Karl Sigerist SrŠ

Default Bretzels

I like to bake bretzels with "Lauge" that special ingredient that gives
the bretzel that beautiful brown colour.
(after long searching I found that one get a real lauge when one
boils 2 tbsp. of "baking Soda in 1 liter of water for about 10 minutes
then the water is ready; dump the bretzels in it for 10 sec. put on the
baking sheet and let rise about 2- 30 min, then bake about 20 minutes
at 350-325.

But for my life I cannot find the right flour, I use Rogers all purpose
white flour, the bretzels look like the originals from Schwaben but do not
taste the same by far. they taste like they are made with sweet cookie
dough.
Has anyone an idea which flour I should use to get the real BRETZELS
taste
thanks in advance
---
KarlSrŠ
Chilliwack,BC.

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:

>I like to bake bretzels with "Lauge" that special ingredient that gives
>the bretzel that beautiful brown colour.
>(after long searching I found that one get a real lauge when one
>boils 2 tbsp. of "baking Soda in 1 liter of water for about 10 minutes

Hi Karl. BS is OK, but no substitute for real lye. :-(

>then the water is ready; dump the bretzels in it for 10 sec. put on the
>baking sheet and let rise about 2- 30 min,

You are supposed to let them rise first, just like bagels, not after the =

boiling.

> then bake about 20 minutes
>at 350-325.

They come out much better at 500 F, but you need to have ceramic, like a =

baking stone, in the oven.

>But for my life I cannot find the right flour,

Well, you can't. European flour is higher in minerals.

> I use Rogers all purpose
>white flour, the bretzels look like the originals from Schwaben but do n=

ot
>taste the same by far. they taste like they are made with sweet cookie
>dough.
>Has anyone an idea which flour I should use to get the real BRETZELS
>taste

Try Prairie Chief from Wheat Montana Baking with Pillsbury A/P, 50/50.=20
10% dark rye in the mix won't hurt either for the flavor.
Sour the rye over night first. Much better.
Your local WallyMart should carry both. All-Montana & Pillsbury. But=20
your email looks like you are up north.
Otherwise try:
http://www.wheatmontana.com/

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Karl Sigerist SrŠ

--
Sincerly,

C=Ļ-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Thanks a million Hans, that helps already a lot. Suddenly I remembered the
old saying when all else fails ask the experts ;-)
I will go and look for that Prairie Chief Montana with Pillsbury A/P 50/50.

I am not a baker I am retired I do this as a hobby, first time
I hear that the German bakers use "lye" well what is lye?
Is this available somewhere in North America or could one make it self?
That Baking Soda tip I got from a German Chemist

Then you said :
" You are supposed to let them rise first, just like bagels, not after the"
" boiling."
Well I did not know that either, thanks for the tip
Same with 500 Temp.
Q & A 3. "Sour the rye overnight" ???? look at my puzzled expression
on my face, could you please explain this a bit?
---
KarlSrŠ

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:

Thanks a million Hans, that helps already a lot. Suddenly I remembered th=
old saying when all else fails ask the experts=20

Then you said :
" You are supposed to let them rise first, just like bagels, not after th=
e"
" boiling."
Well I did not know that either, thanks for the tip
Same with 500 Temp.
Q & A 3. "Sour the rye overnight" ???? look at my puzzled expression
on my face, could you please explain this a bit?
---
KarlSr=A9

Somehow, the regular reply does not work.

Probably because you replied underneath the SIG separator.

Anyway, to sour the rye, you use enough Water to slurry the rye, pancake =

batter like and add a little sourdough starter. Then let it sit overnight=
=2E
Go to rec.food.sourdough, they have instructions in their FAQ's and also =

sources (no-cost from Carls Friends) for sour dough starter. That way=20
you get a better idea.

Food Grad Lye (careful with the handling) can be dangerous, just=20
continue with your soda, it is safer for household applications..

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Titelliste (4 Rezepte) =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Das Brezel-Grundrezept
Laugenbrezel - Kaiser Natron
Laugenbrezeln
Saarbr=FCcker Brezelb=E4cker Brezen

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v0.96f

Titel: Das Brezel-Grundrezept
Kategorien: Backen, Brot, Deutsch
Menge: 1 Rezept

1 kg Mehl (Typ 405 oder 550)
490 ml Wasser
40 Gramm Hefe
20 Gramm Salz
30 Gramm Malz-Backmittel oder
-Malzmehl
30 Gramm Margarine oder
-Schweineschmalz

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D QUELLE =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
http://www.br-online.de/
-Erfasst *RK* 03.10.02 von
-H.W. Hans Kuntze, CMC

