Stef

Default good baking sheets (ISO)

I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want to
make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen the
Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.

Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than another?

Dee Randall

I like the air-cushioned cookie baking sheets.
http://www.allrecipes.com/advice/col...cles/172P1.asp

http://www.1-kitchen.com/Kitchen-Bak...n-Baking-1.asp
sells them for less than $5

I bought mine at Costco and they weren't expensive -perhaps 2 for $10 more
or less. They don't say the brand on the bottom, only "Patent Pending, do
not immerse, and dishwasher safe."

but sometimes depending on the recipe, they do stick and I have to spatula
them off.

Dee

"Stef" > wrote in message
> I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want to
> make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen the
> Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
>

> Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
> aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than another?

Stef

Thanks!
"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> I like the air-cushioned cookie baking sheets.
> http://www.allrecipes.com/advice/col...cles/172P1.asp
>
> http://www.1-kitchen.com/Kitchen-Bak...n-Baking-1.asp
> sells them for less than $5
>
> I bought mine at Costco and they weren't expensive -perhaps 2 for $10 more
> or less. They don't say the brand on the bottom, only "Patent Pending, do
> not immerse, and dishwasher safe."
>
> but sometimes depending on the recipe, they do stick and I have to spatula
> them off.
>
> Dee
>

> "Stef" > wrote in message
> > I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want to
> > make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen

the
> > Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
> >

> > Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
> > aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than

another?

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I like the air-cushioned cookie baking sheets.
> http://www.allrecipes.com/advice/col...cles/172P1.asp
>
> http://www.1-kitchen.com/Kitchen-Bak...n-Baking-1.asp
> sells them for less than $5
>
> I bought mine at Costco and they weren't expensive -perhaps 2 for $10
> more or less. They don't say the brand on the bottom, only "Patent
> Pending, do not immerse, and dishwasher safe."

Do you put yours in the dishwasher? Since there are ventilation holes in
most of them for the "cushion of air" between the two pieces of metal, I
would think that water could enter through the holes and become trapped.
I assume that's also the reason that they should be immersed.

> but sometimes depending on the recipe, they do stick and I have to
> spatula them off.

I use baking parchment for all cookie baking, regardless the type of
sheet. Nothing ever sticks.

> Dee
>

> "Stef" > wrote in message
>> I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want
>> to make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have
>> seen the Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
>>

>> Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the
>> shiny, aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better
>> than another?

Dee Randall

snip>I assume that's also the reason that they should be immersed.<snip>

I'm not sure of your statement ?????, but I don't put them in my dishwasher.
First, it's too small; second, if it says, do not immerse, I don't want
water in the dishwasher coming in the 'holes' and staying there. I would
think that putting them in the dishwasher would be almost the same as
immersing them.

I usually use parchment paper, but I've always wondered about the
effectivenss of putting parchment paper on these cookie sheets that are made
with a cushion of air "for the purpose of" preventing the cookies from
burning (and sticking?); then to put parchment paper on top would be over
kill or preventing the sheet from doing its job.

I know you say, "... regardless of type..." Do you have this type of cookie
sheet that you do use with parchment paper?

Many thanks,
Dee
"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I like the air-cushioned cookie baking sheets.
> > http://www.allrecipes.com/advice/col...cles/172P1.asp
> >
> > http://www.1-kitchen.com/Kitchen-Bak...n-Baking-1.asp
> > sells them for less than $5
> >
> > I bought mine at Costco and they weren't expensive -perhaps 2 for $10
> > more or less. They don't say the brand on the bottom, only "Patent
> > Pending, do not immerse, and dishwasher safe."

> Do you put yours in the dishwasher? Since there are ventilation holes in
> most of them for the "cushion of air" between the two pieces of metal, I
> would think that water could enter through the holes and become trapped.
> I assume that's also the reason that they should be immersed.
>

> > but sometimes depending on the recipe, they do stick and I have to
> > spatula them off.

> I use baking parchment for all cookie baking, regardless the type of
> sheet. Nothing ever sticks.
>

> > Dee
> >

> > "Stef" > wrote in message
> >> I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want
> >> to make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have
> >> seen the Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
> >>

> >> Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the
> >> shiny, aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better
> >> than another?

