Jane Lumley

Default Machine mixing; advice needed

I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
#2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.

But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.
So the options seem to be

1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
few months.
2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
could knead two halves of a batch at once.
3. Supplement it with a bread machine, assuming they can be got to do
mix and knead only. Again, range is limited in the UK; no Zojirushi,
for instance. I gather these are only good for the kinds of doughs that
are easy to knead by hand, though some say they are best with brioche.

I'd be grateful for thoughts and appliance recommendations.

--
Jane Lumley
Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:42:12 +0100
Jane Lumley > wrote:

> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.
> So the options seem to be
>=20
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.=20
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once. =20

Kenwood fudges their capacity stats a little bit. If you read the small
print, you can make 11 pounds of cookies or cakes, but only 5 pounds of
bread. This is why i have personally decided against the kenwood.=20

=20
Eric Jorgensen

Jane Lumley > wrote:

> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.
> So the options seem to be
>=20
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.=20
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once. =20

Kenwood fudges their capacity stats a little bit. If you read the small
print, you can make 11 pounds of cookies or cakes, but only 5 pounds of
bread. This is why i have personally decided against the kenwood.=20

=20
Eric Jorgensen

Jane Lumley > wrote:

> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.
> So the options seem to be
>=20
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.=20
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once. =20

Kenwood fudges their capacity stats a little bit. If you read the small
print, you can make 11 pounds of cookies or cakes, but only 5 pounds of
bread. This is why i have personally decided against the kenwood.=20

=20
Darrell Grainger

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Jane Lumley wrote:

> I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
> an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
> half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
> sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
> though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
> #2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
> bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.
>
> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.
> So the options seem to be
>
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once.
> 3. Supplement it with a bread machine, assuming they can be got to do
> mix and knead only. Again, range is limited in the UK; no Zojirushi,
> for instance. I gather these are only good for the kinds of doughs that
> are easy to knead by hand, though some say they are best with brioche.

Are there other models of the KitchenAid that would be better? I checked
the USA web site for the model I purchased and it is not there. It is a
525 Watt motor and a 6 quart bowl. It is a lot like the Professional 6
series of bowl-life mixers. The major differences are that 1) mine was not
made in the USA and 2) the beater and dough hook are coated.

I have seen people in this newsgroup complaining that the models made in
the USA are lacking in quality and that they come with burnished beater
and dough hook. The burnished equipment tends to rust.

I've found in my country, if you want something better than a KitchenAid
you have to go for the really expensive models like the Hobart. Then
again, if you are going through mixers every six months it might be worth
investing in a Hobart. Maybe look into getting a used Hobart.

--=20
Don't send e-mail to

Darrell Grainger

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Jane Lumley wrote:

> I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
> an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
> half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
> sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
> though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
> #2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
> bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.
>
> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.
> So the options seem to be
>
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once.
> 3. Supplement it with a bread machine, assuming they can be got to do
> mix and knead only. Again, range is limited in the UK; no Zojirushi,
> for instance. I gather these are only good for the kinds of doughs that
> are easy to knead by hand, though some say they are best with brioche.

Are there other models of the KitchenAid that would be better? I checked
the USA web site for the model I purchased and it is not there. It is a
525 Watt motor and a 6 quart bowl. It is a lot like the Professional 6
series of bowl-life mixers. The major differences are that 1) mine was not
made in the USA and 2) the beater and dough hook are coated.

I have seen people in this newsgroup complaining that the models made in
the USA are lacking in quality and that they come with burnished beater
and dough hook. The burnished equipment tends to rust.

I've found in my country, if you want something better than a KitchenAid
you have to go for the really expensive models like the Hobart. Then
again, if you are going through mixers every six months it might be worth
investing in a Hobart. Maybe look into getting a used Hobart.

--=20
Don't send e-mail to
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>One can only get enormous,
>frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.

I personally have had no success with heavy dough with a home mixer.
They just don't have the horsepower or the gearing to withstand it for
long.

Here in the US you can find used but very good Hobart 20 quart mixers
for just over $1000 or so. Older ones can go for less, but they are
made for pro use and last forever, so they hold their value well.

You might find a good ugly one. If it works well, you can clean and
paint it and Bob's your uncle.

Good luck!
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>One can only get enormous,
>frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.

I personally have had no success with heavy dough with a home mixer.
They just don't have the horsepower or the gearing to withstand it for
long.

