Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Focaccia bakers

I just did the Focaccia recipe from Julia Childs book, 'Baking w/ Julia'.
p.143.

.. . . .just wondering if anyone else here tried it...???????

It called for 2 TBS of active dry yeast.
I messed up and only used one 1/4 ounce packet 'Fleischmans dry active
yeast'.
It went through both rises very heartily. Plenty of fermentation. I would
be afraid of using 2 TBS.
It may not have had as much bubble bursting (according to the recipe) during
the 'press downs', but there was some. The dough looked, acted, and felt
great. In fact it more than doubled in size in the specified time periods.
A real nice dough. It really worked the devil out of my Kitchenaide mixer
(6.5 cups flour). I don't have the biggest model and had to lower the bowl
a few times to assist the machine. It really toiled. It is one powerful
beast. I had to add an additional 4 TBS of warm water. But I ended up with
dough that pulled into a nice window.
Right now it is in the 24-36 hour refrigerator stage. Hoping to be chomping
on some nice flat bread tomorrow.
.. . . If I can get the butter off my fingers tomorrow, I'll update youse.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 9:22*am, "pintlar" > wrote:
> I just did the Focaccia recipe from Julia Childs book, 'Baking w/ Julia'.
> p.143.
>
> . . . .just wondering if anyone else here tried it...???????
>
> It called for 2 TBS of active dry yeast.
> I messed up and only used one 1/4 ounce packet 'Fleischmans dry active
> yeast'.
> It went through both rises very heartily. *Plenty of fermentation. *I would
> be afraid of using 2 TBS.
> It may not have had as much bubble bursting (according to the recipe) during
> the 'press downs', *but there was some. *The dough looked, acted, and felt
> great. In fact it more than doubled in size in the specified time periods..
> A real nice dough. *It really worked the devil out of my Kitchenaide mixer
> (6.5 cups flour). *I don't have the biggest model and had to lower the bowl
> a few times to assist the machine. *It really toiled. *It is one powerful
> beast. *I had to add an additional 4 TBS of warm water. *But I ended up with
> dough that pulled into a nice window.
> Right now it is in the 24-36 hour refrigerator stage. *Hoping to be chomping
> on some nice flat bread tomorrow.
> . . . If I can get the butter off my fingers tomorrow, I'll update youse.

Good luck! What will you put on it?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:22:43 -0700, "pintlar"
> wrote:

>I just did the Focaccia recipe from Julia Childs book, 'Baking w/ Julia'.
>p.143.
>
>. . . .just wondering if anyone else here tried it...???????
>
>It called for 2 TBS of active dry yeast.
>I messed up and only used one 1/4 ounce packet 'Fleischmans dry active
>yeast'.
>It went through both rises very heartily. Plenty of fermentation. I would
>be afraid of using 2 TBS.
>It may not have had as much bubble bursting (according to the recipe) during
>the 'press downs', but there was some. The dough looked, acted, and felt
>great. In fact it more than doubled in size in the specified time periods.
>A real nice dough. It really worked the devil out of my Kitchenaide mixer
>(6.5 cups flour). I don't have the biggest model and had to lower the bowl
>a few times to assist the machine. It really toiled. It is one powerful
>beast. I had to add an additional 4 TBS of warm water. But I ended up with
>dough that pulled into a nice window.
>Right now it is in the 24-36 hour refrigerator stage. Hoping to be chomping
>on some nice flat bread tomorrow.
>. . . If I can get the butter off my fingers tomorrow, I'll update youse.

Howdy,

Shortly after the yeast is moistened and provided some
nutrition, it starts to multiply.

As a result, (within a large range) there is little need to
be precise about the amount of yeast at the outset.

Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.

I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
the tastes more complex.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 2:23*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:22:43 -0700, "pintlar"
>

> > wrote:
>
> >I just did the Focaccia recipe from Julia Childs book, 'Baking w/ Julia'..
> >p.143.

> >. . . .just wondering if anyone else here tried it...???????

