A.T. Hagan

Default Glazing Fried pastry

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:01:32 -0800, "H. W. Hans Kuntze"
> wrote:

>DRLJC wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>Thought Id try the wisdom of this group. In making Italian pastry, it
>>is a wine batter that is then fried. This is then glazed with honey
>>but I cant seem to make the honey stick. Even if letting the pasty
>>cool. Any suggestions?
>>TIA
>>

>As soon as the fritters (carteddate) come out of the fryer, drain and
>dip them in the hot, diluted honey.
>
>Dilute the honey with lemon or lime juice and heat till well liquid.
>
>It won't take more than 2-3 TB of juice per cup of honey.

I'm curious. What does the lemon juice do for helping the honey to
stay on the pastry?

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
H. W. Hans Kuntze

A.T. Hagan wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:01:32 -0800, "H. W. Hans Kuntze"
> wrote:
>
> =20
>
>> [...]
>>
>>It won't take more than 2-3 TB of juice per cup of honey.
>> =20
>>

>I'm curious. What does the lemon juice do for helping the honey to
>stay on the pastry? =20

Yes, plus, it cuts the cloying sweetness of the honey.

But remember the honey glaze needs to be quite hot, almost boiling.

Otherwise, nothing will stay on there, except powder sugar.

--=20
Sincerly,

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
http://www.cmcchef.com , chef<AT>cmcchef.com
"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it Happened"
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Judy and Dave G

"DRLJC" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
> Thought Id try the wisdom of this group. In making Italian pastry, it
> is a wine batter that is then fried. This is then glazed with honey
> but I cant seem to make the honey stick. Even if letting the pasty
> cool. Any suggestions?
> TIA

Hello. I make Italian wine pastries every year. The honey isn't really
just a glaze. You want the honey to be absorbed a bit into the pastry.
After you fry them, place them into a large pan (I use a 9x13 cake pan) and
pour some honey over them. Move them around as you continue to add the
pastries as they are done being fried. Add more honey as your pile grows.
As you move them around also turn them over and sideways. You should let
them sit in the honey for awhile.

If you want to build a "christmas tree" with the pastries, you really need
to let them absorb as much honey as they will. The weight of the pastries
added to the honey will maintain the shape of the tree.

Judy

Oil pastry Tim w General Cooking 6 11-05-2015 05:48 AM
Fried Cornmeal Mush and Fried Polenta Doug Weller General Cooking 0 28-02-2006 04:22 PM
glazing a bundt cake stgagnon Baking 5 24-05-2005 07:24 PM
glazing a bundt cake Vox Humana Baking 1 24-05-2005 03:35 AM
Honey glazing a fried pastry DRLJC Baking 1 19-11-2003 05:46 PM