Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Rich Cake - Temperature probe

Some years ago, my wife bought a Taylor thermometer with probe, for use with
the w/end roasts.

I'm aware that one of the best ways of testing when a rich fruit cake, is to
use a skewer. But even with the skewer, I'm finding that the cake can be
slightly over/under cooked.

I was wondering if the Taylor could be used to improve constancy in results?
If so, it raises a couple of questions :-

1. Is there an optimum internal temperature.
2. Would the internal temperature be relative to size. i.e. sponge cup-cake
versus wedding cake.
3. If yes to 1., would you switch off, or maintain temperature, until recipe
timeout. TIA

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 11, 6:26*am, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> Some years ago, my wife bought a Taylor thermometer with probe, for use with
> the w/end roasts.
>
> I'm aware that one of the best ways of testing when a rich fruit cake, is to
> use a skewer. But even with the skewer, I'm finding that the cake can be
> slightly over/under cooked.
>
> I was wondering if the Taylor could be used to improve constancy in results?
> If so, it raises a couple of questions :-
>
> 1. Is there an optimum internal temperature.
> 2. Would the internal temperature be relative to size. i.e. sponge cup-cake
> versus wedding cake.
> 3. If yes to 1., would you switch off, or maintain temperature, until recipe
> timeout. TIA
>
> Bertie

I know that bread is done at around 195F-200F- does that help? I'm not
a fruitcake fan, but I would think with the added density of the fruit
it may take longer to bake...
Posted to rec.food.baking

>"Merryb" > wrote in message

On Nov 11, 6:26 am, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

>> 1. Is there an optimum internal temperature.
>> 2. Would the internal temperature be relative to size. i.e. sponge
>> cup-cake
>> versus wedding cake.
>> 3. If yes to 1., would you switch off, or maintain temperature, until
>> recipe
>> timeout. TIA

>> Bertie

>I know that bread is done at around 195F-200F- does that help? I'm not
>a fruitcake fan, but I would think with the added density of the fruit
>it may take longer to bake...

Thanks for the info merry. The recipe for a 10" square tin, calls for 2hr
15min at 320F, but I have to adjust to 275F for fan.

I could set the alarm on the Taylor to sound at say, 185F (there's bound to
be overshoot) and then reduce the temperature setting and thus maybe hold
200F until the 2hr 15min are up. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. I
know it sounds a bit finicky, but if the thermometer gets me repeatable
results, I'll stick with it.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 11, 3:21*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> >"Merryb" > wrote in message

> On Nov 11, 6:26 am, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
>

> >> 1. Is there an optimum internal temperature.
> >> 2. Would the internal temperature be relative to size. i.e. sponge
> >> cup-cake
> >> versus wedding cake.
> >> 3. If yes to 1., would you switch off, or maintain temperature, until
> >> recipe
> >> timeout. TIA

> >> Bertie

> >I know that bread is done at around 195F-200F- does that help? I'm not
> >a fruitcake fan, but I would think with the added density of the fruit
> >it may take longer to bake...

> Thanks for the info merry. The recipe for a 10" square tin, calls for 2hr
> 15min at 320F, but I have to adjust to 275F for fan.
>
> I could set the alarm on the Taylor to sound at say, 185F (there's bound to
> be overshoot) and then reduce the temperature setting and thus maybe hold
> 200F until the 2hr 15min are up. I'll try it tomorrow and report back. I
> know it sounds a bit finicky, but if the thermometer gets me repeatable
> results, I'll stick with it.
>
> Bertie

Whatever works! Do you have an exceptional recipe? I'd like to hear
the results of your test, if you don't mind- good luck!
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in messageOn Nov 11, 3:21 pm, "Bertie Doe wrote:
> On Nov 11, 6:26 am, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
> >> 1. Is there an optimum internal temperature.
> >> 2. Would the internal temperature be relative to size. i.e. sponge
> >> cup-cake
> >> versus wedding cake.
> >> 3. If yes to 1., would you switch off, or maintain temperature, until
> >> recipe
> >> timeout. TIA

> >> Bertie

> >I know that bread is done at around 195F-200F- does that help? I'm >not
> >a fruitcake fan, but I would think with the added density of the fruit
> >it may take longer to bake...

>Whatever works! Do you have an exceptional recipe? I'd like to hear
>the results of your test, if you don't mind- good luck!

