alex ward

Default problem with baking - underneath burning

Ok just baked some spicy rock cakes/buns whatever you want to call
them, cooked at below temp given. after 15mins (recomended time) the
underneath appeared burnt (the baking tray i used was used for the
first time in this bake session) I used butter to grease the tray - no
foil or greaseproof, what is the cause of this, i have this with other
cakes i bake, i know i cant cure them now they burnt but why does it
happen? i dont wanna know how to solve the problem, it shud seem
obvious, but the other lot i put in on the top shelf baked fine no
problems - cooked for same amount of time in same baking session...any
answers as 2 why?
Vox Humana

"alex ward" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok just baked some spicy rock cakes/buns whatever you want to call
> them, cooked at below temp given. after 15mins (recomended time) the
> underneath appeared burnt (the baking tray i used was used for the
> first time in this bake session) I used butter to grease the tray - no
> foil or greaseproof, what is the cause of this, i have this with other
> cakes i bake, i know i cant cure them now they burnt but why does it
> happen? i dont wanna know how to solve the problem, it shud seem
> obvious, but the other lot i put in on the top shelf baked fine no
> problems - cooked for same amount of time in same baking session...any
> answers as 2 why?

Some items need bottom heat. Pies are a good example. Other items should
be baked in the center of the oven. Unless you have a true convection oven,
the heat source is in on the bottom of the oven. When you place a pan near
the bottom of the oven it can be very very close to the heating element or
burner. As you have seen, the bottom of the pan gets very hot and delicate
items burn. According to Newton's Inverse Square Law, the radiant energy
decreases in an inverse relationship to the square of the distance from the
source. Intensity=1/DČ where D is the distance from the energy source.

Hoges in WA

"alex ward" > wrote in message
om...
> Ok just baked some spicy rock cakes/buns whatever you want to call
> them, cooked at below temp given. after 15mins (recomended time) the
> underneath appeared burnt (the baking tray i used was used for the
> first time in this bake session) I used butter to grease the tray - no
> foil or greaseproof, what is the cause of this, i have this with other
> cakes i bake, i know i cant cure them now they burnt but why does it
> happen? i dont wanna know how to solve the problem, it shud seem
> obvious, but the other lot i put in on the top shelf baked fine no
> problems - cooked for same amount of time in same baking session...any
> answers as 2 why?

Same type of tray used? One wasn't black and the other silver? That caught
me out when I was young oh so long ago.

--
Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
burning fat am Preserving 0 08-09-2008 09:10 AM
burning fat am Marketplace 0 08-09-2008 09:10 AM
burning fat am Sushi 0 08-09-2008 09:08 AM
Burning down the sprouts Curly Sue General Cooking 20 05-03-2004 05:40 PM