Vox Humana

"Stef" > wrote in message
> I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want to
> make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen the
> Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
>

> Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
> aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than another?

You need a sturdy pan that won't warp in the oven. I have some from Costco
and they are great. As I recall, they were three (half sheet size) pans for
about $12. The last I looked, they were throwing in a cooling rack for
free. If you don't have access to a warehouse club, then try a restaurant
supply. Williams Sonoma is far too expensive, in my opinion. Avoid the
insulated or "air bake" sheets. A sturdy aluminum pan will work best. As
already mentioned, consider using parchment. You can get 50 sheet packs
(full sheet pan sized) for about $3 at Gordon Food Service that can be cut
in half to fit your pans. Parchment eliminates a lot of mess and it allow
you to form your cookies on the parchment and then shift them on and off a
limited number of pans. Just make sure you cool the pans before putting on
a new sheet of cookies. Never put cookies on a hot baking sheet. You can
run the pans under some water, dry them, and put on the new sheet of cookies
in a couple of minutes.

Janet Bostwick

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Stef" > wrote in message
> > I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want to
> > make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen

the
> > Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
> >

> > Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
> > aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than

another?

> You need a sturdy pan that won't warp in the oven. I have some from

Costco
> and they are great. As I recall, they were three (half sheet size) pans

for
> about $12. The last I looked, they were throwing in a cooling rack for
> free. If you don't have access to a warehouse club, then try a restaurant
> supply. Williams Sonoma is far too expensive, in my opinion. Avoid the
> insulated or "air bake" sheets. A sturdy aluminum pan will work best. As
> already mentioned, consider using parchment. You can get 50 sheet packs
> (full sheet pan sized) for about $3 at Gordon Food Service that can be cut
> in half to fit your pans. Parchment eliminates a lot of mess and it allow
> you to form your cookies on the parchment and then shift them on and off a
> limited number of pans. Just make sure you cool the pans before putting

on
> a new sheet of cookies. Never put cookies on a hot baking sheet. You can
> run the pans under some water, dry them, and put on the new sheet of

cookies
> in a couple of minutes.

The Costco deal is a great one. Currently it is two heavy half sheet size
plus heavy plastic, domed, fitted covers for each and a cooling rack for
$12. You can't go wrong on this. The domed covers means you can raise
bread rolls in the pans without messing about with some other covering that
will stick to the rising dough. The cooling rack is an excellent,
heavy-duty one.
Janet

Dee Randall

I think I'll put my "air-cushioned" baking sheets away and stick to the
regular baking sheets lined with parchment paper.

I did buy the recent Costco 3pans, plus rack at Costco, and was disappointed
that the 3 pans seems to be much thinner/lighter than the ones that I had
bought there maybe 5 years ago in a pack. But I still think it's a good
deal! When I get my new digital scale (thanks to "scuba"'s great advice,)
I'll weight them out. (I bought the 13# scales, the 6000T model at the
place you recommended, and stuck with your advice to get the vibrakiller. I
was disappointed that I couldn't get it in green, but I guess blue will be
pleasing longer.

Dee

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Stef" > wrote in message
> > > I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want

> > > make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen

> the
> > > Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
> > >

> > > Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
> > > aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than

> another?
> >
> > You need a sturdy pan that won't warp in the oven. I have some from

> Costco
> > and they are great. As I recall, they were three (half sheet size) pans

> for
> > about $12. The last I looked, they were throwing in a cooling rack for
> > free. If you don't have access to a warehouse club, then try a

restaurant
> > supply. Williams Sonoma is far too expensive, in my opinion. Avoid the
> > insulated or "air bake" sheets. A sturdy aluminum pan will work best.