Thanks Merryb it really worked and the cake was well cooked and moist.
The recipe is for a Dundee Fruit Cake. The original recipe calls for 4oz of
whole blanched almonds to decorate the top and 2oz of chopped blanched
almonds, to add to the fruit (I didn't bother). It suggests 4oz of glaced
cherries, I used dates this time.
The following temperatures are for fan oven.I set the oven temp at 275F/135C
and set the internal target temp at 200F/93C as you suggested. It beeped me
after 40mins, when it reached 200F, I turned the oven down to 250F/120C and
for the remaining 1hr 20mins, it more or less, held 217F internally. I
covered the cake with foil, for the last 30mins. Total bake time 2 hours.
Method :

Blend 250g butter and 250g soft brown sugar together (I used white sugar)
Beat in 5 eggs.
Mix in 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, half tsp each of ground cloves,
and grated nutmeg, into 315g of AP Flour. Add flour and spices to mix.
Empty the above into a bowl and mix in : 225g sultanas, 175g raisins, 175g
glace cherries (or dates), 115g of chopped, mixed peel.
2 tbsp brandy (optional).
Place in a greased or lined 9" square cake-tin (or equivalent round) and
bake as above. The slice looks a bit crumbly, in the following pics, as I
cut it when the cake was still quite warm. Once again, thanks for those
internal temps figures.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=2f72c542.pbw

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 12, 3:16*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> > >I know that bread is done at around 195F-200F- does that help? I'm >not
> > >a fruitcake fan, but I would think with the added density of the fruit
> > >it may take longer to bake...

> >Whatever works! Do you have an exceptional recipe? I'd like to hear
> >the results of your test, if you don't mind- good luck!

> Thanks Merryb it really worked and the cake was well cooked and moist.
> The recipe is for a Dundee Fruit Cake. The original recipe calls for 4oz of
> whole blanched almonds to decorate the top and 2oz of chopped blanched
> almonds, to add to the fruit (I didn't bother). It suggests 4oz of glaced
> cherries, I used dates this time.
> The following temperatures are for fan oven.I set the oven temp at 275F/135C
> and set the internal target temp at 200F/93C as you suggested. It beeped me
> after 40mins, when it reached 200F, I turned the oven down to 250F/120C and
> for the remaining 1hr 20mins, it more or less, held 217F internally. I
> covered the cake with foil, for the last 30mins. Total bake time 2 hours.
> Method :
>
> Blend 250g butter and 250g soft brown sugar together (I used white sugar)
> Beat in 5 eggs.
> Mix in 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, half tsp each of ground cloves,
> and grated nutmeg, into 315g of AP Flour. Add flour and spices to mix.
> Empty the above into a bowl and mix in : 225g sultanas, 175g raisins, 175g
> glace cherries (or dates), 115g of chopped, mixed peel.
> 2 tbsp brandy (optional).
> Place in a greased or lined 9" square cake-tin (or equivalent round) and
> bake as above. The slice looks a bit crumbly, in the following pics, as I
> cut it when the cake was still quite warm. Once again, thanks for those
> internal temps figures.http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ion=view&curre...
>
> Bertie- Hide quoted text -

I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in message

>I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
>slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
>is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...

Hah, I ran out of brandy on New Years Eve, the bottle only lasted a week and
I haven't bought any since. I substituted with 3 tbsp of port.

None of the fruit were soaked. It's the cheap supermarket branded stuff,
which is fairly sticky.

I'll make another one of these fruit cakes next week and leave it in the tin
for a month. My wife will then cover it about quarter inch of marzipan and
frosted icing. She'll add 1 tspn of gelatine, to soften the icing. This will
be our traditional Xmas cake treat and will last about 1 week - Must
remember to add brandy to the w/end shopping list - for cake and medicinal
purposes :-)

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 12, 4:41*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" *wrote in message
> >I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
> >slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
> >is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...

> Hah, I ran out of brandy on New Years Eve, the bottle only lasted a week and
> I haven't bought any since. I substituted with 3 tbsp of port.
>
> None of the fruit were soaked. It's the cheap supermarket branded stuff,
> which is fairly sticky.
>
> I'll make another one of these fruit cakes next week and leave it in the tin
> for a month. My wife will then cover it about quarter inch of marzipan and
> frosted icing. She'll add 1 tspn of gelatine, to soften the icing. This will
> be our traditional Xmas cake treat and will last about 1 week - Must
> remember to add brandy to the w/end shopping list - for cake and medicinal
> purposes :-)
>
> Bertie

So, you are in the UK? I'm only guessing because of your measurments,
and also using marzipan is something that sounds a bit more cultured
than what is done in the US!! I'm interested in your use of port as
oppossed to brandy or whiskey- did it lend a "winey" flavor?
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" > wrote in message
On Nov 12, 4:41 pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" wrote in message
> >I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
> >slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
> >is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...

