Old 04-12-2003, 08:27 AM
Static I

Default Recipe for meat pie crust?

Reg
Date: 12/4/2003 1:53 AM Central Standard Time

Alex Rast wrote:

Is this a cookbook? A Web site? An old post? If it's some sort of printed
material, can you please post a recipe? The likelihood of a local bookstore

having such a title, if it is a book or other printed source, is remote,
and I don't have the time to order one.

http://www.deliaonline.com/

This Delia, whoever she is, seems to be the type who'd take credit for
reinventing the wheel.

Anyway, meat pies can use standard or special crusts as you wish. Below are
links to recipes either way:

The Worldwide Gourmet presents the Meat Pie
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/m.../tourtiere.htm

Cooks.com | Recipe | ALSATIAN MEAT PIE
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,181,1...229203,00.html

Old 04-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Reg

Static I wrote:

This Delia, whoever she is, seems to be the type who'd take credit for
reinventing the wheel.

Isn't that how they become celebrity chefs?

Old 04-12-2003, 02:02 PM
Wayne Boatwright

(Alex Rast) wrote in
:

at Thu, 04 Dec 2003 04:55:43 GMT in [email protected]
204.127.36.1,
(Wayne Boatwright)
wrote :

"Graham" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

"Alex Rast" wrote in message
I'm looking for a recipe for a specific type of meat pie crust.
It's quite common in Britain, and I can probably make a guess at
the recipe, but it'd be nice to get something more definite.

From Alex's description, my impression is that a raised pastry like
that used for Melton Mowbray Pork Pie is what he's looking for.

Definitely not. I'm a big fan of Pork Pies, (unlike my sister who
always used to slip me her pie at lunchtime during school when our
mother packed them - a great treat for me, my sister's worst
nightmare) but this is exactly the kind of crust that I'm specifically
*not* looking for. My problem, indeed, is that I can think of no
"hook" - no keyword that would enable me to find one on-line easily
and quickly. With Melton Mowbray Pork Pie, it's like falling off a log
to find the recipes because you've got such distinctive keywords to
"hook" off.

The crust I have in mind also isn't the typical crust for Steak and
Kidney pie. Rather, it's a kind you find on many of the other meat
pies, the ones that don't have a distinctive signature "name" attached
to them. My suspicion is that the recipe for this type of crust is so
"standard" that everybody takes it as a given - the kind of thing that
no one bothers writing the recipe for because they assume everybody
knows how to make it - that would show up in a recipe as "pastry for a
2-crust meat pie" or some other such generic.

Sorry, Alex. Just my thought. I don't know of another.

Wayne