Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Poundcake

Hi,

Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in many
surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store - yuk. I am
trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from this bakery.
Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell me what flavorings
they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've tried several recipes for
poundcake but none of them have the right "taste".

Thanks.

Tammy

Posted to rec.food.baking

"R. Fizek" > wrote in

> Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
> many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store -
> yuk. I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from
> this bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell
> me what flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've
> tried several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right
> "taste".

Why not post what you've done, so we can see what flavorings you are using?
Did you put Almond Extract in it? That seems to be common,
Posted to rec.food.baking

I've tried plain vanilla and tried with out any "flavorings". I'm sure it
isn't almond and am wondering if it might be a special bakery mixture -
"butter and something flavoring" or something like that.

Tammy

"M. Halbrook" > wrote in message
. 130...
> "R. Fizek" > wrote in
>
>> Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
>> many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store -
>> yuk. I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from
>> this bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell
>> me what flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've
>> tried several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right
>> "taste".

> Why not post what you've done, so we can see what flavorings you are
> using?
> Did you put Almond Extract in it? That seems to be common,

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:10:51 GMT, "R. Fizek" > wrote:

>I've tried plain vanilla and tried with out any "flavorings". I'm sure it
>isn't almond and am wondering if it might be a special bakery mixture -
>"butter and something flavoring" or something like that.

Personally, I use vanilla and a small amount of either lemon or orange extract
or both. Never almond.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sep 14, 11:15 pm, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:10:51 GMT, "R. Fizek" > wrote:
> >I've tried plain vanilla and tried with out any "flavorings". I'm sure it
> >isn't almond and am wondering if it might be a special bakery mixture -
> >"butter and something flavoring" or something like that.

> Personally, I use vanilla and a small amount of either lemon or orange extract
> or both. Never almond.
>
> -- Larry

Likely butter-vanilla- almond blend.....
Some use butter-vanilla- and hint of hazelnut..

Posted to rec.food.baking

You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
flour.

"R. Fizek" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
> many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store - yuk.
> I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from this
> bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell me what
> flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've tried
> several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right "taste".
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tammy

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 2007-09-16, Frank103 > wrote:
> You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
> flour.

If you were to try the original recipe, I would highly advise you not
to forget the pound of eggs, lest you end up with a rather rich
variant of shortbread. (It would be delicious, no doubt, but not
pound cake.)

--
Randall
Posted to rec.food.baking

Randall Nortman wrote:
> On 2007-09-16, Frank103 > wrote:
>> You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
>> flour.

> If you were to try the original recipe, I would highly advise you not
> to forget the pound of eggs, lest you end up with a rather rich
> variant of shortbread. (It would be delicious, no doubt, but not
> pound cake.)

Three-quarter pound cake ? :{)
Posted to rec.food.baking

Dave Bell > wrote in
t:

> Randall Nortman wrote:
>> On 2007-09-16, Frank103 > wrote:
>>> You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar
>>> and flour.

>> If you were to try the original recipe, I would highly advise you not
>> to forget the pound of eggs, lest you end up with a rather rich
>> variant of shortbread. (It would be delicious, no doubt, but not
>> pound cake.)
>>

> Three-quarter pound cake ? :{)

Nah, pound bread If that formula made it 3/4 pound cake, it'd really be
4 lb cake
Posted to rec.food.baking

I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local bakery
that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't anything close and
I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be either. I know that
bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was hoping that someone knew how
they made it in a bakery and that I could replicate the recipe at home.

"Frank103" > wrote in message
> You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
> flour.
>
> "R. Fizek" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
>> many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store -
>> yuk. I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from
>> this bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell me
>> what flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've tried
>> several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right "taste".
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Tammy

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sep 17, 7:57 am, "R. Fizek" > wrote:
> I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local bakery
> that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't anything close and
> I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be either. I know that
> bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was hoping that someone knew how
> they made it in a bakery and that I could replicate the recipe at home.
>
> "Frank103" > wrote in message

> > You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
> > flour.

> > "R. Fizek" > wrote in message
> >> Hi,

> >> Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
> >> many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store -
> >> yuk. I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from
> >> this bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell me
> >> what flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've tried
> >> several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right "taste".

> >> Thanks.

> >> Tammy- Hide quoted text -

You have been given some ideas,,,,, but if it still not helping then
you better forget your quixotic goal....you will be disappointed..

Besides
>From the point of an experienced cake baker duplicating any recipe in

its exactness is not an easy job... how much for an amateurs?

Posted to rec.food.baking

"R. Fizek" > wrote in

> I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local
> bakery that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't
> anything close and I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be
> either. I know that bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was
> hoping that someone knew how they made it in a bakery and that I could
> replicate the recipe at home.

We've given you tips on how to replicate the flavor. King Arthur Flour
Sells a "Princess Cake Flavor" that may help you out.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...yCategory=C291
&id=3170

Never used it, but maybe it'd do the job.
Posted to rec.food.baking

R. Fizek wrote:
> I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local bakery
> that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't anything close and
> I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be either. I know that
> bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was hoping that someone knew how
> they made it in a bakery and that I could replicate the recipe at home.

If I recall correctly both Penzey's Spice catalog and King Arthur Flour
catalog have a spice called something like "cake seasoning". That may
be what's missing.

gloria p

http://www.penzeys.com/

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/