DigitalVinyl

Default Profiteroles...pate a choix...

Trying to make these for a recipe.
After two attempts I realized the recipe I was using was wrong when I
compared it to others. I'm trying a recipe that agrees with most of
them for amounts/ratios/ingredients.

The instructions said the dough/paste should be glossy and smooth. It
wasn't that glossy and I thought thicker than smooth. I made a small
bath from this, then added another egg. The resulting paste was much
smoother, and shiny. I know baking needs very exact measurements...is
this wrong...should I have added something other than egg?

When I pulled the first small batch out they deflated immediately.
Not baked enough?

What excactly makes them .. puffy? The egg?
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Vox Humana

"DigitalVinyl" > wrote in message
> Trying to make these for a recipe.
> After two attempts I realized the recipe I was using was wrong when I
> compared it to others. I'm trying a recipe that agrees with most of
> them for amounts/ratios/ingredients.
>
> The instructions said the dough/paste should be glossy and smooth. It
> wasn't that glossy and I thought thicker than smooth. I made a small
> bath from this, then added another egg. The resulting paste was much
> smoother, and shiny. I know baking needs very exact measurements...is
> this wrong...should I have added something other than egg?
>
> When I pulled the first small batch out they deflated immediately.
> Not baked enough?
>
> What excactly makes them .. puffy? The egg?
> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

There can be several factors that can influence the amount of egg needed for
a batch of pate a choux. To make them well, you need to use a high protein
flour, i.e.. bread flour. The more egg you can add, the better. Therefore,
you need to evaporate as much water as possible to allow the dough to absorb
the egg. So, start with the bread flour, bring to a boil, stir until the
dough forms a ball and then continue beating to evaporate more water. For
better volume, you need to substitute egg white for some of the whole egg.
I would take about 25% of the whole eggs and replace them, by weight, with
egg white (or for each whole egg, use two egg whites). After you have
beaten in the egg whites, start adding whole eggs. Add enough for the dough
to be smooth, glossy, and the right consistency. Form the puffs, and bake
immediately in a very hot oven, turning it down in the second half of
baking. The high protein flour and egg whites will give a good structure.
The high heat from the steam that is trapped by the structure causes the
dough to puff. Reducing the temperature and baking for a long time will
help crisp them. I generally remove them from the oven, cut the top off,
scoop out the remaining wet dough, and then retuning them to the oven with
the door slightly ajar to dry.

The protein content of the flour, the amount of water that you evaporate
from the dough, and the size of the eggs will determine how much egg you
will need.

You can see video and instructions he
http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/love.html#
http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/choux.htm

DigitalVinyl

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

>"DigitalVinyl" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Trying to make these for a recipe.
>> After two attempts I realized the recipe I was using was wrong when I
>> compared it to others. I'm trying a recipe that agrees with most of
>> them for amounts/ratios/ingredients.
>>
>> The instructions said the dough/paste should be glossy and smooth. It
>> wasn't that glossy and I thought thicker than smooth. I made a small
>> bath from this, then added another egg. The resulting paste was much
>> smoother, and shiny. I know baking needs very exact measurements...is
>> this wrong...should I have added something other than egg?
>>
>> When I pulled the first small batch out they deflated immediately.
>> Not baked enough?
>>
>> What excactly makes them .. puffy? The egg?
>> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

>There can be several factors that can influence the amount of egg needed for
>a batch of pate a choux. To make them well, you need to use a high protein
>flour, i.e.. bread flour.

I'll have to remember that.
>The more egg you can add, the better. Therefore,
>you need to evaporate as much water as possible to allow the dough to absorb
>the egg.

One instructional site said if you dryed it too much it will make the
profiterole tops crack...which some of my larger ones did have
crevices on the top...but none broke open.
>So, start with the bread flour, bring to a boil, stir until the
>dough forms a ball and then continue beating to evaporate more water. For
>better volume, you need to substitute egg white for some of the whole egg.
>I would take about 25% of the whole eggs and replace them, by weight, with
>egg white (or for each whole egg, use two egg whites). After you have
>beaten in the egg whites, start adding whole eggs. Add enough for the dough
>to be smooth, glossy, and the right consistency. Form the puffs, and bake
>immediately in a very hot oven, turning it down in the second half of
>baking. The high protein flour and egg whites will give a good structure.
>The high heat from the steam that is trapped by the structure causes the
>dough to puff. Reducing the temperature and baking for a long time will
>help crisp them. I generally remove them from the oven, cut the top off,
>scoop out the remaining wet dough, and then retuning them to the oven with
>the door slightly ajar to dry.
>
>The protein content of the flour, the amount of water that you evaporate
>from the dough, and the size of the eggs will determine how much egg you
>will need.