> Hah, I ran out of brandy on New Years Eve, the bottle only lasted a week
> and
> I haven't bought any since. I substituted with 3 tbsp of port.
>
> None of the fruit were soaked. It's the cheap supermarket branded stuff,
> which is fairly sticky.
>
> I'll make another one of these fruit cakes next week and leave it in the
> tin
> for a month. My wife will then cover it about quarter inch of marzipan and
> frosted icing. She'll add 1 tspn of gelatine, to soften the icing. This
> will
> be our traditional Xmas cake treat and will last about 1 week - Must
> remember to add brandy to the w/end shopping list - for cake and medicinal
> purposes :-)
>
> Bertie

So, you are in the UK? I'm only guessing because of your measurments,
and also using marzipan is something that sounds a bit more cultured
than what is done in the US!! I'm interested in your use of port as
oppossed to brandy or whiskey- did it lend a "winey" flavor?

Port and sherry is a popular additive to rich fruit cake as an alternative
to brandy, it's down to taste rather than cost, as the quantities are quite
small.

Marzipan is popular in the uk, you can buy it ready-made, in sheets from the
s/mkt or make your own from ground almonds and sugar. In addition to Xmas
cake, it's also used in wedding cakes i.e. rich fruit cake, marzipan and
then overlaid with royal frosting. I guess with a mult-tiered cake, you
wouldn't use gelatine to soften the icing, on the bottom tier :-)

Many years ago, a cake my mum taught my wife to make, was battenburg. It
uses marzipan on sponge. Battenburg is still available in the s/mkt, but as
you see from the Wiki entry, nowadays it looks pretty anaemic. However, my
wife still uses food dye, which exaggerates the harlequin effect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_cake

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 2:16*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" > wrote in message

> On Nov 12, 4:41 pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
>

> > "Merryb" wrote in message
> > >I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
> > >slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
> > >is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...

> > Hah, I ran out of brandy on New Years Eve, the bottle only lasted a week
> > and
> > I haven't bought any since. I substituted with 3 tbsp of port.

> > None of the fruit were soaked. It's the cheap supermarket branded stuff,
> > which is fairly sticky.

> > I'll make another one of these fruit cakes next week and leave it in the
> > tin
> > for a month. My wife will then cover it about quarter inch of marzipan and
> > frosted icing. She'll add 1 tspn of gelatine, to soften the icing. This
> > will
> > be our traditional Xmas cake treat and will last about 1 week - Must
> > remember to add brandy to the w/end shopping list - for cake and medicinal
> > purposes :-)

> > Bertie

> So, you are in the UK? I'm only guessing because of your measurments,
> and also using marzipan is something that sounds a bit more cultured
> than what is done in the US!! I'm interested in your use of port as
> oppossed to brandy or whiskey- did it lend a "winey" flavor?
>
> Port and sherry is a popular additive to rich fruit cake as an alternative
> to brandy, it's down to taste rather than cost, as the quantities are quite
> small.
>
> Marzipan is popular in the uk, you can buy it ready-made, in sheets from the
> s/mkt or make your own from ground almonds and sugar. In addition to Xmas
> cake, it's also used in wedding cakes i.e. rich fruit cake, marzipan and
> then overlaid with royal frosting. I guess with a mult-tiered cake, you
> wouldn't use gelatine to soften the icing, on the bottom tier :-)
>
> Many years ago, a cake my mum taught my wife to make, was battenburg. It
> uses marzipan on sponge. Battenburg is still available in the s/mkt, but as
> you see from the Wiki entry, nowadays it looks pretty anaemic. However, my
> wife still uses food dye, which exaggerates the harlequin effect.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_cake
>
> Bertie- Hide quoted text -

I went to school a number of years ago to study French Pastry &
Baking, and worked in the field for a number of years, altho I have a
real job now! I have made marzipan myself, but most people really
don't care for it. It's interesting to read/taste the differences in
cultures, so that's why you are getting "the third degree" here! Where
are you?

