Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Apple Pie in Cast Iron Skillet?

My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
apple pie' that this might be the answer!

The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
tried this method before and if so, any tips?

Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
shortening?

I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
deep as I'd like.

If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
stories, if there are any out there.

Thanks all!

Jen

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 03 Nov 2007 09:21:22p, Jen meant to say...

> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
> apple pie' that this might be the answer!
>
> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
> tried this method before and if so, any tips?
>
> Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
> still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
> shortening?
>
> I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
> try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
> deep as I'd like.
>
> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
> stories, if there are any out there.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Jen

Jen,

I see no reason why you couldn't do this. I would just lightly grease the
skillet. Pie pastry, by its very nature, is a short dough and should
preclude sticking. You bottom crust should brown nicely, since the cast
iron would hold the heat well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jen wrote:

> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
> stories, if there are any out there.

I'm more of a bread guy than a pie man, but I do have a few years of
playing with cast iron under my belt.

Cast iron distributes heat very evenly, but also very slowly. As a
result, I'd worry that the top crust would be done long before the
bottom. Enough so, that I don't know if covering the top with foil
would be enough. When I make corn bread in a cast iron skillet, I
always preheat the skillet to make sure the bottom is nice and crisp and
doesn't stay wet. I don't think I'd like to drop a pie crust into a
pre-heated red-hot cast iron skillet - you only get one chance, and
there are lots of opportunities to burn yourself.

I did see a very neat recipe on TV. Sadly, I have no idea which show,
or even which network. It was a French recipe, and my Francophobia
means the name was out of my memory before it had a chance to settle
in. Anyway, the cooks cut up apples,. put 'em in the skillet, added
butter, lemon juice, cinnamon and brown sugar and cooked the apples on
the skillet. While they were doing that, they preheated the oven to
350F or so, and made a pie crust. They topped the hot skillet full of
apples with the pie crust, tucking it into the sides, rather than having
it go over the edge of the skillet. They sprinkled some cinnamon sugar
on top and put the skillet into the oven. When the crust was done, the
skillet came out of the oven.... and here's the interesting part...

they put a serving platter over the skillet, flipped the whole mess over
and lifted away the skillet. This left the pie crust on the serving
platter, covered with steaming and savory apples. Te quickly sprinkled
confectioners sugar on top and served it at once.

It looked very, very nice, and was a nice variation on the classic
American pie.

If you were so inclined, you could probably add some sort of French
liqueur to kick up the taste another notch. And you could also make it
wit pears and raisins and honey and cinnamon. As with pies, there are
a lit of options here, and this approach does get around the heat delay
of the cast iron.

Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
Drinking drivers--
Nothing worse
They put
The quart
Before the hearse
Burma-Shave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Mike Avery wrote:

> I did see a very neat recipe on TV. Sadly, I have no idea which show,
> or even which network. It was a French recipe, and my Francophobia
> means the name was out of my memory before it had a chance to settle
> in.
> Mike

I think you may have seen a "Tarte Tatin":

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarte_Tatin>

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Dave Bell wrote:
> Mike Avery wrote:
>

>> I did see a very neat recipe on TV. Sadly, I have no idea which show,
>> or even which network. It was a French recipe, and my Francophobia
>> means the name was out of my memory before it had a chance to settle
>> in.
>> Mike
>>

> I think you may have seen a "Tarte Tatin":
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarte_Tatin>

That was the name they used. Perhaps my francophobia is lessening.
Poolish! Levain! Baguette! Pain au levain! Maybe, must maybe.

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

A Randomly Selected Berber Saying Of The Day:
A word before is worth two behind.

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article .com>,
Jen > wrote:

> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
> apple pie' that this might be the answer!
>
> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
> tried this method before and if so, any tips?
>
> Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
> still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
> shortening?
>
> I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
> try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
> deep as I'd like.
>
> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
> stories, if there are any out there.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Jen

No real experience, just opinions.
I'd be more concerned about how the cast iron will conduct heat than
whether the crust will stick. I don't think the crust will stick --
there's plenty of fat in the crust, no? I surely wouldn't grease the
skillet. Check a recipe for cornbread baked in a cast iron corn mold
and one baked in an aluminum/other material pan to get an idea of how
long to bake it.

Might you reduce the amount of the filling so it isn't SO "very deep
dish?"
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 13 Nov 2007 10:11:26a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> In article .com>,
> Jen > wrote:
>
>> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
>> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
>> apple pie' that this might be the answer!
>>
>> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
>> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
>> tried this method before and if so, any tips?
>>
>> Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
>> still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
>> shortening?
>>
>> I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
>> try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
>> deep as I'd like.
>>
>> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
>> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
>> stories, if there are any out there.
>>
>> Thanks all!
>>
>> Jen

> No real experience, just opinions.
> I'd be more concerned about how the cast iron will conduct heat than
> whether the crust will stick. I don't think the crust will stick --
> there's plenty of fat in the crust, no? I surely wouldn't grease the
> skillet. Check a recipe for cornbread baked in a cast iron corn mold
> and one baked in an aluminum/other material pan to get an idea of how
> long to bake it.
>
> Might you reduce the amount of the filling so it isn't SO "very deep
> dish?"

