Snarfweazel!

Default Sugar Substitutes

Has anyone had any luck baking with Splenda brand sugar sub? I also
have questions on "Brown Sugar Substitute" in things like Banana bread,
anyone have any luck with these things?
--
If the Second Amendment is so out of date
then shouldn't we also throw out everything written

It's easier to preserve what we already have than
fight to regain what we have lost.

SAVE YOUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS!

David S. Cargo

"Snarfweazel!" > wrote:

>Has anyone had any luck baking with Splenda brand sugar sub? I also
>have questions on "Brown Sugar Substitute" in things like Banana bread,
>anyone have any luck with these things?

I have used Splenda in some of my baking. Their web site has sample
recipes. I have used it to make muffins that tasted the same as
similar muffins made with sugar. They did not look identical, so
tasters were able to tell them apart by appearance, but not by taste.

escargo

David S. Cargo )
Jane Lumley

In article >, David S. Cargo
> writes
>"Snarfweazel!" > wrote:
>
>>Has anyone had any luck baking with Splenda brand sugar sub? I also
>>have questions on "Brown Sugar Substitute" in things like Banana bread,
>>anyone have any luck with these things?

>I have used Splenda in some of my baking. Their web site has sample
>recipes. I have used it to make muffins that tasted the same as
>similar muffins made with sugar. They did not look identical, so
>tasters were able to tell them apart by appearance, but not by taste.
>
>escargo

IME it works best in recipes where the sugar is not a key binding agent
- so it's hopeless in eg jam, or icecream where it doesn't have sugar's
effect of lowering the freezing point,, but fine in simple cakes like
muffins and cupcakes. In biscuits the result is apt to be crumbly - add
a bit more liquid.
--
Jane Lumley