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in message
>I went to school a number of years ago to study French Pastry &
>Baking, and worked in the field for a number of years, altho I have a
>real job now! I have made marzipan myself, but most people really
>don't care for it. It's interesting to read/taste the differences in
>cultures, so that's why you are getting "the third degree" here! Where
>are you?

I wouldn't want to eat marzipan more than say 2 or 3 times a year - it is
very sweet. In Germany they have a similar cake covering, can't remember
it's name, which uses a different nut to almond, no doubt great ... in small
doses.

I'm in the county of Cornwall, about 5 miles from the south coast and about
30 mins drive, West of Plymouth. Quite nice, when it's not raining :-)

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 3:03*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" *wrote in message
> >I went to school a number of years ago to study French Pastry &
> >Baking, and worked in the field for a number of years, altho I have a
> >real job now! I have made marzipan myself, but most people really
> >don't care for it. It's interesting to read/taste the differences in
> >cultures, so that's why you are getting "the third degree" here! Where
> >are you?

> I wouldn't want to eat marzipan more than say 2 or 3 times a year - it is
> very sweet. In Germany they have a similar cake covering, can't remember
> it's name, which uses a different nut to almond, no doubt great ... in small
> doses.
>
> I'm in the county of Cornwall, about 5 miles from the south coast and about
> 30 mins drive, West of Plymouth. Quite nice, when it's not raining :-)
>
> Bertie

I'm in the Seattle area, also famous for rain, although it's beautiful
out today..I feel the same about marzipan as you do- a little goes a
long way. I once made a cake for the opening of the town's seasonal
farmer's market. I made a bunch of little marzipan vegetables to
decorate it with. Fun stuff to play with!
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in message
On Nov 13, 3:03 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:

> I'm in the county of Cornwall, about 5 miles from the south coast and
> about
> 30 mins drive, West of Plymouth. Quite nice, when it's not raining :-)
>
> Bertie

>I'm in the Seattle area, also famous for rain, although it's beautiful
>out today..I feel the same about marzipan as you do- a little goes a
>long way. I once made a cake for the opening of the town's seasonal
>farmer's market. I made a bunch of little marzipan vegetables to
>decorate it with. Fun stuff to play with!

Agh Seattle, world famous for it's coffee culture. I'm an espresso nut and
roast my own beans. If I were to visit Seattle, it could prove fatal

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 3:53*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" wrote in message
>
> On Nov 13, 3:03 pm, "Bertie Doe" *wrote:
>

> > I'm in the county of Cornwall, about 5 miles from the south coast and
> > about
> > 30 mins drive, West of Plymouth. Quite nice, when it's not raining :-)

> > Bertie
> >I'm in the Seattle area, also famous for rain, although it's beautiful
> >out today..I feel the same about marzipan as you do- a little goes a
> >long way. I once made a cake for the opening of the town's seasonal
> >farmer's market. I made a bunch of little marzipan vegetables to
> >decorate it with. Fun stuff to play with!

> Agh Seattle, world famous for it's coffee culture. I'm an espresso nut and
> roast my own beans. If I were to visit Seattle, it could prove fatal
>
> Bertie

Sometimes, too much of a good thing- I'm afraid Starbucks will take
over the world! Actually with our economy right now, I think their
business is slowing down. I am sure your coffee has got to be better
than theirs- I like Tully's better, or better yet, Torrefazone. When I
went to Italy about 12 years ago, I learned to appreciate espresso
even more than I did before I went. When I ordered coffee at
breakfast, I was asked "American coffee?" I said yes, and was I
disappointed! It was more like brown water! LOL! From then on, I stuck
to espresso, straight up with a touch of sugar, and maybe some lemon.
So, what kind of beans do you prefer?
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in message

>. When I went to Italy about 12 years ago, I learned to appreciate espresso
>even more than I did before I went. When I ordered coffee at
>breakfast, I was asked "American coffee?" I said yes, and was I
>disappointed! It was more like brown water! LOL! From then on, I stuck
>to espresso, straight up with a touch of sugar, and maybe some lemon.
>So, what kind of beans do you prefer?

>Yes, I made the same mistake 2 years ago, when I was in Turkey. I asked
> >for coffee and the waiter said "Nescafe?" I insisted on Turkish Coffee. It
> >was pretty grim, I guess they just cater for tourists and have forgotten

>the >skills of the Ibrik.