As
> > already mentioned, consider using parchment. You can get 50 sheet packs
> > (full sheet pan sized) for about $3 at Gordon Food Service that can be

cut
> > in half to fit your pans. Parchment eliminates a lot of mess and it

allow
> > you to form your cookies on the parchment and then shift them on and off

> > limited number of pans. Just make sure you cool the pans before putting

> on
> > a new sheet of cookies. Never put cookies on a hot baking sheet. You

can
> > run the pans under some water, dry them, and put on the new sheet of

> cookies
> > in a couple of minutes.
> >

> The Costco deal is a great one. Currently it is two heavy half sheet size
> plus heavy plastic, domed, fitted covers for each and a cooling rack for
> $12. You can't go wrong on this. The domed covers means you can raise
> bread rolls in the pans without messing about with some other covering

that
> will stick to the rising dough. The cooling rack is an excellent,
> heavy-duty one.
> Janet

Me

Thanks for the great advice!

SC

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Stef" > wrote in message
> > I am planning on making a lot of Christmas cookies this year and want to
> > make sure that I have the best pan (that I can afford!). I have seen

the
> > Williams and Sonoma sort but $20 is a bit pricey for me.
> >

> > Does anyone have any advice on the best pan to buy? I know the shiny,
> > aluminum ones are the best...but is there one that is better than

another?

> You need a sturdy pan that won't warp in the oven. I have some from

Costco
> and they are great. As I recall, they were three (half sheet size) pans

for
> about $12. The last I looked, they were throwing in a cooling rack for
> free. If you don't have access to a warehouse club, then try a restaurant
> supply. Williams Sonoma is far too expensive, in my opinion. Avoid the
> insulated or "air bake" sheets. A sturdy aluminum pan will work best. As
> already mentioned, consider using parchment. You can get 50 sheet packs
> (full sheet pan sized) for about $3 at Gordon Food Service that can be cut
> in half to fit your pans. Parchment eliminates a lot of mess and it allow
> you to form your cookies on the parchment and then shift them on and off a
> limited number of pans. Just make sure you cool the pans before putting

on
> a new sheet of cookies. Never put cookies on a hot baking sheet. You can
> run the pans under some water, dry them, and put on the new sheet of

cookies
> in a couple of minutes.

Lori

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 08:34:58 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>I know you say, "... regardless of type..." Do you have this type of cookie
>sheet that you do use with parchment paper?

I've just discovered parchment paper, and it's wonderful! I've used
it on my one air bake cookie sheet without any trouble. Hope this
helps.

____

Lori

Lori

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:33:08 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

> Parchment eliminates a lot of mess and it allow
>you to form your cookies on the parchment and then shift them on and off a
>limited number of pans. Just make sure you cool the pans before putting on
>a new sheet of cookies. Never put cookies on a hot baking sheet. You can
>run the pans under some water, dry them, and put on the new sheet of cookies
>in a couple of minutes.

One way to combat hot pans and still get a lot of cookies baked in a
short time is to have enough pans for 2 cycles through the oven.
While one set is in the oven, you can cool the next set and load it
up. I realize a lot of people probably already do that, but thought
I'd pass that on for folks who are new to baking.

Didn't know you could get the parchement pre-cut at GFS. I'll have to
check into that. I've been getting it a Wal-Mart on a roll. Thanks!

____

Lori
Vox Humana

"Lori" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 15:33:08 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> > Parchment eliminates a lot of mess and it allow
> >you to form your cookies on the parchment and then shift them on and off

> >limited number of pans. Just make sure you cool the pans before putting

on
> >a new sheet of cookies. Never put cookies on a hot baking sheet. You

can
> >run the pans under some water, dry them, and put on the new sheet of

cookies
> >in a couple of minutes.

> One way to combat hot pans and still get a lot of cookies baked in a
> short time is to have enough pans for 2 cycles through the oven.
> While one set is in the oven, you can cool the next set and load it
> up. I realize a lot of people probably already do that, but thought
> I'd pass that on for folks who are new to baking.
>
> Didn't know you could get the parchement pre-cut at GFS. I'll have to
> check into that. I've been getting it a Wal-Mart on a roll. Thanks!

The parchment from GFS is great. It comes folded in half around a piece of
cardboard. I use a sharp razor knife to cut the paper where it bends around
the cardboard without totally unwrapping it. That way I can slips pieces
out as I need it and it is the right size for a half sheet pan.

Having two sets of pans is a good idea, but some cookies bake so fast that
you can't always get them cooled down fast enough for the next batch without
some intervention. I just wanted to make a point of saying that they have
to be cool.

