FoodBanter.com

-   -   Saviata or Shavolette Cookie Recipe (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/172367-saviata-shavolette-cookie-recipe.html)

[email protected] 19-05-2009 06:45 PM

Saviata or Shavolette Cookie Recipe

I've been looking and looking for a recipe for these cookies, which
are carried in a number of Italian bakeries in the New York/New Jersey
area. They are delicious!!!

Although they are sometimes incorrectly called Savoiardi, they are not
the standard ladyfingers, which are sometimes used in desserts like
tierra misu cakes. They are flatter, flavored (almond?) and have a
pale white crust or glaze on them.

Here's a photo:
http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...f79b2a49d151a2

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...JohnB

Boron Elgar 19-05-2009 09:00 PM

On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:45:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I've been looking and looking for a recipe for these cookies, which
>are carried in a number of Italian bakeries in the New York/New Jersey
>area. They are delicious!!!
>
>Although they are sometimes incorrectly called Savoiardi, they are not
>the standard ladyfingers, which are sometimes used in desserts like
>tierra misu cakes. They are flatter, flavored (almond?) and have a
>pale white crust or glaze on them.
>
>Here's a photo:

http://www.quickfilepost.com/downloa...f79b2a49d151a2

>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks...JohnB

Could there be any anisette flavoring in these cookies?

Boron

Old Hound 08-06-2009 10:08 AM

Ohkay, interesting recipe....
Loved that one...

Also found interesting (and absolutely relevant) this blog discussing tastes from different parts of the world - The Dark Truth

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 1319601)

jcgoldfarb 17-12-2020 06:15 PM

Saviata or Shavolette Cookie Recipe

according to this website you posted this a LONG time ago - but I just stumbled across it. I have been going over my mom's recipes with her and doing our christmas baking... and we just made what you are looking for.
6 eggs
1lb of confectionary sugar (about 3 3/4 cups)
1lb of flour (about 3 1/2 cups)
1tsp of vanilla extract
1tsp of anise extract
4 tsp of baking powder
Put 2 eggs in a bowl at a time and beat them well (stand or hand mixer can be used) Add in the sugar a little at a time and mix well. Add in the extracts, baking powder - mix and then add flour a little at a time until all is blended. Batter is very gooey and sticky. Prepare your baking sheets by spraying cooking spray on the sheet - cover with parchment paper and spray the parchment paper as well. Place the batter in a pastry bag or use a ziplock bag and snip off the tip. Form oblong shapes on the cookie sheet. leave enough room as the batter will spread. Bake for about 6 minutes or until slightly golden brown on the bottom in a 350 degree oven. Keep your eye on the cookies - as they cook quickly.
I do hope this email reaches you and you get a chance to make them. They are one of my favorites as well as the Pignoli, and Lemon Anginetti cookies - which we will be baking next. Hope you make them and enjoy!

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/baking/...ipe-12564-.htm