Two batches came out nice. (Finally!) The first few I pulled out
weren't golden brown on the sides, just top...so they deflated. Once I
let them crisp all around they held shape. The second batch had a
little too much egg as the paste was getting thinner and spreading
more, but they puffed up beautifully! Guess the recipe is a little
forgiving on the over-egging. I had no idea people pull the extra
dough out them before this.

My biggest problem and confidence shaker was the recipe. It is from
many years back--a Profiterole Cake from a local restaurant. The
recipe was written in a combination of oz. & cups (confusing since
none of my measurers have oz). The profiterole part is just wrong--no
where near enough flour. I had soup on the stove(12 oz. liquid 1.5 oz
flour). The dark chocolate mouse also has ingredients that go unused
and differ in amounts from the instructional text.

The cake is white mousse-filled profiteroles, layered in a bowl with
dark mousse gluing them together. Invert for a cake with shaved
chocolate & powdered sugar on top. The dark mousse softened too
quickly outside of the fridge, and I couldn't unstick the gooey cake
from the bowl. I ended up with a gooey mound of profiteroles.

Next time I'm thinking a regular chocolate mouse (maybe with a little
coffee flavor, white choc too sweet) as the filling and lining the
bowl with saran wrap so it inverts easily. I'll find different recipes
for the elements and put the cake together that way.

>You can see video and instructions he
>http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/love.html#
>http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/choux.htm

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Dee Randall

Don'tknow where you're living, but at 10:00 pm just in a minute or two, on
PBS-U, Julia Childs' guest is making proferliteroles.
Dee

"DigitalVinyl" > wrote in message
> Trying to make these for a recipe.
> After two attempts I realized the recipe I was using was wrong when I
> compared it to others. I'm trying a recipe that agrees with most of
> them for amounts/ratios/ingredients.
>
> The instructions said the dough/paste should be glossy and smooth. It
> wasn't that glossy and I thought thicker than smooth. I made a small
> bath from this, then added another egg. The resulting paste was much
> smoother, and shiny. I know baking needs very exact measurements...is
> this wrong...should I have added something other than egg?
>
> When I pulled the first small batch out they deflated immediately.
> Not baked enough?
>
> What excactly makes them .. puffy? The egg?
> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> Don'tknow where you're living, but at 10:00 pm just in a minute or
> two, on PBS-U, Julia Childs' guest is making proferliteroles.
> Dee

What the hell are "proferliteroles"? <G>

> "DigitalVinyl" > wrote in message
>> Trying to make these for a recipe.
>> After two attempts I realized the recipe I was using was wrong when I
>> compared it to others. I'm trying a recipe that agrees with most of
>> them for amounts/ratios/ingredients.
>>
>> The instructions said the dough/paste should be glossy and smooth. It
>> wasn't that glossy and I thought thicker than smooth. I made a small
>> bath from this, then added another egg. The resulting paste was much
>> smoother, and shiny. I know baking needs very exact measurements...is
>> this wrong...should I have added something other than egg?
>>
>> When I pulled the first small batch out they deflated immediately.
>> Not baked enough?
>>
>> What excactly makes them .. puffy? The egg?
>> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Dee Randall

You don't have to swear at me <grin> I spelled it incorrectly in the first
place, so I guess it's OK.
"profiterole" is the correct spelling.

I don't know anything about making them, so I wanted to see it myself, but
the Julia Child demonstrator,
"Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide says
that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole ==
Definition: noun [usually plural]
a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate sauce,
usually served in a pile.

These wicked little devils are an annoyance of mine: in Italy years ago, as
we sat down at a restaurant, they were moving the dessert cart around which
contained profiteroles. I wanted to order them as I had never seen them
before and they looked so delicious. My husband thinks that we must go by
the book and order dessert when the time comes, but I KNEW these wouldn't
last until my dessert time rolled around. They were gone when dessert time
rolled around.

I never see the word, that I don't think of this little experience. I
have eaten a few since here and there, but of course they never measure up
to what I have dreamed up in my mind that I missed that day.

