Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Dry Sour dough

I have made many loaves of bread and many loaves of sour dough and I
tried a new recipe this past Sunday. It was a Sour Dough Raisin Bread
supposedly revised from James Beard's recipe. The bread rose; it
browned and came out of the pans just fine. The dough is dry and not
moist. It contained 2 cups of sour cream, but was not velvety. I kept
back about a cup of flour from the six the recipe called for. (I have
made James Beard's recipe for cinnamon bread and it also contains 2
cups of sour cream. I understood that the wetter the dough, the better
flavor.

Now to my question:

Is it the shortage of flour that makes dough dry?
Is it insufficient kneading?
Is it a bad recipe?

Doreen
In Northern Minnesota

Posted to rec.food.baking

We really need the whole of the forumla to guage where the problem is, but
less flour is not likely the culpret.

D and d Jordan > wrote in
news:mailman.6.1192490122.86827.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com:

> I have made many loaves of bread and many loaves of sour dough and I
> tried a new recipe this past Sunday. It was a Sour Dough Raisin Bread
> supposedly revised from James Beard's recipe. The bread rose; it
> browned and came out of the pans just fine. The dough is dry and not
> moist. It contained 2 cups of sour cream, but was not velvety. I kept
> back about a cup of flour from the six the recipe called for. (I have
> made James Beard's recipe for cinnamon bread and it also contains 2
> cups of sour cream. I understood that the wetter the dough, the better
> flavor.
>
> Now to my question:
>
> Is it the shortage of flour that makes dough dry?
> Is it insufficient kneading?
> Is it a bad recipe?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Here's the recipe that turned out so dry for me. It also seems to need
more salt. I appreciate your suggestions.
Adapted from James Beard's Sour Cream Bread....

Makes two loaves

Ingredients:

(T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon, C = cup)

1 T dry yeast
1/4 C warm water
1 T granulated sugar
1 t salt (optional)

1 C sourdough starter (exact measurement not important)
2 C (total) sour cream, or sour cream/yogurt (see below)
5 to 6 cups good bread flour
1 to 1 1/2 C raisins

Procedu

In a large warm bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, add sugar
and optional salt.

Add sourdough starter (rough measurement is ok) to yeast mixture, stir
well and let proof for 10 to 20 minutes.

Beard's recipe called for 2 C sour cream, I generally use a mix of 1/2
sour cream and 1/2 non-fat yogurt (Continental, for you S.F. Bay
Area types.) You could also use up to 1/2 C buttermilk if you wish.
Decide on the combination, and we'll proceed.

Add 2 C sour cream/etc to yeast and sourdough mixture and blend well.

Add 4 C flour, one at a time, beating well between cups with a hefty
wooden spoon. The dough will be STICKY! Remove to a floured board,
and use your official baker's scraper to incorporate enough flour to
allow hand kneading.

You'll probably add up to two more cups of flour as you knead, depending
on humidity, temperature, phases of the moon, native
talent, and etc. When you get the dough manageable, knead in the
raisins, chasing them all over the board as you do... The whole
kneading procedure should take about ten minutes.

When the dough is smooth and supple, form into a ball, place in a
buttered bowl, (turning to coat all sides) cover with a towel and
place in a warm spot to rise. Check often, as this recipe seems to rise
quickly. You want it to just double in size, don't let it
over rise.

When just doubled, punch down, knead a bit, and form into two loaves.
Pinch seams and place in two standard loaf pans. Cover and
let rise again till just doubled.

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a
delicious golden brown color, and the tops/bottoms sound hollow when
thumped. Cool on wire rack.

It did not raise too much (just doubled). The oven temperature was correct.

Doreen
in Northern Minnesota

M. Halbrook wrote:

>We really need the whole of the forumla to guage where the problem is, but
>less flour is not likely the culpret.
>
>D and d Jordan > wrote in
>news:mailman.6.1192490122.86827.rec.food.baking@m ail.otherwhen.com:
>

>>I have made many loaves of bread and many loaves of sour dough and I
>>tried a new recipe this past Sunday. It was a Sour Dough Raisin Bread
>>supposedly revised from James Beard's recipe. The bread rose; it
>>browned and came out of the pans just fine. The dough is dry and not
>>moist. It contained 2 cups of sour cream, but was not velvety. I kept
>>back about a cup of flour from the six the recipe called for. (I have
>>made James Beard's recipe for cinnamon bread and it also contains 2
>>cups of sour cream. I understood that the wetter the dough, the better
>>flavor.
>>
>> Now to my question:
>>
>>Is it the shortage of flour that makes dough dry?
>>Is it insufficient kneading?
>>Is it a bad recipe?

Posted to rec.food.baking

Is it a fairly wet, pancake batter consistancy, starter? 1/4 c of H2O, to
me seems very low, I know there's moisture in the Sour Cream, but I don't
know that it would make up for that low amt of h2o. How wet did the dough
seem?

