FoodBanter.com

-   -   What is Red Velvet Cake? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/31796-what-red-velvet-cake.html)

Ryan 18-08-2004 05:06 PM

What is Red Velvet Cake?

Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Peggy 18-08-2004 05:46 PM

"Ryan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> answer elsewhere.
>
> I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> available.
>
> From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
>
> Am I correct with that assumption?
>
> Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:
http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/word.of.mouth/sylvia/cake.jpg
~Peggy

Peggy 18-08-2004 05:46 PM

om...

Vox Humana 18-08-2004 05:48 PM

"Ryan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> answer elsewhere.
>
> I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> available.
>
> From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
>
> Am I correct with that assumption?

You got the essence of it. If you manipulate the pH of the batter, you can
shift the color from dark black/brown to a red/brown. Therefore, you tend
to see acid ingredients like buttermilk and vinegar in the formula in
addition to the food coloring. I think that red food coloring is very
bitter and not worth adding to a cake simply to change the color. You can
read more here and see some recipes:
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm

Vox Humana 18-08-2004 05:48 PM

om...

Peggy 18-08-2004 05:52 PM

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> "Ryan" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> > answer elsewhere.
> >
> > I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> > cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> > available.
> >
> > From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> > with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
> >
> > Am I correct with that assumption?
> >
> > Thanks!

> Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
> cheese frosting.
> here's a link to an image:
> http://www.cnn.com/FOOD/word.of.mouth/sylvia/cake.jpg
> ~Peggy

p.s. some recipes call for a bit of cocoa powder, some don't.

Peggy 18-08-2004 05:52 PM

Isaac Wingfield 19-08-2004 07:47 AM

In article >,
"Peggy" > wrote:

> "Ryan" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> > answer elsewhere.
> >
> > I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> > cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> > available.
> >
> > From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> > with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
> >
> > Am I correct with that assumption?
> >
> > Thanks!

> Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with cream
> cheese frosting.
> here's a link to an image:

*Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

Isaac

Isaac Wingfield 19-08-2004 07:47 AM

graham 19-08-2004 02:49 PM

"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Peggy" > wrote:
>
> > "Ryan" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> > > answer elsewhere.
> > >
> > > I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> > > cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> > > available.
> > >
> > > From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> > > with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
> > >
> > > Am I correct with that assumption?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
> > cheese frosting.
> > here's a link to an image:

> *Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
> much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
> a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
> recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
Graham

The Cook 19-08-2004 03:21 PM

"graham" > wrote:

>"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Peggy" > wrote:
>>
>> > "Ryan" > wrote in message
>> > om...

>> > Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

>cream
>> > cheese frosting.
>> > here's a link to an image:

>> *Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
>> much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
>> a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
>> recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".
>>

>However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
>Graham

My mother used to make a Devil's Food cake with buttermilk and baking
soda (no red coloring) and I would not eat it for years because the
batter tasted terrible. I have since discovered that it is an
excellent cake.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

The Cook 19-08-2004 03:21 PM

Vox Humana 19-08-2004 04:44 PM

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Peggy" > wrote:
> >
> > > "Ryan" > wrote in message
> > > om...

clear

cake

> > > Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

> cream
> > > cheese frosting.
> > > here's a link to an image:

> > *Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
> > much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
> > a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
> > recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".
> >

> However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
> Graham

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "disgusting," but I do think it is
meant to impress people by the color more than the flavor.

Ryan 19-08-2004 10:49 PM

Thanks!

The recipes I saw all included chocolate, so I assumed it was a
chocolate cake.

Can someone describe the taste? I know that sounds odd, but here I am
about to order one with no idea what to expect. I am curious.

Vox Humana 19-08-2004 11:47 PM

"Ryan" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks!
>
> The recipes I saw all included chocolate, so I assumed it was a
> chocolate cake.
>
> Can someone describe the taste? I know that sounds odd, but here I am
> about to order one with no idea what to expect. I am curious.

It has a mild chocolate flavor with bitter overtones due to the red food
coloring. If you ordered it from a high production bakery like the ones in
supermarkets, it will be quite undistinguished. Technically, it is a
chocolate cake, but there is no legal definition of "red velvet cake."
Therefore, there is some chance that you will get a yellow box cake that has
had red food coloring added. You should really contact the place that is
making the cake to get a definitive answer to your question. I have had
"carrot" cakes from such places that couldn't have possibly had more than a
carrot waved over the pan as it was put in the oven - simply a yellow cake
mix with some spices and coloring added and possibly the scrapings of the
carrots that were used on the salad bar. I am confident that very few
carrots were harmed in the making of the cake.