Jeder B=E4cker hat sein spezielles Rezept f=FCr seine Brezeln und h=FCtet=
es wie ein Staatsgeheimnis. Das ist so =E4hnlich wie mit den
Bierbrauern und ihrem Rezept f=FCr ihr spezielles Bier. Aber es gibt
ein Grundrezept f=FCr Brezeln, das jedermann zug=E4nglich ist: Verknete
die Zutaten zu einem Teig. Erst ganz am Schlu=DF kommt das Fett dazu
Aus diesem Teig macht man Teigw=FCrste und schlingt sie. Backofen auf
250 Grad vorheizen. Anschlie=DFend taucht man die Teigbrezeln kurz in
3,5 prozentige Natronlauge (Vorsicht: =C4tzend!!) und bestreut sie mit
grobk=F6rnigem Salz. Bei 250 Grad zwischen 10 und 12 Minuten backen.
Fertig!

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v0.96f

Titel: Laugenbrezel - Kaiser Natron
Kategorien: Backen, Geb=E4ck
Menge: 1 Rezept

500 Gramm Weizenmehl
300 ml Milch
1 teasp. Salz
1 Pack. Hefe
1 teasp. Zucker
40 Gramm Margarine, Butter; oder
-Schmalz
3 tablesp. Natron

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D QUELLE =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Kaiser Natron
-Erfasst *RK* 27.09.01 von
-Ilka Spiess

Man bereite zun=E4chst einen Wei=DFbrotteig zu (Siehe Zutaten).

Die Hefe mit ein paar Tropfen Milch und dem Zucker verr=FChren und
eine Viertelstunde bei Zimmertemperatur stehenlassen. Dann das Mehl
mit den =FCbrigen Zutaten und der Hefe verkneten bis es einen weich
elastischen Teig gibt. Dann diesen Teig bei Zimmertemperatur
aufgehen lassen, etwa eine 1/2 Stunde, bis er fast doppelt so gro=DF
geworden ist. Dann noch einmal auf einem bemehlten Brett gr=FCndlich
durchkneten und eine Rolle formen. Diese Rolle in 15 gleiche Teile
teilen.

Auf jedem Teil einen 30 cm langen Strang formen, in der Mitte etwas
dicker, zu den Enden hin auslaufend, und daraus Brezeln formen und
noch einmal 15 -20 Minuten gehen lassen.

In einem Emailletopf etwa 1 l Wasser zum Kochen bringen und 3
Essl=F6ffel KAISER-NATRON darin l=F6sen. - Vorsicht! Das Natron braust
zun=E4chst auf. -Die Brezeln einzeln auf einem Schauml=F6ffel etwa 30
Sekunden ins kochende Natronwasser geben, dann abtropfen lassen und
mit grobem Salz bestreuen.

Wenn alle Brezeln abgekocht sind, diese in den kalten Backofen
schieben und bei 220 Grad sch=F6n braun backen (Gasherd Stufe 4). Das
dauert gut eine Viertelstunde.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v0.96f

Titel: Laugenbrezeln
Kategorien: Brot, Backen
Menge: 16 Stueck

750 Gramm Weizenvollkornmehl
250 ml Wasser [1]
60 Gramm Hefe
250 ml Wasser [2]
1 tablesp. Vollmeersalz
1 Ltr. Wasser [3]
1 tablesp. Natron
Zum Bestreuen: Mohn, Sesam,
-K=FCmmel, Salz,...

1. Mehl in eine Sch=FCssel. Eine Vertiefung hineindr=FCcken, Hefe
hineinbr=F6ckeln und mit Wasser[1] auff=FCllen und zu einem dicken Brei
verr=FChren. 15 Minuten gehen lassen.

2. Salz in Wasser[2] aufl=F6sen, zum Vorteig gie=DFen und alles 5-10
Minuten durchkneten. Teig in 16 St=FCcke schneiden. Zum Formen der
Brezeln je ein Teigst=FCck zu einer ca. 50cm langen Rolle ausl=E4ngen,
in der Mitte breiter als an den Enden. Zu einer Brezel verschlingen.

3. Wasser[3] mit Natron in einem flachen Topf zum Kochen bringen. 2
Brezeln hineinlegen und ca. 1/2 Minuten kochen lassen. Die Brezeln
gehen dabei stark auf. Diese mit Siebl=F6ffel auf ein gefettetes Blech
legen.

4. Brezeln mit Mohn, Sesam, Salz, ... bestreuen und im vorgeheizten
Backofen bei 225=B0C auf der mittleren Schiene ca. 20 Minuten backen.