I hope you run up against one some day.
Happy eating!
Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Don'tknow where you're living, but at 10:00 pm just in a minute or
> > two, on PBS-U, Julia Childs' guest is making proferliteroles.
> > Dee

> What the hell are "proferliteroles"? <G>
>

> > "DigitalVinyl" > wrote in message
> >> Trying to make these for a recipe.
> >> After two attempts I realized the recipe I was using was wrong when I
> >> compared it to others. I'm trying a recipe that agrees with most of
> >> them for amounts/ratios/ingredients.
> >>
> >> The instructions said the dough/paste should be glossy and smooth. It
> >> wasn't that glossy and I thought thicker than smooth. I made a small
> >> bath from this, then added another egg. The resulting paste was much
> >> smoother, and shiny. I know baking needs very exact measurements...is
> >> this wrong...should I have added something other than egg?
> >>
> >> When I pulled the first small batch out they deflated immediately.
> >> Not baked enough?
> >>
> >> What excactly makes them .. puffy? The egg?
> >> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Boron Elgar

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:55:04 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>You don't have to swear at me <grin> I spelled it incorrectly in the first
>place, so I guess it's OK.
>"profiterole" is the correct spelling.
>
>I don't know anything about making them, so I wanted to see it myself, but
>the Julia Child demonstrator,
>"Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide says
>that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole ==
>Definition: noun [usually plural]
>a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate sauce,
>usually served in a pile.
>
>These wicked little devils are an annoyance of mine: in Italy years ago, as
>we sat down at a restaurant, they were moving the dessert cart around which
>contained profiteroles. I wanted to order them as I had never seen them
>before and they looked so delicious. My husband thinks that we must go by
>the book and order dessert when the time comes, but I KNEW these wouldn't
>last until my dessert time rolled around. They were gone when dessert time
>rolled around.
>
> I never see the word, that I don't think of this little experience. I
>have eaten a few since here and there, but of course they never measure up
>to what I have dreamed up in my mind that I missed that day.
>
>I hope you run up against one some day.
>Happy eating!
>Dee

If you are in the US near a Costco or BJs, both sell a box of
miniature cream puffs (for that is, indeed, what profiteroles really
are) in the frozen section. I believe the ones from Costco come from
Holland. . YOu can then pile them up to your heart's desire & slather
them with chocolate sauce...

....as a matter of fact, I have a set of twins who are mighty partial
to these and I bought a box for them for New Year's Eve. I then took
about 4-6 oz of bittersweet chocolate and zapped it with about the
same about of half & half to come up with a quick and easy ganache for
teens...they took the puffs and dipped them in the ganache.

I have much better luck with pate choux when I make larger shapes,
myself. Growing teen boys have little appreciation for the finer
aspects of pate choux, anyway, and I would have been heartbroken to
have all that work swallowed in 5 minutes.

Boron
Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> You don't have to swear at me <grin> I spelled it incorrectly in the
> first place, so I guess it's OK.
> "profiterole" is the correct spelling.

Truly, I was just teasing, Dee. I know you know how to spell it. Yep,
they are delicious and not really hard to make, just time-consuming.

> I don't know anything about making them, so I wanted to see it myself,
> but the Julia Child demonstrator,
> "Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide
> says that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole ==
> Definition: noun [usually plural]
> a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate
> sauce, usually served in a pile.
>
> These wicked little devils are an annoyance of mine: in Italy years
> ago, as we sat down at a restaurant, they were moving the dessert cart
> around which contained profiteroles. I wanted to order them as I had
> never seen them before and they looked so delicious. My husband thinks
> that we must go by the book and order dessert when the time comes, but
> I KNEW these wouldn't last until my dessert time rolled around. They
> were gone when dessert time rolled around.

That's really too bad that you didn't get to have them. You'll probably
never forget it; I know I wouldn't.

> I never see the word, that I don't think of this little experience.
> have eaten a few since here and there, but of course they never
> measure up to what I have dreamed up in my mind that I missed that
> day.
>
> I hope you run up against one some day.
> Happy eating!
> Dee

If I weren't on Weigh****chers right now, I'd be sorely tempted to make
some this weekend. Alas, I would probably eat them all!

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Don'tknow where you're living, but at 10:00 pm just in a minute or
>> > two, on PBS-U, Julia Childs' guest is making proferliteroles.
>> > Dee

>> What the hell are "proferliteroles"? <G>

Dee Randall

So THAT's what those are -- they are always giving them out! I always eat
one and then walk away saying to myself that they aren't good enough to
buy -- BUT, I will certainly take a box home tomorrow -- and do what you say
in this snip.