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> snip>I assume that's also the reason that they should be
> immersed.<snip>

Dee, that should have read, "...they should *not* be immersed." Sorry for
the confusion.

> I'm not sure of your statement ?????, but I don't put them in my
> dishwasher. First, it's too small; second, if it says, do not immerse,
> I don't want water in the dishwasher coming in the 'holes' and staying
> there. I would think that putting them in the dishwasher would be
> almost the same as immersing them.

That's my thought, too. I have a huge number of baking sheets, only two
of which are the air-cusioned type. Since I don't like cleaning up, I
rarely use them, the other sheets going into the dishwasher. Using
regular sheets, I always "double-pan" them and find that works almost as
well as the air-cusioned sheets.

Having said all that, I really do prefer the air-cushioned sheets for
things that are particularly delicate. I never have to worry then about
over-browning.

> I usually use parchment paper, but I've always wondered about the
> effectivenss of putting parchment paper on these cookie sheets that
> are made with a cushion of air "for the purpose of" preventing the
> cookies from burning (and sticking?); then to put parchment paper on
> top would be over kill or preventing the sheet from doing its job.
>
> I know you say, "... regardless of type..." Do you have this type of
> cookie sheet that you do use with parchment paper?

Unless I've run out of parchment, I absolutely never put anything to bake
on a sheet without it. That goes for the regular sheets and the air-
cushioned. While there is *less* chance of sticking with the air-
cusioned sheets, it still can happen. Parchment absolutely prevents it.
Otherwise, it doesn't prevent or interfere with the benefits of the
sheet.

The other thing for me (just a quirk, I guess)... For most things, I
don't like using a spatula for removing the items, partucularly cookies.
Rather, I wait until they are firm and almost cold, then slightly twist
and remove. This eliminates the roughed-up bottom that spatulas often
produce. Using parchment guarantees that this method will work, while
without the parchment the cooled cookies would probably be stuck like
glue.

Wayne

> Many thanks,
> Dee

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I think I'll put my "air-cushioned" baking sheets away and stick to
> the regular baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
>
> I did buy the recent Costco 3pans, plus rack at Costco, and was
> disappointed that the 3 pans seems to be much thinner/lighter than
> the ones that I had bought there maybe 5 years ago in a pack. But I
> still think it's a good deal! When I get my new digital scale (thanks
> to "scuba"'s great advice,) I'll weight them out. (I bought the 13#
> scales, the 6000T model at the place you recommended, and stuck with
> your advice to get the vibrakiller. I was disappointed that I
> couldn't get it in green, but I guess blue will be pleasing longer.

Dee, what kind of scale is that? I need a new one. Vibrakiller?

TIA
Wayne
Dee Randall

Last night I was watching a Julia Child show (I think recorded from the day
before) where a woman baker was baking/demonstrating some kind of
tart/bread/pie with loads and loads of butter in it.

As she was putting it in the oven on a baking sheet, Julia asked her if she
would put it on parchment paper and the baker said, NO! - that the parchment
paper would actually draw the butter out of the item and one would find
loads of butter on the bottom of the parchment paper and that is not what
she wanted.

Even though I've seen parchment paper loaded with butter after baking, I've
not *heard* this before, that parchment paper actually draws out the
butter.

Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > snip>I assume that's also the reason that they should be
> > immersed.<snip>

> Dee, that should have read, "...they should *not* be immersed." Sorry for
> the confusion.
>

> > I'm not sure of your statement ?????, but I don't put them in my
> > dishwasher. First, it's too small; second, if it says, do not immerse,
> > I don't want water in the dishwasher coming in the 'holes' and staying
> > there. I would think that putting them in the dishwasher would be
> > almost the same as immersing them.