> >It called for 2 TBS of active dry yeast.
> >I messed up and only used one 1/4 ounce packet 'Fleischmans dry active
> >yeast'.
> >It went through both rises very heartily. *Plenty of fermentation. *I would
> >be afraid of using 2 TBS.
> >It may not have had as much bubble bursting (according to the recipe) during
> >the 'press downs', *but there was some. *The dough looked, acted, and felt
> >great. In fact it more than doubled in size in the specified time periods.
> >A real nice dough. *It really worked the devil out of my Kitchenaide mixer
> >(6.5 cups flour). *I don't have the biggest model and had to lower the bowl
> >a few times to assist the machine. *It really toiled. *It is one powerful
> >beast. *I had to add an additional 4 TBS of warm water. *But I ended up with
> >dough that pulled into a nice window.
> >Right now it is in the 24-36 hour refrigerator stage. *Hoping to be chomping
> >on some nice flat bread tomorrow.
> >. . . If I can get the butter off my fingers tomorrow, I'll update youse..

> Howdy,
>
> Shortly after the yeast is moistened and provided some
> nutrition, it starts to multiply.
>
> As a result, (within a large range) there is little need to
> be precise about the amount of yeast at the outset.
>
> Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
> is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.
>
> I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
> fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
> the tastes more complex.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

Have you made the no knead bread with starter?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:26:27 -0800 (PST), Merryb
> wrote:

>On Nov 13, 2:23*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:22:43 -0700, "pintlar"
>>

>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I just did the Focaccia recipe from Julia Childs book, 'Baking w/ Julia'.
>> >p.143.

>> >. . . .just wondering if anyone else here tried it...???????

>> >It called for 2 TBS of active dry yeast.
>> >I messed up and only used one 1/4 ounce packet 'Fleischmans dry active
>> >yeast'.
>> >It went through both rises very heartily. *Plenty of fermentation. *I would
>> >be afraid of using 2 TBS.
>> >It may not have had as much bubble bursting (according to the recipe) during
>> >the 'press downs', *but there was some. *The dough looked, acted, and felt
>> >great. In fact it more than doubled in size in the specified time periods.
>> >A real nice dough. *It really worked the devil out of my Kitchenaide mixer
>> >(6.5 cups flour). *I don't have the biggest model and had to lower the bowl
>> >a few times to assist the machine. *It really toiled. *It is one powerful
>> >beast. *I had to add an additional 4 TBS of warm water. *But I ended up with
>> >dough that pulled into a nice window.
>> >Right now it is in the 24-36 hour refrigerator stage. *Hoping to be chomping
>> >on some nice flat bread tomorrow.
>> >. . . If I can get the butter off my fingers tomorrow, I'll update youse.

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Shortly after the yeast is moistened and provided some
>> nutrition, it starts to multiply.
>>
>> As a result, (within a large range) there is little need to
>> be precise about the amount of yeast at the outset.
>>
>> Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
>> is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.
>>
>> I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
>> fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
>> the tastes more complex.
>>
>> All the best,
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

>Have you made the no knead bread with starter?

Hi again,

I am not sure what you mean by "the no knead bread" because
that makes it sound as if there is only one, but...

I have made many sourdough breads (of many different types)
without kneading, and have been doing that for about twenty
years.

When I want a bread with a very coarse crumb (big holes) I
do no kneading.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking

I just did the Focaccia recipe from Julia Childs book, 'Baking w/ Julia'.
p.143.

.. . . .just wondering if anyone else here tried it...???????

> Howdy,
>
> Shortly after the yeast is moistened and provided some
> nutrition, it starts to multiply.
>
> As a result, (within a large range) there is little need to
> be precise about the amount of yeast at the outset.
>
> Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
> is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.
>
> I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
> fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
> the tastes more complex.

*******************
Julia's book calls for coating the bread with infused or natural olive oil,
thyme or rosemary (chopped) and coarse sea salt. I'm low salt type so I
may go with the above, minus the salt and plus caraway seeds. Maybe even
some cracked pepper when it comes out of the oven...
Using so little yeast makes me wonder. I did have good heat for the
rise's. (73 d F). First time I had dough more than double. And even a
little early. I proofed the yeast at 93 d F.
.. . . . .I have never done the 'no knead' bread. I haven't baked in a few
years, and now with winter here, it doesn't hurt to heat the house with the
oven. So I'm going to get after it. It sure is a 'long time' recipe.
.. . . .I lost my sour dough culture during a divorce...also lost my Chinese
Master Sauce goo.
charlie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:23:16 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
>is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.
>
>I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
>fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
>the tastes more complex.

