Dee Randall

Default Coconut oil vs. Palm Oill

I have bought spectrum for some baking -- mainly quick breads and a few
cookies-- and didn't care for the taste. (Basically it is tasteless.) I
understand it is mostly palm oil.

I ordered online some organic coconut oil to use for the same type of
cooking. Has anyone had any experience with using coconut oil as a
substitute for margarine or canola oil?

Thanks,
Dee

Eric Jorgensen

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:10:08 -0500
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> I have bought spectrum for some baking -- mainly quick breads and a
> few cookies-- and didn't care for the taste. (Basically it is
> tasteless.) I understand it is mostly palm oil.
>
> I ordered online some organic coconut oil to use for the same type of
> cooking. Has anyone had any experience with using coconut oil as a
> substitute for margarine or canola oil?

I still think you should ask your doctor if it's healthier to consume
tropical oils than hydrogenated vegetable shortening. And then after he
stops laughing, tell him, no, you are serious, you really want to know.

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:10:08 -0500
>"Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
> =20
>
>>I have bought spectrum for some baking -- mainly quick breads and a
>>few cookies-- and didn't care for the taste. (Basically it is
>>tasteless.) I understand it is mostly palm oil.
>>
>>I ordered online some organic coconut oil to use for the same type of
>>cooking. Has anyone had any experience with using coconut oil as a
>>substitute for margarine or canola oil?
>>
>> =20
>>

> I still think you should ask your doctor if it's healthier to consume
>tropical oils than hydrogenated vegetable shortening. And then after he
>stops laughing, tell him, no, you are serious, you really want to know. =

Prudent advise, Dee.
But keep in mind that most Physicians had their last nutritional=20
training during study, maybe 3 weeks total, nothing afterwards.

I think tropical, saturated oils got quite a bad rap in this country and =

so did cholesterol, salt, alcohol and many other things.
They are not bad per-se, just when they are hardened, hydrogenated.
So yes, avoid trans-cis fats like the plague and forget much of what you =

heard about saturated oils/fats. There are big differences. Studies from =

France should have taught us that much.
On the other hand, don't lell anybody, I like it when butter is cheap=20
:-) and people put that WWII ersatz axle grease on their wonderbread.

http://www.coconut-info.com/

There are extensive studies from the Phillipines available.
Very little heart disease there and the preferred cooking oil is, you=20
guessed it, coconut oil.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Dee Randall

Sorry, guys, I didn't mean to ask for health advise, I must have misworded
my query.
I know better than to ask for health advise from doctors and people on-line.
I'll try again <grin>.

Here goes:
>>I ordered online some organic coconut oil to use for the same type of
>>cooking. Has anyone had any experience with using coconut oil as a
>>substitute for margarine or canola oil? (continued>>>>>>

IN ITS ability to be used as a substitute for butter in

>>few cookies--

No lectures on global health issues, please!

My best,
Dee

--
Sincerly,

C=¦-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Roy Basan

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message >...
> I have bought spectrum for some baking -- mainly quick breads and a few
> cookies-- and didn't care for the taste. (Basically it is tasteless.) I
> understand it is mostly palm oil.
>
> I ordered online some organic coconut oil to use for the same type of
> cooking. Has anyone had any experience with using coconut oil as a
> substitute for margarine or canola oil?
>
> Thanks,
> Dee

I remember I had used coconut oil in many cookery applications from
cooking Asian type cookery to bread and cake baking.
One of its drawback is its tendency to foam if used in frying and to
emit some kind of caramelized nutty burnt smell when overheated.
I am not pleased with its baking performance if used as 100% coconut
oil.
I prefer the soya bean,sunflower, cottonseed oil ,corn oil for that. I
have used canola oil but not extensively but as far as I remember I
prefer the performance of canola than coconut oil.For example in
chiffon cakes in my experience the coconut oil tends to yield coarse
grained and slightly lesser volume cakes than canola oil.
These type of cake is best made with oil that is unsaturated like the
soya, sunflower and corn oil in the order decreasing efficiency.
Palm oil due to its similarity to the composition of cottonseed (
high in palmitine and stearine fractions is better for shortening
application and even coconut oil based shortening sold in tropical
countries is stabilized by hardened palm oil .
The nearest comparison for coconut oil is the palm kernel oil as they
are both lauric acid fats and they have related melting
characteristics as hardened fat.
Now even in margarine application you cannot find coconut oil based
margarine that does not contain palm oil content.So if you use this
coconut oil/palm oil based shortening, it performs aatisfactorily in
many baking application.
But if you want to replace the margarine with 100% coconut oil you
will notice a deterioration in baking quality.
Shortening and margarine usually exist as beta prime crystalline form
but coconut oil and palm kernel oil are beta tending fats.
Palm and cottonseed oils are beta prime tending fats so you will see
that normal baking margarine and shortenings are hardend by these
latter fats
I hope that this helps...
Roy.

Coconut JUICE is NOT coconut MILK!! John Kuthe[_4_] General Cooking 79 14-08-2011 01:00 AM
palm cake pp General Cooking 1 26-12-2006 06:53 PM
Coconut Juice, Coconut Milk Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-03-2005 06:52 AM
Coconut Juice, Coconut Milk Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 02-03-2005 06:52 AM
coconut cream/coconut milk Dave Smith General Cooking 10 03-04-2004 03:23 PM