Dee Randall

Default Digital Kitchen Food Scale-Want recommendation

Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok) for
price of between $40-50 that they would recommend? I see a lot on the
internet, but I wouldn't know where to start in consideration for
purchasing.

I'm using a Braun with those little lines and you have to circle/swivel
around to find ounces or grams. It's getting to be a headache.

Thanks,
Dee

barry

Do NOT get a Terraillon. I have one and it's a piece of junk. The zero
changes as you use it. It's inaccurate at low weights.
My scale has now decided that it doesn't like to turn off, so I have to wait
for the thing to shut itself off. The tare function works, most of the
time.

There has to be a better scale out there somewhere.

Barry

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok) for
> price of between $40-50 that they would recommend? I see a lot on the
> internet, but I wouldn't know where to start in consideration for
> purchasing.
>
> I'm using a Braun with those little lines and you have to circle/swivel
> around to find ounces or grams. It's getting to be a headache.
>
> Thanks,
> Dee

Reg

Dee Randall wrote:

> Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok) for
> price of between $40-50 that they would recommend? I see a lot on the
> internet, but I wouldn't know where to start in consideration for
> purchasing.

I'm using a Salter 3001. It's compact, lightweight, and has
proven to be quite durable. It cost me under $50 USD.

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Dee Randall wrote:

>Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok) f=

or
>price of between $40-50 that they would recommend?

I bought a Soehnle Futura about a year ago.

http://store.yahoo.com/bpm-n-bpm-store/sofufosc.html

But it is 59.95 (free shipping) now.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Spend 40 bucks and you get some marvel from China.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Dee Randall

I see it is from Switzerland. Like Bernina's sewing machines made in
Switzerland that are very good.
Thanks for the Tip.
Dee

--
Sincerly,

C=¦-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Dee Randall

Dear H.W.Hans,
I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where you can
weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to get
back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight systems. Is
it difficult to catch onto this feature?
Thanks so much.

Dee Randall wrote:

>Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok) for
>price of between $40-50 that they would recommend?

I bought a Soehnle Futura about a year ago.

http://store.yahoo.com/bpm-n-bpm-store/sofufosc.html

But it is 59.95 (free shipping) now.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Spend 40 bucks and you get some marvel from China.

--
Sincerly,

C=¦-)§ H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Dee Randall wrote:

>Dear H.W.Hans,
>I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where you =

can
>weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
>puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to ge=

>back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight systems. =

Is
>it difficult to catch onto this feature?

Hi Dee.

It is easy as pie.

You turn the scale on with your container on it and it will come out <0>.=

Or turn it on, it will be <0>. Set your container on it, it will weigh=20
that, press the button again, it will be <0>.
Add your first ingredients and press the button, it will zero again, and =

so on.

If you forget to turn the scale off, it will turn itself off after 5=20
minutes.

It's so simple, a kid could operate it. Dummy-proof.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "H. W. Hans
Kuntze" > wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
> >Dear H.W.Hans, I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the
> >feature where you can weigh the ingredients that you are adding to
> >other ingredients. Whapt puzzles me is that it looks as if there is
> >only one button to push to get back to zero and add and also to work
> >in two different weight systems. Is it difficult to catch onto
> >this feature?
> >

> Hi Dee.
>
> It is easy as pie.
>
> You turn the scale on with your container on it and it will come out
> <0>. Or turn it on, it will be <0>. Set your container on it, it will
> weigh that, press the button again, it will be <0>. Add your first
> ingredients and press the button, it will zero again, and so on.
>
> If you forget to turn the scale off, it will turn itself off after 5
> minutes.
>
> It's so simple, a kid could operate it. Dummy-proof.

Her question was more about shifting the display from metric to
avoirdupois than about the tare feature, though. Perhaps there's a side
button that doesn't show? I don't know.
--
-Barb
<www.jamlady.eboard.com>
Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Dear H.W.Hans,
> I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where you

can
> weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
> puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to get
> back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight systems.

Is
> it difficult to catch onto this feature?
> Thanks so much.
> Dee

My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to metric.
The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

Dee Randall

Thanks for all of your advice.
Dear Vox,
I assume you are speaking of the same scale, Soehnle Futura, and

I'm wondering if you have to turn over this scale or lift it up to be able
to reach this mechanism, to change from oz to gr?