I found this on Cook's Illustrated...another variation on the no knead
bread. This is the recipe that I am using now. The beer and
vinegar does add more flavor.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

No Knead Bread 2.0

breads

15 oz flour
1 1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts instant yeast
3 oz beer
1 tb vinegar
7 oz water

Combine all ingredients in large bowl mixing to blend with spatula.

Let dough rise for 8 to 15 hours, covered.

After rising, knead 10 to 15 times and form into a ball, seam side
down.
Place on Pam sprayed parchment paper and place in 10 inch skillet.
Spray
top with Pam and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two
hours.

Thirty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 500 F. and add Dutch
oven to
preheat also.

Sprinkle top of loaf with flour and make six inch slash in top of
dough.

Remove Dutch oven from oven and remove lid. Place bread in Dutch oven
using
the parchment paper as a sling. Replace lid and return to oven. Lower
temperature to 425F and bake for 30 minutes.

Remove lid and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes or until internal
temperature is 210 F.

Notes: Cook's Illustrated

Yield: 1 loaf

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 5:16*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:26:27 -0800 (PST), Merryb
>

> > wrote:
> >On Nov 13, 2:23*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> >> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:22:43 -0700, "pintlar"

> >> Howdy,

> >> Shortly after the yeast is moistened and provided some
> >> nutrition, it starts to multiply.

> >> As a result, (within a large range) there is little need to
> >> be precise about the amount of yeast at the outset.

> >> Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
> >> is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.

> >> I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
> >> fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
> >> the tastes more complex.

> >> All the best,
> >> --
> >> Kenneth

> >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

> >Have you made the no knead bread with starter?

> Hi again,
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "the no knead bread" because
> that makes it sound as if there is only one, but...
>
> I have made many sourdough breads (of many different types)
> without kneading, and have been doing that for about twenty
> years.
>
> When I want a bread with a very coarse crumb (big holes) I
> do no kneading.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

The no knead method is new to me! But the recipe I'm using has a fine
crumb;

2 TBS yeast
2 TBS salt
3 c. water
6.5 c. flour

I need to wake up my starter and try to use it instead of commercial
yeast. But I was taught to develop the gluten by kneading, so this is
surprising to me that you don't end up with a hockey puck by not
kneading!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 14, 6:00*am, Mr. Bill > wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:23:16 -0500, Kenneth
>
> > wrote:
> >Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
> >is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.

> >I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
> >fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
> >the tastes more complex.

> I found this on Cook's Illustrated...another variation on the no knead
> bread. * *This is the recipe that I am using now. * *The beer and
> vinegar does add more flavor. *
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> No Knead Bread 2.0
>
> breads
>
> 15 oz flour
> 1 1/2 ts salt
> 1/4 ts instant yeast
> 3 oz beer
> 1 tb vinegar
> 7 oz water
>
> Combine all ingredients in large bowl mixing to blend with spatula.
>
> Let dough rise for 8 to 15 hours, covered.
>
> After rising, knead 10 to 15 times and form into a ball, seam side
> down.
> Place on Pam sprayed parchment paper and place in 10 inch skillet.
> Spray
> top with Pam and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two
> hours.
>
> Thirty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 500 F. and add Dutch
> oven to
> preheat also.
>
> Sprinkle top of loaf with flour and make six inch slash in top of
> dough.
>
> Remove Dutch oven from oven and remove lid. Place bread in Dutch oven
> using
> the parchment paper as *a sling. Replace lid and return to oven. Lower
> temperature to 425F and bake for 30 minutes.
>
> Remove lid and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes or until internal
> temperature is 210 F.
>
> Notes: *Cook's Illustrated
>
> Yield: 1 loaf
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **

Thanks for the formula- what kind of beer do you use- Bud Light or
Guiness? LOL!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:00:41 -0500, Mr. Bill
> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:23:16 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:
>
>>Less yeast will mean a slower initial fermentation, and that
>>is likely to improve the taste of the resulting bread.
>>
>>I do my focaccia with a sourdough culture. Its rate of
>>fermentation is far slower than that of commercial yeast and
>>the tastes more complex.

