Old 04-12-2003, 03:18 AM
alzelt

Default "bread flour"

Dee Randall wrote:

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that bread flour has
added to it, citric acid (vitamin c) powder to make it bread flour.

I tried adding the teeniest pinch of citric acid to my all-purpose flour for
a pizza crust, instead of using bread flour which seems to make it a little
too bubbly for my tastes. The addition of the citric acid did change my
crust.

Big imagination?
Dee

Yeah, big imagination. Try checking out difference in protein/gluten
levels. THAT is the real diff between bread flour and AP.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Old 04-12-2003, 02:18 PM
barry

"Some bread flour has ascorbic

acid added, some doesn't. I used to be able to choose from four or five

different brands of bread flour, but now I have to take what I can get!

But, adding a little ascorbic acid gives your bread an extra boost, even

if

there's already some in the flour. I add some if I want an especially

light loaf, it makes the bread less dense. The acidity is also supposed

make the bread last longer."

Thanks,

Dee

According to things I have read, the amount of ascorbic acid added by those
large-scale bakeries that use it is something on the order of one-eighth
ounce to 100 pounds of flour. And I think, if anything, I've overstated the
amount.

So the notion of someone throwing in a quarter of a vitamin C tablet for a
batch of bread dough is pretty amusing. I guess if a little is good, then a
lot is great, eh.

Barry

Old 04-12-2003, 02:18 PM
barry

Yeah, big imagination. Try checking out difference in protein/gluten
levels. THAT is the real diff between bread flour and AP.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Check out the Artisan site for a good discussion on flour.

Also www.gmiflour.com for a complete description of all General Mills
flours. Attached to each description is a specification sheet showing what
is in each flour. The specifics may be different between GM flours and
other millers, but the relative characteristics between the various flours
will hold -- all purpose vs artisan vs bread flour.

Barry

Old 04-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Dee Randall

Big Imagination calling -- ring, ring!

Now, this is not ALL the time, but when I have bought some baked bread at
stores where I've paid $4-6 a loaf, I would describe the bread as
"lifeless." I have attributed that in the past to the quality of their
flour and have tried to buy good flour for my own baking.

Now I am using exclusively King Arthur, because I feel that is the best I
can find. I know that price is not always an indicator, but GM can be found
at half the price of KA in the same store (Well, I can't be precise in the
percentage difference, but I know it is a LOT of difference.) But I always
buy KA because I "buy" into their advertisement for their product, as well.

I have used GM for pizza's in the last couple of years (and, of course, it
can be my own lack of expertise) but I didn't use the whole bag because I
found it had that lifeless taste.

Big Imagination,
Dee

et...

Old 04-12-2003, 11:20 PM
barry

I guess we're destined to have a flour thread every three or four months.

Barry

Bread Flour The Cook General Cooking 29 05-11-2014 10:49 AM
Whole wheat bread flour? [email protected]_._ Baking 1 02-04-2008 04:56 PM
all purpose flour and bread flour blackdog General Cooking 2 06-05-2006 07:34 PM
bread flour ctaylor Baking 1 22-03-2006 01:39 AM
Flour?? Bread-AP-Cake Maab Baking 8 16-08-2004 11:57 AM