What beans do I prefer? that's a tough one, as the are hundreds to choose
from and a good harvest this year, could be followed by a bad one next year.
At the moment, my top 5 are : Ethiopian Haraar, Indian Monsooned Malabar,
Dominican Republic Barahona, Brazil Fazenda Monte Alegre and Indonesian
Silcoto Sulwazi. There are also some good blends around, from your side of
the pond, there is Sweet Marias Liquid Amber and Intelligentsia Black Cat.

I started of with a Woolworth's steamer carafe many years ago, which cost
about £8. Overtime I've upgraded my kit, but don't ask me how much I spent,
as I'll say "an arm and a leg". Here's a pic of my grinder, espresso machine
and roaster. You can see both the green unroasted beans (on the right) and
the dark roasted on the left.

There's also a picture of one of my earlier fruit cake attempts. It looks
ok, but it's a bit over-cooked and some of the raisins etc, near the surface
are burnt. You see this earlier recipe had glace cherries. Next time I bake
this, I won't need to use the thermometer, I'll just reduce the temperature
after 40mins - if I remember :-)
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=635fa82a.pbw

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 14, 3:13*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" *wrote in message
> >. When I went to Italy about 12 years ago, I learned to appreciate espresso
> >even more than I did before I went. When I ordered coffee at
> >breakfast, I was asked "American coffee?" I said yes, and was I
> >disappointed! It was more like brown water! LOL! From then on, I stuck
> >to espresso, straight up with a touch of sugar, and maybe some lemon.
> >So, what kind of beans do you prefer?
> >Yes, I made the same mistake 2 years ago, when I was in Turkey. I asked
> > >for coffee and the waiter said "Nescafe?" I insisted on Turkish Coffee.. It
> > >was pretty grim, I guess they just cater for tourists and have forgotten

> >the >skills of the Ibrik.

> What beans do I prefer? that's a tough one, as the are hundreds to choose
> from and a good harvest this year, could be followed by a bad one next year.
> At the moment, my top 5 are : Ethiopian Haraar, Indian Monsooned Malabar,
> Dominican Republic Barahona, Brazil Fazenda Monte Alegre and Indonesian
> Silcoto Sulwazi. There are also some good blends around, from your side of
> the pond, there is Sweet Marias Liquid Amber and Intelligentsia Black Cat..
>
> I started of with a Woolworth's steamer carafe many years ago, which cost
> about 8. Overtime I've upgraded my kit, but don't ask me how much I spent,
> as I'll say "an arm and a leg". Here's a pic of my grinder, espresso machine
> and roaster. You can see both the green unroasted beans (on the right) and
> the dark roasted on the left.
>
> There's also a picture of one of my earlier fruit cake attempts. It looks
> ok, but it's a bit over-cooked and some of the raisins etc, near the surface
> are burnt. You see this earlier recipe had glace cherries. Next time I bake
> this, I won't need to use the thermometer, I'll just reduce the temperature
> after 40mins - if I remember :-)http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ion=view&curre...
>
> Bertie

Wow, you are serious about your coffee- nice pics! I haven't seen
green beans anywhere, altho I've never really looked for them. That
could be a fun thing to try...I've read that you can use a hot air
popcorn popper to roast beans, but it will burn it out fast as that's
not what it was made for. Thank you so much for the lovely pictures
and great info!
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in message
>Wow, you are serious about your coffee- nice pics! I haven't seen
>green beans anywhere, altho I've never really looked for them. That
>could be a fun thing to try...I've read that you can use a hot air
>popcorn popper to roast beans, but it will burn it out fast as that's
>not what it was made for. Thank you so much for the lovely pictures
>and great info!

Sweet Marias is one of the largest supplier of greens in the USA
http://www.sweetmarias.com/ but there are loads of others. CoffeeGeek
probable has the best archives on other roasters -
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 14, 3:58*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" wrote in message
> >Wow, you are serious about your coffee- nice pics! I haven't seen
> >green beans anywhere, altho I've never really looked for them. That
> >could be a fun thing to try...I've read that you can use a hot air
> >popcorn popper to roast beans, but it will burn it out fast as that's
> >not what it was made for. Thank you so much for the lovely pictures
> >and great info!