>I found this on Cook's Illustrated...another variation on the no knead
>bread. This is the recipe that I am using now. The beer and
>vinegar does add more flavor.
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>No Knead Bread 2.0
>
>breads
>
>15 oz flour
>1 1/2 ts salt
>1/4 ts instant yeast
>3 oz beer
>1 tb vinegar
>7 oz water
>
>Combine all ingredients in large bowl mixing to blend with spatula.
>
>Let dough rise for 8 to 15 hours, covered.
>
>After rising, knead 10 to 15 times and form into a ball, seam side
>down.
>Place on Pam sprayed parchment paper and place in 10 inch skillet.
>Spray
>top with Pam and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for two
>hours.
>
>Thirty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 500 F. and add Dutch
>oven to
>preheat also.
>
>Sprinkle top of loaf with flour and make six inch slash in top of
>dough.
>
>Remove Dutch oven from oven and remove lid. Place bread in Dutch oven
>using
>the parchment paper as a sling. Replace lid and return to oven. Lower
>temperature to 425F and bake for 30 minutes.
>
>Remove lid and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes or until internal
>temperature is 210 F.
>
>Notes: Cook's Illustrated
>
>Yield: 1 loaf
>

>** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.84 **

Howdy,

Gluten can be developed three ways:

1: Chemically - (check the label of a supermarket loaf of
white bread for more information on this method).

2: Mechanically - (kneading)

3: Hydration alone (that is, mix the stuff together, and
then simply w-a-i-t.)

That last one is so very simple that it is really worth a
try, but there are a few things to remember:

When the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together, just be
sure that they are mixed well enough that there are no
"pockets" of dry flour.

Next, it will take on the order of 24 hours for the gluten
to fully develop. But if the mixture is left at room
temperature for all that time, it will over-ferment.

The growth of the yeast most be slowed, and the best way to
do that is to cool the mixture.

So, mix the ingredients together, put it in a covered
container, and put it in the fridge. After 24 hours, take it
out, allow it to slowly warm, watch the extent of its growth
in volume, and when it has expanded enough, form loaves, let
rise for the final time, and bake.

The method I have outlined can be used for any bread using
wheat flour. There is no (meaningful) "no knead" recipe.

I do find it funny that every few years someone writes a
book or an article about "no knead" bread baking as if there
were something new about it. It becomes the rage for a
while, and then seems to fade.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 14, 9:08*am, Kenneth > wrote:
> [...]

> The growth of the yeast most be slowed, and the best way to
> do that is to cool the mixture.
>
> So, mix the ingredients together, put it in a covered
> container, and put it in the fridge. After 24 hours, take it
> out, allow it to slowly warm, watch the extent of its growth
> in volume, and when it has expanded enough, form loaves, let
> rise for the final time, and bake.
>
> The method I have outlined can be used for any bread using
> wheat flour. There is no (meaningful) "no knead" recipe.
>
> I do find it funny that every few years someone writes a
> book or an article about "no knead" bread baking as if there
> were something new about it. It becomes the rage for a
> while, and then seems to fade.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

Funny- I went to Culinary school, and this method was NEVER mentioned-
WTF is up with that? I'm going to try your method- I'll bet it has a
lot more flavor...I've been letting it rise at room temp for about 3-4
hours...Thanks for your input!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:29:34 -0800 (PST), Merryb
> wrote:

>Funny- I went to Culinary school, and this method was NEVER mentioned-
>WTF is up with that? I'm going to try your method- I'll bet it has a
>lot more flavor...I've been letting it rise at room temp for about 3-4
>hours...Thanks for your input!

Hi again,

I have been telling folks for years that making good bread
is a lot like making good wine.

We know that it is possible to ferment grape juice quickly,
but few would call the result "wine."

Similarly for bread...

If we slow the fermentation, the resulting bread will have
more flavor.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Focaccia Success

Just finished cooling the 3 loaves and the first one I tasted was great. It
has to be a great recipe as I am a very amateur baker.
.. . .I substitued the Caraway seeds for the coarse sea salt and used dry
chopped Thyme for the toppings. I am going to dust the loaves (they get
painted again with olive oil after cooking) with cracked pepper.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 14, 4:14*pm, "pintlar" > wrote:
> Just finished cooling the 3 loaves and the first one I tasted was great. *It
> has to be a great recipe as I am a very amateur baker.
> . . .I substitued the Caraway seeds for the coarse sea salt and used dry
> chopped Thyme for the toppings. *I am going to dust the loaves (they get
> painted again with olive oil after cooking) with cracked pepper.

Congratulations on your success- enjoy in good health!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 14, 10:27*am, Kenneth >
wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:29:34 -0800 (PST), Merryb
>
> > wrote:
> >Funny- I went to Culinary school, and this method was NEVER mentioned-
> >WTF is up with that? I'm going to try your method- I'll bet it has a
> >lot more flavor...I've been letting it rise at room temp for about 3-4
> >hours...Thanks for your input!

