Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Is anyone - other than spammers - here

It's been a while since I hung out in rec.food.baking, but on my current
host all I get in rec.food.baking is spam.

Is there anyone here, other than spammers?

Mike
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Feb 26, 9:38 am, Mike Avery > wrote:

> Is there anyone here, other than spammers?

Yeah - ME. I came here for help with yeast and there were the
ubiquitous nike posts. Fie! How many other groups are going to die
because of 99.997% spam? (rhet)

Oh well, I have a huge 2 lb. cake of fresh yeast a friend mailed me -
thinking he was helping me be frugal. Got it from a bakery.
How do I substitute it for the usual active dry yeast to make bread
in my ABM? Most of my recipes call for 2 and a half teaspoons of the
active dry yeast. Equal amounts? Ratio?

Thanks and happy hunting for pertinent posts.
Posted to rec.food.baking

val189 wrote:

> Oh well, I have a huge 2 lb. cake of fresh yeast a friend mailed me -
> thinking he was helping me be frugal. Got it from a bakery.
> How do I substitute it for the usual active dry yeast to make bread
> in my ABM? Most of my recipes call for 2 and a half teaspoons of the
> active dry yeast. Equal amounts? Ratio?

As I recall, the standard unit of compressed wet yeast was about 1/2
inch cube, maybe a slight bit bigger. That was replaced by the 14 g, 2.5
tsp of active dry yeast.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Mike Avery wrote:

> Finally, the signal to noise ratio seems better in alt.bread.recipes and
> rec.food.sourdough

Great - now you've gone and done it!
The f'ing spammers will be there in no time...