Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default Apple/Cheddar Pie

I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
with a slice of cheddar.

Where and HOW did that food custom start? I have lived in the
north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
way.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
> with a slice of cheddar.
>
> Where and HOW did that food custom start? I have lived in the
> north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
> way.

Apples and cheese are such a natural combination, IMO. They just go so
well together. I've eaten it on rare occasion at home but not out as I
never see it sold or served that way but in homes.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:
> Mr. Bill wrote:
>> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
>> with a slice of cheddar.
>> Where and HOW did that food custom start? I have lived in the
>> north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
>> way.

> Apples and cheese are such a natural combination, IMO. They just go so
> well together. I've eaten it on rare occasion at home but not out as I
> never see it sold or served that way but in homes.

Mr. Bill, just WHERE have you lived that you have never seen this? A
slice of apple pie with a chunk of sharp cheddar was de rigueur when I
was growing up. It's delicious! Such a complimentary contrast of
flavors... yum!
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:

> Goomba wrote:
>> Mr. Bill wrote:
>>> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
>>> with a slice of cheddar. Where and HOW did that food custom start?
>>> I have lived in the north and now the south but never see anyone serving
>>> apple pie this way.

>> Apples and cheese are such a natural combination, IMO. They just go so
>> well together. I've eaten it on rare occasion at home but not out as I
>> never see it sold or served that way but in homes.

> Mr. Bill, just WHERE have you lived that you have never seen this? A slice
> of apple pie with a chunk of sharp cheddar was de rigueur when I was
> growing up. It's delicious! Such a complimentary contrast of flavors...
> yum!

You're talking to a guy who always has exactly the same menu for every
holiday. He's not much for branching out. If Billy's mother never paired
apple pie and cheddar, the combination is strange and frightening to him.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Mr. Bill wrote:
> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
> with a slice of cheddar.
>
> Where and HOW did that food custom start? I have lived in the
> north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
> way.

It started as far back as I can remember. It has to be real cheddar.
Even a mild one will do. What I can't understand is the slices of
processed cheese I have seen on apple pie. Yech.

Apple and cheddar is a good combination. Pear and blue cheese is an
even better one.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Apple and cheddar is a good combination. Pear and blue cheese is an even
> better one.

Especially with the addition of walnuts and port.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote on Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:02:42 -0500:

> Mr. Bill wrote:
>> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple
>> pie topped with a slice of cheddar. Where and HOW did that food
>> custom start? I have lived in
>> the north and now the south but never see anyone serving
>> apple pie this way.

>Apples and cheese are such a natural combination, IMO. They just go so
>well together. I've eaten it on rare occasion at home but not out as I
>never see it sold or served that way but in homes.

I've been offered the combination in restaurants in New England and
Yorkshire, England and I agree that it is good!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 8:01*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
> with a slice of cheddar. * *
>
> Where and HOW did that food custom start? * * I have lived in the
> north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
> way. *

Have you ever had a cheese/fruit plate with wine? A good friend gave
us Harry & David pears,apples, and cheddar for Xmas- really a good
combo...
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Check out this website.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
> with a slice of cheddar.
>
> Where and HOW did that food custom start? I have lived in the
> north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
> way.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 4:01*pm, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
> with a slice of cheddar. * *

Apple and cheddar are a very traditional combo and have been for
centuries.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" > wrote in message
>I have never understood the attraction to a slice of apple pie topped
> with a slice of cheddar.
>
> Where and HOW did that food custom start? I have lived in the
> north and now the south but never see anyone serving apple pie this
> way.

A slice of apple pie and a piece of cheddar cheese were, and still are,
pretty standard fare at a Vermont farm's breakfast table. Pies were/are
commonly served for breakfast. And the combination is often found on
restaurant dessert menus around here. Especially during "leaf
peeper"season!