carolyn taylor

Default Fisher Flour

For some years now I have periodically driven over to Seattle to the
Fisher Mill to buy 50 lb bags of their Morbread flour. My daughter who
got it for me the last time tells me they have bought out by Pendelton
and now longer sell to home bakers. What are the people that used to get
their flour this way doing about bread flour now?

Carolyn

Dee Randall

In 1993 I moved from Vashon Island near Seattle and drove to buy the 50# lb
bags of various flours at Fisher Mills. I had a pizza recipe that was
written up in Seattle times. It used a combination of 2 flours that they
sold. (One of them might have been Mondako.) I also used their gluten flour
for pure gluten bread. I was in heaven with their flours.

Now that I live in Virginia I have never been able to buy anything that
comes near the quality of their flour. It would be interesting to know what
products actually did use their flour. I use King Arthur now and like it,
but nothing compares to that flour in Seattle.

I recall at one time that there was a sell-out before and there was rumour
that a home baker could no longer buy flour there, but a few months' later
when I went back, it WAS available. I wouldn't give up on them. It might
just take them a while to get it together to realize that home-bakers depend
on them.

Good luck,
Dee

"carolyn taylor" > wrote in message
> For some years now I have periodically driven over to Seattle to the
> Fisher Mill to buy 50 lb bags of their Morbread flour. My daughter who
> got it for me the last time tells me they have bought out by Pendelton
> and now longer sell to home bakers. What are the people that used to get
> their flour this way doing about bread flour now?
>
> Carolyn

barry

If you really can't buy direct from the factory, ask them for the name of a
wholesale restaurant supply house and buy from them. You may pay a dollar
or two more, but what's a couple of dollars spread over 50 pounds compared
with not being able to get the flour.

Another alternative is to find a friendly bakery or bagel shop and ask them
if you can place an order with them from time to time.

Barry

"carolyn taylor" > wrote in message
> For some years now I have periodically driven over to Seattle to the
> Fisher Mill to buy 50 lb bags of their Morbread flour. My daughter who
> got it for me the last time tells me they have bought out by Pendelton
> and now longer sell to home bakers. What are the people that used to get
> their flour this way doing about bread flour now?
>
> Carolyn

alzelt

carolyn taylor wrote:

> For some years now I have periodically driven over to Seattle to the
> Fisher Mill to buy 50 lb bags of their Morbread flour. My daughter who
> got it for me the last time tells me they have bought out by Pendelton
> and now longer sell to home bakers. What are the people that used to get
> their flour this way doing about bread flour now?
>
> Carolyn

At first I cried. Then I realized that lacking the ability to buy their
"Power" bread flour, I could now buy an even better one: WheatMontana. I
can buy it at Whole Foods for $4 for 10 pounds. A much higher gluten
level for making bagels.

WF is also a great source for special price KA AP flour. TJ's also is a
good source for KA. I buy wonderful rye flour (Rodgers) accross the
border in Canada. That is also a great source for Robin Hood AP flour.
You can buy the 25 pound sacks of RH at Costco.

I remember the name Morbread, but cannot remember what it was.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Janet Bostwick

"alzelt" > wrote in message
> You can buy the 25 pound sacks of RH at Costco.
>
> --
> Alan

It seems that Costco stores carry different flour brands. I don't even want
to become accustomed to buying flour there as it changes.
Janet

carolyn taylor

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. By the way, has anyone heard
whether the quality standards are being maintained since the change of
hands? I was told that one reason for the reliability of the flour was
that sampling went on throughout the run rather than just at the end.

Thanks again,

Carolyn

barry wrote:
> If you really can't buy direct from the factory, ask them for the name of a
> wholesale restaurant supply house and buy from them. You may pay a dollar
> or two more, but what's a couple of dollars spread over 50 pounds compared
> with not being able to get the flour.
>
> Another alternative is to find a friendly bakery or bagel shop and ask them
> if you can place an order with them from time to time.
>
> Barry
>
> "carolyn taylor" > wrote in message
>
>>For some years now I have periodically driven over to Seattle to the
>>Fisher Mill to buy 50 lb bags of their Morbread flour. My daughter who
>>got it for me the last time tells me they have bought out by Pendelton
>>and now longer sell to home bakers. What are the people that used to get
>>their flour this way doing about bread flour now?
>>
>>Carolyn

barry

Yeah, it really frosts me to read about all you people buying those good
flours at Costco and all I can get in the local Costcos (I've tried three)
is some Conagra or ADM 10% "bread flour." And the price isn't all that
great to boot!

I've asked the managers what's going on and all I got was a hum-a-da
hum-a-da answer. I guess it's the same old story -- it's what the customers
ask for or what they'll buy.