:Erfasser : Michael Lestinsky
atum : 2000-12-21

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v0.96f

Titel: Saarbr=FCcker Brezelb=E4cker Brezen
Kategorien: Backen
Menge: 1 Rezept

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D BREZELN =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
500 Gramm Mehl
125 Gramm Fett
40 Gramm Hefe
2 Eier
125 ml Wasser
1 Prise Salz
Grobes Salz zum Bestreuen

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D LAUGE =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
10 Gramm (*)Soda pro Liter Wasser
-f=FCr die Lauge

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D QUELLE =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Unbekannter B=E4cker, drp
-Erfasst *RK* 06.10.02 von
-H.W. Hans Kuntze, CMC

Aus den Zutaten arbeitet man einen Hefeteig den man an einem warmen
Ort gehen l=E4sst Daraus formt man ca. 40 cm lange, fingerdicke
Str=E4nge,die man zu einer Brezel formt

Noch einmal kurz gehen lassen.Der Teig soll beim Dr=FCcken mit zwei
Fingern "Biss" haben...

In sprudelndes Natromwasser geben,kurz aufkochen lassen bis sie nach
oben steigen

Mit Salz,Sesam,K=FCmmel oder was wei=DF ich was euch schmeckt.. bestreuen=

Auf ein Gitter legen.Bei 200 Grad ca.15 Minuten backen lassen.

Das muss man ausprobieren. Vielleicht auch noch kurz die Backofent=FCr
=F6ffnen, da=DF der "Schwaden" abziehen kann.

Der erfolgreichste Bretzelb=E4cker in Saarbr=FCcken benutzte dieses
Rezept. Die Lauge mu=DF kochen !!! Die Teiglinge werden hineingelegt
und wenn sie hochkommen auf ein Gitter zum Abtropfen gelegt.

Nicht mehr gehen lassen .....!!!!!!

Dann kommen sie in den 200 Grad hei=DFen Ofen. Die T=FCr mu=DF man =F6fte=
kurz =F6ffnen damit der "Schwaden" oder Dunst abziehen kann. Dadurch
bekommen sie ihren typischen Glanz und unverwechelbaren Geschmack.
Diese Art Brezeln hilft auch gegen Sodbrennen. Sodbrennen entsteht
durch zuviel S=E4ure. Da die Brezel praktisch eine Lauge ist
neutralisiert sie diese et voila...

(*)Es ist gef=E4hrlich. Fr=FCher schrubbte man damit die Fu=DFb=F6den..:-=
(
Unbedingt Gummihandschuhe und eine Brille tragen...

Man bekommt es in der Apotheke. Hier das richtige Rezept von einem
Saarbr=FCcker Brezelb=E4cker. ;-)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Del Cecchi

In article m>,
attributions went bad.
|> Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:
|>
|> Thanks a million Hans, that helps already a lot. Suddenly I remembered th=
|> old saying when all else fails ask the experts=20
|> I will go and look for that Prairie Chief Montana with Pillsbury A/P 50/5=
|> 0.
snip

|> Sincerly,
|>
|> C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
|> http://www.cmcchef.com ,
|> "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
|> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

I found this old post laying around my files here.

Article: 1536 of rec.food.recipes

From:
(Steven Schmid)
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: LACTO: Schmid's German Beer Pretzels

Date: 9 Jan 92 17:25:36 GMT

Until recently, my father owned and operated a German bakery in Chicago which
did a very good business supplying restaurants and delicatessens with these
pretzels. Well, he just retired, which means I can post the recipe for the
enjoyment of thousands. Sorry, but all of the measures are in terms of
weights, not volumes like we usually see on the net.

Dough: (makes 5 dozen)

1 oz salt
1 oz sugar
1 oz shortening
2 oz yeast
4 lbs flour
1 quart milk (or use water w/ 4 oz milk powder)

Lye Dip:

6 oz caustic soda (this is sodium hydroxide otherwise known as lye -- del)
1 gallon water

You will also need pretzel salt.

