Old 19-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Vox Humana

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Thanks!

The recipes I saw all included chocolate, so I assumed it was a
chocolate cake.

Can someone describe the taste? I know that sounds odd, but here I am
about to order one with no idea what to expect. I am curious.

It has a mild chocolate flavor with bitter overtones due to the red food
coloring. If you ordered it from a high production bakery like the ones in
supermarkets, it will be quite undistinguished. Technically, it is a
chocolate cake, but there is no legal definition of "red velvet cake."
Therefore, there is some chance that you will get a yellow box cake that has
had red food coloring added. You should really contact the place that is
making the cake to get a definitive answer to your question. I have had
"carrot" cakes from such places that couldn't have possibly had more than a
carrot waved over the pan as it was put in the oven - simply a yellow cake
mix with some spices and coloring added and possibly the scrapings of the
carrots that were used on the salad bar. I am confident that very few
carrots were harmed in the making of the cake.

Old 20-08-2004, 05:22 AM
Isaac Wingfield

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"graham" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"Isaac Wingfield" wrote in message
"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a

clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate

cake
with red food coloring to make it appear redish/brown.

Am I correct with that assumption?

Thanks!

Yellow or white cake with lots of red coloring. Usually frosted with

cream
cheese frosting.
here's a link to an image:

*Never* frosted with anything but a bechamel-sauce based frosting, IMO;
much lighter than a cream cheese frosting. And the cake is leavened with
a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I believe that is the original
recipe: "Waldorf Astoria Red Cake".

However you make it, it sounds absolutely disgusting!
Graham

I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "disgusting," but I do think it is
meant to impress people by the color more than the flavor.

I would respectfully guess that you've never actually *had* any?

Isaac

Old 20-08-2004, 05:39 AM
Isaac Wingfield

This has been a favorite family birthday cake for many years. This
recipe is probably from the fifties; I don't know the source.

Waldorf Astoria Red Cake

2 C flour (half cake, half all-purpose works well)
1 tbsp cocoa
1 C vegetable shortening (Crisco)
2 eggs
1 C buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 C sugar
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 tsp vanilla
1 oz red food coloring (one ounce)

Mix cocoa, flour, and salt. Sift three times. Add coloring, vanilla, and
butter flavoring. Add eggs one at a time, mixing. Beat well. Add milk
with flour mixture alternately. Fold in vinegar and soda.

Pour into three, 8 inch layer pans, well greased and floured. Bake at
350 F for about 30 minutes, until done.

Frosting

3 tbsp flour
1 C milk
1 C butter
1 C granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Cook flour and milk until very thick, stirring constantly. Cool to room
temperature.

Cream sugar, butter, and vanilla until very fluffy (about 15 minutes).
Add the cooled mixture and blend well with aspoon until the consistency
of whipped cream.

Frost layers, add a few crumbs of cake for decoration if desired.

--

Isaac

Old 20-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Vox Humana

"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a

clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red

velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an

option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate

[...]

You would be wrong in your guess.

Old 20-08-2004, 07:32 PM
graham

"Peggy" wrote:

"Ryan" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

This is, I'm sure to many, a stupid question but I can't find a

clear
answer elsewhere.

I am saddened to say that I have NEVER seen or eaten a "red

velvet
cake". I am ordering a cake for an occasion soon and it is an

option
available.

From receipes I find online, it appears to simply be a chocolate

[...]

....and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring! Bleughhh!
Graham

Old 21-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Scott

In article [email protected],
"graham" wrote:

...and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring! Bleughhh!
Graham

Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into three
8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.

If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that call
for *two* ounces of food coloring.

please mail OT responses only
Old 21-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Vox Humana

"Scott" wrote in message
In article [email protected],
"graham" wrote:

...and wouldn't want to try it with ONE OUNCE of food coloring!

Bleughhh!
Graham

Well, that's two tablespoons--not all that much when divided into three
8" layer pans. And the recipe doesn't mention what SORT of food
coloring--many of the water-based ones don't color very well.

If you Google the recipe name, you'll find alternate versions that call
for *two* ounces of food coloring.

You have to assume that the recipe calls for liquid food coloring that is
commonly available at supermarkets. Home bakers don't generally measure
ingredients by weight, and since none of the recipes I saw specified any of
the other ingredients by weight, the ounces have to be liquid ounces. Red
food coloring is bitter. I see noting that it adds to the cake except
color. Therefore, you are adding two tablespoons or more of a bitter
substance so when you cut the cake someone remarks "Look Virginia, that cake
is really red!" The term "red velvet" seems to be appealing to people. I
will concede that the cake is red, but the "velvet" part is pure marketing -
sort of like referring to cigarette smoke as "smooth." If you like the
flavor of the cake with the food coloring, I would recommend that you just
substitute two tablespoons of water or milk. I has to be an improvment.

Old 21-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Vox Humana

Old 21-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Wayne

"Vox Humana" wrote in
:

"Scott" wrote in message
In article [email protected],
"graham" wrote:

[...]

What about using 2 tablespoons of cherry juice? It certainly can stain,
and it might impart some color.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b