Dave Bell

Default Savarin cake modifications

Yesterday, I made an Orange-Rum Savarin that came out wonderfully,
particularly for a first attempt!
( http://www.aeb.org/recipes/desserts/...m-savarin.html )

As I am wheat-intolerant, I baked it with Spelt flour, without any
modifications, and was very pleased with the result. Of course, as soon as
I have something that works, I want to change it... The cake is very
delicately flavored without the syrup, which may not soak in evenly. I
thought it might be good (although admittedly, no longer a true Savarin)
to increase the sugar, and possibly add more fruits.

With the yeast though, I am not sure if it's a good idea to significantly
increase the sugar in the basic batter. Would the yeast tend to consume
all the available sugar in the rise? Would the resulting sponge be way to
light and liquid? Could I possibly achieve the desired result by stirring
in the additional sugar when I stir down the batter, after the first rise?
Would a delicate yeast batter like this support more fruit, even double or
more?

And yes, I will experiment, but thought I'd query the collecive experience
here, first!

Dave