Oven: 400 degrees F

Directions:

Prepare the dough by first disolving the yeast in the milk/water. Mix
in the other ingredients, gradually adding the flour until you obtain
a good stiff dough. Divide the dough into increments and form them
into pretzels as follows. Given a stick of dough, about 1/2 in in
diameter and 8 inches long, roll the stick starting from the middle and
working outwards, so that the stick ends up tapered towards the ends.
Keep rolling, starting over in the middle whenever necessary, until
the piece is about two feet long. Tie a pretzel knot, squeezing the
ends very tightly. Place on a lightly floured towel in a warm place so
that the dough can rise. We used dedicated boards at Schmid's bakery
because we made so many pretzels each day. Keep making the pretzels.
When finished, allow the pretzels to rise until they are about the size
you desire, usually less than one-half hour. Transfer the pretzels to
a cold place in your work area, possibly a refrigerator, although
opening a window and using a fan should work well. After about ten
minutes of exposure, you will notice that the pretzels have a
noticeable 'skin'. They are now ready for dipping and baking.

Put on latex gloves - caustic soda is dangerous stuff - and eye goggles
as well. Dip the pretzels in the caustic soda (see below) and place
them on a hot baking pan. Sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake in the 400
degree oven until the pretzels are golden brown - around 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Caustic Soda mix:

Put one gallon of cold water in a large plastic bucket. slowly add six
ounces of caustic soda, stirring constantly. You will want to wear
plastic gloves and glasses whenever handling this stuff. It stores
well (actually it stores forever).

Notes:
1. Don't be scared of dipping the pretzels in the caustic soda.
Yes, it's poisonous, but the baking eliminates the trouble, and it
gives the pretzels the great taste and texture of authentic German pretzels.

2. Some 'soft' pretzel manufacturers use baking soda dips instead of
the caustic soda. While we Schmids thought such practices as
nonsense, we appreciated other bakers doing this, since our pretzel
business was never threatened by them.

3. My father has retired, and I am now in possession of a lot of his
recipes. Unfortunately, most of them start with the statement "use 50
pounds of flour ...." Should I bother posting these? Can people
figure out how to reduce the recipes? My dad owned an authentic German
bakery for over forty years and he really knew his stuff.

4. The hidden trick to this recipe is having a really hot oven. The
lye dip should sizzle as the pretzels are put on the baking surface.
We had a large oven that wouldn't cool off much as we were putting the
pretzels in, kind of like a pizza oven you see at restaurants, only
bigger.

--

Del Cecchi

Personal Opinions Only

Vox Humana

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
> In article m>,
> attributions went bad.
> |> Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:
> |>
> |> Thanks a million Hans, that helps already a lot. Suddenly I remembered

th=
> |> old saying when all else fails ask the experts=20
> |> I will go and look for that Prairie Chief Montana with Pillsbury A/P

50/5=
> |> 0.
> snip
>

> |> Sincerly,
> |>
> |> C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
> |> http://www.cmcchef.com ,
> |> "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
> |> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20
> |>

> I found this old post laying around my files here.
>
> Article: 1536 of rec.food.recipes
>
> From:
(Steven Schmid)
> [...]

> 2. Some 'soft' pretzel manufacturers use baking soda dips instead of
> the caustic soda. While we Schmids thought such practices as
> nonsense, we appreciated other bakers doing this, since our pretzel
> business was never threatened by them.
>
> 3. My father has retired, and I am now in possession of a lot of his
> recipes. Unfortunately, most of them start with the statement "use 50
> pounds of flour ...." Should I bother posting these? Can people
> figure out how to reduce the recipes? My dad owned an authentic German
> bakery for over forty years and he really knew his stuff.
>
> 4. The hidden trick to this recipe is having a really hot oven. The
> lye dip should sizzle as the pretzels are put on the baking surface.
> We had a large oven that wouldn't cool off much as we were putting the
> pretzels in, kind of like a pizza oven you see at restaurants, only

Thanks for posting the recipe. I would appreciate any other recipes that
you care to share. We can scale down the recipes for home use. Posting by
weight makes this easy.

Karl Sigerist SrŠ

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
> I found this old post laying around my files here.

Thanks a lot Del, eventually
I will find out where to buy that Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
--
KarlSrŠ

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:

>"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
> =20
>
>>I found this old post laying around my files here.
>>
>> =20
>>

>Thanks a lot Del, eventually
>I will find out where to buy that Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
> =20

http://www.google.com/search?hl=3Den...=3DSodium+Hyd=
roxide+sale&btnG=3DGoogle+Search=20
(

15.000 places sell in on the net Karl.

Look for food grade, unless you want to ream your internal plumbing. :-)

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Karl Sigerist Sr=A9 wrote:

>"Del Cecchi" wrote in message
> =20
>
>>I found this old post laying around my files here.
>>
>> =20
>>

>Thanks a lot Del, eventually
>I will find out where to buy that Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
> =20

BTW, don't come a crying if you burn your sweet ditty with that stuff.

Use proper care and don't splash, wear rubber gloves and goggles.

You can also re-use that stuff indefinitely, provided you store it in=20
glass/stainless/plastic containers.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com ,
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Karl Sigerist SrŠ

>>"H. W. Hans Kuntze" > wrote in message
>>TW, don't come a crying if you burn your sweet ditty with that stuff.

>>Use proper care and don't splash, wear rubber gloves and goggles.

>>You can also re-use that stuff indefinitely, provided you store it in
>>glass/stainless/plastic containers.

Final question
Dip the Bretzels into cold Lye?
--
KarlSrŠ

Del Cecchi

"Karl Sigerist SrŠ" > wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" wrote in message
> > I found this old post laying around my files here.
> >

> Thanks a lot Del, eventually
> I will find out where to buy that Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
> --
> KarlSrŠ

It is used in making soap and as a drain cleaner. Some of the drain
cleaners have additives but I think soapmakers use the straight stuff. I
would check a drugstore or grocery store.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH LYE. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH LYE. It is nasty stuff at
least until it is way diluted down. Wear gloves and goggles while mixing.
It is at least as nasty as Sulphuric Acid.

del.

Del Cecchi

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
> > In article m>,
> > attributions went bad.

remembered
> th=

> 50/5=
> > snip

> > I found this old post laying around my files here.

snip

> Thanks for posting the recipe. I would appreciate any other recipes that
> you care to share. We can scale down the recipes for home use. Posting

by
> weight makes this easy.

ok here are a few more I found
Article: 20129 of rec.food.baking
Subject: Soft pretzel recipes here (LONG)
Date: 22 Oct 1997 13:18:49 GMT

COLLECTION (9) - Soft Pretzels

soft pretzel
american home brew soft pretzel
soft pretzel using lye
soft pretzel using lye #2
"lady luck" pretzel
philly soft pretzel
philly soft pretzel #2
soft pretzels #2
soft pretzels #3
King Arthur soft pretzel recipe

* * * * *
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Soft Pretzles
Date: 17 Nov 1993 22:59:26 GMT

Soft Pretzels

3 pkg. yeast
3 3/4 cup warm water
3 pinches sugar
6 tsp. salt
12-15 cups flour

Knead 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl and let rise until it doubles.

Make ropes 18 inches long and twist into pretzle shape.

Boil: 4 cups water
4 tsp. baking soda

Drop 3 pretzels in and boil 1 minute or until they float. Remove,
drain, and place on cookie sheet. Sprinkle with coarse salt.

Bake @ 475 degrees for 12 minutes.

Can be frozen. Reheat when room temp @ 200 degrees for a few minutes
(or frozen @ 350 degrees for 5 minutes)

* * * * *

Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Subject: Soft Pretzels
Date: 25 Jan 1994 13:18:11 -0500

Recipe from Zymurgy, comments by yours truely. This recipe
makes *excellent* soft pretzels. I make this dough on a weekly basis.

American HomeBrew Association SoftPretzel Recipe

Ingredients:
------------

2 Packages baking (*not* brewing!) yeast
1 1/2 C Warm water
2 T Sugar
1 t Salt (can be reduced or eliminated for the health conscious)
4 C Flour (preferably "baking" or "high gluten", but any will do)
1 Well beaten egg
Coarse pretzel salt (again, optional. add as desired.)
(Note: often found in the kosher section of your supermarket)

Instructions:
-------------

o Relax. Have a Homebrew.
o Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
o Dissolve Yeast in warm water.
o Add sugar and salt, mix well.
o Add sifted flour (measure unsifted) You can sift through a common
strainer if you don't have a real flour sifter.
o Knead for five minutes.
o Let sit for five minutes to rise. This really isn't necessary but I
find it makes the dough less sticky and easier to handle.
o Roll the dough into creative and imagianary shapes and arrange on
lighly greased cookie sheet.
o Brush pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle salt.
o Relax. Admire your creative genius. Have another homebrew.
o Bake at 425 deg. F. for 12-15 or until golden brown.

Enjoy these pretzels hot with your favourite condiments, for as good
as they are hot, they are as bad cold. I have yet to find a way to
reheat the leftovers, through a toaster-oven is about the best I've
tried. Using a microwave oven turns them to rubber.

Nadine Miller recomends:
>Have you tried wrapping the pretzels in a damp paper cloth before
>microwaving them? This acts more to "steam" them than make them rubbery.
>I use this method on the frozen soft pretzels that I found in the
>groc. and when heating bread or tortillas.

This recipe makes enough pretzels for four hungry people. You can
easily double or half the recipe as desired.