<snip> I then took
> about 4-6 oz of bittersweet chocolate and zapped it with about the
> same about of half & half to come up with a quick and easy ganache for
> teens...they took the puffs and dipped them in the ganache. <snip>

Do you mean "I then took about 4-6 oz. of bittersweet chocolate and zapped
it with "about 4-6 oz. of half & half" ..

Just want to make sure I understand.

I think I would have to be successful making pate choux before I would
tackle profiteroles.

Well -- whoa! I guess I'll try this the Costco miniature cream puffs.
(that is unless they have hydrogenated oil -- that is an absolute no-no for
me) I hope they are made with butter.

I have not ever tried making pate choux, but I think in a few weeks, I
might -- I was sort of under the impression it was like making croissant's,
but I see that it is not.

Thanks ever.
dee

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:55:04 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>
> >You don't have to swear at me <grin> I spelled it incorrectly in the

first
> >place, so I guess it's OK.
> >"profiterole" is the correct spelling.
> >
> >I don't know anything about making them, so I wanted to see it myself,

but
> >the Julia Child demonstrator,
> >"Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide says
> >that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole ==
> >Definition: noun [usually plural]
> >a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate

sauce,
> >usually served in a pile.
> >
> >These wicked little devils are an annoyance of mine: in Italy years ago,

as
> >we sat down at a restaurant, they were moving the dessert cart around

which
> >contained profiteroles. I wanted to order them as I had never seen them
> >before and they looked so delicious. My husband thinks that we must go by
> >the book and order dessert when the time comes, but I KNEW these wouldn't
> >last until my dessert time rolled around. They were gone when dessert

time
> >rolled around.
> >
> > I never see the word, that I don't think of this little experience. I
> >have eaten a few since here and there, but of course they never measure

up
> >to what I have dreamed up in my mind that I missed that day.
> >
> >I hope you run up against one some day.
> >Happy eating!
> >Dee

> If you are in the US near a Costco or BJs, both sell a box of
> miniature cream puffs (for that is, indeed, what profiteroles really
> are) in the frozen section. I believe the ones from Costco come from
> Holland. . YOu can then pile them up to your heart's desire & slather
> them with chocolate sauce...
>
> ...as a matter of fact, I have a set of twins who are mighty partial
> to these and I bought a box for them for New Year's Eve. I then took
> about 4-6 oz of bittersweet chocolate and zapped it with about the
> same about of half & half to come up with a quick and easy ganache for
> teens...they took the puffs and dipped them in the ganache.
>
> I have much better luck with pate choux when I make larger shapes,
> myself. Growing teen boys have little appreciation for the finer
> aspects of pate choux, anyway, and I would have been heartbroken to
> have all that work swallowed in 5 minutes.
>
> Boron

Dee Randall

Wayne,
Good luck with your weight watcher's program. The love of eating and
cooking takes its toll on our lives.
I salute you!
Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > You don't have to swear at me <grin> I spelled it incorrectly in the
> > first place, so I guess it's OK.
> > "profiterole" is the correct spelling.

> Truly, I was just teasing, Dee. I know you know how to spell it. Yep,
> they are delicious and not really hard to make, just time-consuming.
>

> > I don't know anything about making them, so I wanted to see it myself,
> > but the Julia Child demonstrator,
> > "Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide
> > says that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole ==
> > Definition: noun [usually plural]
> > a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate
> > sauce, usually served in a pile.
> >
> > These wicked little devils are an annoyance of mine: in Italy years
> > ago, as we sat down at a restaurant, they were moving the dessert cart
> > around which contained profiteroles. I wanted to order them as I had
> > never seen them before and they looked so delicious. My husband thinks
> > that we must go by the book and order dessert when the time comes, but
> > I KNEW these wouldn't last until my dessert time rolled around. They
> > were gone when dessert time rolled around.

