Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Need recommendation for food/dough mixer

I have an old food processor. I'd like to replace it with something
that not only works as a food processor, but hopefully also as a dough
machine. Specifically for mixing cookie dough, and perhaps bread
dough. I'm at the point in my life where I need to make things as
simple as possible. Trouble is I love to bake. I tend to stick to
simple stuff because I just can't spend too much time on my feet. I'm
thinking a machine that does the mixing for me while I add ingredients
would be a big help.

I don't have much counter space so I want to get something that is as
versatile as possible.

I'd appreciate recommendations.

Thanks
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Oct 23, 4:59*pm, Jane > wrote:
> I have an old food processor. *I'd like to replace it with something
> that not only works as a food processor, but hopefully also as a dough
> machine. * Specifically for mixing cookie dough, and perhaps bread
> dough. *I'm at the point in my life where I need to make things as
> simple as possible. *Trouble is I love to bake. *I tend to stick to
> simple stuff because I just can't spend too much time on my feet. *I'm
> thinking a machine that does the mixing for me while I add ingredients
> would be a big help.
>
> I don't have much counter space so I want to get something that is as
> versatile as possible.
>
> I'd appreciate recommendations.
>
> Thanks

How about a kitchenaid or a viking mixer? When my kitchenaid dies, I
will have to buy another!
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Oct 24, 1:39*pm, Merryb > wrote:
> On Oct 23, 4:59*pm, Jane > wrote:
>
> > I have an old food processor. *I'd like to replace it with something
> > that not only works as a food processor, but hopefully also as a dough
> > machine. * Specifically for mixing cookie dough, and perhaps bread
> > dough. *I'm at the point in my life where I need to make things as
> > simple as possible. *Trouble is I love to bake. *I tend to stick to
> > simple stuff because I just can't spend too much time on my feet. *I'm
> > thinking a machine that does the mixing for me while I add ingredients
> > would be a big help.

> > I don't have much counter space so I want to get something that is as
> > versatile as possible.

> > I'd appreciate recommendations.

> > Thanks

> How about a kitchenaid or a viking mixer? When my kitchenaid dies, I
> will have to buy another!

Problem is I can't use it as a food processor too. I'm not sure I'm
going to be able to find what I want.

Wish I was an inventor........
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article
Jane > wrote:

> Problem is I can't use it as a food processor too. I'm not sure I'm
> going to be able to find what I want.
>
> Wish I was an inventor........

Yeah, a mixer is great for mixing - and some have nice attachments for
pasta or whatever.

A food processor is great for that work and I happen to like my
cuisinart for small batches of bread dough. But when you threw in the
cookie dough requirement I think you lost out. The motor is so powerful
that I just can't imagine it doing that well.

For many years in itty bitty kitchens I was very happy with a food
processor plus a hand mixer for cookie dough, whipping cream or egg
whites and the like. Really, a hand mixer doesn't take up much space at
all and you can shove it in a drawer or cupboard and save counter space.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Jane
> wrote:

>I have an old food processor.

Jane...you know the answer to your own questions. Food processors
"process" food. Mixers combine food.

This is like asking a cement mixer to make pastry dough. It just
ain't gonna work.

Posted to rec.food.baking

You can start a bread dough in the food processor. But, you need to
finish kneading by hand. Have to watch the heat buildup, too
otherwise you kill the yeast. Not sure if that is enough help to
you. FIY, most stand mixers have attachments to do a lot of shredding
and slicing. Might be worth looking into.

GBB

On Oct 24, 3:33 pm, Jane > wrote:
> On Oct 24, 1:39 pm, Merryb > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 23, 4:59 pm, Jane > wrote:

> > > I have an old food processor. I'd like to replace it with something
> > > that not only works as a food processor, but hopefully also as a dough
> > > machine. Specifically for mixing cookie dough, and perhaps bread
> > > dough. I'm at the point in my life where I need to make things as
> > > simple as possible. Trouble is I love to bake. I tend to stick to
> > > simple stuff because I just can't spend too much time on my feet. I'm
> > > thinking a machine that does the mixing for me while I add ingredients
> > > would be a big help.

> > > I don't have much counter space so I want to get something that is as
> > > versatile as possible.