> That's my thought, too. I have a huge number of baking sheets, only two
> of which are the air-cusioned type. Since I don't like cleaning up, I
> rarely use them, the other sheets going into the dishwasher. Using
> regular sheets, I always "double-pan" them and find that works almost as
> well as the air-cusioned sheets.
>
> Having said all that, I really do prefer the air-cushioned sheets for
> things that are particularly delicate. I never have to worry then about
> over-browning.
>

> > I usually use parchment paper, but I've always wondered about the
> > effectivenss of putting parchment paper on these cookie sheets that
> > are made with a cushion of air "for the purpose of" preventing the
> > cookies from burning (and sticking?); then to put parchment paper on
> > top would be over kill or preventing the sheet from doing its job.
> >
> > I know you say, "... regardless of type..." Do you have this type of
> > cookie sheet that you do use with parchment paper?

> Unless I've run out of parchment, I absolutely never put anything to bake
> on a sheet without it. That goes for the regular sheets and the air-
> cushioned. While there is *less* chance of sticking with the air-
> cusioned sheets, it still can happen. Parchment absolutely prevents it.
> Otherwise, it doesn't prevent or interfere with the benefits of the
> sheet.
>
> The other thing for me (just a quirk, I guess)... For most things, I
> don't like using a spatula for removing the items, partucularly cookies.
> Rather, I wait until they are firm and almost cold, then slightly twist
> and remove. This eliminates the roughed-up bottom that spatulas often
> produce. Using parchment guarantees that this method will work, while
> without the parchment the cooled cookies would probably be stuck like
> glue.
>
> Wayne
>

> > Many thanks,
> > Dee

Dee Randall

Oops!
It is Not the Vibra Killer scale -- tee hee - it is the Myweigh Scale
http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html

the larger model 6001T - the T stands for the colored scale. and the 6000
series is the 13# vs. 6# for the 3000 series.
I bought the VibraKiller pad (for $2 extra) that goes with it to make it
even more accurate - so they say!

I paid $46.90 + 7.95 for shipping. You can get the 6# for less.

They did deliver quickly yesterday, (I ordered December 5) however,it was
not my scale they sent, it was someone else's order (a plug) , alas!

Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I think I'll put my "air-cushioned" baking sheets away and stick to
> > the regular baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
> >
> > I did buy the recent Costco 3pans, plus rack at Costco, and was
> > disappointed that the 3 pans seems to be much thinner/lighter than
> > the ones that I had bought there maybe 5 years ago in a pack. But I
> > still think it's a good deal! When I get my new digital scale (thanks
> > to "scuba"'s great advice,) I'll weight them out. (I bought the 13#
> > scales, the 6000T model at the place you recommended, and stuck with
> > your advice to get the vibrakiller. I was disappointed that I
> > couldn't get it in green, but I guess blue will be pleasing longer.

> Dee, what kind of scale is that? I need a new one. Vibrakiller?
>
> TIA
> Wayne

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Last night I was watching a Julia Child show (I think recorded from the

day
> before) where a woman baker was baking/demonstrating some kind of
> tart/bread/pie with loads and loads of butter in it.
>
> As she was putting it in the oven on a baking sheet, Julia asked her if

she
> would put it on parchment paper and the baker said, NO! - that the

parchment
> paper would actually draw the butter out of the item and one would find
> loads of butter on the bottom of the parchment paper and that is not what
> she wanted.
>
> Even though I've seen parchment paper loaded with butter after baking,

I've
> not *heard* this before, that parchment paper actually draws out the
> butter.
>
> Dee

Don't believe everything you see on TV. The food network is particularly
notorious for cavalierly dispensing false information. I'm sure most of the
misinformation is passed along innocently and there is no mechanism for
discussion that would allow for a correction. One has to wonder just how
the parchment would draw the butter out of an item. I would speculate that
you simply see the butter easier on the parchment than you would on a baking
sheet. That might lead to a conclusion that here was a cause and effect
relationship where none existed.

Dee Randall

<snip>I would speculate that
> you simply see the butter easier on the parchment than you would on a

baking
> sheet. That might lead to a conclusion that here was a cause and effect
> relationship where none existed.

