FoodBanter.com

-   -   Help with Italian bread (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/31180-help-italian-bread.html)

Randy 12-08-2004 07:57 PM

Help with Italian bread

I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

Vox Humana 12-08-2004 08:08 PM

Help with Italian bread

"Randy" > wrote in message
> I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
> one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
> and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

Slow cool rise. Steam in the oven

Vox Humana 12-08-2004 08:08 PM

alzelt 13-08-2004 04:06 AM

Help with Italian bread

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Randy" > wrote in message
>
>>I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
>>one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
>>and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

> Slow cool rise. Steam in the oven

And above all, keep it lean.
--
Alan

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never
neither do we."

........President George W. Bush, at the signing of the $417
defense-spending bill, August, 2004

alzelt 13-08-2004 04:06 AM

Static I 13-08-2004 07:58 AM

Help with Italian bread

This is no beginner's bread, but it may be what you're talking about.

http://www.amysbread.com/news_dailynov00.htm

Amy's Bread | www.amysbread.com | News | The Daily News |

Static I 13-08-2004 07:58 AM

Bill 13-08-2004 08:35 AM

Help with Italian bread

in article , Randy at
wrote on 04/08/12 11:57:

> I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
> one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
> and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

Use high hydration. 70-75%

Bill 13-08-2004 08:35 AM

in article , Randy at

Fred 29-08-2004 08:32 PM

"Randy" > wrote in message
> I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
> one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
> and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

I've had no luck at all with large hole artisanal crumbs in my breads and
I've done all the normal things. It is, however, a matter of technique and
not ingredients. Here's my normal formula for Italian. It will make about
a 2 1/2 lb. dough.

1 lb. 12 oz. high gluten flour
1/2 oz. sugar
1/2 oz. salt
1 lb. water
3/4 oz. fresh yeast

Mix for around 10 minutes until the dough no longer has any roughness in its
texture but not any longer. Ferment 1 1/2 hours. Deflate, make up, baste
lightly with olive oil, slash and proof until doubled. I usually bake in my
ovens at 375 until the bread sounds right when snapped with a finger and has
a dark golden crust (typically 20 minutes.) If you are making fast baking
loaves like baguettes, then go to 400 degrees. Internal temp is usually 195
to 200 F when finished but I haven't tested the temp in ages. I make this
dough 2 or 3 times per week do I've done it many, many times. Take care.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Fred 29-08-2004 08:32 PM

graham 30-08-2004 04:58 AM

"Fred" > wrote in message

> "Randy" > wrote in message
> > I've been trying bake a nice looking and tasting Italian bread like the
> > one sold in Safeway called Artesan Rustic Italian. It has a hard crust
> > and a chewy center with large air voids. Any ideas? -RP

Try Pane di Semolina - versione a fornaio from:
http://home.earthlink.net/~ggda/Clau...r_Frameset.htm

Graham

graham 30-08-2004 04:58 AM

Jerry DeAngelis 01-09-2004 12:11 AM

Graham et al:

We appreciate your suggesting The Artisan web site as a resource.
However, the link you gave -
http://home.earthlink.net/~ggda/Clau...r_Frameset.htm is a backup
site and may not be exactly as up-to-date as the master site
http://www.theartisan.net

Thus, the link would be
http://www.theartisan.net/Claudio_Corner_Frameset.htm

You may want to change your bookmark to the latter if you use the site
routinely.

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan

? -RP

Jerry DeAngelis 01-09-2004 12:11 AM

Graham et al:

graham 01-09-2004 02:38 AM

"Jerry DeAngelis" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Graham et al:
>
> We appreciate your suggesting The Artisan web site as a resource.
> However, the link you gave -
> http://home.earthlink.net/~ggda/Clau...r_Frameset.htm is a backup
> site and may not be exactly as up-to-date as the master site
> http://www.theartisan.net
>
> Thus, the link would be
> http://www.theartisan.net/Claudio_Corner_Frameset.htm

Sorry. I wasn't aware of that. I took the link from off the recipe page.
I've corrected it in my file.
Thanks for letting me know.
Graham

graham 01-09-2004 02:38 AM