> Hi again,
>
> I have been telling folks for years that making good bread
> is a lot like making good wine.
>
> We know that it is possible to ferment grape juice quickly,
> but few would call the result "wine."
>
> Similarly for bread...
>
> If we slow the fermentation, the resulting bread will have
> more flavor.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Hi!
I made bread this last weekend using my starter and the no knead
method. I stuck it in the fridge for about 30 hours, then shaped &
proofed it- WOW! Nice flavor, and I'm happy to report that my dormant
starter is still kicking! I am always amazed that it does as well as
it does after not being used for 4-6 months. I feed it & baby talk to
it for a few days, which seems to be what she needs to get moving
again. BTW, I named it Sheri after a wonderful woman I used to work
for- she died from a brain anurism (sp) cooking dinner on Thanksgiving
day 5 years ago She encouraged me to make this starter so we could
have good bread at work.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:26:21 -0800 (PST), Merryb
> wrote:

>On Nov 14, 10:27*am, Kenneth >
>wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:29:34 -0800 (PST), Merryb
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >Funny- I went to Culinary school, and this method was NEVER mentioned-
>> >WTF is up with that? I'm going to try your method- I'll bet it has a
>> >lot more flavor...I've been letting it rise at room temp for about 3-4
>> >hours...Thanks for your input!

>> Hi again,
>>
>> I have been telling folks for years that making good bread
>> is a lot like making good wine.
>>
>> We know that it is possible to ferment grape juice quickly,
>> but few would call the result "wine."
>>
>> Similarly for bread...
>>
>> If we slow the fermentation, the resulting bread will have
>> more flavor.
>>
>> All the best,
>> --
>> Kenneth
>>
>> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

>Hi!
> I made bread this last weekend using my starter and the no knead
>method. I stuck it in the fridge for about 30 hours, then shaped &
>proofed it- WOW! Nice flavor, and I'm happy to report that my dormant
>starter is still kicking! I am always amazed that it does as well as
>it does after not being used for 4-6 months. I feed it & baby talk to
>it for a few days, which seems to be what she needs to get moving
>again. BTW, I named it Sheri after a wonderful woman I used to work
>for- she died from a brain anurism (sp) cooking dinner on Thanksgiving
>day 5 years ago She encouraged me to make this starter so we could
>have good bread at work.

Hi again,

I'm pleased that you gave it a try, and it's great that your
first go was such a success.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 18, 1:44*pm, Kenneth > wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:26:21 -0800 (PST), Merryb
>

> > wrote:
> >On Nov 14, 10:27*am, Kenneth >
> >wrote:
> >> On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:29:34 -0800 (PST), Merryb

> >> Hi again,

> >> I have been telling folks for years that making good bread
> >> is a lot like making good wine.

> >> We know that it is possible to ferment grape juice quickly,
> >> but few would call the result "wine."

> >> Similarly for bread...

> >> If we slow the fermentation, the resulting bread will have
> >> more flavor.

> >> All the best,
> >> --
> >> Kenneth

> >> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

> >Hi!
> > I made bread this last weekend using my starter and the no knead
> >method. I stuck it in the fridge for about 30 hours, then shaped &
> >proofed it- WOW! Nice flavor, and I'm happy to report that my dormant
> >starter is still kicking! I am always amazed that it does as well as
> >it does after not being used for 4-6 months. I feed it & baby talk to
> >it for a few days, which seems to be what she needs to get moving
> >again. BTW, I named it Sheri after a wonderful woman I used to work
> >for- she died from a brain anurism (sp) cooking dinner on Thanksgiving
> >day 5 years ago *She encouraged me to make this starter so we could
> >have good bread at work.