Wayne 20-08-2004 03:47 AM

(Ryan) wrote in news:189b1c22.0408191349.524f6b32
@posting.google.com:

> Thanks!
>
> The recipes I saw all included chocolate, so I assumed it was a
> chocolate cake.
>
> Can someone describe the taste? I know that sounds odd, but here I am
> about to order one with no idea what to expect. I am curious.

Years ago a neighbor brought my mother a Red Velvet Cake. It was
intensely red, so I assume her recipe contained little, if any, cocoa or
chocolate. It was kinda pretty, but it was very bland.

I baked one several years after that from what was supposed to be an
"authentic" recipe. It contained cocoa, but not a lot. I think I was
still expecting it to be quite red. It was not, and that was
disappointing. Even the flavor of that cake was not impressive.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne 20-08-2004 03:47 AM

Isaac Wingfield 20-08-2004 05:22 AM

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message

> clear

> cake

> > cream
> > >
> > > *Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
> > > much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
> > > a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
> > > recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".
> > >

> > However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
> > Graham

> I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "disgusting," but I do think it is
> meant to impress people by the color more than the flavor.

I would respectfully guess that you've never actually *had* any?

Isaac

Isaac Wingfield 20-08-2004 05:22 AM

Isaac Wingfield 20-08-2004 05:39 AM

This has been a favorite family birthday cake for many years. This
recipe is probably from the fifties; I don't know the source.

Waldorf Astoria Red Cake

2 C flour (half cake, half all-purpose works well)
1 tbsp cocoa
1 C vegetable shortening (Crisco)
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 C sugar
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 tsp vanilla
1 oz red food coloring (one ounce)

Mix cocoa, flour, and salt. Sift three times. Add coloring, vanilla, and
butter flavoring. Add eggs one at a time, mixing. Beat well. Add milk
with flour mixture alternately. Fold in vinegar and soda.

Pour into three, 8 inch layer pans, well greased and floured. Bake at
350 F for about 30 minutes, until done.

Frosting

3 tbsp flour
1 C milk
1 C butter
1 C granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cook flour and milk until very thick, stirring constantly. Cool to room
temperature.

Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla until very fluffy (about 15 minutes).
Add the cooled mixture and blend well with aspoon until the consistency
of whipped cream.

Frost layers, add a few crumbs of cake for decoration if desired.

--

Isaac

Vox Humana 20-08-2004 03:07 PM

"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > "graham" > wrote in message

> > clear

velvet

option

> > cake

with
> > > cream

IMO;

with

original

> > > However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
> > > Graham

> > I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "disgusting," but I do think it is
> > meant to impress people by the color more than the flavor.

> I would respectfully guess that you've never actually *had* any?

You would be wrong in your guess.

Vox Humana 20-08-2004 03:07 PM

graham 20-08-2004 07:32 PM

"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > "graham" > wrote in message

> > clear

velvet

option

> > cake

with
> > > cream

IMO;

with

original

> > > However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
> > > Graham

> > I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "disgusting," but I do think it is
> > meant to impress people by the color more than the flavor.

> I would respectfully guess that you've never actually *had* any?

....and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring! Bleughhh!
Graham

graham 20-08-2004 07:32 PM

Scott 21-08-2004 04:43 PM

In article <ptrVc.164473$gE.121071@pd7tw3no>,
"graham" > wrote:

> ...and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring! Bleughhh!
> Graham

Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into three
8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.

If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that call
for *two* ounces of food coloring.

please mail OT responses only

Vox Humana 21-08-2004 05:22 PM

"Scott" > wrote in message
> In article <ptrVc.164473$gE.121071@pd7tw3no>,
> "graham" > wrote:
>
> > ...and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring!

Bleughhh!
> > Graham

> Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into three
> 8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
> coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.
>
> If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that call
> for *two* ounces of food coloring.

