FoodBanter.com

-   -   ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/29740-almond-paste-made-home.html)

Stelios Iko 31-07-2004 05:08 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

Howdy!!! Wondering if anybody has produced successfully almond paste at home
and has a good recipe. I do own a Kenwood Major stand mixer and a food
processor, greek almonds are fantastic and cheap, but I have a premonition
it could be somehow tricky. In Greece we have french almond paste at delis
but a more careful look at the label gave me the creeps(too many
chemicals).To make it worse it's cloyingly sweet.

Thnx to all of you. It's a wonderful forum!!!

graham 31-07-2004 07:09 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

"Stelios Iko" > wrote in message
> Howdy!!! Wondering if anybody has produced successfully almond paste at

home
> and has a good recipe. I do own a Kenwood Major stand mixer and a food
> processor, greek almonds are fantastic and cheap, but I have a premonition
> it could be somehow tricky. In Greece we have french almond paste at delis
> but a more careful look at the label gave me the creeps(too many
> chemicals).To make it worse it's cloyingly sweet.
>
> Thnx to all of you. It's a wonderful forum!!!

Almond paste is usually very sweet. The recipe I use every xmas is as
follows:
200g icing sugar
200g caster sugar (or you could use icing sugar for a smoother paste)
400g ground almonds
1 egg, lightly beaten
2.5ml/1/2tsp almond or vanilla essence (Optional - I leave them out)
Lemon juice

Sift the sugars into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients with enough
lemon juice to make a firm but manageable dough. Knead until smooth. If
your eggs are very large, you may have to add extra almonds and/or sugar -
it's not critical.
I usually buy ground almonds for this but I have blanched and skinned whole
almonds before putting them through a meat grinder. I suppose you could use
the food processor to grind them.

HTH
Graham

graham 31-07-2004 07:09 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

gennarino 02-08-2004 08:26 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

"graham"

> > Howdy!!! Wondering if anybody has produced successfully almond paste at

> home
> > and has a good recipe.

in italy we use a particular kind of almond, the *mandorla amara*.
You can obtain a simil flavour with apricot's nuts, knowed in Italy as
"armelline".
Hello. :-)

--
http://www.gennarino.org
http://www.gennarino.org/forum/

icq 325215944

gennarino 02-08-2004 08:26 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

"graham"

graham 03-08-2004 07:53 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME

"gennarino" > wrote in message

> "graham"
>
> > > Howdy!!! Wondering if anybody has produced successfully almond paste

at
> > home
> > > and has a good recipe.

> in italy we use a particular kind of almond, the *mandorla amara*.
> You can obtain a simil flavour with apricot's nuts, knowed in Italy as
> "armelline".

They have to be treated to remove the prussic acid. Apricot nuts are
exported by Australia for treatment before turning them into artificial
almond paste/marzipan.
Graham

graham 03-08-2004 07:53 PM

ALMOND PASTE MADE AT HOME