I thought the same as you that ",,, you simply see the butter easier..." but
then ---

Dee

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Last night I was watching a Julia Child show (I think recorded from the

> day
> > before) where a woman baker was baking/demonstrating some kind of
> > tart/bread/pie with loads and loads of butter in it.
> >
> > As she was putting it in the oven on a baking sheet, Julia asked her if

> she
> > would put it on parchment paper and the baker said, NO! - that the

> parchment
> > paper would actually draw the butter out of the item and one would find
> > loads of butter on the bottom of the parchment paper and that is not

what
> > she wanted.
> >
> > Even though I've seen parchment paper loaded with butter after baking,

> I've
> > not *heard* this before, that parchment paper actually draws out the
> > butter.
> >
> > Dee

> Don't believe everything you see on TV. The food network is particularly
> notorious for cavalierly dispensing false information. I'm sure most of

the
> misinformation is passed along innocently and there is no mechanism for
> discussion that would allow for a correction. One has to wonder just how
> the parchment would draw the butter out of an item. I would speculate

that
> you simply see the butter easier on the parchment than you would on a

baking
> sheet. That might lead to a conclusion that here was a cause and effect
> relationship where none existed.

Wayne Boatwright

I've nevered considered that before, but my observation is that parchment
is "greaseproof" and repels fats, including butter.

That aside, if I'm baking something with that much butter in it, it's
doubtful that I'd necessarily use parchment since it probably wouldn't
stick anyway.

Wayne

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> [...]

>> > of cookie sheet that you do use with parchment paper?

>> Unless I've run out of parchment, I absolutely never put anything to
>> bake on a sheet without it. That goes for the regular sheets and the
>> air- cushioned. While there is *less* chance of sticking with the
>> air- cusioned sheets, it still can happen. Parchment absolutely
>> prevents it. Otherwise, it doesn't prevent or interfere with the
>> benefits of the sheet.
>>
>> The other thing for me (just a quirk, I guess)... For most things, I
>> don't like using a spatula for removing the items, partucularly
>> cookies. Rather, I wait until they are firm and almost cold, then
>> slightly twist and remove. This eliminates the roughed-up bottom
>> that spatulas often produce. Using parchment guarantees that this
>> method will work, while without the parchment the cooled cookies

Wayne Boatwright

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> Last night I was watching a Julia Child show (I think recorded from
>> the

> day
>> before) where a woman baker was baking/demonstrating some kind of
>> tart/bread/pie with loads and loads of butter in it.
>>
>> As she was putting it in the oven on a baking sheet, Julia asked her
>> if

> she
>> would put it on parchment paper and the baker said, NO! - that the

> parchment
>> paper would actually draw the butter out of the item and one would
>> find loads of butter on the bottom of the parchment paper and that is
>> not what she wanted.
>>
>> Even though I've seen parchment paper loaded with butter after
>> baking,

> I've
>> not *heard* this before, that parchment paper actually draws out the
>> butter.
>>
>> Dee

> Don't believe everything you see on TV. The food network is
> particularly notorious for cavalierly dispensing false information.
> I'm sure most of the misinformation is passed along innocently and
> there is no mechanism for discussion that would allow for a
> correction. One has to wonder just how the parchment would draw the
> butter out of an item. I would speculate that you simply see the
> butter easier on the parchment than you would on a baking sheet. That
> might lead to a conclusion that here was a cause and effect
> relationship where none existed.

Yes, what you said, Vox. Parchment is "greaseproof" and therefore repels
fats. It makes it all the more obvious to the eye when the butter or
other fats "pool" on the surface.

Wayne

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> Don't believe everything you see on TV. The food network is particularly
> notorious for cavalierly dispensing false information. I'm sure most of

the
> misinformation is passed along innocently and there is no mechanism for
> discussion that would allow for a correction. One has to wonder just how
> the parchment would draw the butter out of an item. I would speculate

that
> you simply see the butter easier on the parchment than you would on a

baking
> sheet. That might lead to a conclusion that here was a cause and effect
> relationship where none existed.

FWIW, I remember an equipment review done by Cook's Illustrated or Fine
Cooking. They said cookies with high butter contents should not be baked on
insulated cookie sheets. Something about the insulation causes the butter
to melt prematurely leading to leakage. Using parchment paper on cookie
sheets, from what I understand, can work similarly (though not as extremely)
to using insulated cookie sheets. Perhaps that is why the woman on the food
network said what she did--maybe she didn't mean that parchment paper "draws
out" the butter, but that it may cause the butter to melt prematurely and
leak out of the cookie.