Dee

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Dear H.W.Hans,
> > I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where you

> can
> > weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
> > puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to

get
> > back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight systems.

> Is
> > it difficult to catch onto this feature?
> > Thanks so much.
> > Dee
> >

> My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to

metric.
> The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

Dee Randall

Vox,
I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under the
scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
2 cups water
6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
or any variation thereof.

It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the
scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go
back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.

This is only an base example, but maybe I have made my question
understandable.

Thanks,
Dee

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Dear H.W.Hans,
> > I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where you

> can
> > weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
> > puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to

get
> > back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight systems.

> Is
> > it difficult to catch onto this feature?
> > Thanks so much.
> > Dee
> >

> My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to

metric.
> The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> [...]
>
>Her question was more about shifting the display from metric to=20
>avoirdupois than about the tare feature, though. Perhaps there's a side=

=20
>button that doesn't show? I don't know.
> =20

The button where you switch metric to ounces is a slide switch, under a=20
flap where the battery sits.
That is something you set once and forget about it.

I don't switch it often, but you could.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

H. W. Hans Kuntze

Dee Randall wrote:

>Vox,
>I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under t=

he
>scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
>2 cups water
>6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
>1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
>or any variation thereof.
>
>It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the=

>scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go=

>back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
>stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.

It would be too inconvenient IMHO to switch back and forth constantly.

You stick with one setting.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Vox,
> I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under the
> scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
> 2 cups water
> 6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
> 1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
> or any variation thereof.
>
> It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the
> scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go
> back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
> stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.
>
> This is only an base example, but maybe I have made my question
> understandable.
>
> Thanks,
> Dee

The only time I use the setting for pounds/ounces is when the recipe is
written in that format or when I need to weight something for the auto-cook
settings on the microwave. You really shouldn't switch back and forth in a
recipe. You can convert all your recipes to the metric system and stick
with grams. It is by far the best way to go, especially if you want to
increase or decrease the recipe. You can use the USDA database to get the
metric conversion for most ingredients. For instance, they list municipal
water as 237gm/cup or 29.6 grams/oz.

Here is a link to the database:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

Ken'

Dee
You have me confused, as I always thought that measuring cups measure in
*FLUID* ounces and not in avoirdupois ounces. Fluid ounces and avoirdupois
ounces are not the same.
I have never weighed a cup of water so I have no idea how much it would
weigh in avoirdupois ounces. ( could someone that has a scale weigh a cup of
water? )
However once you get your scale, you could always weigh a cup of water and
see how many grams or ounces it is so you would not have to change the scale
back and forth.
Ken'

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Vox,
> I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under the
> scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
> 2 cups water
> 6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
> 1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
> or any variation thereof.
>
> It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the
> scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go
> back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
> stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.
>
> This is only an base example, but maybe I have made my question
> understandable.
>
> Thanks,
> Dee
>

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > > Dear H.W.Hans,
> > > I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where

you
> > can
> > > weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
> > > puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to

> get
> > > back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight

systems.
> > Is
> > > it difficult to catch onto this feature?
> > > Thanks so much.
> > > Dee
> > >

> > My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to

> metric.
> > The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

Dee Randall

My husband says that with fresh water, fluid ounces and avoirdupois are the
same for all intents and purposes.
One pint of water = 16 FLUID OUNCES which weights 1.04 lbs.
"A pint is a pound the world around." [One pint of water weighs one pound.]

Ken, here is a posting that you might not have seen. It is not mine. I
don't see it on here anymore. Perhaps it might help.
Cup sets are now often sold in metric format. Mine are as follows:

"Ken'" > wrote in message
> Dee
> You have me confused, as I always thought that measuring cups measure in
> *FLUID* ounces and not in avoirdupois ounces. Fluid ounces and

avoirdupois
> ounces are not the same.
> I have never weighed a cup of water so I have no idea how much it would
> weigh in avoirdupois ounces. ( could someone that has a scale weigh a cup

of
> water? )
> However once you get your scale, you could always weigh a cup of water and
> see how many grams or ounces it is so you would not have to change the

scale
> back and forth.
> Ken'
>

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Vox,
> > I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under

the
> > scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
> > 2 cups water
> > 6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
> > 1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
> > or any variation thereof.
> >
> > It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the
> > scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go
> > back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
> > stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.
> >
> > This is only an base example, but maybe I have made my question
> > understandable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dee

