Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default How to make Bran Muffins like a bakery does...?

Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between the
Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or store?

The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do they
perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if so, is it
hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've noticed call for
the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a large amount so I
don't see how this could give them their darkened color.

I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I like
them better.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

In article <ymSOj.1657$pn4.1499@trnddc03>,
"Sandoz" > wrote:

> Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between the
> Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
> Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or store?
>
> The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do they
> perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if so, is it
> hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've noticed call for
> the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a large amount so I
> don't see how this could give them their darkened color.
>
> I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
> size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I like
> them better.

Try looking for something called "baking bran". It's available in
supermarkets where I am, can't speak for where you are.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Sandoz wrote:
> Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between the
> Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
> Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or store?
>
> The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do they
> perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if so, is it
> hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've noticed call for
> the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a large amount so I
> don't see how this could give them their darkened color.
>
> I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
> size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I like
> them better.
>
> Thanks.

Try this recipe. But don't eat too many of them at once:

Refrigerator Muffins
(from a recipe card that came tucked in a utility bill 20 years ago)

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or 100% bran cereal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 cups brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1 quart cultured buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

I have a recipe that can make huge bran muffins. Have used it for years.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Helen's Six Week Muffins

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 60
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Family

-= Ingredients =-
-MM BY H. PEAGRAM-
425 g Raisin bran ; 15 oz
5 c Flour
3 c Sugar
5 ts Baking soda
2 ts Salt
2 ts Cinnamon
5 c Sour milk
4 Eggs
1 c Oil

-= Instructions =-
Measure dry ingredients into a very large bowl that can be covered. Add
liquid ingredients. Will keep for 6 weeks, if it lasts that long. Fill
muffin cups 1/2 full and bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. NOTE: The dry
mixture may be stored and mixed as needed. Mix at a ratio of 3 cups mix
to 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 egg. Reconstituted
buttermilk powder may be used to replace milk.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

"Sandoz" > wrote in message
> Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between
> the Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
> Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or
> store?
>
> The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do
> they perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if
> so, is it hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've
> noticed call for the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a
> large amount so I don't see how this could give them their darkened
> color.
>
> I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
> size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I
> like them better.
>
> Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Sandoz" > wrote in message
> Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between
> the Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
> Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or store?
>
> The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do they
> perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if so, is it
> hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've noticed call
> for the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a large amount so
> I don't see how this could give them their darkened color.
>
> I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
> size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I
> like them better.
>
> Thanks.

The recipe that comes the closest to bakery bran muffins that I have
personally tried is from Joy of Cooking. It has a high amount of molasses,
which would give it a dark color. These muffins are also very moist due to
the molasses and an even higher amount of honey (no dairy whatsoever!).
They freeze well too.

Now that I've teased you with a description, I have to 'fess up and tell you
that I don't have the recipe with me at work and can't post it. If you have
a copy of Joy of Cooking it should be easy enough to find.

Sharon

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Piggybacking because I can't see the original message:

> "Sandoz" > wrote in message
>> Could someone fill me in on what's the difference in ingredients between
>> the Bran Muffins you get when you follow the instructions on the side of
>> Kellogg's All Bran and the muffins that are pre-made at a bakery or store?
>>
>> The bakery muffins seem to be moister, and their color is darker. Do they
>> perhaps use a different type of bran than the cereal kind and if so, is it
>> hard to find at general grocery stores? Some recipes I've noticed call
>> for the use of molasses, but it doesn't seem to call for a large amount so
>> I don't see how this could give them their darkened color.
>>
>> I like the Kellogg's bran muffin enough, but I'd like to make some jumbo
>> size muffins, and I'd prefer they tasted like bakery muffins because I
>> like them better.
>>
>> Thanks.

Try this recipe:

Refrigerator Muffins
(from a recipe card that came tucked in a utility bill 15 years ago)

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or 100% bran cereal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 cups brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

--
Best regards,
Bob

Bran Muffins Dimitri General Cooking 2 05-10-2008 01:45 AM
How to make Bran Muffins like a bakery does...? Sandoz General Cooking 6 26-08-2008 08:46 PM
Bran muffins barb[_2_] Baking 5 25-05-2007 05:33 AM
Bran Muffins [email protected] General Cooking 5 17-02-2006 07:37 PM
How to make large bakery-style bran muffins? Cam R. Recipes 0 31-01-2005 03:04 AM