toolguy

Default Pumpkin Chiffon Pie questions

Hi all,

I posted this on rec.food.cooking but just in case, I thought I'd post
it here too.

I'm well known amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
feedback please.

1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
over the powdered ginger?

2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
thoughts on this???

TIA

Neil
Vox Humana

"toolguy" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I posted this on rec.food.cooking but just in case, I thought I'd post
> it here too.
>
> I'm well known amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
> This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
> feedback please.
>
> 1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
> powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
> minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
> anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
> over the powdered ginger?
>
> 2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
> a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
> egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
> thoughts on this???

Experiment. The ginger is just for flavor. Put some in and it you think it
needs more, use more. I doubt that the whipped cream will perform as well
as the egg whites. I would do a test pie ahead of time. If it doesn't work
you aren't out much and I'm sure it would still taste fine.

Roy Basan

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >...
> "toolguy" > wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I posted this on rec.food.cooking but just in case, I thought I'd post
> > it here too.
> >
> > I'm well known amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
> > This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
> > feedback please.
> >
> > 1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
> > powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
> > minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
> > anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
> > over the powdered ginger?

The rule in pumpkin pie is that you get the desired flavour
balance;just add enough spice but not more to have an overpowering
flavour.As an option You can combine ginger with other spices such as
cloves, mace or nutmeg or even cinnamon and cardamom.
Fresh ginger can have a slight different flavor characteristics than
the dried one.As the fresh has moisture you will have to add more.But
the bottom line is you must have to make your own baking test and see
what is the best for your taste. Other bakers add citrus flavor like
a grated lemon or orange peel(or combination) in order to balance the
taste. Not too spicy and with a hint of fruity flavor.

There are some recipes that baked type of the chiffon pie( and not
the refrigrated version) and they use a higher level of spice
combination, taking into consideration the volatility of some of the
flavor notes in spices.

> > 2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
> > a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
> > egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
> > thoughts on this???

Incorporating egg whites to chiffon pies will lighten it up;but adding
some lightly whipped cream will improve the eating quality and will
put a distinctive body in the pie.Just bear in mind that the lightness
in texture will be diminished if that is what you are used to.
In the other way the pumpkin pie is served with a dollop of cream,
Other individuals would prefer to use the whipped cream as topping
after placing in the pie filling and chilled ; and others go to the
extreme eating pumpkin pie with sour cream instead , while other
prefer yoghurt and even ice cream...
Roy
Vox Humana

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > "toolguy" > wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I posted this on rec.food.cooking but just in case, I thought I'd post
> > > it here too.
> > >
> > > I'm well known amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.
> > > This year I thought to try a couple of new ideas and I'd like to get
> > > feedback please.
> > >
> > > 1. I thought the pie could be improved with fresh ginger instead of
> > > powdered. The recipe calls for a 1/2 teaspoon of dried. How much
> > > minced fresh ginger would you suggest to sub for the dried? Has
> > > anyone done this and if so, how'd it turn out? Was it an improvement
> > > over the powdered ginger?
> > >

> The rule in pumpkin pie is that you get the desired flavour
> balance;just add enough spice but not more to have an overpowering
> flavour.As an option You can combine ginger with other spices such as
> cloves, mace or nutmeg or even cinnamon and cardamom.
> Fresh ginger can have a slight different flavor characteristics than
> the dried one.As the fresh has moisture you will have to add more.But
> the bottom line is you must have to make your own baking test and see
> what is the best for your taste. Other bakers add citrus flavor like
> a grated lemon or orange peel(or combination) in order to balance the
> taste. Not too spicy and with a hint of fruity flavor.
>
> There are some recipes that baked type of the chiffon pie( and not
> the refrigrated version) and they use a higher level of spice
> combination, taking into consideration the volatility of some of the
> flavor notes in spices.
>
> > > 2. My recipe whips egg whites to fold in with the pumpkin etc. I read
> > > a recipe on Epicurious which uses whipped whipping cream instead of
> > > egg whites. Sounds like this might be a possible improvement. Any
> > > thoughts on this???

> Incorporating egg whites to chiffon pies will lighten it up;but adding
> some lightly whipped cream will improve the eating quality and will
> put a distinctive body in the pie.Just bear in mind that the lightness
> in texture will be diminished if that is what you are used to.
> In the other way the pumpkin pie is served with a dollop of cream,
> Other individuals would prefer to use the whipped cream as topping
> after placing in the pie filling and chilled ; and others go to the
> extreme eating pumpkin pie with sour cream instead , while other
> prefer yoghurt and even ice cream...
> Roy

Do you think that the whipped cream will be as stabile as the egg white
foam?

Roy Basan

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >.. .

> Do you think that the whipped cream will be as stabile as the egg white
> foam?

It will not be, but the purpose of adding whipping cream in such
refrigerated desserts is to modify the texture of the mass....It will
bring body just as any added fatty material will do to the food
texture; and so will improve the eating quality.
The egg whites perform a different function and it is important in
chiffon pie for the structural reason.
The type of pumpkin pie that the poster is using is probably the
refrigerated type as the baked type of the same pie does not need it(
or can benefit from its addition).
Roy

Davida Chazan - The Chocolate Lady

(Please NOTE: My correct e-mail address is in my Signature) On Tue, 07
Oct 2003 23:30:40 -0600, during the rec.food.baking Community News
Flash toolguy > reported:

>I'm well known amongst friends and family for my Pumpkin Chiffon pies.

I'm dying to try to make one. Think you'd be willing to post your
recipe?

--
Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady)
< davida at jdc dot org dot il >