Kim

Default freezing flour and flour products

Unsatisfied (sorry), I am rephrasing my question and hopefully bettering my
spelling.

Does it degrade flour or flour products when frozen and thawed?

Does anyone have an explanation for why freezing flour one time and
subsequently shelving it will cause the flour or flour product to never
attract bugs?

Thanks, Kim

Vox Humana

"Kim" > wrote in message
.. .
> Unsatisfied (sorry), I am rephrasing my question and hopefully bettering

my
> spelling.
>
> Does it degrade flour or flour products when frozen and thawed?
>
> Does anyone have an explanation for why freezing flour one time and
> subsequently shelving it will cause the flour or flour product to never
> attract bugs?
>
> Thanks, Kim

Your assumption is wrong. Grain products often come with insect eggs that
hatch in your cubboard. Freezing may kill them. If the product is exposed
to insects subsequent to freezing, it will get infested. Freeing and
thawing doesn't have any noticable effect on the flour as an ingredient.

Jenn Ridley

"Kim" > wrote:

>Unsatisfied (sorry), I am rephrasing my question and hopefully bettering my
>spelling.
>
>Does it degrade flour or flour products when frozen and thawed?

A couple of people have already posted that they see no difference in
the finished product.

>Does anyone have an explanation for why freezing flour one time and
>subsequently shelving it will cause the flour or flour product to never
>attract bugs?

It doesn't keep it from attracting bugs, but since there are no living
bugs in it, they don't multiply. The proper way to do it, if you live
in an areas where it's a problem is to freeze it when you get it home,
then put it in a bug proof container for shelf storage. If you put it
on the shelf in its paper bag, it probably will attract bugs.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

A.T. Hagan

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 03:13:45 GMT, "Kim" > wrote:

>Unsatisfied (sorry), I am rephrasing my question and hopefully bettering my
>spelling.
>
>Does it degrade flour or flour products when frozen and thawed?

Provided the flour was adequately dry at the time it was placed in the
freezer I cannot conceive of why it would degrade when thawed.

Of course, you do have to make sure that any condensation build up on
the container doesn't get into the flour. Best to wait until it's
back to room temperature before opening and to wipe off any
condensation that might have built up.

Freeze treating like this is very common in food storage.

>Does anyone have an explanation for why freezing flour one time and
>subsequently shelving it will cause the flour or flour product to never
>attract bugs?
>
>Thanks, Kim

It's not that the treated products will never attract bugs, it's that
any bugs that might have been in the product at the time it was frozen
will be killed - if you do it properly. If you've put the flour or
whatnot into a decent container that seals tightly then froze it
properly and thawed it again later to put on the shelf you won't
develop a weevil infestation because anything in the flour when you
sealed it will be dead and nothing new will be able to get in.

I give an explanation of this in the Prudent Food Storage FAQ which
you can find here - http://waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/freeze.html

and the entire FAQ can be found here -
http://waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/

It's getting pretty dated now but I'm working on an update that should
be ready in the next couple of weeks.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -