Old 18-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Ryan

Default What is Red Velvet Cake?

Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Old 18-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Peggy

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:
http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/word.of.mouth/sylvia/cake.jpg
~Peggy

Old 18-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Vox Humana

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

You got the essence of it. If you manipulate the pH of the batter, you can
shift the color from dark black/brown to a red/brown. Therefore, you tend
to see acid ingredients like buttermilk and vinegar in the formula in
addition to the food coloring. I think that red food coloring is very
bitter and not worth adding to a cake simply to change the color. You can
read more here and see some recipes:
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm

Old 18-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Peggy

"Peggy" wrote in message
"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:
http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/word.of.mouth/sylvia/cake.jpg
~Peggy

p.s. some recipes call for a bit of cocoa powder, some don't.

Old 19-08-2004, 07:47 AM
Isaac Wingfield

"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:

*Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

Isaac

Old 19-08-2004, 02:49 PM
graham

"Isaac Wingfield" wrote in message
"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:

*Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
Graham

Old 19-08-2004, 03:21 PM
The Cook

"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:

*Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
Graham

My mother used to make a Devil's Food cake with buttermilk and baking
soda (no red coloring) and I would not eat it for years because the
batter tasted terrible. I have since discovered that it is an
excellent cake.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Old 19-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Vox Humana

news:[email protected]

"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a

clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate

cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:

*Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
Graham

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "disgusting," but I do think it is
meant to impress people by the color more than the flavor.

Old 19-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Ryan

Thanks!

The recipes I saw all included chocolate, so I assumed it was a
chocolate cake.

Can someone describe the taste? I know that sounds odd, but here I am
about to order one with no idea what to expect. I am curious.