> Sweet Marias is one of the largest supplier of greens in the USAhttp://www.sweetmarias.com/but there are loads of others. CoffeeGeek
> probable has the best archives on other roasters -http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums

Thanks for the info. My husband is groaning at the thought of another
kitchen experiment! LOL!
Experienced Member

My favorite coffee beans are Kona. They are so aromatic and the flavor is rich, robust and distinctive. I love to serve Kona coffee for the holidays because the guests always appreciate it and notice the difference. I order 100 percent pure Kona coffee online at https://konaluna.com because I got duped at local gourmet stores who sell Kona blends (which are 10 percent Kona and then Arabica or something else -might as well buy Folgers).
Posted to rec.food.baking

"mamasaid" > wrote in message

> My favorite coffee beans are Kona. They are so aromatic and the flavor
> is rich, robust and distinctive. I love to serve Kona coffee for the
> holidays because the guests always appreciate it and notice the
> difference. I order 100 percent pure Kona coffee online at
> https://konaluna.com because I got duped at local gourmet stores who
> sell Kona blends (which are 10 percent Kona and then Arabica or
> something else -might as well buy Folgers).

My online roaster in the Uk, gets his Kona from Cea at Smithfarms. Cea posts
a lot in alt.coffee, so we always get updates on the fight for 100% pure
Kona. One success she has mentioned, is the Hawaii legislature's ban on GM
coffee and taro, hooray!!

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 29, 3:32*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "mamasaid" > wrote in message
>
> > My favorite coffee beans are Kona. *They are so aromatic and the flavor
> > is rich, robust and distinctive. *I love to serve Kona coffee for the
> > holidays because the guests always appreciate it and notice the
> > difference. *I order 100 percent pure Kona coffee online at
> >https://konaluna.combecause I got duped at local gourmet stores who
> > sell Kona blends (which are 10 percent Kona and then Arabica or
> > something else -might as well buy Folgers).

> My online roaster in the Uk, gets his Kona from Cea at Smithfarms. Cea posts
> a lot in alt.coffee, so we always get updates on the fight for 100% pure
> Kona. One success she has mentioned, is the Hawaii legislature's ban on GM
> coffee and taro, hooray!!

She posts to the food group occasionally- maybe I should ask for a
catalog!
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" <wrote in message
On Nov 29, 3:32 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
> "mamasaid" < wrote in message
>
> > My favorite coffee beans are Kona. They are so aromatic and the flavor
> > is rich, robust and distinctive. I love to serve Kona coffee for the
> > holidays because the guests always appreciate it and notice the
> > difference. I order 100 percent pure Kona coffee online at
> >https://konaluna.combecause I got duped at local gourmet stores who
> > sell Kona blends (which are 10 percent Kona and then Arabica or
> > something else -might as well buy Folgers).

> My online roaster in the Uk, gets his Kona from Cea at Smithfarms. Cea
> posts
> a lot in alt.coffee, so we always get updates on the fight for 100% pure
> Kona. One success she has mentioned, is the Hawaii legislature's ban on GM
> coffee and taro, hooray!!

>She posts to the food group occasionally- maybe I should ask for a
>catalog!

Yes, I've only heard good news about Cea's crop. Roasted coffee only has a
shelf life of about 2 weeks max. If you buy more than this, it will freeze
ok, but you must remember to allow the beans to defrost fully before
opening - otherwise a layer of moisture forms on the beans.
Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 1, 4:20*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" <wrote in message
> On Nov 29, 3:32 pm, "Bertie Doe" *wrote:
>

> > "mamasaid" < wrote in message

> > > My favorite coffee beans are Kona. They are so aromatic and the flavor
> > > is rich, robust and distinctive. I love to serve Kona coffee for the
> > > holidays because the guests always appreciate it and notice the
> > > difference. I order 100 percent pure Kona coffee online at
> > >https://konaluna.combecauseI got duped at local gourmet stores who
> > > sell Kona blends (which are 10 percent Kona and then Arabica or
> > > something else -might as well buy Folgers).

> > My online roaster in the Uk, gets his Kona from Cea at Smithfarms. Cea
> > posts
> > a lot in alt.coffee, so we always get updates on the fight for 100% pure
> > Kona. One success she has mentioned, is the Hawaii legislature's ban on GM
> > coffee and taro, hooray!!
> >She posts to the food group occasionally- maybe I should ask for a
> >catalog!