> you
> > > can

Whapt

> > get

> systems.
> > > Is
> > > >
> > > My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to

> > metric.
> > > The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

Ken'

Dee
You have me confused, as I always thought that measuring cups measure in
*FLUID* ounces and not in avoirdupois ounces. Fluid ounces and avoirdupois
ounces are not the same.
I have never weighed a cup of water so I have no idea how much it would
weigh in avoirdupois ounces. ( could someone that has a scale weigh a cup of
water? )
However once you get your scale, you could always weigh a cup of water and
see how many grams or ounces it is so you would not have to change the scale
back and forth.
Ken'

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Vox,
> I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under the
> scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
> 2 cups water
> 6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
> 1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
> or any variation thereof.
>
> It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the
> scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go
> back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
> stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.
>
> This is only an base example, but maybe I have made my question
> understandable.
>
> Thanks,
> Dee
>

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > > Dear H.W.Hans,
> > > I looked on line at the Soehnle Futura and it has the feature where

you
> > can
> > > weigh the ingredients that you are adding to other ingredients. Whapt
> > > puzzles me is that it looks as if there is only one button to push to

> get
> > > back to zero and add and also to work in two different weight

systems.
> > Is
> > > it difficult to catch onto this feature?
> > > Thanks so much.
> > > Dee
> > >

> > My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to

> metric.
> > The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

LIMEYNO1

There are 2 types of measuring cups, dry and wet. Usually wet are glass or
plastic you can see through and you don't fill them right to the top but to
a line. Dry measure usually come in sets of 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 2/3 cup, 1/2
cup, 3/4 cup and 1 cup and you fill and level at the rim. This is how the
tupperware set of dry measure works.

"Ken'" > wrote in message
> Dee
> You have me confused, as I always thought that measuring cups measure in
> *FLUID* ounces and not in avoirdupois ounces. Fluid ounces and

avoirdupois
> ounces are not the same.
> I have never weighed a cup of water so I have no idea how much it would
> weigh in avoirdupois ounces. ( could someone that has a scale weigh a cup

of
> water? )
> However once you get your scale, you could always weigh a cup of water and
> see how many grams or ounces it is so you would not have to change the

scale
> back and forth.
> Ken'
>
> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Vox,
> > I forgot to complete my question regarding the conversion button under

the
> > scale. Since so many recipes will be, for example;
> > 2 cups water
> > 6-1/4 cups (860 grams) flour
> > 1 tablespoon (15 grams) salt
> > or any variation thereof.
> >
> > It would be logical to measure 2 cups of water in the oz. portion of the
> > scale, but one would want to measure the flour in grams. So does one go
> > back and forth between oz and grams when measuring, or you just have to
> > stick to one measurement throughout one's measurement.
> >
> > This is only an base example, but maybe I have made my question
> > understandable.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dee

> you
> > > can

Whapt

> > get

> systems.
> > > Is
> > > >
> > > My Soehnle Scale has a button on the bottom to shift from English to

> > metric.
> > > The button on the top operates as Hans has described.

The Iron Muffin

Ken wrote:

> Dee
> You have me confused, as I always thought that measuring cups measure in
> *FLUID* ounces and not in avoirdupois ounces. Fluid ounces and

avoirdupois
> ounces are not the same.
> I have never weighed a cup of water so I have no idea how much it would
> weigh in avoirdupois ounces. ( could someone that has a scale weigh a cup

of
> water? )
> However once you get your scale, you could always weigh a cup of water and
> see how many grams or ounces it is so you would not have to change the

scale
> back and forth.

Liquids with a specific gravity similar to water weigh about a pound per
pint (2 cups).

A simple rule of thumb to remember is "a pint is a pound, the world around".

--
The Iron Muffin

DEAD FREAKS UNITE

Who are you? Where are you?

How are you?

