Posted to rec.food.baking
MAX MAX is offline

Default Temple 4orange.

Temple orange.
These medium-size oranges have a deep orange color and a pebbly
surface that is easy to peel. Inside, they're fairly seedy but
delightfully sweet. Munch
them out of hand or juice them to avoid the seeds. Use the juice in
cocktails or breakfast
drinks.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 01:06:45 -0700 (PDT), MAX >
wrote:

>Temple orange.

This is a baking forum...how do you use them in baking?
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 01:06:45 -0700 (PDT), MAX >
> wrote:
>
>>Temple orange.

> This is a baking forum...how do you use them in baking?

Do a google search on "baked orange" or "orange bread"

You'd be surprised what you could learn if you'd just open your mind.
Oranges aren't just for juice or breakfast.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:01:43 -0400, " Nike" > wrote:

>You'd be surprised what you could learn if you'd just open your mind.
>Oranges aren't just for juice or breakfast.

In other words...you don't have a single thing to contribute
either?.....

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Flaky Blood Orange Tart

desserts, fruits, pastry

1 cup all-purpose flour; more for dusting
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
ounce butter; 1/2 inch cube
3 tablespoons ice water
8 blood oranges; five oz each
1 large egg yolk; mixed w/
2 tablespoon water

This basic, rustic crostata approach — thinly sliced fruit, some
sugar,
some butter and a flaky dough — is something you can use with any
fruit,
any time you want a quick and pretty dessert. (We’ve used this
previously
with the Simplest Apple Tart.) But really, it’s the perfect way to use
blood oranges; nothing will better show off their pretty hues.

1. In a food processor, pulse the 1 cup of flour with 2 tablespoons of
the
sugar and the baking powder and salt. Add the stick of cold butter and
pulse several times, just until it is the size of peas. Sprinkle the
dough
with the ice water and pulse just until moistened crumbs form. Turn
the
crumbs out onto a work surface, knead once or twice and pat the pastry
into
a disk. Wrap the pastry in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.

2. On a floured work surface, roll out the pastry to an 11-inch round,
about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer the pastry to a parchment paper–lined
flat
cookie sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until chilled.

3. Meanwhile, peel the blood oranges, removing all of the bitter white
pith. Thinly slice 2 of the oranges crosswise; remove the pits.
Transfer
the orange slices to a plate. Working over a sieve set over a bowl,
cut in
between the membranes of the remaining oranges, releasing the sections
into
the sieve. Remove the pits and gently shake out as much juice as
possible
without mashing the sections; you will need 1 cup of sections. Reserve
the
orange juice for another use.

4. Arrange the orange sections on the pastry, leaving a 2-inch border
all
around. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar over the oranges. Using a
paring knife, thinly slice the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter over
the
oranges. Fold up the pastry over the oranges, leaving most of the
oranges
uncovered. Brush the pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle lightly
with 1
tablespoon of the sugar. Arrange the orange slices on top, leaving a
1-inch
border of pastry all around. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of
sugar
on top. Freeze the tart until solid, at least 4 hours or preferably
overnight.

5. Preheat the oven to 375° and position a rack in the center. Place a
baking sheet on the rack below to catch any drips. Bake the tart
directly
from the freezer for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the fruit is
bubbling and
the pastry is deeply browned. Transfer the cookie sheet to a rack and
let
the tart cool for 30 minutes. Carefully slide the parchment paper onto
the
rack and let the tart cool completely. Serve with the Deep Dark Salted
Butter Caramel Sauce (below).

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Flank Steak Salad With Pineapple Salsa

appetizers, fruits, meats, Mexican, salads
salsas

2 cups pineaple, fresh; peeled & chopped
2 medium oranges; diced
1/2 cup red bell peppers; chopped
1/3 cup salsa verde
12 ounces sirlion steak; sliced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper; to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cup mixed greens

For pineapple salsa, in a medium bowl gently stir together pineapple,
orange, bell pepper, and picante or taco sauce. Set aside.

Trim fat from meat. Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size
strips.
Sprinkle with Mexican seasoning or chili powder, salt and pepper.

In a large skillet cook and stir half of the seasoned meat in hot oil
over
medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or to desired doneness. remove
from
skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat.

Arrange mixed greens on dinner plates. Top with meat and pineapple
salsa.

Yield: 4 servings.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Peach Orange Salsa

appetizers, fruits, Mexican, salsas

2 oranges; peel & chop
2 peaches; peel & chop
1 red bell pepper; diced
1 jalapeno pepper; diced
1 shallot; minced
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Combine all ingredients in medium bowl and stir. Cover and refrigerate
1-2
hours to blend flavors. Serve with grilled chicken or fish, or as an
appetizer dip with chips.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

White Asparagus With Orange Butter

fruits, vegetables

6 large oranges
2 pounds white asparagus, trimmed and peeled
2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
salt and pepper; to taste
4 tablespoons unsalted butter; cubed
leaves from 4 stems tarragon

Juice 5 oranges over a sieve, making about 1 1/2 cups juice. Zest 1
orange;
set zest aside. Using a paring knife, remove the skin, pith, and outer
membrane from the zested orange. Carefully cut each segment away from
white
membranes. This is called supreming the orange. Set segments aside.
Place
asparagus in a large saute pan. Add 1/2-inch of water, and bring to a
boil.
Lower the heat, and steam, about 8 minutes. Just before asparagus are
fully cooked, drain liquid from the saute pan. Add 1/4 cup orange
juice,
and simmer until asparagus are fork-tender. Remove from heat. Season
with
salt and pepper. Cover, to continue steaming while finishing the
sauce.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining 1 1/4 cups orange
juice to
a boil. Add vinegar, lower heat, and simmer until juice is reduced to
1/3
cup. Remove from heat, and stir in butter, 1 piece at a time, until
sauce
is thick and creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer asparagus
to a
warm platter, drizzle with sauce, and garnish with reserved orange
segments, reserved zest, and tarragon.

Notes: 2003 Martha Stewart

Hamlin 4orange. MAX Baking 1 26-07-2009 12:11 PM
Temple oranges. werwiniskp General Cooking 0 13-04-2009 04:32 PM
Temple orange. l max General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 06:01 PM
Temple orange.222 dkeroeko Beer 0 18-03-2009 03:44 PM
Temple Addition Virginia Tadrzynski Preserving 4 01-08-2007 03:33 AM