You have to assume that the recipe calls for liquid food coloring that is
commonly available at supermarkets. Home bakers don't generally measure
ingredients by weight, and since none of the recipes I saw specified any of
the other ingredients by weight, the ounces have to be liquid ounces. Red
food coloring is bitter. I see noting that it adds to the cake except
color. Therefore, you are adding two tablespoons or more of a bitter
substance so when you cut the cake someone remarks "Look Virginia, that cake
is really red!" The term "red velvet" seems to be appealing to people. I
will concede that the cake is red, but the "velvet" part is pure marketing -
sort of like referring to cigarette smoke as "smooth." If you like the
flavor of the cake with the food coloring, I would recommend that you just
substitute two tablespoons of water or milk. I has to be an improvment.

Vox Humana 21-08-2004 05:22 PM

Wayne 21-08-2004 07:40 PM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> In article <ptrVc.164473$gE.121071@pd7tw3no>,
>> "graham" > wrote:
>>
>> > ...and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring!

> Bleughhh!
>> > Graham

>> Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into
>> three 8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
>> coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.
>>
>> If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that
>> call for *two* ounces of food coloring.
>>

> You have to assume that the recipe calls for liquid food coloring that
> is commonly available at supermarkets. Home bakers don't generally
> measure ingredients by weight, and since none of the recipes I saw
> specified any of the other ingredients by weight, the ounces have to
> be liquid ounces. Red food coloring is bitter. I see noting that it
> adds to the cake except color. Therefore, you are adding two
> tablespoons or more of a bitter substance so when you cut the cake
> someone remarks "Look Virginia, that cake is really red!" The term
> "red velvet" seems to be appealing to people. I will concede that the
> cake is red, but the "velvet" part is pure marketing - sort of like
> referring to cigarette smoke as "smooth." If you like the flavor of
> the cake with the food coloring, I would recommend that you just
> substitute two tablespoons of water or milk. I has to be an
> improvment.

What about using 2 tablespoons of cherry juice? It certainly can stain,
and it might impart some color.

Wayne 21-08-2004 07:40 PM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

Vox Humana 21-08-2004 10:35 PM

"Wayne" > wrote in message
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in
> :
>

> > "Scott" > wrote in message

> > Bleughhh!
> >>
> >> Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into
> >> three 8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
> >> coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.
> >>
> >> If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that
> >> call for *two* ounces of food coloring.
> >>

> > You have to assume that the recipe calls for liquid food coloring that
> > is commonly available at supermarkets. Home bakers don't generally
> > measure ingredients by weight, and since none of the recipes I saw
> > specified any of the other ingredients by weight, the ounces have to
> > be liquid ounces. Red food coloring is bitter. I see noting that it
> > adds to the cake except color. Therefore, you are adding two
> > tablespoons or more of a bitter substance so when you cut the cake
> > someone remarks "Look Virginia, that cake is really red!" The term
> > "red velvet" seems to be appealing to people. I will concede that the
> > cake is red, but the "velvet" part is pure marketing - sort of like
> > referring to cigarette smoke as "smooth." If you like the flavor of
> > the cake with the food coloring, I would recommend that you just
> > substitute two tablespoons of water or milk. I has to be an
> > improvment.
> >

> What about using 2 tablespoons of cherry juice? It certainly can stain,
> and it might impart some color.

Sure. Why not.

Dee Randall 23-08-2004 10:31 PM

"Ryan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> answer elsewhere.
>
> I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> available.
>
> From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
>
> Am I correct with that assumption?
>
> Thanks!

I thought the reddish color of a cake was provided by the use of different
cocoas along with portions in varying amounts of soda. Of course, the easy
way would be to add food coloring, would it not? Didn't Roy Basan address
this at one time?

Dee

Vox Humana 23-08-2004 11:25 PM

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Ryan" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> > answer elsewhere.
> >
> > I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> > cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> > available.
> >
> > From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> > with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
> >
> > Am I correct with that assumption?
> >
> > Thanks!

> I thought the reddish color of a cake was provided by the use of different
> cocoas along with portions in varying amounts of soda. Of course, the

easy
> way would be to add food coloring, would it not? Didn't Roy Basan address
> this at one time?

You may be thinking about the chocolate cake vs. devil's food cake debate.
It is true as I mentioned, that you can change the color of a chocolate cake
by altering the pH. None the less, the red velvet cake is an old southern
recipe that relies on the use of food coloring. I posted a link to several
recipes.

Dee Randall 24-08-2004 12:44 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> >
> > "Ryan" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a clear
> > > answer elsewhere.
> > >
> > > I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
> > > cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
> > > available.
> > >
> > > From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate cake
> > > with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.
> > >
> > > Am I correct with that assumption?
> > >
> > > Thanks!