P.S. Remember to clean the kitchen or your SO will refuse to let you
make them ever again and that would not be good. ;-(

---

Addendum:

Since I posted this to rec.crafts.brewing a year or so ago, I have
discovered that the dough can be frozen. Immediately after the flour
has completely mixed into the dough, break off baseball-size (or
slightly smaller) chunks and freeze in tupperware. When ready to use,
microwave doughballs at medium for about 3 minutes per chunk. Don't
worry if the center is still cold. Knead until even temperature/
consistancy, the dough should be warm enough to re-activate the
yeasties. Continue as above!

Peter Johansson

* * * * *

Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
From: Subject: Soft Bread Pretzels
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 21:01:29 -0500 (EST)

My family has used this recipe for years. It was originally printed
in a newspaper, but I'm not sure which.
*WARNING: This recipe uses a bath of diluted lye. No one I know of has
ever had a reaction from this, but it is a very strong base. You cannot use
aluminum cooking tools for this, as it will oxidize the aluminum.
Some people use baking soda instead, but I've never tried it that way.
(Why am I even typing this recipe? Because it was requested! Cook at
your own risk...Read the lye label before you decide to try it)

Soft Pretzels

1 pkg dry yeast 1 TBSP Lye
1-1/2 c. warm water 1 qt boiling water
4-1/2 c. flour Kosher salt
margarine to grease pan--use a teflon-coated baking sheet

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add flour and knead until smooth.
Start heating (slightly more than) a quart of water on the stove in a
non-aluminum pot.
Cut the dough into 12-15 pieces. Roll out each piece under your hands
into ropes about 10 inches long. Twist into pretzel shape and let rest on
a floured surface until all are rolled out.
Add lye to water (which should now be boiling). Place pretzels one at
a time onto a slotted spoon and carefully lower into lye-water. After
a few seconds, remove pretzel, and place on greased non-aluminum
baking sheet. Sprinkle Kosher salt onto pretzels. Bake until brown,
about fifteen minutes.

* * *

From: "Cecil E. Chapman" Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 19:06:24 -0700

Glad to hear there are others 'addicted' to those darned soft
pretzels
too!

Very simple and here it is:

First of all I won't bore anyone with a standard recipe for bread
dough
(whether you create the dough, manually or with a bread machine, using
the dough function,,, matters little ((I prefer to have my bread machine
mix the dough)) ).

Ingredients you need: kneaded bread dough, coarse salt (do NOT use rock
salt)/ or standard table salt, baking soda, spatula, pastry brush,
baking sheet w/light coating of Pam or some other light shortening
absorbent paper towels, a small bowl and fresh egg yolks.

Gently (GENTLY!) roll out the dough into a rectangular shape. Next,
slice into apprx 1/2" wide strips, apprx 14"to16" long. Quickly roll the
strips until they are cylindrical.

To make the pretzel shape take each end of the dough, move each end
towards center and make an 'x' by crossing either end,,, then twist once
around the point where the center of the 'x' has been formed and attach
each end to the top of the arch.

Bring two quarts of water to boil in a pot and add apprx. one
teaspoon
of baking soda (this can discolor some aluminum pots so you may not want
to use an aluminum pot for this procedure). Stir in the baking soda
until it is well-dissolved. Carefully lift up your pretzel and drop it
gently into the boiling pot of water. As soon as the pretzel floats
completely to the top, lift it out with a spatula (at this point it
holds its shape quite well) and place it on some absorbent towels to
drain.

Take a pastry brush, dip it into a small bowl which contains fresh
egg
yolks. LIGHTLY coat the top of each soda-treated pretzel with the egg
yolk,,, be sure you put a very light coating!!! Place the pretzels you
have prepared on a lightly greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with the
coarse salt (or table salt, if you wish) according to taste. Place the
cookie sheet in the preheated oven (@400 deg F) and cook for apprx 15-20
minutes at 400 degrees F,, until golden brown. ENJOY!!!!! : )

Important note: I usually prefer to make a large batch at a time,,,
if
you seal them in plastic freezer bags, they will freeze quite nicely.
When you want one, just pop it in the microwave and heat it up for about
a minute!