> Hi again,
>
> I'm pleased that you gave it a try, and it's great that your
> first go was such a success.
>
> All the best,
> --
> Kenneth
>
> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

I'm pleased, too- attempt #2 will start tonight!
Experienced Member

I never tried Julia Child's but would like to. I just learned how to make focaccia bread by going to a local library program. Everything was free and we had so much fun. Nothing tops off a delicious Italian meal better than a steaming cup of gourmet coffee from https://konaluna.com so I know I'm getting the pure stuff. Pasta, sausage sauce, focaccia bread, cheesecake and Kona coffee are the ideal meal to me!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 18, 6:19 pm, Merryb > wrote:
> On Nov 18, 1:44 pm, Kenneth > wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:26:21 -0800 (PST), Merryb

> > > wrote:

> > >Hi!
> > > I made bread this last weekend using my starter and the no knead
> > >method. I stuck it in the fridge for about 30 hours, then shaped &
> > >proofed it- WOW! Nice flavor, and I'm happy to report that my dormant
> > >starter is still kicking! I am always amazed that it does as well as
> > >it does after not being used for 4-6 months. I feed it & baby talk to
> > >it for a few days, which seems to be what she needs to get moving
> > >again. BTW, I named it Sheri after a wonderful woman I used to work
> > >for- she died from a brain anurism (sp) cooking dinner on Thanksgiving
> > >day 5 years ago She encouraged me to make this starter so we could
> > >have good bread at work.

> > Hi again,

> > I'm pleased that you gave it a try, and it's great that your
> > first go was such a success.

> > All the best,
> > --
> > Kenneth

> > If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

> I'm pleased, too- attempt #2 will start tonight!

Hi, I haven't been around here for awhile.

Merryb, interesting that your culinary school didn't mention slowing
the fermentation by cooling the dough. Mine did, both in the Intro to
Baking and Artisan Bread classes. I'd be interested in knowing where
you went. I did my time at the Art Institutes of Minnesota school.
We did several slow ferments, called retarding the dough.

BTW, this looks like a good focaccia formula. I'll have to try it in
my wood-fired cookstove.

GBB
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 9, 8:50*pm, goodbreadbaker > wrote:
> On Nov 18, 6:19 pm, Merryb > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 18, 1:44 pm, Kenneth > wrote:

> > > On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 13:26:21 -0800 (PST), Merryb

> > > Hi again,

> > > I'm pleased that you gave it a try, and it's great that your
> > > first go was such a success.

> > > All the best,
> > > --
> > > Kenneth

> > > If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."- Hide quoted text -

> > I'm pleased, too- attempt #2 will start tonight!

> Hi, I haven't been around here for awhile.
>
> Merryb, interesting that your culinary school didn't mention slowing
> the fermentation by cooling the dough. *Mine did, both in the Intro to
> Baking and Artisan Bread classes. *I'd be interested in knowing where
> you went. *I did my time at the Art Institutes of Minnesota school.
> We did several slow ferments, called retarding the dough.
>
> BTW, this looks like a good focaccia formula. *I'll have to try it in
> my wood-fired cookstove.
>
> GBB- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I learded about that, it's the no knead method that was never
mentioned. I went to South Seattle Community College, BTW.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 10, 11:26 am, Merryb > wrote:
> On Dec 9, 8:50 pm, goodbreadbaker > wrote:

> > > I'm pleased, too- attempt #2 will start tonight!

> > Hi, I haven't been around here for awhile.

> > Merryb, interesting that your culinary school didn't mention slowing
> > the fermentation by cooling the dough. Mine did, both in the Intro to
> > Baking and Artisan Bread classes. I'd be interested in knowing where
> > you went. I did my time at the Art Institutes of Minnesota school.
> > We did several slow ferments, called retarding the dough.

> > BTW, this looks like a good focaccia formula. I'll have to try it in
> > my wood-fired cookstove.

> > GBB- Hide quoted text -

> Oh, I learded about that, it's the no knead method that was never
> mentioned. I went to South Seattle Community College, BTW.

Okay, My misunderstanding. Yeah, limited lab time makes it hard to go
into everything. But, part of life is continuing to learn new
things. Like me figuring out the wood cokstove oven. It is
definitely different.

GBB
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 10, 11:17*pm, goodbreadbaker > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 11:26 am, Merryb > wrote:

> > > Hi, I haven't been around here for awhile.

> > > Merryb, interesting that your culinary school didn't mention slowing
> > > the fermentation by cooling the dough. *Mine did, both in the Intro to
> > > Baking and Artisan Bread classes. *I'd be interested in knowing where
> > > you went. *I did my time at the Art Institutes of Minnesota school.
> > > We did several slow ferments, called retarding the dough.

> > > BTW, this looks like a good focaccia formula. *I'll have to try it in
> > > my wood-fired cookstove.

