Rhiannon

Default The Cheesecake Disaster!

Wondering if anyone could help!
I decided to make a cheesecake, which wasn’t that smartest thing I have
ever done! I
Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn’t have
whipping cream
Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
this was ok?
She said fine! So got home, followed the recipe! Only problem is that
the mixture
Wouldn’t thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
was hoping if
Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

It will thicken in the oven. It is like a custard, watery in, solid out.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

It will thicken in the oven. It is like a custard, watery in, solid out.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

It will thicken in the oven. It is like a custard, watery in, solid out.

Michael Hodges

Try mixing in a little bit of cornstarch powder. I don't know
for sure that it will work but it is a thickening agent. I do
know that if you put it in the oven like it is, it won't set.
Good luck!

Vox Humana

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Wondering if anyone could help!
> I decided to make a cheesecake, which wasn't that smartest thing I have
> ever done! I
> Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> whipping cream
> Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> this was ok?
> She said fine! So got home, followed the recipe! Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

You need to post the recipe. Genuine cheesecake is baked. There are
"cheesecakes" that are not baked, however. It is hard to tell what we are
dealing with if you don't post the recipe. Didn't is indicate if it should
be baked or not?

Vox Humana

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Wondering if anyone could help!
> I decided to make a cheesecake, which wasn't that smartest thing I have
> ever done! I
> Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> whipping cream
> Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> this was ok?
> She said fine! So got home, followed the recipe! Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

You need to post the recipe. Genuine cheesecake is baked. There are
"cheesecakes" that are not baked, however. It is hard to tell what we are
dealing with if you don't post the recipe. Didn't is indicate if it should
be baked or not?

Wayne

"Margaret Robinson" > wrote in
:

> It seems that you're implying that you mixed the whipping cream
> replacement into the batter. I find that odd. The cheesecakes I've
> made only require whipping cream as a garnish.

In the book, _Joy of Cheesecake_, there are numerous recipes where whipping
cream is used *in* the batter along with cheese, eggs, sugar, etc.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Margaret Robinson" > wrote in
:

> It seems that you're implying that you mixed the whipping cream
> replacement into the batter. I find that odd. The cheesecakes I've
> made only require whipping cream as a garnish.

In the book, _Joy of Cheesecake_, there are numerous recipes where whipping
cream is used *in* the batter along with cheese, eggs, sugar, etc.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne

"Margaret Robinson" > wrote in
:

> It seems that you're implying that you mixed the whipping cream
> replacement into the batter. I find that odd. The cheesecakes I've
> made only require whipping cream as a garnish.

In the book, _Joy of Cheesecake_, there are numerous recipes where whipping
cream is used *in* the batter along with cheese, eggs, sugar, etc.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Vox Humana

"Margaret Robinson" > wrote in message
> It seems that you're implying that you mixed the whipping cream

replacement
> into the batter. I find that odd. The cheesecakes I've made only require
> whipping cream as a garnish.

Every recipe that I can think of that I have ever made used either heavy
cream and/or sourcream in the batter. I would be interested in seeing one
or more of your recipes.

Margaret Robinson

It seems that you're implying that you mixed the whipping cream replacement
into the batter. I find that odd. The cheesecakes I've made only require
whipping cream as a garnish.

Margaret Robinson

It seems that you're implying that you mixed the whipping cream replacement
into the batter. I find that odd. The cheesecakes I've made only require
whipping cream as a garnish.

Sheilah Blanco

HOLY SMOKES!!!!
Girl, Cheesecake is one of the easiest things to make in the world!!!! In
the state your cheese cake is described as, maybe I'd add about 3 T. of
unflavored gelatin disolved in about 1/2 c. water, then blend and put back
in the fridge.
HOWEVER!!! If it has eggs in it as the original recipe calls for, BAKING
will solidify it. My basic recipe is:

Sheilah's Foolproof Basic CHEESECAKE

I take one spring form pan lightly greased and floured.
Many use a graham cracker crumb recipe for the crust, I just use oreos
crunched up or sugar cookies, I use a rolling pin to crunch up or crumb the
cookies, then line the bottom of the greased & floured spring form pan.
PREHEAT OVEN @ 300 DEGREES. With wide dutch oven or roaster w/ 1" or more
of water.