I actually like butter leakage for certain cookies--like crispy oatmeal
cookies. You get a really delicious crispy outer ring of butter and sugar.
Yum!

rona

Dee Randall

Who's your dishwasher, Wayne -- tee hee!
Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> I've nevered considered that before, but my observation is that parchment
> is "greaseproof" and repels fats, including butter.
>
> That aside, if I'm baking something with that much butter in it, it's
> doubtful that I'd necessarily use parchment since it probably wouldn't
> stick anyway.
>
> Wayne
>
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Last night I was watching a Julia Child show (I think recorded from
> > the day before) where a woman baker was baking/demonstrating some
> > kind of tart/bread/pie with loads and loads of butter in it.
> >
> > As she was putting it in the oven on a baking sheet, Julia asked her
> > if she would put it on parchment paper and the baker said, NO! - that
> > the parchment paper would actually draw the butter out of the item and
> > one would find loads of butter on the bottom of the parchment paper
> > and that is not what she wanted.
> >
> > Even though I've seen parchment paper loaded with butter after baking,
> > I've not *heard* this before, that parchment paper actually draws out
> > the butter.
> >
> > Dee
> >

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> > message .. .
> >> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Dee, that should have read, "...they should *not* be immersed." Sorry
> >> for the confusion.

> >> That's my thought, too. I have a huge number of baking sheets, only
> >> two of which are the air-cusioned type. Since I don't like cleaning
> >> up, I rarely use them, the other sheets going into the dishwasher.
> >> Using regular sheets, I always "double-pan" them and find that works
> >> almost as well as the air-cusioned sheets.
> >>
> >> Having said all that, I really do prefer the air-cushioned sheets for
> >> things that are particularly delicate. I never have to worry then
> >> about over-browning.

> >> Unless I've run out of parchment, I absolutely never put anything to
> >> bake on a sheet without it. That goes for the regular sheets and the
> >> air- cushioned. While there is *less* chance of sticking with the
> >> air- cusioned sheets, it still can happen. Parchment absolutely
> >> prevents it. Otherwise, it doesn't prevent or interfere with the
> >> benefits of the sheet.
> >>
> >> The other thing for me (just a quirk, I guess)... For most things, I
> >> don't like using a spatula for removing the items, partucularly
> >> cookies. Rather, I wait until they are firm and almost cold, then
> >> slightly twist and remove. This eliminates the roughed-up bottom
> >> that spatulas often produce. Using parchment guarantees that this
> >> method will work, while without the parchment the cooled cookies
> >> would probably be stuck like glue.
> >>
> >> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

Luckily it's not a person, Dee. <G> We do an unconscionable number loads
while cooking, baking, etc. I just hate washing by hand. The only thing
that doesn't go in is something that is too big to fit! <G>

Wayne

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> Who's your dishwasher, Wayne -- tee hee!
> Dee
>
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> I've nevered considered that before, but my observation is that
>> parchment is "greaseproof" and repels fats, including butter.
>>
>> That aside, if I'm baking something with that much butter in it, it's
>> doubtful that I'd necessarily use parchment since it probably
>> wouldn't stick anyway.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Last night I was watching a Julia Child show (I think recorded from
>> > the day before) where a woman baker was baking/demonstrating some
>> > kind of tart/bread/pie with loads and loads of butter in it.
>> >
>> > As she was putting it in the oven on a baking sheet, Julia asked
>> > her if she would put it on parchment paper and the baker said, NO!
>> > - that the parchment paper would actually draw the butter out of
>> > the item and one would find loads of butter on the bottom of the
>> > parchment paper and that is not what she wanted.
>> >
>> > Even though I've seen parchment paper loaded with butter after
>> > baking, I've not *heard* this before, that parchment paper actually
>> > draws out the butter.
>> >
>> > Dee
>> >

>> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
>> > message .. .

Snowfeet1

I love Doughmaker's Gourmet Bakeware - shiny and textured - very little sticks.
They have a website and also sell in various locations around the country.
The website will list the stores.