Dave Wray

Default Food weights

I saw an episode of Alton Brown once and he mentioned what the weight of
a cup of flour should be. Obviously this would vary on the type of
flour I suppose. Does anyone know where I could find a list of what
various baking/cooking ingredients should weigh?

Dave

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Dave Wray wrote:

> I saw an episode of Alton Brown once and he mentioned what the weight=20
> of a cup of flour should be. Obviously this would vary on the type=20
> of flour I suppose. Does anyone know where I could find a list of=20
> what various baking/cooking ingredients should weigh?
>
> Dave

Very iffy.

http://www.epicurus.com/food/weights/

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/weights.htm

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Vox Humana

"Dave Wray" > wrote in message
news93Lb.18739$X%5.2063@pd7tw2no...
> I saw an episode of Alton Brown once and he mentioned what the weight of
> a cup of flour should be. Obviously this would vary on the type of
> flour I suppose. Does anyone know where I could find a list of what
> various baking/cooking ingredients should weigh?

I use the USDA database with good results. You can find it he
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Darrell Grainger

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Dave Wray wrote:

> I saw an episode of Alton Brown once and he mentioned what the weight of
> a cup of flour should be. Obviously this would vary on the type of
> flour I suppose. Does anyone know where I could find a list of what
> various baking/cooking ingredients should weigh?

I was on the Food TV web site (www.foodtv.ca) recently and found just such
a list. I am a fan of Alton Brown but I actually found it in the Chef At
Large area of the web site. The name of the file was
Food_Equivalents_Estimating_Quantities.pdf.

Don't send e-mail to
Reg

http://www.foodtv.ca/reference/print...Quantities.pdf

@korrnet.invalid (replace invalid with org)

>>flour I suppose. Does anyone know where I could find a list of what
>>various baking/cooking ingredients should weigh?

Don't forget "http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl".

Dee Randall

(replace invalid with org)"
(replace invalid with org)"> wrote in message
> >>flour I suppose. Does anyone know where I could find a list of what
> >>various baking/cooking ingredients should weigh?

> Don't forget "http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl".

I see on one of the url's given under this subject, it lists 1 lb. flour as
4 cups equivalent or measurement.

The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it calls
for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your called-for
flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than you
normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus making
your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.

Now this would present no problem if you were experienced with your recipe,
but it does present this problem when working with a new recipe.

Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> (replace invalid with org)"

> > Don't forget "http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl".
> >

> I see on one of the url's given under this subject, it lists 1 lb. flour

as
> 4 cups equivalent or measurement.
>
> The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it calls
> for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your called-for
> flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than you
> normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus making
> your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.
>
> Now this would present no problem if you were experienced with your

recipe,
> but it does present this problem when working with a new recipe.

I don't find that to be true. I NEVER measure flour using cups, NEVER. My
baked goods turn out just fine. I weigh the four, using 120 grams for each
cup specified in the recipe. It works just fine.

Kenneth

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:05:30 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it calls
>for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your called-for
>flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than you
>normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus making
>your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.

Howdy,

Would that not be an indication of a poor recipe...?

--
Kenneth

Vox Humana

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:05:30 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
> >The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it calls
> >for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your called-for
> >flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than

you
> >normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus making
> >your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.

> Howdy,
>
> Would that not be an indication of a poor recipe...?

Either that, or it indicates that the scale isn't accurate. The only time
that I find that more (or less) flour is needed than indicated is when
baking bread. In that case, there can be a number of factors that influence
the total amount of flour used, including one's expectations of the
consistency of the finished dough. I don't measure flour for bread anyway.
I just use enough to make a satisfactory dough.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

<snip>
> The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it calls
> for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your called-for
> flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than you
> normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus making
> your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're trying to say. Did you mean to
say "..."weighing" flour when it calls for a *volume* measurement" or did
you really mean "weight measurement"? If you meant what you originally
wrote, then it really doesn't make sense. If your recipe calls for a weight
measurement then of course weighing would provide an accurate measurement
and there shouldn't be any problems. But if you meant, say, that you need 4
cups of flour so you just use a pound of flour instead of using the 4 cups,
then I can sort of see where you might have a problem. However, I really
doubt there would be that much of a difference between the 4 cups and one
pound to create a problem with the recipe.

rona

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >
> > (replace invalid with org)"
> > >
> > > Don't forget "http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl".
> > >

> > I see on one of the url's given under this subject, it lists 1 lb. flour

> as
> > 4 cups equivalent or measurement.
> >
> > The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it

calls
> > for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your called-for
> > flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than

you
> > normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus making
> > your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.
> >
> > Now this would present no problem if you were experienced with your

> recipe,
> > but it does present this problem when working with a new recipe.
> >

> I don't find that to be true. I NEVER measure flour using cups, NEVER.

