Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Amish friendship bread

The other day my kendo teacher gave me some starter for Amish friendship
bread, and I have some questions.

I could not find the exact recipe that I am using, but most go something
like this (the exact days when you add stuff seems to differ from recipe
to recipe):

1. Make starter and put 1c of it in a 1-gallon plastic bag (day 1)

2. Days 2-5 - mush bag

3. Day 6 - add 1 cup each flour, sugar and milk.

4. Day 7-9 - mush bag

5. Day 10 add 1c each sugar, flour and milk.

6. Put 1c of the starter into 4 bags and date them to give to friends (3)
and keep the 4th for yourself.

7. Add a bunch of other stuff, and bake for 1 hour at 325
degrees.

My questions are as follows:

1. Aside from myself and my kendo teacher who obviously already has the
starter, I really do not know 4 people who bake, and I cannot really
figure out what to do with the 4 bags of starter I got. Other than
chunking them, the only thing I can think of is to freeze them, then when
I want to make some more, I thaw the bag, add ~1/2 tsp yeast and call
that day 1?

2. I am not so sure I want to have to bake exactly every 10 days. Can
this recipe be shortened or lengthened, so for example, you could bake
every or every other Saturday or Sunday.

3. In steps 3 and 5 could you put 1/4 cups of each (as opposed to a full
cup), so that in step 6 you have enough for 1 bag for yourself, and
enough left in the bowl to make a loaf of bread.

Brian Christiansen