and secure the 'bend' with the twist in order to keep the twist in
the end.
Probably too complicated for a woman. TEE HEE

William Parrish

(The Old Bear) wrote in message >...

(William Parrish) writes:

> >From:
(William Parrish)

http://www.westons.com/acatalog/Onli...Clips_592.html

> They don't get all frayed like the paper-over-wire twist ties and their
> colorful enough to be obvious if you forget to put one back on and leave it
> on the countertop.
>
> Also, if you are troubled by mold forming on your bread, you can obtain some
> radioactive material from your favorite covert source and leave it in your
> bread box or drawer. Also helpful for finding the bread in the dark when
> you go into the kitchen for that late-night snack.
>
> Cheers,
> The Old Bear

OK. I am going to submit a request for a $10 million federal study
grant to study what is obviously a huge problem. I am certain I can
enlist the assistance of a rocket scientist friend, who is director of
Ion Beam Modification and Analysis at Noth TX State. I will keep you
guys posted on the disbursement of funds.
William Parrish

(William Parrish) writes:

> >From:
(William Parrish)