> > > I'd appreciate recommendations.

> > > Thanks

> > How about a kitchenaid or a viking mixer? When my kitchenaid dies, I
> > will have to buy another!

> Problem is I can't use it as a food processor too. I'm not sure I'm
> going to be able to find what I want.
>
> Wish I was an inventor........

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Oct 24, 6:52*pm, Marcella Peek > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Jane > wrote:
> > Problem is I can't use it as a food processor too. *I'm not sure I'm
> > going to be able to find what I want.

> > Wish I was an inventor........

> Yeah, a mixer is great for mixing - and some have nice attachments for
> pasta or whatever.
>
> A food processor is great for that work and I happen to like my
> cuisinart for small batches of bread dough. *But when you threw in the
> cookie dough requirement I think you lost out. *The motor is so powerful
> that I just can't imagine it doing that well.
>
> For many years in itty bitty kitchens I was very happy with a food
> processor plus a hand mixer for cookie dough, whipping cream or egg
> whites and the like. *Really, a hand mixer doesn't take up much space at
> all and you can shove it in a drawer or cupboard and save counter space.
>
> marcella

I do have a hand mixer but it isn't nearly strong enough for cookie
dough that is firm enough so that you need to use your hands to form
the cookie. Do you think the Cuisinart would be good for that kind of
dough?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Oct 24, 8:32*pm, Billy <Hereiam@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Jane
>
> > wrote:
> >I have an old food processor.

> Jane...you know the answer to your own questions. * *Food processors
> "process" food. * * Mixers combine food. *
>
> This is like asking a cement mixer to make pastry dough. * It just
> ain't gonna work. *

Yeah, I pretty much figured that out when I started looking a the
reviews in Consumer Reports. Oh well.
Posted to rec.food.baking

In article
Jane > wrote:

> I do have a hand mixer but it isn't nearly strong enough for cookie
> dough that is firm enough so that you need to use your hands to form
> the cookie. Do you think the Cuisinart would be good for that kind of
> dough?

I don't know the answer to that.

I use my Black & Decker hand mixer for all kinds of cookie doughs -
peanut butter, gingerbread men, snickerdoodles. I even use it for
cheesecake batters.

I've not ever tried cookie dough in a food processor. I just figured
the motor would spin so much the dough would get tough. I wonder if a
good cookie book would give food processor options? That might give you
an idea.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.baking

No one mentioned this possibility, but you might consider keeping the
older processor and augment it with a good bread machine. No question
that a KitchenAid or Viking would handle the heavier doughs, but they
are also a considerable investment. My cuisinart FPC-11 has a plastic
blade for dough, but even the "11" strains at some cookie doughs.
My Breadman Ultimate not only makes various breads, but has
separate cycles for jam, dough and pizza dough. This allows
you to get your dough made virtually unattended and still
free-form your breads, cakes or cookies. I'l be making a batch
of potato kolaches today and the breadman will do most of
the work. I'll just roll the dough out, cut the kolaches, press
the center wells and fill them, and allow one final rise while
the oven is heating. I have a bad back and standing for
extended periods is a problem, but this works for me
quite well.

Art in Texas

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Jane
> wrote:

>I have an old food processor. I'd like to replace it with something
>that not only works as a food processor, but hopefully also as a dough
>machine. Specifically for mixing cookie dough, and perhaps bread
>dough. I'm at the point in my life where I need to make things as
>simple as possible. Trouble is I love to bake. I tend to stick to
>simple stuff because I just can't spend too much time on my feet. I'm
>thinking a machine that does the mixing for me while I add ingredients
>would be a big help.
>
>I don't have much counter space so I want to get something that is as
>versatile as possible.
>
>I'd appreciate recommendations.
>
>Thanks

dough mixer recommendation? anthony Baking 4 27-11-2006 11:20 PM
FS: Hand Crank Dough Mixer Jim Baking 0 23-07-2006 01:39 PM
Mixer Recommendation BestBread Sourdough 25 07-04-2006 09:30 PM
Kitchenaid? Bah! Here's a serious dough mixer! Mark Thorson General Cooking 3 24-01-2006 03:10 AM
Is there a Heavy Dough mixer? Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 9 29-02-2004 04:56 PM