Barry

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "alzelt" > wrote in message
> > You can buy the 25 pound sacks of RH at Costco.
> >
> > --
> > Alan

> It seems that Costco stores carry different flour brands. I don't even

want
> to become accustomed to buying flour there as it changes.
> Janet

Dee Randall

If you can afford two memberships, try BJ's as well (I got in on a
membership special and will renew at full price) if you have any in the
area. BJ's does carry King Arthur flour 10# $3.69, where I shop in
Fairfax, VA and in Palisades Shopping Center Exit 12 going north in NY on
Hwy 287 where I shop sometimes. Sometimes I get scared when they are down
to the last few bags and wonder if they will ever get any more, but they
haven't so far.

One year, some time ago Costco had the best 100% semolina in 25 or 50# bags.
I bought a bag. It was getting low and I asked if they would be getting
more. I listened to this guy who said, we'll always carry it. Of course --
they didn't ever carry it again. [And it was CHEAP, too!]

Dee

"barry" > wrote in message
et...
> Yeah, it really frosts me to read about all you people buying those good
> flours at Costco and all I can get in the local Costcos (I've tried three)
> is some Conagra or ADM 10% "bread flour." And the price isn't all that
> great to boot!
>
> I've asked the managers what's going on and all I got was a hum-a-da
> hum-a-da answer. I guess it's the same old story -- it's what the

customers
> ask for or what they'll buy.
>
> Barry
>
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >
> > "alzelt" > wrote in message
> > > You can buy the 25 pound sacks of RH at Costco.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Alan

> > It seems that Costco stores carry different flour brands. I don't even

> want
> > to become accustomed to buying flour there as it changes.
> > Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> If you can afford two memberships, try BJ's as well (I got in on a
> membership special and will renew at full price) if you have any in the
> area. BJ's does carry King Arthur flour 10# $3.69, where I shop in
> Fairfax, VA and in Palisades Shopping Center Exit 12 going north in NY on
> Hwy 287 where I shop sometimes. Sometimes I get scared when they are down
> to the last few bags and wonder if they will ever get any more, but they
> haven't so far.
>
> One year, some time ago Costco had the best 100% semolina in 25 or 50#

bags.
> I bought a bag. It was getting low and I asked if they would be getting
> more. I listened to this guy who said, we'll always carry it. Of

course --
> they didn't ever carry it again. [And it was CHEAP, too!]
>
> Dee

You know, maybe we are working this the wrong way around. There was one
time when I was successful getting a food product back into Costco and it
has been there ever since. I called and emailed the home office of the
producer, told them how much I loved their product, there wasn't another
around that was as good, there wasn't anywhere else I could get it, I'd been
a faithful customer for years, da-da,da-da, da-da, you get the idea. Would
they please work on Costco to carry it again? I actually feel guilty now
every time I walk past the sausages and don't buy a package. Oh, I
specified the particular Costco store to the sausage-maker home office.
Janet

The Old Bear

"Janet Bostwick" > writes:

> From: "Janet Bostwick" >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
> Subject: Fisher Flour
> Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:35:07 -0700
>
> "barry" > wrote:
> >
> > From: "barry" >
> > Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
> > Subject: Fisher Flour
> > Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:39:20 GMT
> >
> > Yeah, it really frosts me to read about all you people buying those
> > good flours at Costco and all I can get in the local Costcos (I've
> > tried three) is some Conagra or ADM 10% "bread flour." And the price
> > isn't all that great to boot!

> I've asked the managers what's going on and all I got was a hum-a-da
> hum-a-da answer. I guess it's the same old story -- it's what the
> customers ask for or what they'll buy.
>
> You know, maybe we are working this the wrong way around. There was one
> time when I was successful getting a food product back into Costco and it
> has been there ever since. I called and emailed the home office of the
> producer, told them how much I loved their product, there wasn't another
> around that was as good, there wasn't anywhere else I could get it, I'd been
> a faithful customer for years, da-da,da-da, da-da, you get the idea. Would
> they please work on Costco to carry it again? I actually feel guilty now
> every time I walk past the sausages and don't buy a package. Oh, I
> specified the particular Costco store to the sausage-maker home office.
>
>Janet

Quoting from the King Arthur Flour web site:

Remember, if you want King Arthur® Flour, ask for it where you
shop. You may very well get what you're looking for!

Can't find a store near you? Would you and other bakers in your
community like to purchase King Arthur® Flour from your local
grocer? Call us at 800.827.6836.

. . .

Cannot find a store near you offering King Arthur® Flour? Well,
that's an opportunity for you to do yourself and your fellow
bakers a favor. Go to your favorite store and ask to speak to
either the store manager or the grocery manager. Tell him you
would like to buy King Arthur® Flour and ask him to call
1-802-649-3881 for information on how to get King Arthur® Flour
to his store. Remember, if you want King Arthur® Flour, ask for
it where you shop. You may very well get what you are looking for!

