Dawn

Default a little help with baking pies

I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner, which
is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is going to
burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to put
around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
forget to buy aluminum foil again...
Pennyaline

"Dawn" wrote:
> I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner, which
> is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is going to
> burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
> problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to put
> around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
> that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
> forget to buy aluminum foil again...

Why didn't you go back to the store before the pies went into the oven?

Dawn

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:01:30 -0700, Pennyaline
> wrote:

> "Dawn" wrote:
>> I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner, which
>> is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is going
>> burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
>> problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to
>> put
>> around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
>> that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
>> forget to buy aluminum foil again...

> Why didn't you go back to the store before the pies went into the oven?

Too far..nearest store is at least 30 minutes away. But it seems luck is
on my side tonight...the filling baked faster than the recipe said. So my
crusts are fine. :-)

Next time I go to Costco I'll buy one of those big restaurant thingys of
foil. Then I won't run out for a LONG time. lol
pheasant

"Dawn" > wrote in message
news My crust is going to
> burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
> problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to put
> around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
> that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
> forget to buy aluminum foil again...

Do you bake hotter than 375 F?
If so, turn your oven down, bake it a bit longer (knife in middle to check
doneness) and no more hassling with foil or burned crust! My wife gave me
this tip many years ago; (our kitchen methods drive each other nuts) but
after 20 years it's the one bit of kitchen advice I still thank her for.

Mark
--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

LIMEYNO1

Another way to protect the crust is to use an aluminum pie plate with the
middle cut out.

"Dawn" > wrote in message
news

> I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner, which
> is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is going to
> burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
> problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to put
> around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
> that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
> forget to buy aluminum foil again...

Vox Humana

"Dawn" > wrote in message
news

> I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner, which
> is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is going to
> burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
> problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to put
> around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
> that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
> forget to buy aluminum foil again...

Make sure you bake the pies on the lowest position in the oven. If they are
close to the top, there is too much "top heat" and the crust tends to burn.
I can't recall having any pie crust burn. Do you put a lot of sugar in the
pastry or use a wash on it?

Vox Humana

"Dawn" > wrote in message
news

> I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner, which
> is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is going to
> burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about it now. The
> problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I have nothing to put
> around the edge of the crust to prevent burning. Is there anything else
> that can be done about this? You know, just in case I'm a bonehead and
> forget to buy aluminum foil again...

Another thought .... get an oven thermometer and check the oven temperature.
You might think your oven is at 325 but it might actually be much hotter.

Wayne Boatwright

Dawn > wrote in
news

> I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner,
> which is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is
> going to burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about
> it now. The problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I
> have nothing to put around the edge of the crust to prevent burning.
> Is there anything else that can be done about this? You know, just in
> case I'm a bonehead and forget to buy aluminum foil again...

Before you bake pies the next time, you could buy a couple of those "pie
rings" that are specifically made for laying on top of the crust edge and
preventing over-browning. They're _permanent_, and work wonders.

Wayne
Dee Randall

I've bought these rings myself. If they are the ones that are in 4 pieces
that you lay on top of your pies, they fall off my pies -- can't keep them
on without burning my arms, fingers.

Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dawn > wrote in
> news >
> >

> > I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner,
> > which is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust is
> > going to burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do about
> > it now. The problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil. So I
> > have nothing to put around the edge of the crust to prevent burning.
> > Is there anything else that can be done about this? You know, just in
> > case I'm a bonehead and forget to buy aluminum foil again...

> Before you bake pies the next time, you could buy a couple of those "pie
> rings" that are specifically made for laying on top of the crust edge and
> preventing over-browning. They're _permanent_, and work wonders.
>
> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I've bought these rings myself. If they are the ones that are in 4
> pieces that you lay on top of your pies, they fall off my pies --
> can't keep them on without burning my arms, fingers.
>
> Dee
>

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in
> message . ..
>> Dawn > wrote in
>> news >>
>> >

>> > I'm baking pumpkin pies at the moment for our Thanksgiving dinner,
>> > which is tomorrow. (we always do it early for convenience) My crust
>> > is going to burn and I've accepted that, there's nothing I can do
>> > about it now. The problem is...I'm completely out of aluminum foil.
>> > So I have nothing to put around the edge of the crust to prevent
>> > burning. Is there anything else that can be done about this? You
>> > know, just in case I'm a bonehead and forget to buy aluminum foil
>> > again...

>> Before you bake pies the next time, you could buy a couple of those
>> "pie rings" that are specifically made for laying on top of the crust
>> edge and preventing over-browning. They're _permanent_, and work
>> wonders.
>>
>> Wayne

No, I know the ones you're referring to. The rings I have are a a solid
complete circle in one piece. They neer fall off and are easy to remove.

This is similar to what I have, although mine are too heavy to cut to
resize.

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/?PID=...PN=Pie%20Rings

Wayne