THEN, I blend or whip
8 eggs
8 oz. sour cream
2 pkgs cream cheese @ room temp (can be melted in microwave for about 1
min.)
1 pkg gelatin (no dissolving just add to mixture)
2 T. grated lemon rind
1 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
BLEND or whip all ingredients till ultra smooth, it foam peaks form, stir
down. TRICKLE ontop of cookies in springform pan easily as dumping mixture
may displace the crumbs throughout the cake. COVER SPRINGFORM PAN with oven
proof plate, foil or pie tin. Place Springform Pan into a wider pan with 1"
of water Bake @ 300 degrees for 90 min. Test with toothpick to assure
center is baked. (depending on alt. and varying oven temp) Top with thawed
frozen fruit, melted chocolate, sour cream w/sugar or all.

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Wondering if anyone could help!
> I decided to make a cheesecake, which wasn't that smartest thing I have
> ever done! I
> Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> whipping cream
> Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> this was ok?
> She said fine! So got home, followed the recipe! Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

Sheilah Blanco

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Wondering if anyone could help!
> I decided to make a cheesecake, which wasn't that smartest thing I have
> ever done! I
> Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> whipping cream
> Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> this was ok?
> She said fine! So got home, followed the recipe! Only problem is that
> the mixture
> Wouldn't thicken! And still wont, I have the mixture in the fridge!! I
> was hoping if
> Someone knew of any ideas on how to make it thicken? Also if I put it in
> the oven like it is, do you think it would be ok?

Peggy

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> whipping cream
> Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> this was ok?

I guess I don't understand here. Only double what?

Peggy

"Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> whipping cream
> Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> this was ok?

I guess I don't understand here. Only double what?

Vox Humana

"Peggy" > wrote in message

> "Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> > Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> > whipping cream
> > Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> > this was ok?

> I guess I don't understand here. Only double what?

Single cream = light cream or coffee cream. DOUBLE cream = heavy cream or
whipping cream.

Vox Humana

"Peggy" > wrote in message

> "Rhiannon" > wrote in message
> > Went to the local shop to find the ingredients, but they didn't have
> > whipping cream
> > Only double (in another stupid moment) I rang my mother and asked if
> > this was ok?

> I guess I don't understand here. Only double what?

Single cream = light cream or coffee cream. DOUBLE cream = heavy cream or
whipping cream.

Peggy

"Vox Humana" > wrote
> Single cream = light cream or coffee cream. DOUBLE cream = heavy cream or
> whipping cream.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!
~Peggy

Peggy

"Vox Humana" > wrote
> Single cream = light cream or coffee cream. DOUBLE cream = heavy cream or
> whipping cream.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!
~Peggy

Vox Humana

"Margaret Robinson" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > > Every recipe that I can think of that I have ever made used either

heavy
> > cream and/or sourcream in the batter. I would be interested in seeing

one
> > or more of your recipes.
> >

> The recipe I use is below. I suppose the sweetened condensed milk could
> count as cream, although I never really thought of it as such.
>
> 3 (250 g) packages cream cheese, softened
> 1 can sweetened condensed milk
> 8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
> 4 eggs
> 2 teaspoons vanilla

Yes, the SCM is equivalent to the sugar and cream. This is a new variation
for me, but I'm sure it works fine. Here is the one that I like:

Junior’s Cheesecake
Sponge Cake Layer
Preheat oven to 350°
Grease a 9 inch springform pan.

1/2 cup sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
3 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 drops lemon extract
3 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
Beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high for 3 minutes. Gradually add
the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and lemon colored – about 5
more minutes. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extracts.
Sift the flour mixture over the beaten egg yolks and stir by hand until well
blended. Then blend in the butter.
In a clean bowl with clean beaters, combine the egg whites and cream of
tarter. Beat until foamy and then gradually add the reserved 2 tablespoons
of sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites form stiff peaks.
Combine about ¼ of the beaten egg whites with the flour mixture and mix
until well combined. Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
Carefully spread the batter on the bottom of the pan and bake for about 10
minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed with your finger. Set
aside to cool.

Cheesecake Layer (Plain)
4 8oz packages of cream cheese (not low fat)
1 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 eggs
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat Oven to 350F
Combined one package of cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, and the cornstarch in
the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on low speed until creamy, about 3
minutes.
Add the remaining cream cheese, one package at a time and beat until smooth.
Increase the speed to high and add the remaining sugar and eggs, one at a
time. Beat thoroughly after each addition.
Stop the mixer and blend in the cream and vanilla by hand.
Pour the batter over the baked cake in the springform pan.
Wrap the bottom of the pan with heavy duty foil. Set the foil lined pan in
another slightly larger pan. Pour enough boiling water into the outer pan
to submerge 1 inch of the springform pan.
Bake for about 1 hour or until the center of the cake barely jiggles when it
is shaken. Let the cake cool in the oven for about an hour with the door
ajar. Let the cake cool for another hour outside the oven on a wire rack.
Slide a knife between the cake and the pan and then release the sides of the
pan. Wrap with plastic film and chill in the refrigerator over night.

