Old 03-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Ribitt

Default Cool Whip

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

Alan wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

wrote in message
thlink.net...
Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can

be
added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used

take popcicles and dip them in Cool Whip for treats the same with

cookies.
You can add it to any recipe that calls for whipped cream (that has

no
taste and lots of fat and cholesterol) it doesn't melt or fade away

and
can be added to a 1 pound box of powdered sugar for a great frosting.
Matt

Cool Whip is a first cousin to non-dairy coffee creamers. This class

of
products contains hydrogenated tropical oils and saturated fat. If you

like
them, that is a personal thing. I see little to recommend them. I

don't
think they taste very good - certainly not like real whipped cream.

Cool
Whip has a strange chemical taste, probably from the artificial vanilla
flavor that it contains. I don't have whipped cream very often, maybe

twice
a year. I would rather have the real thing. You can stabilize whipped
cream if you want to use it in pastries.

I don't much like Cool Whip, but I think the 'chemical' taste doesn't
come from the artificial vanilla. Cook's Illustrated does blind
taste testing, and when they tasted vanilla against vanillin, not one
taster could tell the difference!

I think other things in the mixture have to do with the weird taste.

You might be right. However, as I recall, the CI test concluded that you
couldn't tell the difference when using vanillin in cooked/baked items but
they recommended using real vanilla in things like whipped cream that

aren't
heated. One thing for sure it that there is a strange taste to Cool Whip.
I also think it is too sweet.

Over the holiday season I sampled some rum punch which had an overly
generous amount of Cool Whip added. I thought it was terrible. Thick gooey
stuff. Could almost cut it with a knife.

Besides, I couldn't taste the rum. Bah humbug!

Old 04-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Vox Humana

"Ribitt" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same
category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, and
powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are the
right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:00 AM
[email protected]

Check out the wall street journal for November 02.
Yes we love Velveeta. Kids love it on crackers or on eggs or just about
anything. They wouldn't touch veggies until we put a dab on to get them
started. By the way it is great on baked potatoes with crispy bacon I
don't eat bacon but those that do say its good.
As a matter of fact I love Tang and have used it since we found out the
Astronauts used it. I don't like orange juice as it is too bitter but I
do prefer fresh oranges. They are not always available.
Last night the kids made a dessert with graham crackers a layer of fr.
vanilla Cool Whip, a layer of instant choc pudding, a layer of crackers
a layer of strawberry pudding, more cool whip and then more crackers and
the rest of the puddings and more cool whip. Looked strange but tastes
good.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

wrote in message
hlink.net...

What a surprise as Cool Whip is the largest selling topping of any
including whipped cream.
Whipped cream is not acceptable to most people.
Matt

Because of your top posting it is really hard to determine your position. I
will assume that your are quite enthusiastic about Cool Whip. Of course,
that's your right as it is mine to prefer real whipped cream. I would point
out that there are lots of products that sell like mad, but that doesn't
make them superior. For instance, Velveeta is quite popular because it is
cheap, melts well, and doesn't require refrigeration until it is opened. My
supermarket regularly puts entire skids of the stuff down the main isle at
room temperature when it is on special. Does that make Velveeta superior or
more acceptable than cheddar cheese. I think not. I also believe that
"most people" don't have a clue about nutrition, and the relationship
between saturated fat and cholesterol. How many people do you suppose
prefer non-dairy creamer over real cream because they think it is a healthy
choice? How many just like being able to have a jar of the stuff on the
table and not have to worry about refrigeration and expiration dates? Many
people think that margarine is more acceptable than butter, but that isn't
the case from a medical point of view. I suppose that you really like Tang
over real orange juice? After all, millions of jars have been sold. By the
way, do you have a source for claims about people's preferences for Cool
Whip?

Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 AM
[email protected]

Here we have used it all these years and never noticed any odd tastes.
It still beats whipped cream...too much work and you can't store it.

Alan wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can be
added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream. My kids used to

Old 04-01-2004, 01:03 AM
[email protected]

Wow! People sure have different tastes my kids think it is too sour and
always add powdeded sugar. I think it tastes best that way too.

Vox Humana wrote:

Alan wrote in message

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

arthlink.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 01:08 AM
[email protected]

Cool Whip is a convenience food as far as I'm concerned. It's in the same
category as Tang, boxed macaroni and cheese, instant mashed potatoes, and
powdered soup mix. If you value convenience over flavor, then these are the
right products. However, they don't match the real thing for flavor.