Pennyaline

"LIMEYNO1" wrote:
> There are 2 types of measuring cups, dry and wet. Usually wet are glass

or
> plastic you can see through and you don't fill them right to the top but

> a line. Dry measure usually come in sets of 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 2/3 cup,

1/2
> cup, 3/4 cup and 1 cup and you fill and level at the rim. This is how the
> tupperware set of dry measure works.

My first set of dry measure cups was from Tupperware ("Daffodil," in fact),
and I don't remember having separate 2/3 and 3/4 cup units. No set I've had
since has had them, either. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 cup units are standard for
these sets.

LIMEYNO1

Perhaps they are distributed different where you are than here. I
definitely have 3/4 cup may be wrong about 2/3. But they do exsist because I
have one or two although I can't remember if they are tupperware or not.

"Pennyaline" > wrote in
message ...
> "LIMEYNO1" wrote:
> > There are 2 types of measuring cups, dry and wet. Usually wet are glass

> or
> > plastic you can see through and you don't fill them right to the top but

> > a line. Dry measure usually come in sets of 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 2/3 cup,

> 1/2
> > cup, 3/4 cup and 1 cup and you fill and level at the rim. This is how

the
> > tupperware set of dry measure works.

> My first set of dry measure cups was from Tupperware ("Daffodil," in

fact),
> and I don't remember having separate 2/3 and 3/4 cup units. No set I've

had
> since has had them, either. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 cup units are standard for
> these sets.

Felice Friese

Default Measuring Cups (was Digital Kitchen Food Scale)

"LIMEYNO1" wrote about measuring cups:

> Perhaps they are distributed different where you are than here. I
> definitely have 3/4 cup may be wrong about 2/3. But they do exsist because

> have one or two although I can't remember if they are tupperware or not.

King Arthur sells 3/4-cup and 2/3-cup measures. Stainless steel, I believe.
Very handy.

Felice

SCUBApix

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok) for
> price of between $40-50 that they would recommend? I see a lot on the
> internet, but I wouldn't know where to start in consideration for
> purchasing.
>
> I'm using a Braun with those little lines and you have to circle/swivel
> around to find ounces or grams. It's getting to be a headache.
>
> Thanks,
> Dee

Let me put my $0.02 in here. I have a great scale, the MyWeigh 3001T. You
can see its capabilities at http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html .
It comes in white (I don't recommend because of the 'rubber ridges' on top
and blue or green. I have the blue and I bougt it at
http://www.oldwillknott.com/3001tblu.html for $37.90 plus shipping. I
didn't get the 'VibraKill pad' and haven't regretted that decision. You can
bounce between grams, Kg & grams, oz and lbs & oz at the push of a button.
It weighs up to 3 Kg (6.6 Lbs). They have the 6001 model that weighs up to 6
Kg (13.2Lbs) for $44.90.

Dee Randall

Thanks for answering.
I went to the site you mentioned and see this in their specifications:

HOLD, TARE, LB/KG/G/OZ & Count functions

I don't know what Tare means, but I'm wondering if anyone might know if one
of these functions on this 3001 might mean that you can "go back to zero,
then add on your next weight"?

It does say also that you can switch back and forth between oz. & lbs., and
you say that you can bounce between oz, grams, which I assume that means
while you are working on ONE recipe with several ingredients you can switch
back and forth?.

These "little things mean a lot."

Thanks so much.
dee

"SCUBApix" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok)

for
> > price of between $40-50 that they would recommend? I see a lot on the
> > internet, but I wouldn't know where to start in consideration for
> > purchasing.
> >
> > I'm using a Braun with those little lines and you have to circle/swivel
> > around to find ounces or grams. It's getting to be a headache.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dee

> Let me put my $0.02 in here. I have a great scale, the MyWeigh 3001T. You
> can see its capabilities at http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html

..
> It comes in white (I don't recommend because of the 'rubber ridges' on top
> and blue or green. I have the blue and I bougt it at
> http://www.oldwillknott.com/3001tblu.html for $37.90 plus shipping. I
> didn't get the 'VibraKill pad' and haven't regretted that decision. You

can
> bounce between grams, Kg & grams, oz and lbs & oz at the push of a button.
> It weighs up to 3 Kg (6.6 Lbs). They have the 6001 model that weighs up to

6
> Kg (13.2Lbs) for $44.90.