* * *

Subject: Request: Soft Pretzels
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 19:16:42 -1000

SOFT PRETZELS
LUCKY LUCK"
BREAD"
2 pks yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 qt milk
3/4 cup soft shortening
1/2 cup sugar
12 cups unsifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tbs salt
2 tbs household lye (yes, they do mean Drano!-It gives the flavor!!)
2 qts cold water
3 tbs coarse salt

1.Soften yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Scald milk; stir in shortening
and"
sugar until shortening is melted."
2.Pour milk mixture into a large bowl and cool until lukewarm. Add
softened"
yeast with 6 cups flour and stir until smooth. Cover and let rise in a"
warm place until light and bubbly, about 30 min."
3.Sift the remaining flour with the baking powder and salt. Stir down
risen"
dough, gradually beat in flour mixture until dough is blended. Let
rise,"
covered, in a greased large bowl until doubled(1 1/2 hrs.) Punch down."
4.Divide into 6 equal pieces and let rest 10 min. Divide each piece
into"
10 portions of equal size."
5. Using the palms of hands, roll each into a strand 1/2 inch in
diameter"
and 18 inches long. Twist into pretzel shape, tucking the ends under."
Cover shaped pretzels lightly.When all is shaped, the first will have"
risen. Add lye to cold water in NON ALUMINUM PAN!!! Heat until
steaming"
but not boiling. Place pretzels, upside down, one at a time into lye"
solution for 2 seconds then remove and drain. Place right side up on"
waxed paper and sprinkle with coarse salt."
6. Bake in hot oven 400 degrees, for 15 min. or until well browned."
makes 15 dozen 5 inch pretzels."

Enjoy!!

* * * *

Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
From: (Susan E Ingraham)
Subject: Philadelphia Soft Pretzels
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 1994 17:40:38 GMT

Philadelphia Soft Pretzels

>From _Real American Food_ by Jane and Michael Stern. These pretzels are

absolutely *wonderful* warm from the oven; poaching in a baking soda
solution
gives then a wonderfully tangy outside.

1 package dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup tepid water (110 degrees F)
2 cups all-purpose flour ] I used 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup
1/2 cup gluten flour ] whole wheat flour and 2 tsp wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp baking soda
Cornmeal
Coarse salt

Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/4 cup of the water. Combine flours, add salt;
stir in remaining water. When yeast mixture is foamy, add it to flour and
mix
thoroughly. Turn out on floured board and let rest 2-3 minutes while you
clean
and oil bowl. Knead 10 minutes, until dough is silky and resilient, adding
more flour if necessary. Return to bowl, cover with a double layer of
plastic
wrap; let rise 1 hour or until doubled in volume.

Punch down dough. Cut into 8 pieces (or more, for smaller pretzels) then
roll
each piece into a thin tube 18-24 inches long. To form a pretzel, grasp
eeach
end of the dough, forming a horseshoe with the curved part away from you.
Twist the ends around each other and press each firmly onto the loop of
dough
beneath them. Let pretzels rest 10 minutes under a towel on a lightly
floured
board. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Simmer a quart of water in a large skillet. Dissolve baking soda. Poach
pretzels two or three at a time, 30 seconds on each side. Remove pretzels,
pat
dry, and place on baking sheet lightly dusted with cornmeal. Sprinkle
pretzels
with coarse salt.

Bake 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm.

* * * * *

From: Lou Ramsay
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 19:18:05 -0400 (EDT)

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.00

Title: Philly Soft Pretzels
Categories: Breads
Yield: 12 servings

1 tb Dry yeast
1 1/4 c Warm water
3 - 4 c flour
2 ts Salt
Kosher or margarita salt

Dissolve yeast thoroughly in 1/4 cup warm water. Mix 3 cups flour
and salt in large bowl. Add yeast with remaining 1 cup water. Add
enough additional flour to make dough stiff. Knead 10 minutes or
till dough feels elastic. Form into ball. Place in bowl and spread
with butter. Cover with towel and let rise till doubled, about 45
minutes. Divide dough into 12 small balls and roll between hands (or
on counter) to form a rope. Form into pretzel shapes, wetting and
pinching ends firmly. Dissolve baking soda in 4 cups water and bring
to a boil. Drop pretzels, a few at a time, in water and boil till
they float to the top, about 1 minute. Remove and drain. Place on
buttered baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and bake at 475 for 15-20
minutes or till golden brown. Place on rack to cool.

* * * * *

From: Krowl
Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 22:18:05 -0400 (EDT)

Heres one that i have tried a few times and it is great..

2 1/4 ounces active dry yeast (1 1/4 packages)
5 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup baking soda
Kosher salt

1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. In a large bowl of an electric
mixer, pour 1 cup of warm water (115 degrees). Add the yeast and set
aside until the mixture is foaming, about 5 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups
flour and the oil, sugar, and salt to the yeast mixture. Beat at medium
speed for about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour.