> Yes, I've only heard good news about Cea's crop. Roasted coffee only has a
> shelf life of about 2 weeks max. If you buy more than this, it will freeze
> ok, but you must remember to allow the beans to defrost fully before
> opening - otherwise a layer of moisture forms on the beans.
> Bertie- Hide quoted text -

Interesting- thanks for the info! So, bake any more cakes lately?
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" < wrote in message
On Dec 1, 4:20 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
> "Merryb" <wrote in message

>> Yes, I've only heard good news about Cea's crop. Roasted coffee only has

> shelf life of about 2 weeks max. If you buy more than this, it will freeze
> ok, but you must remember to allow the beans to defrost fully before
> opening - otherwise a layer of moisture forms on the beans.
> Bertie- Hide quoted text -

>Interesting- thanks for the info! So, bake any more cakes lately?

I did a repeat of the above fruit cake, but substituted 7oz of dates for the
glace' cherries. I tried my first sourdough bread last week. It wasn't very
good, the top collapsed and it tasted too sour. I posted in
alt.bread.recipes.

I made a few adjustments and the second one was good. Tomorrow, I'll bake a
bread called 'Fannie Farmer's Water Bread' I work from home, but it's fairly
quiet now, until the new year. The Water Bread Recipe was first published in
'The Original Boston Cooking School Cookbook' in 1896. I've never tried it
before, it should be fun.
Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bertie Doe" <wrote in message

> "Merryb" wrote in message
>
>>I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
>>slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
>>is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...

> Hah, I ran out of brandy on New Years Eve, the bottle only lasted a week
> and I haven't bought any since. I substituted with 3 tbsp of port.
>
> None of the fruit were soaked. It's the cheap supermarket branded stuff,
> which is fairly sticky.
>
> I'll make another one of these fruit cakes next week and leave it in the
> tin for a month. My wife will then cover it about quarter inch of marzipan
> and frosted icing. She'll add 1 tspn of gelatine, to soften the icing.
> This will be our traditional Xmas cake treat and will last about 1
> week - Must remember to add brandy to the w/end shopping list - for cake
> and medicinal purposes :-)
>
> Bertie

Update : I made another rich fruitcake, but this time soaked the fruit in
brandy overnight and baked it a few degrees cooler. Another fruitcake tip[ I
picked up from a book was "towards the end of the bake-time, listen to the
cake, if it's not quite ready, you will hear a faint sizzling sound. Sure
enough, at 2 hours you could hear the sizzle and the wooden skewer was still
sticky. 15 minutes later, no sound and clean skewer.

My wife covered the top with marzipan, then a final top layer of sugar
frosting. We prefer not to cover the sides, as we find that the end of the
slice is too sweet.
As you see from the picture, I forgot to buy soft, dark brown sugar and had
to use white again. The crumb should be a lot darker. So remember : speak to
your flowers (flours?) and listen to your cakes and have yourselves a great
New Year all.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...sCake08001.jpg

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 28, 2:16*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Bertie Doe" <wrote in message
>

> > "Merryb" *wrote in message

> >>I'm really glad I could help- thanks for the formula, and the nice
> >>slideshow! Your cake looks perfectly done! So, will you soak this, or
> >>is the added brandy all it gets? I may just have to try it...

> > Hah, I ran out of brandy on New Years Eve, the bottle only lasted a week
> > and I haven't bought any since. I substituted with 3 tbsp of port.

> > None of the fruit were soaked. It's the cheap supermarket branded stuff,
> > which is fairly sticky.

> > I'll make another one of these fruit cakes next week and leave it in the
> > tin for a month. My wife will then cover it about quarter inch of marzipan
> > and frosted icing. She'll add 1 tspn of gelatine, to soften the icing.
> > This will be our traditional Xmas cake treat and will last about 1
> > week - Must remember to add brandy to the w/end shopping list - for cake
> > and medicinal purposes :-)

> > Bertie

> Update : I made another rich fruitcake, but this time soaked the fruit in
> brandy overnight and baked it a few degrees cooler. Another fruitcake tip[ I
> picked up from a book was "towards the end of the bake-time, listen to the
> cake, if it's not quite ready, you will hear a faint sizzling sound. Sure
> enough, at 2 hours you could hear the sizzle and the wooden skewer was still
> sticky. 15 minutes later, no sound and clean skewer.
>
> My wife covered the top with marzipan, then a final top layer of sugar
> frosting. We prefer not to cover the sides, as we find that the end of the
> slice is too sweet.
> As you see from the picture, I forgot to buy soft, dark brown sugar and had
> to use white again. The crumb should be a lot darker. So remember : speak to
> your flowers (flours?) and listen to your cakes and have yourselves a great
> New Year all.
>
> http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...sCake08001.jpg
>
> Bertie- Hide quoted text -