Pumpkin Cheesecake
1 recipe of sponge layer
1 recipe cheesecake layer

1 cup solid pack pumpkin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

Preheat the oven to 350°
Mix the pumpkin with the spices and set aside.
Make the cheesecake as above. Beat in the spiced pumpkin mixture after the
addition of the eggs. Mix in cream and bake as directed above.
Chocolate Marble Cheesecake
1 recipe sponge layer
1 recipe cheesecake
3/4 cup store bought fudge ice cream topping

Preheat the oven to 350F
Prepare cheesecake. Pour half the batter over the sponge layer.
Melt the fudge ice cream topping in a double boiler or microwave. Combine
with the remaining batter. Pour over the plain batter and draw a table
knife through the cake to create a marble patter.
Bake as directed above. Cover the pan with foil after about 45 minutes of
baking to prevent over browning.

Apple Crumb Cheesecake
1 recipe of sponge layer
1 recipe of cheesecake layer

Apple layer
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons all purpose four
1 tablespoon cornstarch
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ pounds tart-sweet apples
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Crumb topping
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 teaspoon lemon extracts
1/3 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F
For the apples layer, mix the sugars, flour, cornstarch and cinnamon and set
aside
Peel, core, and slice the apples 1/4 inch thick (you will need 4 cups of
apples). Drizzle with the lemon juice and toss with the sugar mixture.
Spread about 2/3 of the apples over the baked sponge layer.
Spread the cheesecake batter over the apples. Starting about 2 inches from
the edge of the pan, push the remaining apples into the batter until they
are almost completely submerged.
Bake as directed above in the water bath for about 1 1/4 hours or until the
center barely jiggles when you shake the pan, When top sets and starts to
brown, (about 50 minutes) cover the pan with foil for the remainder of the
baking time.
While the cake is baking prepare the crumb topping. Mix the flour, brown
sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Work the butter and
shortening into the mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender until the
mixture looks like coarse crumbs about the size of small peas. Stir in the
lemon extract.
After the cake is completely cooled, top with the crumb topping and sprinkle
with the confectioner’s sugar. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and
refrigerate it until serving time.

Vox Humana

> [...]

the edge of the pan, push the remaining apples into the batter until they
are almost completely submerged.
Bake as directed above in the water bath for about 1 1/4 hours or until the
center barely jiggles when you shake the pan, When top sets and starts to
brown, (about 50 minutes) cover the pan with foil for the remainder of the
baking time.
While the cake is baking prepare the crumb topping. Mix the flour, brown
sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Work the butter and
shortening into the mixture with your fingers or a pastry blender until the
mixture looks like coarse crumbs about the size of small peas. Stir in the
lemon extract.
After the cake is completely cooled, top with the crumb topping and sprinkle
with the confectioner’s sugar. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and

Margaret Robinson

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > Every recipe that I can think of that I have ever made used either heavy

> cream and/or sourcream in the batter. I would be interested in seeing one
> or more of your recipes.

The recipe I use is below. I suppose the sweetened condensed milk could
count as cream, although I never really thought of it as such.

3 (250 g) packages cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk
8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Margaret Robinson

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > Every recipe that I can think of that I have ever made used either heavy

> cream and/or sourcream in the batter. I would be interested in seeing one
> or more of your recipes.

The recipe I use is below. I suppose the sweetened condensed milk could
count as cream, although I never really thought of it as such.

3 (250 g) packages cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk
8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Jeff Novotny

Is this the entire recipe?

Jeff

> The recipe I use is below. I suppose the sweetened condensed milk could
> count as cream, although I never really thought of it as such.
>
> 3 (250 g) packages cream cheese, softened
> 1 can sweetened condensed milk
> 8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
> 4 eggs
> 2 teaspoons vanilla

Jeff Novotny

Is this the entire recipe?

Jeff

> The recipe I use is below. I suppose the sweetened condensed milk could
> count as cream, although I never really thought of it as such.
>
> 3 (250 g) packages cream cheese, softened
> 1 can sweetened condensed milk
> 8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
> 4 eggs
> 2 teaspoons vanilla

Jeff Novotny

Is this the entire recipe?

Jeff

> The recipe I use is below. I suppose the sweetened condensed milk could
> count as cream, although I never really thought of it as such.
>
> 3 (250 g) packages cream cheese, softened
> 1 can sweetened condensed milk
> 8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, melted and cooled
> 4 eggs
> 2 teaspoons vanilla

Jeff Novotny

Is this the entire recipe?