My
> baked goods turn out just fine. I weigh the four, using 120 grams for

each
> cup specified in the recipe. It works just fine.

So, for you when a recipe calls for 4 cups, you use 480 grams; and when it
calls for a pound, you use 454 grams. And the weight of the flour due to
humidity never enters into the weight of the flour measured?

Thanks,
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > (replace invalid with org)"

what

> > > I see on one of the url's given under this subject, it lists 1 lb.

flour
> > as
> > > 4 cups equivalent or measurement.
> > >
> > > The only thing I've found bothersome about "weighing" flour when it

> calls
> > > for a weight measurement of flour in a recipe is that if your

called-for
> > > flour weight, because of many factors, turns out to be way less than

> you
> > > normally would want in order to make your recipe correctly, thus

making
> > > your recipe quite short on flour --- and consequently a failure.
> > >
> > > Now this would present no problem if you were experienced with your

> > recipe,
> > > but it does present this problem when working with a new recipe.
> > >

> > I don't find that to be true. I NEVER measure flour using cups, NEVER.

> My
> > baked goods turn out just fine. I weigh the four, using 120 grams for

> each
> > cup specified in the recipe. It works just fine.

> So, for you when a recipe calls for 4 cups, you use 480 grams; and when it
> calls for a pound, you use 454 grams. And the weight of the flour due to
> humidity never enters into the weight of the flour measured?
>
> Thanks,
> Dee

That's right. I set the scale for English (pounds/ounces) or metric
(grams/Kg) and weigh the flour just as the recipe specifies. If the recipe
specifies cups of flour I measure out 30 grams for each 1/4 cup of AP flour
or 28 grams for each 1/4 cup of cake flour. One quarter cup is considered a
serving size for flour and those are the respective weights given on the
package label for each type of flour.

Although I might be wrong, it is my conclusion that ambient humidity is an
insignificant factor as it relates to flour in home baking. I keep my flour
tightly closed and generally buy it in 5 pound bags when it is offered at a
deep discount at the store. (I used to buy it in big bags from Costco, but I
find that the small bags are easier to store and cost less per pound when I
can find them on sale.) I doubt the flour could be equilibrated with the
atmosphere. It should have about the same humidity it had when it left the
mill. I doubt that moisture can penetrate very deeply a bag of flour nor is
the surface to volume ratio favorable for rapid dehydration. I think that
the amount of water needed per unit of flour depends almost entirely on the
amount of gluten forming proteins in the flour. These proteins bind with
water. As I mentioned, I don't measure flour when I make bread. I pour out
what I think will be adequate for the amount of bread I am making. I add
the yeast and salt (which I do measure) and then start adding any liquids.
When the dough is just right, I stop. It doesn't matter how much water or
flour I have added. It only matters that the dough is right. For all other
baking, I strictly measure all the ingredients by weight.

I realize that there are probably entire libraries of information on this
subject. If you are running the Wonder Bread bakery using thousands of
pounds of flour in a batch and you have a lab, the exact hydration of your
flour as it comes out of the train car is probably a vital piece of
information. If you are making two, nine inch cake layers, it doesn't seem
to matter. I would suggest that the best way to minimize hydration
variations from batch to batch would be to keep your flour in a tightly
sealed container. However, as I mentioned, I don't think it is much of a
factor. It hasn't been in my experience. Perhaps if you live in the
rainforest or the dessert, keep your flour in a porous container, and don't
use much flour, it may have a more significant fluctuation in humidity.
Maybe Roy can address this. He is the resident expert on ingredients.

Cathe Friedrich's Vol. 1 Intensity Series: Imax 2 and Cardio &amp; Weights DVD [email protected] Diabetic 0 22-05-2009 05:29 AM
Changing weights for different baking dish sapsi Baking 3 14-02-2008 02:25 PM
Weights of Peels mobile Preserving 7 20-12-2007 02:24 AM
Identical Cans, Different weights. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 24 28-04-2007 11:35 PM
Weights and Measures? Andy General Cooking 22 15-09-2005 04:02 AM