2. Remove the dough to a lightly floured board and knead until the dough
loses its stickiness, about 5 minutes.

3. Lightly wipe or spray a large mixing bowl with canola oil. Turn the
dough into the bowl to coat it all over with oil. Cover with a damp
towel and let rise in a warm place until it doubled in size.

4. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with vegetable oil. Punch the
dough down and divide it into twelve pieces. Roll each piece into an
18-inch length about the thickness of a pencil. Shape into the form of a
pretzel, and place it onto the baking sheet. Lightly spray with oil;
let rise in a warm place until they are doubled in size, about 20 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, in a large nonreactive pan, bring 2 quarts of water to a
boil. Add the baking soda. With a slotted spoon or spatula carefully
lower the pretzels, a few at a time, into the boiling water. Boil for
about a minute, or until the pretzels float to the top. Carefully lift
the pretzel out of the water and return the to the baking sheet; sprinkle
with salt.

6. Bake until crispy and brown, about 12 minutes. Serve at once. Store
in an airtight container.

YIELD: 12 12-inch Pretzels

Cal. 137 Carb. 24g Protein 4g Chol. 0mg Fat 3g/17%
per pretzel..

It may take a few tries but when you get it just right it is great!!!!

* * * * *

Newsgroups: rec.food.recipes
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 21:42:00 +0000

Soft Pretzels (16 pieces)

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (110 degrees F)
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons sugar
4 cups flour
1 egg beaten

In a large bowl, mix warm water with the sugar.
Add yeast, and proof for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile sift flour with salt. Add to the yeast mixture
Knead for 5-10 minutes till smooth. (add flour only as necessary to reduce
stickiness)
Divide into 16 equal pieces and roll between your hands to form a rope of
pretzel.
Twist into pretzel shape and place on a WELL greased cookie sheet.
Bake 400 degrees F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Enjoy, and don't forget to use yellow mustard as a dip!

* * * * *

Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
Subject: King Arthur pretzel recipe
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 1997 09:06:12 -0600

KING ARTHUR HOT BUTTERED PRETZELS

This recipe shamelessly cribbed from the Winter '97 _Baker's Catalog_ by
King Arthur Flour (1-800-827-6836). Order yours today!
Slightly paraphrased. My comments in brackets.

Dough:
2.5 c. unbleached, all purpose flour [KA is almost fanatical about
0.5 tsp. salt non-bleached, flour. I suspect
ordinary
1 tsp. sugar bleached will pose no problem.]
2.25 tsp. regular instant yeast [would this be faster-acting dry
yeast?
]
7/8 to 1 c. warm water, to form a soft dough

Topping:
0.5 c. warm water
2 Tbs. baking soda
Coarse, kosher, or pretzel salt
3 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
Savory topping of your choice [this is what KA was trying to sell. They
come in several flavors, like garlic, chili, onion, etc.]

Place dry dough ingredients in work bowl of a food processor with a steel
blade. Process 5 sec [these look like the standard components of a
whitebread bread recipe. You should be able to knead them together by
hand, although this is one dough that might pose a threat of
overdeveloping its gluten if kneaded too vigorously]. Add water and
process for 7-10 sec. until dough starts to clear the sides of the bowl.
Process 45 sec. Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl and allow to rest
at room temp. for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500f and prepare a greased or parchment-papered baking
sheet.
Transfer dough to a lightly greased work surface and divide into 8 equal
lumps, about 70g or 2.5 oz. each. Allow pieces to rest, uncovered, for 5
minutes.
Meanwhile, combine 0.5 c. warm water with the baking soda in a shallow
bowl, making sure the soda is dissolved thoroughly.
Roll each piece of dough into a rope shape (28-30 in.) and twist into a
pretzel [if the dough is reluctant to stay contorted, try rolling it out
as best you can, letting it sit in that shape for 5 minutes or so, and
returning]. Dip each pretzel in the baking soda wash and place them on the
baking sheet, dipped side up. Sprinkle with salt (unless you're using one
of the salty savory toppings). Bake 8-9 minutes, until pretzels are
golden-brown on top. Reverse baking sheets halfway through [can anyone
tell me whether this means to reverse their positions or simply to rotate
them 180 degrees in place?]. Upon removal, brush with melted butter and
sprinkle with savory topping.

Yields 8 pretzels.
Incompetent caloric calculation per pretzel [mine]:
127 (no butter) - 172 (3 Tbs. butter spread over all 8) Kcal

This does look good, and has the advantage over the recipe I've always
used that you don't have to boil the soda wash. For that alone it will be
interesting to run a comparison once I get a kitchen.