FoodBanter.com

-   -   Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/274-spice-cake-mix-fruit.html)

Dan Wenz 20-12-2003 02:27 AM

Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

Vox Humana 20-12-2003 03:01 AM

"Dan Wenz" > wrote in message
> My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
> whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
> one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
> for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

Considering how expensive the ingredients are for a decent fruit cake, I
can't see using a cake mix for the batter. I would tale a look at one of
these recipes. The Christmas fruitcakes look like winners:
http://tinyurl.com/yrlye
Most traditional fruitcakes improve with age, so I wouldn't count on eating
one for about a month.

Jenn Ridley 20-12-2003 03:28 AM

Dan Wenz > wrote:

>My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
>whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
>one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
>for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

a google on 'fruitcake "spice cake" mix recipe' (use the double
quotes) gives these links.

http://southernfood.about.com/librar...3/bl30620e.htm
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,171,1...229205,00.html
http://www.sacbee.com/content/lifest...-6608959c.html
http://www.theangelladies.com/angel_...ew.htm#recipes

Googling on '"fruit cake" "spice cake" mix recipe yields
http://www.just-recipes.net/quick,_s...fruit_cake.htm
http://www.baking911.com/_disc10/00000513.htm
http://www.favoritebrandrecipes.com/...3450001160.htm

There may be duplicates, and I've not tried any of them, preferring to
make my fruitcakes from scratch.

You might simply try adding your prepared fruitcake mix to the cake
batter until it 'looks right'. (prepared means chopped, soaked,
dredged, etc.)

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Wayne Boatwright 20-12-2003 07:18 AM

Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

Dan Wenz > wrote in news:l_ednWOB8szdOH6iRVn-
:

> My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
> whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
> one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
> for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

As a long time baker of various fruitcakes, I cannot imagine using an
ordinary cakemix for the batter. Fruitcakes are geenrally made with a
batter more akin to poundcakes. If I were forced to use a mix, I would
choose a poundcake mix. Ordinary cake mixes produce too airy and light a
cake to properly support the fruitcake ingredients.

Wayne

Vox Humana 20-12-2003 04:03 PM

Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.. .
> Dan Wenz > wrote in news:l_ednWOB8szdOH6iRVn-
> :
>
> > My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
> > whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
> > one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
> > for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.
> >

> As a long time baker of various fruitcakes, I cannot imagine using an
> ordinary cakemix for the batter. Fruitcakes are geenrally made with a
> batter more akin to poundcakes. If I were forced to use a mix, I would
> choose a poundcake mix. Ordinary cake mixes produce too airy and light a
> cake to properly support the fruitcake ingredients.
>
> Wayne

I agree completely. Not only is the texture wrong, but the spices in boxed
spice cake mix are very weak and artificial tasting. I think you not only
need a dense batter, but you also need to use fresh, potent spices to
balance the extreme sweetness of the glace fruit and the stronger flavors of
the dates and currants.

Dan Wenz 21-12-2003 03:09 AM

Spice Cake Mix for Fruit Cake?

Thanks to all of you responders - All comments were forwarded to my wife
to do with them what she will (Been married too long to argue the logic
of fruit cake baking with her)!

bettyboop 01-12-2011 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Wenz (Post 1428)
My wife has a box of Betty Crocker spice cake mix and would like to know
whether anyone has a recipe for a fruit cake using that mix. I don't see
one at their website, and I've become overloaded with Google's results
for fruit cakes but not a specific recipe using the above combination.

there is a fruit cake maded with spice and white cake mix I had the receipe, but I have misplaced it.I made it two years ago. very good fruit cake.