> > I thought the reddish color of a cake was provided by the use of

different
> > cocoas along with portions in varying amounts of soda. Of course, the

> easy
> > way would be to add food coloring, would it not? Didn't Roy Basan

address
> > this at one time?

> You may be thinking about the chocolate cake vs. devil's food cake debate.
> It is true as I mentioned, that you can change the color of a chocolate

cake
> by altering the pH. None the less, the red velvet cake is an old southern
> recipe that relies on the use of food coloring. I posted a link to

several
> recipes.

As I didn't see the link you posted, I googled and here is what I came up
with in "ABOUT"
http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm
that you might find interesting:
"
Although the details are sketchy at best, red velvet cake is not as Southern
as many like to think. The story, which began circulating some time in the
1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria granted a diner's
request for the recipe, then a short time later sent her a bill in the
amount of $100. The angry woman, apparently with revenge in mind, then began
circulating the recipe along with the story. Another "baked" legend with the
same storyline is the $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie, also known as the
Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe."

Dee

Dee Randall 24-08-2004 12:44 AM

Vox Humana 24-08-2004 01:55 AM

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Ryan" > wrote in message
> > > om...

clear

cake

> > > I thought the reddish color of a cake was provided by the use of

> different
> > > cocoas along with portions in varying amounts of soda. Of course, the

> > easy
> > > way would be to add food coloring, would it not? Didn't Roy Basan

> address
> > > this at one time?

> > You may be thinking about the chocolate cake vs. devil's food cake

debate.
> > It is true as I mentioned, that you can change the color of a chocolate

> cake
> > by altering the pH. None the less, the red velvet cake is an old

southern
> > recipe that relies on the use of food coloring. I posted a link to

> several
> > recipes.

> As I didn't see the link you posted, I googled and here is what I came up
> with in "ABOUT"
> http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm
> that you might find interesting:
> "
> Although the details are sketchy at best, red velvet cake is not as

Southern
> as many like to think. The story, which began circulating some time in the
> 1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria granted a diner's
> request for the recipe, then a short time later sent her a bill in the
> amount of $100. The angry woman, apparently with revenge in mind, then

began
> circulating the recipe along with the story. Another "baked" legend with

the
> same storyline is the $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie, also known as the
> Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe."

Yes, that is the same information that was in the link that I posted.
Although I doubt that fried chicken was invented in the south, I consider it
a southern dish - same with the red velvet cake.

Wayne 24-08-2004 02:08 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> clear

> cake

>> different
>> > easy

>> address
>> >
>> > You may be thinking about the chocolate cake vs. devil's food cake

> debate.
>> > It is true as I mentioned, that you can change the color of a
>> > chocolate

>> cake
>> > by altering the pH. None the less, the red velvet cake is an old

> southern
>> > recipe that relies on the use of food coloring. I posted a link to

>> several
>> > recipes.

>> As I didn't see the link you posted, I googled and here is what I
>> came up with in "ABOUT"
>> http://southernfood.about.com/cs/cho...elvet_cake.htm
>> that you might find interesting:
>> "
>> Although the details are sketchy at best, red velvet cake is not as

> Southern
>> as many like to think. The story, which began circulating some time
>> in the 1940s, claimed that Manhattan's elegant Waldorf-Astoria
>> granted a diner's request for the recipe, then a short time later
>> sent her a bill in the amount of $100. The angry woman, apparently
>> with revenge in mind, then

> began
>> circulating the recipe along with the story. Another "baked" legend
>> with

> the
>> same storyline is the $250 Chocolate Chip Cookie, also known as the
>> Neiman-Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe."

> Yes, that is the same information that was in the link that I posted.
> Although I doubt that fried chicken was invented in the south, I
> consider it a southern dish - same with the red velvet cake.

The first time I ever heard of "red cake", it was called "aldorf Astoria
Red Cake", no velvet about it. It was the same sort of cake, however,
and used the frosting based on cooked milk and flour. The first one I
ever saw was actually quite *red*, so must have had a minimum of cocoa in
it. I've since seen recipes that had as little 2 tablespoons of cocoa
and as much as 1/2 cup.

Michael H. 26-08-2004 11:02 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote in news:aFKVc.204871$fv.104121
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> Therefore, you are adding two tablespoons or more of a bitter
> substance

I thought that problem with Red was solved a long time ago.

Michael H. 26-08-2004 11:02 AM