Al

Default Bread blowouts

We bake a loaf of French Vienna style weekly...bread flour, hand kneaded
with dough placed on a flat baking sheet, 375 for about 18-20
minutes. About 25 percent of the time, we experience a side
blowout. Of course it does not alter the taste, but it is aggravating.
Appreciate cause and help eliminating it. Thanks. Al & Chris

alzelt

Al wrote:

> We bake a loaf of French Vienna style weekly...bread flour, hand kneaded
> with dough placed on a flat baking sheet, 375 for about 18-20
> minutes. About 25 percent of the time, we experience a side
> blowout. Of course it does not alter the taste, but it is aggravating.
> Appreciate cause and help eliminating it. Thanks. Al & Chris

A couple of thoughts come to mind. One, if inproperly shaped, end result
can be as described. Another is that you dough is too hydrated.
Perhaps a tad more flour.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Dee Randall

I am not being contrary about this, even tho it appears to be, but I had
blowouts in my bread because they were bubbling away at a high rate even
before the recommended time to rise. I think this would be the opposite of
"under-proofed." I could be wrong?

I figured I'd better put them in the oven because they would explode if I
didn't (second rise), but they blew out the sides. They tasted ok, but the
look was pitiful.
Dee

"pilgrim" > wrote in message
news
> I once had a problem with blowouts on the sides of my free-form boules,
and
> it turned out that I was baking the loaves before they had fully risen.
> That is, they were "under-proofed." The under-proofed loaves produced
> excessive oven-spring which caused the sides of the loaves to blow out.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> pilgrim
>
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 21:17:22 GMT, Al > wrote:
>
> >We bake a loaf of French Vienna style weekly...bread flour, hand kneaded
> > with dough placed on a flat baking sheet, 375 for about 18-20
> >minutes. About 25 percent of the time, we experience a side
> >blowout. Of course it does not alter the taste, but it is aggravating.
> > Appreciate cause and help eliminating it. Thanks. Al & Chris

barry

If you don't slash the loaf, you should consider so. The slashes will give
the bread a way to expand in a controlled manner.

Barry

"Al" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> We bake a loaf of French Vienna style weekly...bread flour, hand kneaded
> with dough placed on a flat baking sheet, 375 for about 18-20
> minutes. About 25 percent of the time, we experience a side
> blowout. Of course it does not alter the taste, but it is aggravating.
> Appreciate cause and help eliminating it. Thanks. Al & Chris

Janet Bostwick

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> I am not being contrary about this, even tho it appears to be, but I had
> blowouts in my bread because they were bubbling away at a high rate even
> before the recommended time to rise. I think this would be the opposite

of
> "under-proofed." I could be wrong?
>
> I figured I'd better put them in the oven because they would explode if I
> didn't (second rise), but they blew out the sides. They tasted ok, but

the
> look was pitiful.
> Dee

It could be that the surface of the rising loaf was drying out and dried
even further in the oven. The dry surface would inhibit the natural oven
spring and when it had no where to go it blew out at the side.
Janet

Dee Randall

On my blowout, the bread was slashed. So it might have been that it was too
dry as Janet suggested. (The blowout was like a big hernia at the side of
the bread. I'd never seen anything like it.)

Thanks Barry & Janet.
Dee

"barry" > wrote in message
t...
> If you don't slash the loaf, you should consider so. The slashes will

give
> the bread a way to expand in a controlled manner.
>
> Barry
>
> "Al" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > We bake a loaf of French Vienna style weekly...bread flour, hand kneaded
> > with dough placed on a flat baking sheet, 375 for about 18-20
> > minutes. About 25 percent of the time, we experience a side
> > blowout. Of course it does not alter the taste, but it is aggravating.
> > Appreciate cause and help eliminating it. Thanks. Al & Chris

tgt

There is also the possibility that the loaf could be sticking to the bottom
of the pan? Use a little corn meal/polenta on the bottom of the
pan/parchment paper.

I notice sometimes if the bread "sticks" to the bottom of the pan, it can
bulge-out to the side.

tgt

ink.net...

Blowouts Treasure Baking 1 24-04-2013 08:54 PM
Sour Cream And Chive Bread [Bread Machine] No Name Recipes (moderated) 0 04-02-2008 12:46 AM
Sourdough bread and the bread machine dough cycle Russell Fletcher Sourdough 12 03-01-2007 09:04 PM
My Disgustingly Healthful Homemade Bread Machine (ABM) Bread Mix Anne Mitchell Young General Cooking 10 15-06-2006 01:40 AM
need quick bread recipe - apple cinnamon bread Jude General Cooking 0 11-12-2005 05:09 PM