SCUBApix

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Thanks for answering.
> I went to the site you mentioned and see this in their specifications:
>
> HOLD, TARE, LB/KG/G/OZ & Count functions
>
> I don't know what Tare means, but I'm wondering if anyone might know if

one
> of these functions on this 3001 might mean that you can "go back to zero,
> then add on your next weight"?

This is exactly what 'tare' means. Put a container on the scale either at
the start (before turning on the scale) or after it's on. In the latter
case, hit the tare button and the reading goes to zero. Now add your first
ingredient until you have the right amount and hit tare. It's back at zero.
Add your next ingredient, hit tare, etc. The only restriction (and this is
true of all scales with the tare function) is that you can't go beyond the
scale's max capability. That is, if the max capability is 3 Kg, just because
you hit tare, the scale still is measuring the actual weight. So if you have
2 Kg on the scale, hit tare, you can only add a max of 1 more Kg, not 3 more
Kg.

And it also is accurate to 0.1 oz and reads in that increment.

> It does say also that you can switch back and forth between oz. & lbs.,

and
> you say that you can bounce between oz, grams, which I assume that means
> while you are working on ONE recipe with several ingredients you can

switch
> back and forth?.

I'll be honest, I've never tried to swithch in the middle of a weighing
session using the tare function. I have used both the grams and Lbs/oz but
not switching between them using the tare function. I don't see why it
wouldn't work since I have switched when having something on the scale just
to see the weight in both metric and US units. So if you hit tare and then
the units button, you should be Ok. But I haven't actually done it. If it's
important to you, I'' give it a try tonight. Just let me know.

> These "little things mean a lot."
>
> Thanks so much.
> dee
>

> "SCUBApix" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > > Has anyone recently bought a digital kitchen food scale (5 lbs. is ok)

> for
> > > price of between $40-50 that they would recommend? I see a lot on the
> > > internet, but I wouldn't know where to start in consideration for
> > > purchasing.
> > >
> > > I'm using a Braun with those little lines and you have to

circle/swivel
> > > around to find ounces or grams. It's getting to be a headache.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dee

> > Let me put my $0.02 in here. I have a great scale, the MyWeigh 3001T.

You
> > can see its capabilities at

http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html
> .
> > It comes in white (I don't recommend because of the 'rubber ridges' on

top
> > and blue or green. I have the blue and I bougt it at
> > http://www.oldwillknott.com/3001tblu.html for $37.90 plus shipping. I
> > didn't get the 'VibraKill pad' and haven't regretted that decision. You

> can
> > bounce between grams, Kg & grams, oz and lbs & oz at the push of a

button.
> > It weighs up to 3 Kg (6.6 Lbs). They have the 6001 model that weighs up

> 6
> > Kg (13.2Lbs) for $44.90.

LIMEYNO1

You bet!

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message

> "LIMEYNO1" wrote about measuring cups:
>
> > Perhaps they are distributed different where you are than here. I
> > definitely have 3/4 cup may be wrong about 2/3. But they do exsist

because
> > have one or two although I can't remember if they are tupperware or not.

> King Arthur sells 3/4-cup and 2/3-cup measures. Stainless steel, I

believe.
> Very handy.
>
> Felice

Dee Randall

Thanks for your great answer.
Let me know at your own pace -- no hurry. I might not be checking in for a
few days.
Happy Thanksgiving to you.
dee

"SCUBApix" > wrote in message

> [...]

the

> circle/swivel

> > > Let me put my $0.02 in here. I have a great scale, the MyWeigh 3001T.

> You
> > > can see its capabilities at

> http://www.myweigh.com/mediumscales_3001.html
> > .
> > > It comes in white (I don't recommend because of the 'rubber ridges' on

> top
> > > and blue or green. I have the blue and I bougt it at
> > > http://www.oldwillknott.com/3001tblu.html for $37.90 plus shipping. I
> > > didn't get the 'VibraKill pad' and haven't regretted that decision.

You
> > can
> > > bounce between grams, Kg & grams, oz and lbs & oz at the push of a

> button.
> > > It weighs up to 3 Kg (6.6 Lbs). They have the 6001 model that weighs

Pennyaline

"Felice Friese" wrote:
> "LIMEYNO1" wrote about measuring cups:
>
> > Perhaps they are distributed different where you are than here. I
> > definitely have 3/4 cup may be wrong about 2/3. But they do exsist

because
> > have one or two although I can't remember if they are tupperware or not.

