Finocchio568

Default Help! Sweet Dough Rising

Ok here's the list of ingredients for the Polish breakfast bread I"ve been
trying to make but it takes forever to rise...

- 8 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk
- 3/4 cup warm half andhalf
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3 tsp. active dry yeast

So does it look like it needs more yeast?
Vox Humana

"Finocchio568" > wrote in message
> Ok here's the list of ingredients for the Polish breakfast bread I"ve been
> trying to make but it takes forever to rise...
>
> - 8 Tbsp. sugar
> - 1/2 tsp. salt
> - 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
> - 1 tsp. cardamom
> - 1 whole egg plus 1 yolk
> - 3/4 cup warm half andhalf
> - 3/4 cup cake flour
> - 3 tsp. active dry yeast
>
> So does it look like it needs more yeast?

It looks almost hopeless to me. There is only 3/4 cup of flour, and that is
low protein cake flour. There isn't much gluten there to hold the CO2.
Then you have 8 tablespoons of sugar. When you exceed three tablespoon of
sugar per cup of flour, you start having problems. In this case you have a
ratio of 10.7 tablespoons of sugar to each cup of flour! Sugar links to
gluten forming proteins and keeps them from combining into gluten strands.
Then you have 6 tablespoons of butter which also interferes with gluten
formation. You could probably add a cup of yeast to this and still have bad
results. Sweetness in yeast raised products generally comes from filling
and/or toppings, not from adding all the sugar to the dough. With the
amount of liquid (egg + dairy) coupled with the butter and the scant amount
of flour, this looks more like a batter than a dough. Where did the recipe
come from?

Finocchio568

oops sorry.. I forgot to add 3 cups all purpose flour

I lost my glasses last night and I'm waiting for a new one tonight... please
forgive my error.
Vox Humana

"Finocchio568" > wrote in message
> oops sorry.. I forgot to add 3 cups all purpose flour
>
> I lost my glasses last night and I'm waiting for a new one tonight...

please
> forgive my error.

Due to the factors (high sugar and high fat) mentioned in my last post, you
will find that sweet dough takes significantly longer to rise than lean
dough. Furthermore, it is more fragile, so you are better off not letting
it rise too much - I would stop a little short of double.

Here are two recipes that work for me. While I like to let most bread rise
at room temperature or in the refrigerator, I proof sweet dough in a warm
place. That is usually in my oven set at 100F or in the oven with a large
pan of boiling water.

I use SAF Instant yeast the I buy in 1 pound bricks. I also tend to use a
generous portion for sweet dough - a slightly rounded tablespoon for each
package specified in the recipe rather than the usual 2 1/4 teaspoons for
each package. SAF makes a yeast specifically for high sugar dough called
SAF Nevada Gold. I haven't tried it, but you can get it at this link:
http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...=1090960645447

Basic Sweet Dough

3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup butter
2 packages yeast
1/3 cup warm water (for the yeast)
3 eggs, room temperature
5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cups AP flour

Coffee cake sweet bread dough

1/4 cup warm water (for the yeast)
1 tablespoon (1 pkg.) yeast
1/3 cup sugar
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups AP flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup warm milk
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
grated zest of 1 lemon
8 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temp. cut into pieces

Dough not rising Shelby A. LaMothe Sourdough 36 12-08-2005 04:16 PM
Dough not rising...why? blondmom Sourdough 8 02-01-2005 02:05 AM
dough not rising? blondmom Baking 2 01-01-2005 08:14 PM
Help! Sweet Dough Rising Finocchio568 Baking 2 28-07-2004 09:47 AM
My Dough Is Rising! Robert Sourdough 2 18-04-2004 05:10 PM