D and d Jordan > wrote in
news:mailman.7.1192527870.86827.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com:

> Here's the recipe that turned out so dry for me. It also seems to
> need more salt. I appreciate your suggestions.
> Adapted from James Beard's Sour Cream Bread....
>
> Makes two loaves
>
> Ingredients:
>
> (T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon, C = cup)
>
> 1 T dry yeast
> 1/4 C warm water
> 1 T granulated sugar
> 1 t salt (optional)
>
> 1 C sourdough starter (exact measurement not important)
> 2 C (total) sour cream, or sour cream/yogurt (see below)
> 5 to 6 cups good bread flour
> 1 to 1 1/2 C raisins

Posted to rec.food.baking

My loaf (minus the excess flour) felt like a normal loaf of bread - not
wet at all. It shaped into a loaf pan very nicely. I thought too that
1/4 cup water was very low; that's why I cut the flour once it cleaned
the sides of my mixer bowl. The flavor is okay, but seems dry.

Doreen
in Northern Minnesota

M. Halbrook wrote:

>Is it a fairly wet, pancake batter consistancy, starter? 1/4 c of H2O, to
>me seems very low, I know there's moisture in the Sour Cream, but I don't
>know that it would make up for that low amt of h2o. How wet did the dough
>seem?
>
>D and d Jordan > wrote in
>news:mailman.7.1192527870.86827.rec.food.baking@m ail.otherwhen.com:
>

>> <>Here's the recipe that turned out so dry for me. It also seems to
>> need more salt. I appreciate your suggestions.
>> Adapted from James Beard's Sour Cream Bread....
>>
>> Makes two loaves
>>
>> Ingredients:
>>
>> (T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon, C = cup)
>>
>> 1 T dry yeast
>> 1/4 C warm water
>> 1 T granulated sugar
>> 1 t salt (optional)
>>
>> 1 C sourdough starter (exact measurement not important)
>> 2 C (total) sour cream, or sour cream/yogurt (see below)
>> 5 to 6 cups good bread flour
>> 1 to 1 1/2 C raisins

Posted to rec.food.baking

I mean your sourdough starter, how moist is it.

D and d Jordan > wrote in
news:mailman.8.1192593604.86827.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com:

> My loaf (minus the excess flour) felt like a normal loaf of bread -
> not wet at all. It shaped into a loaf pan very nicely. I thought too
> that 1/4 cup water was very low; that's why I cut the flour once it
> cleaned the sides of my mixer bowl. The flavor is okay, but seems
> dry.
>
> Doreen
> in Northern Minnesota
>
> M. Halbrook wrote:
>
>>Is it a fairly wet, pancake batter consistancy, starter? 1/4 c of
>>H2O, to me seems very low, I know there's moisture in the Sour Cream,
>>but I don't know that it would make up for that low amt of h2o. How
>>wet did the dough seem?
>>
>>D and d Jordan > wrote in
>>news:mailman.7.1192527870.86827.rec.food.baking@ mail.otherwhen.com:
>>

>>> <>Here's the recipe that turned out so dry for me. It also seems to
>>> need more salt. I appreciate your suggestions.
>>> Adapted from James Beard's Sour Cream Bread....
>>>
>>> Makes two loaves
>>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>>
>>> (T = tablespoon, t = teaspoon, C = cup)
>>>
>>> 1 T dry yeast
>>> 1/4 C warm water
>>> 1 T granulated sugar
>>> 1 t salt (optional)
>>>
>>> 1 C sourdough starter (exact measurement not important)
>>> 2 C (total) sour cream, or sour cream/yogurt (see below)
>>> 5 to 6 cups good bread flour
>>> 1 to 1 1/2 C raisins

Posted to rec.food.baking

Oh, thanks. The starter is like thick pancake batter. It is full of
bubbles and seemingly very active. I have been consuming the balance of
the bread this past week and trying to diagnose the problem. Salt is
the best clue I have; the bread lacks flavor and is definitely not a
moist bread. Thanks for your help.

Doreen
in Northern Minnesota

M. Halbrook wrote:

>I mean your sourdough starter, how moist is it.
>
>D and d Jordan > wrote in
>news:mailman.8.1192593604.86827.rec.food.baking@m ail.otherwhen.com:
>

>>My loaf (minus the excess flour) felt like a normal loaf of bread -
>>not wet at all. It shaped into a loaf pan very nicely. I thought too
>>that 1/4 cup water was very low; that's why I cut the flour once it
>>cleaned the sides of my mixer bowl. The flavor is okay, but seems
>>dry.
>>
>>Doreen
>>in Northern Minnesota
>>
>>M. Halbrook wrote:
>>

>>>Is it a fairly wet, pancake batter consistancy, starter? 1/4 c of
>>>H2O, to me seems very low, I know there's moisture in the Sour Cream,
>>>but I don't know that it would make up for that low amt of h2o. How
>>>wet did the dough seem?
>>>
>>>D and d Jordan > wrote in
>>>news:mailman.7.1192527870.86827.rec.food.baking @mail.otherwhen.com:

Posted to rec.food.baking

Didn't even notice that, yes the salt is low, most of my formulas for
breads call for equal parts salt and yeast and where used oil, so I'd try
going for 1 T of salt at least. It's not, despite what the recipe says,
optional lol. If it's still dry, up the water content.

D and d Jordan > wrote in
news:mailman.2.1193133364.3599.rec.food.baking@mai l.otherwhen.com:

Sour dough [email protected] Sourdough 0 10-04-2009 02:45 AM
The easiest Sour Dough Bread BigJohn Sourdough 9 02-07-2006 05:21 PM
SOUR DOUGH STARTER Tim Recipes 0 21-12-2005 12:28 PM
Sour Dough Starter Peg Shambo Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2005 04:06 AM
Sour Dough Starter Lynn McKee Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2005 03:55 AM