Here in the US you can find used but very good Hobart 20 quart mixers
for just over $1000 or so. Older ones can go for less, but they are
made for pro use and last forever, so they hold their value well.

You might find a good ugly one. If it works well, you can clean and
paint it and Bob's your uncle.

Good luck!
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>One can only get enormous,
>frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.

I personally have had no success with heavy dough with a home mixer.
They just don't have the horsepower or the gearing to withstand it for
long.

Here in the US you can find used but very good Hobart 20 quart mixers
for just over $1000 or so. Older ones can go for less, but they are
made for pro use and last forever, so they hold their value well.

You might find a good ugly one. If it works well, you can clean and
paint it and Bob's your uncle.

Good luck!
Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:10:33 GMT
Petey the Wonder Dog > wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >One can only get enormous,
> >frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.

>=20
> I personally have had no success with heavy dough with a home mixer.
> They just don't have the horsepower or the gearing to withstand it for
> long.

I routinely make 11 pound batches of bread in a 20+ years old Bosch,
from before they even applied the "Universal" name. Couple hundred watts
weaker than the current model.=20

It's so old, the knob is avacado green.=20

Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:10:33 GMT
Petey the Wonder Dog > wrote:

> Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
> >One can only get enormous,
> >frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for =A32k+.

>=20
> I personally have had no success with heavy dough with a home mixer.
> They just don't have the horsepower or the gearing to withstand it for
> long.

I routinely make 11 pound batches of bread in a 20+ years old Bosch,
from before they even applied the "Universal" name. Couple hundred watts
weaker than the current model.=20

It's so old, the knob is avacado green.=20

Jane Lumley

In article >, Jane Lumley
> writes
>I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
>an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
>half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
>sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
>though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
>#2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
>bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I did eventually find a new Hobart
for 1990 GBP, and a second-hard one for 600, but decided in the end to
go for a Kenwood Major, on the principle that I could alternate it with
the KitchenAid so that only one was being repaired at one time! If I'm
still frustrated after 12 months, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a
Hobart.

I don't use a food processor for anything but very wet foccaccia dough
(and piecrust) but was interested that people recommended it.
--
Jane Lumley
Jane Lumley

In article >, Jane Lumley
> writes
>I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
>an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
>half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
>sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
>though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
>#2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
>bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I did eventually find a new Hobart
for 1990 GBP, and a second-hard one for 600, but decided in the end to
go for a Kenwood Major, on the principle that I could alternate it with
the KitchenAid so that only one was being repaired at one time! If I'm
still frustrated after 12 months, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a
Hobart.

I don't use a food processor for anything but very wet foccaccia dough
(and piecrust) but was interested that people recommended it.
--
Jane Lumley
Sailing Fan

http://www.instawares.com/Mixer-10-Q...IX7110.0.7.htm
http://www.anvilworld.com/products/P...prod=47&ID=142
South African made. Don't know if they sell in UK.
http://www.lieme.com.br/ingles/batedeira.html
Brazilian made. Might be sold in USA under the name Fleetwood.
Two interesting mixers that fall between home units and commercial units.

Jane Lumley wrote:

> I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
> an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
> half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
> sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
> though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
> #2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
> bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.
>
> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.
> So the options seem to be
>
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once.
> 3. Supplement it with a bread machine, assuming they can be got to do
> mix and knead only. Again, range is limited in the UK; no Zojirushi,
> for instance. I gather these are only good for the kinds of doughs that
> are easy to knead by hand, though some say they are best with brioche.
>
> I'd be grateful for thoughts and appliance recommendations.

Fred

"Jane Lumley" > wrote in message
> I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
> an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
> half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
> sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
> though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
> #2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
> bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.
>
> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.
> So the options seem to be
>
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once.
> 3. Supplement it with a bread machine, assuming they can be got to do
> mix and knead only. Again, range is limited in the UK; no Zojirushi,
> for instance. I gather these are only good for the kinds of doughs that
> are easy to knead by hand, though some say they are best with brioche.
>
> I'd be grateful for thoughts and appliance recommendations.
>
> --
> Jane Lumley

Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing bread
dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I do.
If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do what
I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while the other
one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9 months and
then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at speed #2. If
you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death rather quickly.
There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long making 2 bread doughs
per day. I usually only make one.

