Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Not enough rise

For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did it
rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?

The bread is simple:

1 cup bread flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 egg
some butter
just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?
I would guess that the yeast is too old James. I would run to the store and pick up some new yeast to see if that does the trick.
Posted to rec.food.baking

"james" > wrote in message ...
> For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
> enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did it
> rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.
>
> Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
> incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?
>
> The bread is simple:
>
> 1 cup bread flour
> 2 tbsp yeast
> 5 tbsp sugar
> 1 tbsp salt
> 1 egg
> some butter
> just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Did you use fast-acting (bread machine) yeast?

Tonia

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:56:17 -0700, "james" > wrote:

>For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
>enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did it
>rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.
>
>Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
>incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?
>
>The bread is simple:
>
>1 cup bread flour
>2 tbsp yeast
>5 tbsp sugar
>1 tbsp salt
>1 egg
>some butter
>just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Where did you get that recipe? I don't think that there is any way it
would make a loaf of bread.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article >,
Prison Mike > wrote:

> james;1326025 Wrote:
> >

> > Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
> > incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?
> >

> I would guess that the yeast is too old James. I would run to the
> store and pick up some new yeast to see if that does the trick.

Fleischman's never worked well for me. Now I buy what ever bulk yeast
they have in the health section of the market or in those little
see-through plastic containers.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/2...ra_hass_on_the

Posted to rec.food.baking

james wrote:
> For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
> enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did
> it rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.
>
> Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
> incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?
>
> The bread is simple:
>
> 1 cup bread flour
> 2 tbsp yeast
> 5 tbsp sugar
> 1 tbsp salt
> 1 egg
> some butter
> just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Where did the recipe originate? I've never seen a bread recipe with a
single cup of flour!

gloria p

rise times [email protected] Sourdough 2 21-07-2007 04:06 PM
Rise of Cancer [email protected] General Cooking 3 11-12-2006 11:59 PM
Getting a rise in rye Felix Karpfen Sourdough 12 13-10-2005 08:09 PM
rise only during bake?? Michael Sourdough 2 08-02-2005 04:26 PM
how to get a rise J Boehm Sourdough 3 08-12-2004 11:38 PM