FoodBanter.com

-   -   Storing rye flour? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/137891-storing-rye-flour.html)

anthony 22-10-2007 01:16 AM

Storing rye flour?

I'm about to travel for some seven weeks and have a paper-sack still
holding about 9 kg of rye-flour. Since we're heading into summer, I'm
dubious about leaving it that long. Luckily, my hoard of baker's flour
will be depleted before we leave for colder climes.....
Is it best to cut my losses and ditch it rather than risk spoilage?
Or, if I can clear enough space in our refrigerator, would seven weeks
in the 'fridge be OK? Advice gratefully received.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 22-10-2007 03:24 PM

Storing rye flour?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:16:06 -0700, anthony
> wrote:

>I'm about to travel for some seven weeks and have a paper-sack still
>holding about 9 kg of rye-flour. Since we're heading into summer, I'm
>dubious about leaving it that long. Luckily, my hoard of baker's flour
>will be depleted before we leave for colder climes.....
>Is it best to cut my losses and ditch it rather than risk spoilage?
>Or, if I can clear enough space in our refrigerator, would seven weeks
>in the 'fridge be OK? Advice gratefully received.

Fridge or freezer should be fine.

I keep all my flours except AP in there.

Boron

anthony 23-10-2007 01:56 AM

Storing rye flour?

On Oct 23, 12:24 am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:16:06 -0700, anthony
>
> > wrote:
> >I'm about to travel for some seven weeks and have a paper-sack still
> >holding about 9 kg of rye-flour. Since we're heading into summer, I'm
> >dubious about leaving it that long. Luckily, my hoard of baker's flour
> >will be depleted before we leave for colder climes.....
> >Is it best to cut my losses and ditch it rather than risk spoilage?
> >Or, if I can clear enough space in our refrigerator, would seven weeks
> >in the 'fridge be OK? Advice gratefully received.

> Fridge or freezer should be fine.
>
> I keep all my flours except AP in there.
>
> Boron

Thanks Boron -- in it goes!