Jo Ann Schiefelbein

Default Milk Question

After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how long
should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and safe
before using it for baking and etc.?
Jo Ann

LaUna Guinn

Maybe 5 minutes. The warmer it is the faster it will work. You will be
able to notice some thickening. I find that the result is not as tart
as regular buttermilk, so I add a little more vinegar.

I do live in the mountainsat 7700 feet, but I don't that matters.

LaUna, in New Mexico

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
> After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how long
> should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and safe
> before using it for baking and etc.?
> Jo Ann

Bob Pastorio

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:

> After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how long
> should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and safe
> before using it for baking and etc.?

About 45 seconds. Safety isn't an issue.

Pastorio

Graphic Queen

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:11:53 -0700, LaUna Guinn
> wrote:

>Maybe 5 minutes. The warmer it is the faster it will work. You will be
>able to notice some thickening. I find that the result is not as tart
>as regular buttermilk, so I add a little more vinegar.
>
>I do live in the mountainsat 7700 feet, but I don't that matters.
>
>LaUna, in New Mexico

Hi there. I live just outside of Las Cruces. Where do you live in NM?

GQ

>Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
>> After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how long
>> should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and safe
>> before using it for baking and etc.?
>> Jo Ann

Jo Ann Schiefelbein

So texture and temperature dose not matter in the recipe?

> About 45 seconds. Safety isn't an issue.
>
> Pastorio

jmcquown

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
> After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how
> long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk
> and safe before using it for baking and etc.?
> Jo Ann

About 1 hour, stirring occasionally

Mike Avery

On 29 Nov 2003 at 11:01, jmcquown wrote:

> Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
> > After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1
> > cup...how
> > long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk
> > and safe before using it for baking and etc.? Jo Ann

> About 1 hour, stirring occasionally

That's news to me. I've always used the soured milk at once. Sometimes I
use lemon juice instead of vinegar.

It's not a complex reaction you have to let complete....

Mike
--
Mike Avery

ICQ: 16241692 AOL IM:MAvery81230
Phone: 970-642-0280
* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other
way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
MONEY TALKS ... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!

Roy Basan

Scalding of milk is recommended iff you are using fresh cows milk
that is not pasteurized to to deactivate some components in the
fresh milk that interacts with the gluten protein causing it to
weaken.
That is why there are some products called high heat t reated milk as
that product is stabilized for baking application.
Improperly treated milk tends to affect the dough performance and it
tends to flatten and not rise normally and the bread will have a poor
volume with a coarse crumb structure.
but in recent years you seldom encounter that problem with processed
milk products in baking and scalding can be considered a thing of the
past....

Roy
Bob Pastorio

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:

> So texture and temperature does not matter in the recipe?
>
>>About 45 seconds. Safety isn't an issue.
>>
>>Pastorio

Here's what I addressed:
After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how
long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and
safe before using it for baking and etc.?

I have no idea what recipe you're making. When you used the word
"safe," I assumed you were asking about food safety.

Acid curdling to make sour milk is a very quick process.

Pastorio

Jo Ann Schiefelbein

"Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
> Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
>
> > So texture and temperature does not matter in the recipe?
> >
> >>About 45 seconds. Safety isn't an issue.
> >>
> >>Pastorio

> Here's what I addressed:
> After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how
> long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and
> safe before using it for baking and etc.?
>
> I have no idea what recipe you're making. When you used the word
> "safe," I assumed you were asking about food safety.

YES, that is what I was going for the safety asspect - I have searched Betty
Cocker Cook Books (hard cover and three ring binder from different years)
and I could not find anywhere to how long to let it sit/safety wise before
you can use it in a receipe and in this case it is a Quick bread recipe that
is over 25+years old...

> Acid curdling to make sour milk is a very quick process.
>
> Pastorio

Jo Ann Schiefelbein

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
> > After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how
> > long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk
> > and safe before using it for baking and etc.?
> > Jo Ann

> About 1 hour, stirring occasionally

Thank You! That is what I was looking for and the safety aspect.

Bob Pastorio

Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:

> "Bob Pastorio" > wrote in message
>
>>Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
>>

>>>So texture and temperature does not matter in the recipe?

>>Here's what I addressed:
>> After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how
>>long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk and
>>safe before using it for baking and etc.?
>>
>>I have no idea what recipe you're making. When you used the word
>>"safe," I assumed you were asking about food safety.

> YES, that is what I was going for the safety asspect - I have searched Betty
> Cocker Cook Books (hard cover and three ring binder from different years)
> and I could not find anywhere to how long to let it sit/safety wise before
> you can use it in a receipe and in this case it is a Quick bread recipe that
> is over 25+years old...

I think I still don't understand. Adding vinegar to milk isn't a
situation that creates any hazard. There is no danger in it. It's
safe. The reason no one talks about its safety is because it's not an
issue.

How long milk takes to curdle will be dependent on the amount of acid
used, the temperatures of the ingredients and agitation or stirring.
Souring refrigerator-temp milk is a process that takes less than a
minute. Stir the vinegar into the milk and continue to stir it
briefly. You can see it change before your eyes. Stir it a little more
just to be sure. It's ready.

Pastorio

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Jo Ann Schiefelbein" > wrote in message
om...
>I have searched Betty Cocker Cook Books

Ummm....:-)

My Betty C*r*ocker book (or maybe it's Better Homes and Gardens) says 30
seconds to 1 minute.

Any chance you'd post that 25 year old recipe?

rona

Pennyaline

"Jo Ann Schiefelbein" wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote:
> > Jo Ann Schiefelbein wrote:
> > > After mixing Tablespoon of Vinegar with milk to equal 1 cup...how
> > > long should it "sit" at room temperature to become sour/buttermilk
> > > and safe before using it for baking and etc.?
> > > Jo Ann

> > About 1 hour, stirring occasionally
> >

> Thank You! That is what I was looking for and the safety aspect.

Wow. I'm still hung up on the "safety aspect." Did you mean 1) how long must
the milk-vinegar mixture sit before it can be safely used, or did you mean
2) how long can the milk-vinegar mixture sit out and still be safe to use?

Maybe I should just let it go.

Bob Pastorio

Pennyaline wrote:

> "Jo Ann Schiefelbein" wrote:

>>>About 1 hour, stirring occasionally
>>>

>> Thank You! That is what I was looking for and the safety aspect.

> Wow. I'm still hung up on the "safety aspect." Did you mean 1) how long must
> the milk-vinegar mixture sit before it can be safely used, or did you mean
> 2) how long can the milk-vinegar mixture sit out and still be safe to use?
>
> Maybe I should just let it go.

Here. Press this warm, damp cloth onto your forehead and lean back.
Listen to my soothing voice. You're feeling a wonderful calm coming
over you.

The thing about this safety question is that it's a meaningless issue.
There are no safety questions that are valid in the situation. It's
about the same as asking when it's going to turn blue.

No, no. Sit back. I see you have questions of your own. Listen to the
waterfall and imagine fish swimming peacefully around in a perfect
pool. The only important thing is that you're safe. Now imagine the
word "milk safety" written in big letters across the sky. Watch them
slowly disappear. Fade away. You're imagining them fading away and all
your questions are fading with them. Relax. Let your body fully relax.
Softly relax.

There. How's that.

Excuse me. How's that. Do you feel relaxed.

Um, Pennyaline...

<snore>

Pastorio