The best solution, of course is the commercial mixer. There are some German
made 10 qt. models that are fairly affordable. I use one occasionally in
the bake shop. I can't remember the name but they should be less expensive
in the UK than the Hobart units.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Fred

"Jane Lumley" > wrote in message
> I have been puddling along with a KitchenAid Artisan for six months, in
> an increasing sweat of frustration over its capacity. Even with only
> half a batch of stiff dough like bagel dough or stick dough like a
> sourdough, it struggles, and today it burnt out for the third time,
> though it was well below its own alleged maximum capacity and only on
> #2. I've been thinking about replacing it since I make 2 batches of
> bread a day and handkneading is a bit too time-consuming.
>
> But what with? Here in the midnight that is the UK, one cannot get a
> Bosch Universal or an Electrolux Magic Mill. One can only get enormous,
> frighteningly expensive professional mixers like the Hobart for £2k+.
> So the options seem to be
>
> 1. Struggle on with the Kitchen Aid, doing a lot of hand-kneading every
> few months.
> 2. Supplement it by getting another large stand mixer; there's a
> Kenwood of slightly superior capacity, and I suppose this means that I
> could knead two halves of a batch at once.
> 3. Supplement it with a bread machine, assuming they can be got to do
> mix and knead only. Again, range is limited in the UK; no Zojirushi,
> for instance. I gather these are only good for the kinds of doughs that
> are easy to knead by hand, though some say they are best with brioche.
>
> I'd be grateful for thoughts and appliance recommendations.
>
> --
> Jane Lumley

Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing bread
dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I do.
If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do what
I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while the other
one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9 months and
then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at speed #2. If
you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death rather quickly.
There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long making 2 bread doughs
per day. I usually only make one.

The best solution, of course is the commercial mixer. There are some German
made 10 qt. models that are fairly affordable. I use one occasionally in
the bake shop. I can't remember the name but they should be less expensive
in the UK than the Hobart units.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
"Fred" > wrote:

> Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing bread
> dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the old
one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
repair - and it's still going strong.

So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.

I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

Eric Jorgensen

"Fred" > wrote:

> Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing bread
> dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the old
one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
repair - and it's still going strong.

So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.

I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

Janet Bostwick

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> "Fred" > wrote:
>

> > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing

bread
> > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
> Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
> made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the

old
> one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
> my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> repair - and it's still going strong.
>
> So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
>
> I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a week,
often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch capacity
and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach the bread
making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any kind) is mixed
a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an autolyse.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> "Fred" > wrote:
>

> > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing

bread
> > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
> Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
> made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the

old
> one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
> my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> repair - and it's still going strong.
>
> So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
>
> I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a week,
often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch capacity
and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach the bread
making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any kind) is mixed
a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an autolyse.
Janet

Fred

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> > "Fred" > wrote:
> >

> > > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing

> bread
> > > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might

do
> > > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about

8-9
> > > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them

at
> > > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> > I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old

Bosch
> > Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it

that
> > made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> > requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the

> old
> > one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point

after
> > my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> > repair - and it's still going strong.
> >
> > So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
> >
> > I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.
> >

> My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a

week,
> often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch capacity
> and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach the bread
> making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any kind) is

mixed
> a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an

autolyse.
> Janet

OK, so you would like me to amend my statement to say that consumer mixers
available today aren't strong enough to mix bread dough every day. No
problem.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Fred

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Eric Jorgensen" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> > "Fred" > wrote:
> >

> > > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing

> bread
> > > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might

do
> > > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about

8-9
> > > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them

at
> > > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> > I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old

Bosch
> > Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it

that
> > made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> > requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the

> old
> > one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point

after
> > my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> > repair - and it's still going strong.
> >
> > So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
> >
> > I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.
> >

> My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a

week,
> often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch capacity
> and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach the bread
> making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any kind) is

mixed
> a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an

autolyse.
> Janet

OK, so you would like me to amend my statement to say that consumer mixers
available today aren't strong enough to mix bread dough every day. No
problem.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:16:25 -0500
"Fred" > wrote:

> > > I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.
> > >

> > My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a

> week,
> > often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch
> > capacity and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach
> > the bread making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any
> > kind) is

> mixed
> > a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an

> autolyse.
> > Janet
> >

> OK, so you would like me to amend my statement to say that consumer
> mixers available today aren't strong enough to mix bread dough every day.
> No
> problem.