Jeez now you are attacking my families favourite foods. My kids have
grown up on macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes with brown gravy and
don't forget all the various forms of frozen potatoes. As too powdered
soup mixes I don't know which you use but the ones we use have a lot a
flavour and texture. I especially like the chicken tortilla soup and
the potatoe soups. I also use a lot of Fr.Onion packs when cooking veggies.
I really like convenience and I find this stuff to have lots of flavour.
Try the Mac and Cheese mixed with a can of Tuna...great.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:09 AM
[email protected]

When you think about it everything we eat is just a combo of chemical
ingredients along with some enzymes and other stuff.
Not much difference.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article k.net,
wrote:

Cool Whip is a wonderful product that comes in many flavours and can
be added to anything. It tastes just like whipped cream.

Not really. It's a miracle of chemical ingredients combined to simulate
the taste of sweetened whipped heavy cream.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:11 AM
[email protected]

Sounds good to me but I would use cream cheese that is fat free and
this dessert becomes a health food.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , "Dee Randall"
wrote:

I have always just ignored recipes that call for "cool whip."

What exactly is cool whip - what are its uses?

Can you make it yourself from your own ingredients if your recipe
calls for it?

thanks so much.

Dee

Think imitation sweetened whipped cream.
I just made this pie using 1 pint whipping cream, whipped and sweetened:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

10-Minute German Sweet Chocolate Pie

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 oz. German¹s Sweet Chocolate
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 oz. cream cheese softened
3 1/2 cups Cool Whip
8 ² crumb crust (Johnson¹s prepared crust)

Heat chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the milk in a saucepan over low heat,
stirring until chocolate is melted. Beat sugar into cream cheese; add
remaining milk and chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in
Cool Whip; spoon into crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish
with chocolate curls, if desired. Store leftovers (hah!!) in freezer.

Makes 6-8 servings. Chris and Becky love it. Chocolate crust is good.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Cool Whip container, November, 1980.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 444 Calories; 32g Fat (64%
calories from fat); 9g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 104mg Cholesterol;
291mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Fruit; 6 Fat; 1 1/2
Other Carbohydrates

_____

Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
hlink.net...
Wow! People sure have different tastes my kids think it is too sour and
always add powdeded sugar. I think it tastes best that way too.

I hesitate to comment because again, I can't tell exactly what you are
referring to due to your top posting. However, I also add sugar to cream
before I whip it. If your cream tastes sour, it is spoiled.

Vox Humana wrote:

Alan wrote in message

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

arthlink.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 01:37 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
link.net...

[...]

I'm not attacking anything. I'm just stating my opinion. People tend to
like what they are familiar with. Few people bake from scratch and it seems
that few people cook from basic ingredients. Therefore, they acquire food
preferences for things like Twinkies and shun whole wheat bread made from
scratch. You stated that real whipped cream was not acceptable to most
people. I question this as a survey can be skewed by the polling technique
and the way the questions are stated. If you prefer instant potatoes to
home made mashed potatoes then in some ways you have the advantage. There
are times that I wish that when confronted with choices that I would
gravitate towards the inexpensive, easy, and quick alternative.
Unfortunately I always gravitate towards high-end goods and more labor
intensive foods made from basic ingredients. I have nieces that won't touch
anything but McNuggets and fries. They only drink chocolate milk and soda.
I'm sure they are quite likely to choose Cool Whip over real whipped cream
too.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:38 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
link.net...
Here we have used it all these years and never noticed any odd tastes.
It still beats whipped cream...too much work and you can't store it.

You can get real whipped cream out of a can. It is ultra-pasturized and has
a long shelf life. The only work involved is removing the cap and pressing
the nozzle.

Alan wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 15:43:18 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

rthlink.net...

Old 04-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
link.net...
When you think about it everything we eat is just a combo of chemical
ingredients along with some enzymes and other stuff.
Not much difference.

Using your logic, latex paint would be an acceptable food.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:43 AM
Vox Humana

wrote in message
link.net...
Sounds good to me but I would use cream cheese that is fat free and
this dessert becomes a health food.

Fat free doens't equal healthy. Just as I pointed out earlier, Cool Whip
has saturated fat which isn't healthy. It has 60% of its calories from fat,
and that is twice the recommended level for healthy eating. You mentioned
that your kids ate popsicles and cookies dipped into Cool Whip. That is far
from healthy eating.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:34 AM
[email protected]

Sounds just like my kids.
Isn't that a sorry state for a Chiropractor who leads a wholesome non
allopathic lifestyle.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

link.net...

cool whip sf[_9_] General Cooking 21 18-01-2015 09:52 PM
cool whip Jen General Cooking 28 17-01-2015 05:18 PM
Cool Whip Frosting Anna[_2_] General Cooking 81 04-01-2008 04:57 PM
Cool Whip Janet Wilder[_1_] Diabetic 20 23-12-2007 06:49 PM
Cool Whip and Dream whip Jen General Cooking 26 04-08-2005 02:05 PM