Old 02-06-2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Not enough rise

For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did it
rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?

The bread is simple:

1 cup bread flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 egg
some butter
just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Old 05-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?
I would guess that the yeast is too old James. I would run to the store and pick up some new yeast to see if that does the trick.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"james" wrote in message ...
For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did it
rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?

The bread is simple:

1 cup bread flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 egg
some butter
just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Did you use fast-acting (bread machine) yeast?

Tonia

Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 12:56:17 -0700, "james" wrote:

For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did it
rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?

The bread is simple:

1 cup bread flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 egg
some butter
just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Where did you get that recipe? I don't think that there is any way it
would make a loaf of bread.
--
Susan N.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:15 PM posted to rec.food.baking

In article ,
Prison Mike wrote:

james;1326025 Wrote:

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?

I would guess that the yeast is too old James. I would run to the
store and pick up some new yeast to see if that does the trick.

Fleischman's never worked well for me. Now I buy what ever bulk yeast
they have in the health section of the market or in those little
see-through plastic containers.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/6/2...ra_hass_on_the

Old 08-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Ummm... yeah that is a common problem... u can try ading in more water

MAy be, u can find a soultion on this blog written by a traveller, who loves food frm different destinations - The Dark Truth

Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 PM posted to rec.food.baking

james wrote:
For some reason the bread I try to make in a break maker is not rising
enough. Actually, I made maybe twenty test breads and only one time did
it rise enough. I don't recall doing anything different that time.

Is there a way to tell whether the yeast is too old, temperature is
incorrect, or other reason by examining the bread?

The bread is simple:

1 cup bread flour
2 tbsp yeast
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
1 egg
some butter
just enough water to make a dough ball (less than 1/4 cup)

Where did the recipe originate? I've never seen a bread recipe with a
single cup of flour!

gloria p

rise times [email protected] Sourdough 2 21-07-2007 04:06 PM
Rise of Cancer [email protected] General Cooking 3 11-12-2006 11:59 PM
Getting a rise in rye Felix Karpfen Sourdough 12 13-10-2005 08:09 PM
rise only during bake?? Michael Sourdough 2 08-02-2005 04:26 PM
how to get a rise J Boehm Sourdough 3 08-12-2004 11:38 PM