Posted to rec.food.baking

Default How to Treat Fish the Right Way

Seafood, like eggs, needs to be prepared low and slow. High heat does
nothing to seafood except insure that it will come out tough and dry.
An exception can be made for grilled and deep fried seafood, in which
case the rule is hot and quick.
One of the most popular ways to treat seafood is by frying. Since
seafood is so heat sensitive, if you are going to fry it you should
either have an electric deep fryer or a thermometer. Don't try to
guess when the food is done because you will be wrong most of the
time. The temperature of the fat should be at least 375 degrees but,
if you are going to fry a large batch make it 425 degrees since once
you add the fish the temperature will drop. Once you get the
temperature right the only other thing that can affect your fish is
the batter.
A good batter will brown the fish but not accept a lot of oil. The
formula is easy; dry the fish and season lightly on both sides with
salt and pepper. One at a time, dip the fish first in flour, shake off
the excess, dip it in an egg wash (lightly beaten egg with a few
tablespoons of water), shake off excess and lay the fish in a shallow
bowl with the coating of your choice, breadcrumbs, corn meal, matzo
meal, or a mixture of one or two of them. Press the coating into the
fish. It helps if you refrigerate the fish for about thirty minutes to
let the coating set. This method is recommended for sauteing as well
as frying.
Sauteing fish is very much like frying it only you use a small amount
of oil. If you are using butter add a little olive oil in so the
butter doesn't burn. Again, the theme is low and slow. In both
methods, frying or sauteing, you can tell as much by the color of the
fish as you can the time you cook it, provided the heat is at the
right temperature.
Poaching is my favorite way to treat fish. It's also the easiest. The
poaching liquid can be water, wine, fish stock or a combination of all
three. You can also poach fish in water with the juice of a half of
lemon added. When poaching a delicate fish, like salmon, I have even
used orange juice as a poaching liquid. Timing is really crucial when
you poach fish. My method is to bring the water to a simmer, put the
fish in the pan. The liquid should be enough to reach at least 3/4 of
the fish. As soon as the liquid returns to the simmer, take the pan
off the heat, cover and wait 15 minutes. You will never ruin a fish
fillet by using this method.
Baking, or roasting whole fish is a wonderful way to serve it,
particularly if it is stuffed. The Canadian Department of Fisheries
has developed a formula for cooking fish that works well. Measure the
fish at its thickest point and cook exactly 10 minutes per inch. This
applies to any method of cooking fish. If the fish measures 2 inches
at it thickest point you cook it for 20 minutes. If the fish is frozen
double the cooking time.
Preparing shellfish and other sea creatures isn't any different as far
as cooking times are concerned with the exception of squid. Squid
rings should be dropped into simmering liquid, taken off the stove and
let stand for about 45 seconds. That's right, I said 45 seconds.
Remove the squid, run under cold water and then use any way you like,
in a salad, with pasta, whatever. Ignore this advice and plan to serve
rubber bands for dinner.

http://groups.google.com/group/arcook/
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:28:36 -0700 (PDT), Louis Lee
> wrote:

>Seafood, like eggs, needs to be prepared low and slow

And what does this have to do with a baking forum?

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:28:36 -0700 (PDT), Louis Lee
> > wrote:
>
>>Seafood, like eggs, needs to be prepared low and slow

> And what does this have to do with a baking forum?

'Zactly the same thing your (and my) post do.

Oh, No! It's Mr. Bill

Posted to rec.food.baking

You need to treat fish with respect, you idiot!!

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:58:25 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jul 23, 5:28*am, Louis Lee > wrote:
>
>You need to treat fish with respect, you idiot!!

Take your carp....or I meant to spell crap to the fish forum.

How many personalities are IN your head? Too many are spilling out
into the sane world.