> That's really too bad that you didn't get to have them. You'll probably
> never forget it; I know I wouldn't.
>

> > I never see the word, that I don't think of this little experience.
> > have eaten a few since here and there, but of course they never
> > measure up to what I have dreamed up in my mind that I missed that
> > day.
> >
> > I hope you run up against one some day.
> > Happy eating!
> > Dee

> If I weren't on Weigh****chers right now, I'd be sorely tempted to make
> some this weekend. Alas, I would probably eat them all!
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> > message . ..
> >> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> >> :

> >> What the hell are "proferliteroles"? <G>

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in news:vvcju4i25p2685
@corp.supernews.com:

> Wayne,
> Good luck with your weight watcher's program. The love of eating and
> cooking takes its toll on our lives.
> I salute you!
> Dee

Thanks, Dee.
Boron Elgar

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 00:13:08 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>So THAT's what those are -- they are always giving them out! I always eat
>one and then walk away saying to myself that they aren't good enough to
>buy -- BUT, I will certainly take a box home tomorrow -- and do what you say
>in this snip.
>
><snip> I then took
>> about 4-6 oz of bittersweet chocolate and zapped it with about the
>> same about of half & half to come up with a quick and easy ganache for
>> teens...they took the puffs and dipped them in the ganache. <snip>

>Do you mean "I then took about 4-6 oz. of bittersweet chocolate and zapped
>it with "about 4-6 oz. of half & half" ..
>
>Just want to make sure I understand.

Yes...then adjust chocolate to half & half to get the consistency that
you seek. You may want it thinner or thicker. Or use Nestle's
chocolate bits if you are experimenting & leave the good chocolate
alone at this stage.

Boron

DigitalVinyl

"Dee Randall" > wrote:

>"Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide says
>that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole ==
>Definition: noun [usually plural]
>a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate sauce,
>usually served in a pile.

Profiterole and pate a choux are the same thing. I usually see them
called "profiteroles" when they are filled with ice cream. But the
recipe for the pastry is the same.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Françoise

Hi,

You are right: "Profiterole and pate a choux are the same thing."

In the Larousse Gastronomique English edition, here is what is written ab=
out it:

=93Profiterole (Pastry) -- Little balls of chou paste (see DOUGH) piped t=
hrough a
forcing (pastry) bag. These little =E9clairs may, after cooking, be fille=
d with
various substances: game or other pur=E9e, cheese mixtures, etc. or sweet=

custards, jams, etc.
Profiteroles, filed with vanilla custard and iced with caramelized syrup,=
are
used for making Croquembouches and G=E2teaux St. Honor=E9.
Profiteroles with a savoury filling are used to garnish soup
Profiteroles are usually forced through a forcing (pastry) bag with a pla=
in
round nozzle on to a baking tin. They are brushed with egg and baked in a=

moderate oven.
Garnish the Profiteroles with French pastry cream(see CREAM) or sweetened=

whipped cream. Arrange in a pyramid on a dessert platter and pour over Ch=
ocolate
sauce See SAUCE.=94

My mother used to make them all the time. She made them the size of a ten=
nis
ball filled them with sweetened whipped cream or with French pastry cream=
that
we call =93Cr=E8me patissi=E8re=94. She then dusted them with powdered su=
gar and
arranged in a single layer on a serving plate. My mother was a good cook =
and
enjoy it. When we had visitors we always had a choice of two or more dess=
erts.
And these =93Choux =E0 la cr=E8me=94 as we used to call them was often on=
e of the
choices. When I was 13 years old or so, my mother ask me to clean the tab=
le for
her while she continued to entertain her guests. Almost every time I went=
from
the dining room to the kitchen I would eat one of them. I ate so many tha=
t I was
sick during the night and for many years after I could not eat any anymor=
e. But
now I enjoy them again. I made them a few times but I eat too many for my=
own
good. So I do not make them anymore. I would make them somewhat smaller. =
I also
made, with the same dough, the chocolate =E9clairs, which are long and na=
rrow. I
would cover them with chocolate sauce. A friend of mine does them small 1=
- 1=BD
diameter and fills them with all kind of mixtures and serves them as appe=
tizers.
She does discard the top of them.

They are at their best made the same day as the party or meal and filled =
almost
at the last minute. I know Costco has them frozen. They are good but far =
from
the fresh ones with a more crispy texture to the dough.

Fran=E7oise.

DigitalVinyl wrote:

> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
> >"Nick Love" did not demonstrate the profiterole even tho the Guide sa=

ys
> >that . He demonstrated pate a choux, but no profiterole =3D=3D
> >Definition: noun [usually plural]
> >a small pastry cake with a cream filling and a covering of chocolate s=

auce,
> >usually served in a pile.

> Profiterole and pate a choux are the same thing. I usually see them
> called "profiteroles" when they are filled with ice cream. But the
> recipe for the pastry is the same.
> DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Reg

Françoise wrote:

> You are right: "Profiterole and pate a choux are the same thing."

