Old 11-12-2003, 01:08 AM
Pennyaline

Default Chocolate cake and cream?

I've receive a request to work up a recipe for this item she remembers from
her childhood, but the person who wants it can't even give me a good
description of it. She remembers that her British mother and grandmother
made it, that it was (duh) chocolate cake and cream and, oh yeah, it was
fabulous.

Do any of you have any insight to offer?

Old 11-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Pennyaline

I wrote:
I've receive a request to work up a recipe for this item she remembers

from
her childhood, but the person who wants it can't even give me a good
description of it.

I hate it when that happens! Of course I meant that the request came from
someone who remembers this item from childhood but has no idea how it was
made. Her folks aren't around to offer their recipes anymore, so she's
looking for someone to formulate a substitute.

Old 11-12-2003, 01:35 AM
LIMEYNO1

* Exported from MasterCook *

Helen's Chocolate Cream Roll

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Family

-----MM BY H. PEAGRAM-----
6 tb Flour
6 tb Cocoa
1/2 ts Baking powder
1/4 ts Salt
4 md Eggs
3/4 c Sugar
1 t Vanilla
Icing sugar
Whipped Cream

Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, THREE times, onto a sheet
of waxed paper. Beat egg whites til thick and fluffy. Add sugar
gradually while beating, then add yolks and vanilla. Mixture should
be thick and lemony. Sift dry mixture over egg mix and fold in
gently. Pepare an edged cookie pan by greasing and lining with waxed
paper. Pour batter onto pan and spread evenly. Bake at 400 F for
12-15 minutes. When baked, remove from pan and roll in a damp tea
towel on which you have sprinkled some icing sugar. When cool,
unroll, trim off any crusty edges. Spread whipped cream on cake and
roll up. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on the side.

Courtesy H. Peagram

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 1192 Calories; 24g Fat (15.1%
calories from fat); 50g Protein; 252g Carbohydrate; 48g Dietary Fiber; 187mg
Cholesterol; 281mg Sodium. Exchanges: 14 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 3
1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"Pennyaline" wrote in
message ...

Old 11-12-2003, 06:28 AM
Pennyaline

Honest?? It's a cake roll?

I wonder how it is that she couldn't describe *that*

Old 11-12-2003, 01:26 PM
LIMEYNO1

I don't know if that's what she meant or not. I just know I've been making
this since the 60's and everyone loves it! And it is Chocolate cake and
whipped cream.

"Pennyaline" wrote in
message ...

Old 11-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Pennyaline

"LIMEYNO1" wrote:
I don't know if that's what she meant or not. I just know I've been

making
this since the 60's and everyone loves it! And it is Chocolate cake and
whipped cream.

That it is. I'll ask her if this is what she envisions when she thinks of
the dessert of her dreams.

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
LIMEYNO1

Or tell her, Try it, you'll love it!

"Pennyaline" wrote in
message ...

Old 12-12-2003, 03:35 AM
Pennyaline

"LIMEYNO1" wrote:
Or tell her, Try it, you'll love it!

I asked her about it, and it turns out it's not what she had in mind. I'm
sure she'll try it anyway, though.

I got some more information out of her, and it turns out that what she was
picturing was ordinary chocolate cake topped with custard, not cream! This
should be easy to do, once we get the custard part down pat.