Very nice! I did not do as much baking for the holidays- I meant to do
more, but we had quite a snowstorm which really slowed things down
around here! I had taken last week off for vacation, but my husband
still had to work. He has a motorcycle, but can't ride it in the snow,
so he had to drive our only car. I had a pretty enjoyable week- it was
nice to spend more time with my 11 year old. And it was beautiful out
with all the snow, but glad to see it gone finally! I did make the
Xmas bread I usually make, but it was a little overbaked. It's just a
sweet dough, and I add apricots, almonds, and cardemom. I baked a loaf
yesterday from "Artesian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day", altho I can't
remember what it was called! It's Swedish, and has a bit of Rye flour,
orange zest, ground anise, and cardemom- nice flavor! So, any big
plans for the New Year, or will you be like us- asleep at 10 pm? LOL!
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Merryb" wrote in message
On Dec 28, 2:16 pm, "Bertie Doe" < wrote:
> "Bertie Doe" <wrote in message
>
> http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...sCake08001.jpg
>
> Bertie- Hide quoted text -

Very nice! I did not do as much baking for the holidays- I meant to do
more, but we had quite a snowstorm which really slowed things down
around here! I had taken last week off for vacation, but my husband
still had to work. He has a motorcycle, but can't ride it in the snow,
so he had to drive our only car. I had a pretty enjoyable week- it was
nice to spend more time with my 11 year old. And it was beautiful out
with all the snow, but glad to see it gone finally! I did make the
Xmas bread I usually make, but it was a little overbaked. It's just a
sweet dough, and I add apricots, almonds, and cardemom. I baked a loaf
yesterday from "Artesian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day", altho I can't
remember what it was called! It's Swedish, and has a bit of Rye flour,
orange zest, ground anise, and cardemom- nice flavor! So, any big
plans for the New Year, or will you be like us- asleep at 10 pm? LOL!

No snow on the south coast of England (yet) although the night temperatures
are hovering around freezing. My brother and his wife each have a Harley,
which they use in the Summer only. I guess they're trying to fight off
middle-age but it hasn't worked -

I posted a 'trail mix' bread on alt.bread.recipes which was great fun. It
contained fruit and nuts also. We both need to go on a serious diet in the
New Year after all the Xmas treats have been eaten -

Have a great New Year all.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 29, 12:25*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "Merryb" *wrote in message
>
> On Dec 28, 2:16 pm, "Bertie Doe" < wrote:
>
> > "Bertie Doe" <wrote in message

> >http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...sCake08001.jpg

> > Bertie- Hide quoted text -

> Very nice! I did not do as much baking for the holidays- I meant to do
> more, but we had quite a snowstorm which really slowed things down
> around here! I had taken last week off for vacation, but my husband
> still had to work. He has a motorcycle, but can't ride it in the snow,
> so he had to drive our only car. I had a pretty enjoyable week- it was
> nice to spend more time with my 11 year old. And it was beautiful out
> with all the snow, but glad to see it gone finally! I did make the
> Xmas bread I usually make, but it was a little overbaked. It's just a
> sweet dough, and I add apricots, almonds, and cardemom. I baked a loaf
> yesterday from "Artesian Bread in 5 Minutes a Day", altho I can't
> remember what it was called! It's Swedish, and has a bit of Rye flour,
> orange zest, ground anise, and cardemom- nice flavor! So, any big
> plans for the New Year, or will you be like us- asleep at 10 pm? LOL!
>
> No snow on the south coast of England (yet) although the night temperatures
> are hovering around freezing. My brother and his wife each have a Harley,
> which they use in the Summer only. I guess they're trying to fight off
> middle-age but it hasn't worked -
>
> I posted a 'trail mix' bread on alt.bread.recipes which was great fun. It
> contained fruit and nuts also. We both need to go on a serious diet in the
> New Year after all the Xmas treats have been eaten -
>
> Have a great New Year all.
>
> Bertie

Hi again! I will look for your recipe- it sounds good. I know what you
mean by going on a diet My son has a Wii system, so I bought the
Wii Fit for it so I could try to lose a few. I just started it the
other day, and I'm quite impressed by it. I'm actually motivated!
Anything special you do there to celebrate the New Year, like make a
traditional recipe? If so, hopefully it will be low calorie! Best to
your wife for the New Year!