*shrug*

KA 28 years ago was Hobart rather than the washing machine company. I'd
buy a refurbished 30 year old KA, no problem.

The Bosch today is actually stronger than the Bosch 20 years ago.

And i machine knead for 12 minutes. I'm not at all careful with it. One
time i had it on a smooth countertop that was a little greasy, left the
room, heard a *wham*, came back to find the bosch lying on it's side on
the floor, still kneading an apparently off-center load of dough. It'd
walked itself right off the counter. It's no worse for wear.

I keep meaning to open it up, clean things, give it a liberal
application of polysynthetic grease, but, meh.

To be fair, I was using the steel mixing bowl. Not sure how the plastic
one would have fared.

Eric Jorgensen

"Fred" > wrote:

> > > I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.
> > >

> > My KA is 28 years old(KA45). I have made bread in it several times a

> week,
> > often every day for all those years. I also go way beyond batch
> > capacity and it has never broken down. It is all in how you approach
> > the bread making and how dry you make your bread dough. My bread (any
> > kind) is

> mixed
> > a couple of minutes and then kneaded for about 4 minutes after an

> autolyse.
> > Janet
> >

> OK, so you would like me to amend my statement to say that consumer
> mixers available today aren't strong enough to mix bread dough every day.
> No
> problem.

*shrug*

KA 28 years ago was Hobart rather than the washing machine company. I'd
buy a refurbished 30 year old KA, no problem.

The Bosch today is actually stronger than the Bosch 20 years ago.

And i machine knead for 12 minutes. I'm not at all careful with it. One
time i had it on a smooth countertop that was a little greasy, left the
room, heard a *wham*, came back to find the bosch lying on it's side on
the floor, still kneading an apparently off-center load of dough. It'd
walked itself right off the counter. It's no worse for wear.

I keep meaning to open it up, clean things, give it a liberal
application of polysynthetic grease, but, meh.

To be fair, I was using the steel mixing bowl. Not sure how the plastic
one would have fared.

Ari's Judaica Treasures

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in message news:<20040829151425.4e41b3f0@wafer>...
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> "Fred" > wrote:
>

> > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing bread
> > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
> Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
> made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the old
> one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
> my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> repair - and it's still going strong.
>
> So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
>
> I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

How many pounds of flour to make 11 pounds of bread dough? I have
maxed out on using 7 pounds of flour on my Bosch.

Ari's Judaica Treasures

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in message news:<20040829151425.4e41b3f0@wafer>...
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> "Fred" > wrote:
>

> > Contrary to popular opinion, home mixers aren't adequate for mixing bread
> > dough. Those that think they are don't make as much dough as you or I
> > do. If you don't want to invest in a commercial mixer, the you might do
> > what I've done and that is to keep 2 KA mixers. You can use one while
> > the other one is being repaired. I generally get them to last about 8-9
> > months and then something goes haywire. You're right in keeping them at
> > speed #2. If you go past that, they will thrash themselves to death
> > rather quickly. There is no way a home mixer is going to survive long
> > making 2 bread doughs per day. I usually only make one.

> I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old Bosch
> Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it that
> made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the old
> one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point after
> my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> repair - and it's still going strong.
>
> So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
>
> I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

How many pounds of flour to make 11 pounds of bread dough? I have
maxed out on using 7 pounds of flour on my Bosch.
graham

"Ari's Judaica Treasures" > wrote in message
om...
> Eric Jorgensen > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:41:41 -0500
> > "Fred" > wrote:
> >

> > I can mix and knead 11 pounds of bread dough with my 20 year old

Bosch
> > Universal. It doesn't even struggle. My parents had one just like it

that
> > made 11 pound batches of bread every week for several years without
> > requiring any service. In about 1991 they bought a new one and gave the

old
> > one to my eldest sister, who has been using it since. At some point

after
> > my sister got it, it required new bushings of some sort - was a minor
> > repair - and it's still going strong.
> >
> > So I wouldn't say that *all home mixers aren't adequate.
> >
> > I've seen what 11 pounds of bread dough does to a kitchenaid, tho.

> How many pounds of flour to make 11 pounds of bread dough? I have
> maxed out on using 7 pounds of flour on my Bosch.

7lbs of flour and 60% hydration results in 11.2lbs of dough.

Graham

graham