KA has been quite aggressive in getting wide distribution of their product.
You most likely will be able to nudge their sales department to make an
effort to get your local store to carry King Arthur products.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

Dee Randall

> Quoting from the King Arthur Flour web site:

> Remember, if you want King Arthur® Flour, ask for it where you
> shop. You may very well get what you're looking for!

When my local grocery store spent months-upon-months to revamp their store
(Martin's - owned by Giant), I never saw King Arthur "Bread Flour" again. I
hunted down the manager and told him that every good baker used King Arthur.
Within a couple of weeks, it was back in the store. I know the feeling of
requesting something in a store, thinking I should buy some each time,
feeling responsibility for its being on the shelf. I can only HOPE that it
will be there tomorrow, and hopefully I will take no responsibility for its
not being there if it isn't.

Crossed fingers,
Dee

"The Old Bear" > wrote in message
news
> "Janet Bostwick" > writes:
> >
> > From: "Janet Bostwick" >
> > Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
> > Subject: Fisher Flour
> > Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:35:07 -0700
> >
> > "barry" > wrote:
> > >
> > > From: "barry" >
> > > Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
> > > Subject: Fisher Flour
> > > Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 04:39:20 GMT
> > >
> > > Yeah, it really frosts me to read about all you people buying those
> > > good flours at Costco and all I can get in the local Costcos (I've
> > > tried three) is some Conagra or ADM 10% "bread flour." And the price
> > > isn't all that great to boot!

> > I've asked the managers what's going on and all I got was a hum-a-da
> > hum-a-da answer. I guess it's the same old story -- it's what the
> > customers ask for or what they'll buy.
> >
> > You know, maybe we are working this the wrong way around. There was one
> > time when I was successful getting a food product back into Costco and

it
> > has been there ever since. I called and emailed the home office of the
> > producer, told them how much I loved their product, there wasn't another
> > around that was as good, there wasn't anywhere else I could get it, I'd

been
> > a faithful customer for years, da-da,da-da, da-da, you get the idea.

Would
> > they please work on Costco to carry it again? I actually feel guilty

now
> > every time I walk past the sausages and don't buy a package. Oh, I
> > specified the particular Costco store to the sausage-maker home office.
> >
> >Janet

> Quoting from the King Arthur Flour web site:
>
> Remember, if you want King Arthur® Flour, ask for it where you
> shop. You may very well get what you're looking for!
>
> Can't find a store near you? Would you and other bakers in your
> community like to purchase King Arthur® Flour from your local
> grocer? Call us at 800.827.6836.
>
> . . .
>
> Cannot find a store near you offering King Arthur® Flour? Well,
> that's an opportunity for you to do yourself and your fellow
> bakers a favor. Go to your favorite store and ask to speak to
> either the store manager or the grocery manager. Tell him you
> would like to buy King Arthur® Flour and ask him to call
> 1-802-649-3881 for information on how to get King Arthur® Flour
> to his store. Remember, if you want King Arthur® Flour, ask for
> it where you shop. You may very well get what you are looking for!
>

> KA has been quite aggressive in getting wide distribution of their

product.
> You most likely will be able to nudge their sales department to make an
> effort to get your local store to carry King Arthur products.
>
> Cheers,
> The Old Bear

The Old Bear

"Dee Randall" > writes:

>From: "Dee Randall" >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: Fisher Flour
>Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:08:44 -0500
>
>When my local grocery store spent months-upon-months to revamp their store
>(Martin's - owned by Giant), I never saw King Arthur "Bread Flour" again. I
>hunted down the manager and told him that every good baker used King Arthur.
>Within a couple of weeks, it was back in the store. I know the feeling of
>requesting something in a store, thinking I should buy some each time,
>feeling responsibility for its being on the shelf. I can only HOPE that it
>will be there tomorrow, and hopefully I will take no responsibility for its
>not being there if it isn't.

To borrow from a quote attributed to Yogi Bera:

If people aren't buying something, how are you going to stop them?

Or the following "dedication" from a book of humor published in the nineteenth
century:

This book was written by the authors
and pubished by the publishers
to be read by the readers.
If it is not successful, the responsibility
must lay with those who did not buy it.

from History and Records of the Elephant Club
by Edward Underhil and Mortimer Thompson
New York. 1857.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

Eddie Fisher passes Brooklyn1 General Cooking 21 27-09-2010 05:35 PM
Amy Fisher ThePsyko General Cooking 6 11-11-2006 10:08 AM
M F K Fisher? kuvasz guy General Cooking 7 29-10-2006 02:56 PM
Fisher Paykel kalanamak General Cooking 6 03-04-2006 12:41 AM
MFK Fisher's War Cake Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:52 AM