Normally, when you bake cornbread in a cast iron skillet, you preheat the
skillet almost to the smoking point before pouring in the batter. A 9-inch
or so skillet will bake a pan of cornbread in 35-40 minutes tops.

Unfortunately, you can't do that with pie crust. The time it may take for
the cast iron to conduct the heat sufficient to bake the pie may yield a
soggy crust.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

Any time, any place, our snipers can drop you.
Have a nice day.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 13, 7:43 pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Tue 13 Nov 2007 10:11:26a, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...
>

> > In article .com>,
> > Jen > wrote:

> >> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
> >> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
> >> apple pie' that this might be the answer!

> >> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
> >> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
> >> tried this method before and if so, any tips?

> >> Even though the pan is well-seasoned, but I wonder if the crust will
> >> still stick? How could I avoid this, aside from a thick coat of
> >> shortening?

> >> I do appreciate the idea of making the pie in a springform, and I will
> >> try that if this doesn't work. The springform still isn't quite as
> >> deep as I'd like.

> >> If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
> >> I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
> >> stories, if there are any out there.

> >> Thanks all!

> >> Jen

> > No real experience, just opinions.
> > I'd be more concerned about how the cast iron will conduct heat than
> > whether the crust will stick. I don't think the crust will stick --
> > there's plenty of fat in the crust, no? I surely wouldn't grease the
> > skillet. Check a recipe for cornbread baked in a cast iron corn mold
> > and one baked in an aluminum/other material pan to get an idea of how
> > long to bake it.

> > Might you reduce the amount of the filling so it isn't SO "very deep
> > dish?"

> Normally, when you bake cornbread in a cast iron skillet, you preheat the
> skillet almost to the smoking point before pouring in the batter. A 9-inch
> or so skillet will bake a pan of cornbread in 35-40 minutes tops.
>
> Unfortunately, you can't do that with pie crust. The time it may take for
> the cast iron to conduct the heat sufficient to bake the pie may yield a
> soggy crust.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Agreed. The pie crust is a different animal. Stick with metal or
Pyrex/Corning Ware pie pans. Or there are some with a metal
core and an enamel outer surface, but I haven't tried those. I've
actually done some of my best recent baking in those new silicone
things. But that's more muffins and brownies. I think a pie woujld
need a more rigid container.

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Normally, when you bake cornbread in a cast iron skillet, you preheat the
> skillet almost to the smoking point before pouring in the batter. A 9-inch
> or so skillet will bake a pan of cornbread in 35-40 minutes tops.
>
> Unfortunately, you can't do that with pie crust. The time it may take for
> the cast iron to conduct the heat sufficient to bake the pie may yield a
> soggy crust.

What if you pre-baked the bottom crust, then filled with apples and
topped with a streusel topping? Then the bottom crust wouldn't get
soggy from such a long bake and you'd still have the deep apple pie you
desire?

marcella
Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 13 Nov 2007 08:45:03p, Marcella Peek meant to say...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Normally, when you bake cornbread in a cast iron skillet, you preheat
>> the skillet almost to the smoking point before pouring in the batter.
>> A 9-inch or so skillet will bake a pan of cornbread in 35-40 minutes
>> tops.
>>
>> Unfortunately, you can't do that with pie crust. The time it may take
>> for the cast iron to conduct the heat sufficient to bake the pie may
>> yield a soggy crust.

> What if you pre-baked the bottom crust, then filled with apples and
> topped with a streusel topping? Then the bottom crust wouldn't get
> soggy from such a long bake and you'd still have the deep apple pie you
> desire?
>
> marcella

That could probably work. Good thinking!

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

Any time, any place, our snipers can drop you.
Have a nice day.

Posted to rec.food.baking

I always put a layer of either peach or apricot preserves right over the
bottom crust prior to putting in the wet apple mix. This "insulates"
the bottom crust from the wet. You don't taste the preserves after the
baking. My bottom crust is always flaky.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 14 Nov 2007 11:13:27a, John B meant to say...

> I always put a layer of either peach or apricot preserves right over the
> bottom crust prior to putting in the wet apple mix. This "insulates"
> the bottom crust from the wet. You don't taste the preserves after the
> baking. My bottom crust is always flaky.

That's a keen idea and I'll probably try it. However, I never seem to have
a soggy crust with any fruit pies. I always use Pyrex or pottery pie
plates, put them on a preheated baking stone in the oven, and bake for
about 15 minutes at 425-450 degrees before reducing the heat to finish.

--
Wayne Boatwright

(to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)

Any time, any place, our snipers can drop you.
Have a nice day.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 4, 7:30 am, Mike Avery > wrote:
> Jen wrote:
> > If anyone has baked a pie in a cast iron skillet, please let me know!
> > I saw some recipes when I did a search but I'd like real experience
> > stories, if there are any out there.