> > > GBB- Hide quoted text -

> > Oh, I learded about that, it's the no knead method that was never
> > mentioned. I went to South Seattle Community College, BTW.

> Okay, My misunderstanding. *Yeah, limited lab time makes it hard to go
> into everything. *But, part of life is continuing to learn new
> things. *Like me figuring out the wood cokstove oven. *It is
> definitely different.
>
> GBB- Hide quoted text -

That's something I derfinitely want to do- I ordered "The Bread
Builders" a year or so ago, but still haven't built one...are you
having fun with yours?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 11, 10:46 am, Merryb > wrote:
> On Dec 10, 11:17 pm, goodbreadbaker > wrote:

> > > Oh, I learded about that, it's the no knead method that was never
> > > mentioned. I went to South Seattle Community College, BTW.

> > Okay, My misunderstanding. Yeah, limited lab time makes it hard to go
> > into everything. But, part of life is continuing to learn new
> > things. Like me figuring out the wood cokstove oven. It is
> > definitely different.

> > GBB- Hide quoted text -

> That's something I derfinitely want to do- I ordered "The Bread
> Builders" a year or so ago, but still haven't built one...are you
> having fun with yours?

Oh, yes. Ours was a commercially built one. http://www.buffaloimport.com/stove.html
Ours is the cream colored one. It was made in 1999 and was given to
us before we moved to central Minnesota. Long story. You can see
pictures of our stove at my blog;
http://www.howto-bakebread.com/how-t...-wooden-loaves
.. I'm slowly getting the blog going, definitely not one of those two
posts per day types. I'm going to be doing some more bread next
week. Too much else going on this weekend.

GBB
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 11, 8:47*pm, goodbreadbaker > wrote:
> On Dec 11, 10:46 am, Merryb > wrote:

> > > Okay, My misunderstanding. *Yeah, limited lab time makes it hard to go
> > > into everything. *But, part of life is continuing to learn new
> > > things. *Like me figuring out the wood cokstove oven. *It is
> > > definitely different.

> > > GBB- Hide quoted text -

> > That's something I derfinitely want to do- I ordered "The Bread
> > Builders" a year or so ago, but still haven't built one...are you
> > having fun with yours?

> Oh, yes. *Ours was a commercially built one. *http://www.buffaloimport.com/stove.html
> Ours is the cream colored one. *It was made in 1999 and was given to
> us before we moved to central Minnesota. *Long story. *You can see
> pictures of our stove at my blog;http://www.howto-bakebread.com/how-t...-bake-bread-wo...
> . * I'm slowly getting the blog going, definitely not one of those two
> posts per day types. *I'm going to be doing some more bread next
> week. *Too much else going on this weekend.
>
> GBB- Hide quoted text -

Very cool! Bet it's not easy to use, but a lot more satisfying?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 12 2008, 10:39 am, Merryb > wrote:
> On Dec 11, 8:47 pm, goodbreadbaker > wrote:

> > > That's something I derfinitely want to do- I ordered "The Bread
> > > Builders" a year or so ago, but still haven't built one...are you
> > > having fun with yours?

> > Oh, yes. Ours was a commercially built one. http://www.buffaloimport.com/stove.html
> > Ours is the cream colored one. It was made in 1999 and was given to
> > us before we moved to central Minnesota. Long story. You can see
> > pictures of our stove at my blog;http://www.howto-bakebread.com/how-t...-bake-bread-wo...
> > . I'm slowly getting the blog going, definitely not one of those two
> > posts per day types. I'm going to be doing some more bread next
> > week. Too much else going on this weekend.

> > GBB- Hide quoted text -

> Very cool! Bet it's not easy to use, but a lot more satisfying?

Yes, it is quite neat, but not easy. I've been quite busy the last
couple of weeks. Looks like I may have a chance to try some more
bread in the wood stove Sunday or Monday. I think I'm going to try
that Fanny Farmer Water bread recipe.

I've also been thinking about either bagels or pretzels. We'll see.

GBB

question for the bakers sf[_9_] General Cooking 5 03-02-2014 04:07 AM
attn: TX bakers The Gare Baking 0 14-08-2010 01:36 AM
Bakers gum paste ilaboo General Cooking 0 18-05-2008 03:10 PM
New recipes for bakers WindyCityPrince General Cooking 0 04-12-2007 04:40 AM
Professional Bakers? Trevor J. Wilson Sourdough 31 23-10-2004 06:35 PM