> King Arthur sells 3/4-cup and 2/3-cup measures. Stainless steel, I

believe.
> Very handy.

Very cool, and it would be exceptionally handy at times! I'll have to check
it out!

Eric Jorgensen

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:51:39 -0700
"Pennyaline" > wrote:

> "LIMEYNO1" wrote:
> > There are 2 types of measuring cups, dry and wet. Usually wet are
> > glass

> or
> > plastic you can see through and you don't fill them right to the top
> > but

> > a line. Dry measure usually come in sets of 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup, 2/3
> > cup,

> 1/2
> > cup, 3/4 cup and 1 cup and you fill and level at the rim. This is
> > how the tupperware set of dry measure works.

> My first set of dry measure cups was from Tupperware ("Daffodil," in
> fact), and I don't remember having separate 2/3 and 3/4 cup units. No
> set I've had since has had them, either. 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 cup units
> are standard for these sets.

I grew up with one and then another set of Tupperware dry measuring
cups that came with the 2/3rd and 3/4ths cups. Currently using another
set of the same style, scavenged from thrift stores. Annoys me that
2/3rds isn't standard anymore. I always used it as much as the others.

Boron Elgar

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:11:25 -0700, "Pennyaline"
> wrote:

>"Felice Friese" wrote:
>> "LIMEYNO1" wrote about measuring cups:
>>
>> > Perhaps they are distributed different where you are than here. I
>> > definitely have 3/4 cup may be wrong about 2/3. But they do exsist

>because
>> > have one or two although I can't remember if they are tupperware or not.

>> King Arthur sells 3/4-cup and 2/3-cup measures. Stainless steel, I

>believe.
>> Very handy.

>Very cool, and it would be exceptionally handy at times! I'll have to check
>it out!

I have the 3/4 & 2/3 and I also have a 1-1/2 cup that I use a lot when
making bread.

I also have a kitchen drawer like Fibber McGee's closet.

Boron

Wayne Boatwright

"Felice Friese" > wrote in

> "LIMEYNO1" wrote about measuring cups:
>
>> Perhaps they are distributed different where you are than here. I
>> definitely have 3/4 cup may be wrong about 2/3. But they do exsist
>> because

>> have one or two although I can't remember if they are tupperware or
>> not.

> King Arthur sells 3/4-cup and 2/3-cup measures. Stainless steel, I
> believe. Very handy.
>
> Felice

Tupperware definitely makes them. My set consists of 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3,
3/4, and 1 cup. Actually, I have two sets like this. They're very handly.

Wayne
SCUBApix

I checked and yes, after adding something to weigh in Lb/oz mode, I hit tare
and then hit the button to switch to Kg/grams and added another item to
weigh and it weighed it in Kg/grams.

> [...]

means
> > > while you are working on ONE recipe with several ingredients you can

> > switch
> > > back and forth?.
> > >

> > I'll be honest, I've never tried to swithch in the middle of a weighing
> > session using the tare function. I have used both the grams and Lbs/oz

but
> > not switching between them using the tare function. I don't see why it
> > wouldn't work since I have switched when having something on the scale

> just
> > to see the weight in both metric and US units. So if you hit tare and

then
> > the units button, you should be Ok. But I haven't actually done it. If

> it's
> > important to you, I'' give it a try tonight. Just let me know.

Kim Grauballe

"SCUBApix" > wrote in message
>snip<
> Add your next ingredient, hit tare, etc. The only restriction (and this is
> true of all scales with the tare function) is that you can't go beyond the
> scale's max capability. That is, if the max capability is 3 Kg, just

because
> you hit tare, the scale still is measuring the actual weight. So if you

have
> 2 Kg on the scale, hit tare, you can only add a max of 1 more Kg, not 3

more
> Kg.

Not quite, I've got nifty little item from OBH (only sold in the nordic
countries, I think ), going up to 5 kg, and if I put about 5 Kg on it, and
hit tare, it happily continues up to the next 5 Kg. I've actually weighed up
to nearly 15 Kg on it ( dont dare to try going higher ).
Kim