Distinction: Profiteroles are a finished product. Pate a choux is the
dough it's made from.

Wayne Boatwright

Reg > wrote in news:qN4Kb.51590$lq4.154
@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

> Françoise wrote:
>
>> You are right: "Profiterole and pate a choux are the same thing."

> Distinction: Profiteroles are a finished product. Pate a choux is the
> dough it's made from.

Pick a nit!

Dee Randall

Pick a Nit????

I always was of the understanding that pate a choux is the dough and that
dough (pate a choux) can be used to make profiteroles (see my definition
below) and HUNDREDS of other recipes by using the pate a choux (dough) for
thingies such as , éclairs, cream puffs, as well as filling with all kinds
of vegetables and fruits, fish/salmon etc.

Profiteroles definition: (Mine)

1)pate a choux as the dough 2) filled with a cream mixture and 3) covered
with chocolate (or other) sauce.

If you go to google and click on "images" and type “profiteroles,” you will
see that they almost all of the jpgs are what I describe. They fit my
description of a finished product, not a baked dough, and they are all in
my opinion what I call profiteroles, NOT pate a choux;

Pate a choux is a dough!!!

the nit picker picks again.

PS, these pate a choux filled with cream inside are sitting in my freezer
(bought at BJ's Saturday) called miniature cream puffs, NOT pate a choux and
NOT profiteroles. When I pour my hot little chocolate sauce over them,
they will be profiteroles.

Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> Reg > wrote in news:qN4Kb.51590$lq4.154
> @newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > Françoise wrote:
> >
> >> You are right: "Profiterole and pate a choux are the same thing."

> > Distinction: Profiteroles are a finished product. Pate a choux is the
> > dough it's made from.
> >

> Pick a nit!

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> Pick a Nit????
>
> I always was of the understanding that pate a choux is the dough and
> that dough (pate a choux) can be used to make profiteroles (see my
> definition below) and HUNDREDS of other recipes by using the pate a
> choux (dough) for thingies such as , éclairs, cream puffs, as well as
> filling with all kinds of vegetables and fruits, fish/salmon etc.

Etc., etc., etc.....

My undestanding is that all profiteroles are made from paté a choux which,
by the way, is more of a heavy batter than a dough. Admittedly, not all
paté a choux ends up as profiteroles. IMHO, the earlier poster was only
trying to say that profiteroles "are" (made from) paté a choux (not the
other way around). Perhaps I was reading into it my own understanding.

"Pick a Nit????" All I meant was that it shouldn't be such a big f******
deal! Zeeesh! <G>

Wayne
Dee Randall

I'm just trying to get an understanding of pate a choux vs. profiteroles,
since I've made neither. Perhaps I've got it!
thanks everybody.
Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Pick a Nit????
> >
> > I always was of the understanding that pate a choux is the dough and
> > that dough (pate a choux) can be used to make profiteroles (see my
> > definition below) and HUNDREDS of other recipes by using the pate a
> > choux (dough) for thingies such as , éclairs, cream puffs, as well as
> > filling with all kinds of vegetables and fruits, fish/salmon etc.

> Etc., etc., etc.....
>
> My undestanding is that all profiteroles are made from paté a choux which,
> by the way, is more of a heavy batter than a dough. Admittedly, not all
> paté a choux ends up as profiteroles. IMHO, the earlier poster was only
> trying to say that profiteroles "are" (made from) paté a choux (not the
> other way around). Perhaps I was reading into it my own understanding.
>
> "Pick a Nit????" All I meant was that it shouldn't be such a big f******
> deal! Zeeesh! <G>
>
> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I'm just trying to get an understanding of pate a choux vs.
> profiteroles, since I've made neither. Perhaps I've got it!
> thanks everybody.
> Dee

I think you've got it, too. I'm in total agreement with your assessment
and I actually have made paté a choix many times, usually to make large
cream puff shells or shells for eclairs. I confess I have never actually
made profiteroles, although I've eaten my share. I would not like the
tedium of all those tiny little things.

Cheers,
Wayne

Profiteroles - how early can I bake them? Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 23 18-01-2011 01:03 PM
how to: paté aem General Cooking 4 11-03-2010 10:37 PM
Profiteroles in Italy Dee Dee General Cooking 25 03-10-2007 03:02 AM
Wedding dress for baker's wife made of profiteroles - truly! Bronwyn General Cooking 1 14-10-2006 12:32 AM
Ian's Pate - Chuck Reid Wine 9 14-10-2003 11:22 PM