Posted to rec.food.baking

Default White Loaf bread

I saw the baker, Craig Kominiak, make this bread on Julia Childs TV show.
So I doubt any copyright applies.
He is the contributor to Julia's 'Baking with Julia' book (p.81), where this
recipe exists.

This is bread (makes 2 loaves) like my mother used to make. There is
no overnight refrigeration of the dough. It's about a 3 hour process. It
worked the devil out of my Kitchenaide mixer, but it made a really good
bread. I really enjoyed making this bread, almost as much as devouring it.

Basically:
7 cups unbleached white flour (approx).
1 TBS each, active dry yeast,
salt,
sugar.
2 oz unsalted soft butter (1/2 stick).
3.5 cups warm water.

standard bread making...
yeast is activated in 1/2 C warm water with the sugar, 5 mins.
3 cups flour go into the mixer on top of the yeast mixture (all 3.5 cups
water).
salt and remaining flour go in after mixer controls the first part.
The soft butter is added towards the end of the mixing, and the dough may
come apart, but it goes back together.
Let it rise, deflate it, divide in two and form loaves, proof in buttered
pans, and bake 35-45 minutes @ 375 preheated.
.. . . .Only mistake I made was I fell asleep while waiting for the loaves to
cool so I could sample them. When I awoke they had totally cooled. I had
to nuke a few buttered slices to re-warm them...great.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:47:01 -0700, "pintlar"
> wrote:

>Only mistake I made was I fell asleep while waiting for the loaves to
>cool so I could sample them. When I awoke they had totally cooled. I had
>to nuke a few buttered slices to re-warm them...great.

Howdy,

Actually, that "mistake" worked to your advantage.

In France, it is not legal to sell bread while it is still
warm from the oven.

That is rooted in a taste issue.

When a bread is warm from the bake, it still has in it all
sorts of byproducts of fermentation that will give it subtle
off tastes.

As it cools, those materials evaporate. As a result, it will
have its best taste after it cools, and is then re-warmed.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

One big loaf of Italian bread Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 14 27-12-2012 07:39 AM
Oat date nut bread machine bread - 1 1/2 lb loaf George Shirley General Cooking 2 05-04-2009 10:36 PM
NYT bread in a loaf pan serene Baking 2 22-01-2007 06:00 PM
NYT bread in a loaf pan serene General Cooking 2 21-01-2007 02:25 PM