> I'm more of a bread guy than a pie man, but I do have a few years of
> playing with cast iron under my belt.
>
> Cast iron distributes heat very evenly, but also very slowly. As a
> result, I'd worry that the top crust would be done long before the
> bottom. Enough so, that I don't know if covering the top with foil
> would be enough. When I make corn bread in a cast iron skillet, I
> always preheat the skillet to make sure the bottom is nice and crisp and
> doesn't stay wet. I don't think I'd like to drop a pie crust into a
> pre-heated red-hot cast iron skillet - you only get one chance, and
> there are lots of opportunities to burn yourself.
>
> I did see a very neat recipe on TV. Sadly, I have no idea which show,
> or even which network. It was a French recipe, and my Francophobia
> means the name was out of my memory before it had a chance to settle
> in. Anyway, the cooks cut up apples,. put 'em in the skillet, added
> butter, lemon juice, cinnamon and brown sugar and cooked the apples on
> the skillet. While they were doing that, they preheated the oven to
> 350F or so, and made a pie crust. They topped the hot skillet full of
> apples with the pie crust, tucking it into the sides, rather than having
> it go over the edge of the skillet. They sprinkled some cinnamon sugar
> on top and put the skillet into the oven. When the crust was done, the
> skillet came out of the oven.... and here's the interesting part...
>
> they put a serving platter over the skillet, flipped the whole mess over
> and lifted away the skillet. This left the pie crust on the serving
> platter, covered with steaming and savory apples. Te quickly sprinkled
> confectioners sugar on top and served it at once.
>
> It looked very, very nice, and was a nice variation on the classic
> American pie.
>
> If you were so inclined, you could probably add some sort of French
> liqueur to kick up the taste another notch. And you could also make it
> wit pears and raisins and honey and cinnamon. As with pies, there are
> a lit of options here, and this approach does get around the heat delay
> of the cast iron.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
> part time baker ICQ 16241692
> networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
> wordsmith
>
> Once seen on road signs all over the United States:
> Drinking drivers--
> Nothing worse
> They put
> The quart
> Before the hearse
> Burma-Shave

I have an AWSOME recipe for 10 pound apple pie that you make in an
iron skillet. It does take a bit longer to bake, but it turns out
great. The only thing you have to worry about is you have to eat the
pie the same day you cook it and take it out of the skillet at the end
of the day. If you don't, you could have a rust issue.
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 3, 11:21 pm, Jen > wrote:
> My mom gave me some really awesome old cast iron skillets, and I
> thought that since I was looking for a way to make my 'very deep dish
> apple pie' that this might be the answer!
>
> The one skillet is about 10 inches wide and three inches deep. It's
> old and well seasoned. I was just wondering if anyone out there has
> tried this method before and if so, any tips?

Rose Ann Beranbaum in "The Pie & Pastry Bible" insists a pineapple
upside down cake made in a cast iron skillet is the only way to make
one. I have tried her recipe and it is marvelous.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

cakes, desserts, fruits

Fruit Topping:
14 pineapple slices; well drained
14 sweet cherries; pitted
4 tb unsalted butter; unsalted
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/4 c pecan halves
Cake:
3 lg egg yolks
1/2 c sour cream
1 ts vanilla
1 1/2 c cake flour; sifted
3/4 c superfine sugar
3/4 ts baking powder
1/4 ts baking soda
1/4 ts salt
9 tb unsalted butter; softened

One 10" cast iron skillet measured at bottom; top measures 11
inches.
Finished Height: 1 1/2" inches.

Preheat oven to 350F. Place oven rack in lower third of oven.

TO MAKE FRUIT TOPPING: Drain pineapple slices and cherries and place
on
paper towels to absorb excess moisture. You will need 8 whole
pineapple
slices and 8 whole cherries. Halve 6 remaining slices and the
remaining
cherries.

In the skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown
sugar
until moistened and remove from the heat.

Place 1 whole pineapple slice in the center of the pan and 7 whole
slices
surrounding it. Place the half slices slice by side against the
sides of
the pan, the two cut edges down, touching the brown sugar. Place the
whole
cherries in the center of the whole pineapple slices; the halved
cherries
in the center of the half slices. Tuck the pecans into any gaps
between
the fruit.

TO MAKE CAKE BATTER: In a medium bowl, lightly combine yolks, about
1/4
of the sour cream and the vanilla.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix on low
speed
for 30 seconds to blend. Add butter and the remaining sour cream.
Mix on
low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium
(high
speed if using hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate and
develop
cake's structure. Scrap down the sides.

Gradually add egg mixture to batter in 3 batches, beating for 20
seconds
after each addition to incorporate ingredients and strengthen
structure.
Scrape down the sides. Scrape batter into fruit-lined skillet,
smoothing
evenly with a spatula. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden
brown and
the wire cake tester inserted in center comes out clean and the cake
springs back when pressed lightly in center. Run a small metal
spatula
around sides and invert at once onto a serving place. Leave the
skillet in
place for one or two minutes before lifting. If any fruit has stuck
the skillet, simply use a small spatula to place it back on the cake.

A cast iron skillet is ideal for preparing this cake not only because
the
butter and brown sugar for the topping can be heated directly in it on
top
of the stove, but because it helps the brown sugar topping to
caramelize
while baking.

Contributor: The Cake Bible --Rose Levy Beranbaum