Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Convert this to moderated group?

Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
to find anything on-topic!
Posted to rec.food.baking

That sounds like a good idea to investigate. I'll look and see what the
process to convert is. If anyone happens to know, jump in with the
answer please.

marcella

In article
anthony > wrote:

> Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
> sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
> most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
> with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
> to find anything on-topic!

Posted to rec.food.baking

"anthony" <wrote in message
> Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group?

Converting won't work, there will be too much opposition. Far easier to form
a new rfb(moderated) group. This has been my experience when .local groups
have been moderated.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"anthony" > wrote in message
> Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
> sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
> most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
> with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
> to find anything on-topic!

I don't see a single item of spam.

But then, I have all google groups posts filtered out.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:15:15 -0800 (PST), anthony
> wrote:

>Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
>sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
>most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
>with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
>to find anything on-topic!

It requires more than a few minutes once in a while to weed out the
garbage. You have to set it up so that all the messages come to the
moderator and that person has to post them. I think it also takes
some special software to do it.

News servers that block obvious junk and/or a newsreader that allows
you to filter messages works well. Right now I see 10 messages in my
"not ignored" view and 7 in the "ignored" view. That is 15 days worth
of messages. The amount of spam is decreasing since several of the
major ISP's have discontinued Internet service.

I'm not sure that I want anyone else to decide what messages I should
read or not read.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Is there any way to establish a "kill" file via message filter the way
I've been able to do with email I want to delete? I don't see a way to
do that with newsgroups, at least with Firefox.
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Dan Wenz" > wrote in message
> Is there any way to establish a "kill" file via message filter the way
> I've been able to do with email I want to delete? I don't see a way to do
> that with newsgroups, at least with Firefox.

I can in outlook, under message you can either create a rule from a message
or block sender, under tools you can create a whole new rule. I've been able
to do this with some but need to add more. I've created rules if there is
watches
or nike or purse, pet bed, etc in the sender name it would be deleted. I
also do
it on certain subjects.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:15:15 -0800 (PST), anthony
> wrote:

>Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
>sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
>most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
>with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
>to find anything on-topic!

The problem is finding someone who wants to be the moderator and is a
good one.

- Mark
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mar 7, 1:37*am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> "anthony" > wrote in message

> > Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
> > sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
> > most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
> > with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
> > to find anything on-topic!

> I don't see a single item of spam.
>
> But then, I have all google groups posts filtered out.

Are you sure? I started this thread and all my posts are via Google....
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Mar 8, 11:57*am, Mark A.Meggs > wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:15:15 -0800 (PST), anthony
>
> > wrote:
> >Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
> >sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
> >most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
> >with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
> >to find anything on-topic!

> The problem is finding someone who wants to be the moderator and is a
> good one.
>
> - Mark

I don't know about the technicalities of setting it up, but I'd be
happy to work as moderator. No censorship of course as long as
subjects aren't too off-topic (ie no endless ads for Lacoste, handbags
etc etc). No racist or religioius rants either, as I can't see what
either of those topics have to do with baking.....

Posted to rec.food.baking

"anthony" > wrote in message
On Mar 7, 1:37 am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> "anthony" > wrote in message

> > Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
> > sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
> > most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
> > with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
> > to find anything on-topic!

> I don't see a single item of spam.
>
> But then, I have all google groups posts filtered out.

Are you sure? I started this thread and all my posts are via Google....

Not entirely sure why yours come through.
I do what I was told on RFC, and I know I don't get 'gmail' or similar.
Yours show on my inbox as netscape.net.
I sure don't get heaps of spam in my inbox - the occasional one but rarely.

Hoges in WA

Posted to rec.food.baking

Here's what I found on switching to moderated.

"From unmoderated to moderated.
Changing a group from unmoderated to moderated is ³strongly discouraged²
which, in practice, means ³practically impossible. ²
- There are many News Service Providers who would not make the
change. Some people would see a moderated group, others with different
NSPs would see the moderated version.
- Such changes in the past have cultivated massive resentments.
Leaving the original group intact and creating a companion moderated
group allows group members to have a choice between the two different
kinds of newsgroups on the same topic.
- In all likelihood, the board won't even publish an RFD to change a
group from unmoderated to moderated. A proposal for such a change should
not be submitted unless the group finds a way to demonstrate virtual
unanimity. We strongly recommend that you instead spend your effort on
learning how to use filters or how to create a moderated companion to
the original group."

marcella
Posted to rec.food.baking

"anthony" > wrote in message
On Mar 7, 1:37 am, "Hoges in WA" > wrote:
> "anthony" > wrote in message

> > Is anyone interested in converting this to a moderated group? I'm not
> > sure of the process involved, but would be happy to spend some minutes
> > most days checking postings. As it is now, this group is so swamped
> > with spam from clothing, watches and other sellers that it's very hard
> > to find anything on-topic!

> I don't see a single item of spam.
>
> But then, I have all google groups posts filtered out.

Are you sure? I started this thread and all my posts are via Google....

I just blocked 2 spammers yesterday.

Posted to rec.food.baking

I do NOT wish to take over this group. But I have started a yahoo group
with the same name that can be moderated. I am willing to moderate until
someone wishes to do so. Please let me know what you think.

mompeagram
FERGUS/HARLINGEN

A moderated group Yonderboy Barbecue 1 19-12-2005 08:14 PM
RIP afb: We need moderated AFB! The Ranger Barbecue 28 01-11-2005 05:28 PM
Is this a moderated group? Steve Spurrier Recipes 0 02-02-2005 04:56 PM
Why not start a moderated group? Beach Runner Vegan 31 23-07-2004 05:18 AM
is this group moderated truebador Sushi 1 01-10-2003 11:58 PM