Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Default Poundcake

Hi,

Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in many
surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store - yuk. I am
trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from this bakery.
Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell me what flavorings
they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've tried several recipes for
poundcake but none of them have the right "taste".

Thanks.

Tammy

Old 14-09-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"R. Fizek" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store -
yuk. I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from
this bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell
me what flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've
tried several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right
"taste".

Why not post what you've done, so we can see what flavorings you are using?
Did you put Almond Extract in it? That seems to be common,
Old 14-09-2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.food.baking

I've tried plain vanilla and tried with out any "flavorings". I'm sure it
isn't almond and am wondering if it might be a special bakery mixture -
"butter and something flavoring" or something like that.

Tammy

"M. Halbrook" wrote in message
. 130...
"R. Fizek" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

Old 14-09-2007, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:10:51 GMT, "R. Fizek" wrote:

I've tried plain vanilla and tried with out any "flavorings". I'm sure it
isn't almond and am wondering if it might be a special bakery mixture -
"butter and something flavoring" or something like that.

Personally, I use vanilla and a small amount of either lemon or orange extract
or both. Never almond.

-- Larry
Old 16-09-2007, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On Sep 14, 11:15 pm, pltrgyst wrote:
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:10:51 GMT, "R. Fizek" wrote:
I've tried plain vanilla and tried with out any "flavorings". I'm sure it
isn't almond and am wondering if it might be a special bakery mixture -
"butter and something flavoring" or something like that.

Personally, I use vanilla and a small amount of either lemon or orange extract
or both. Never almond.

-- Larry

Likely butter-vanilla- almond blend.....
Some use butter-vanilla- and hint of hazelnut..

Old 16-09-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.baking

You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
flour.

news:[email protected]

Old 16-09-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On 2007-09-16, Frank103 wrote:
You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
flour.

If you were to try the original recipe, I would highly advise you not
to forget the pound of eggs, lest you end up with a rather rich
variant of shortbread. (It would be delicious, no doubt, but not
pound cake.)

--
Randall
Old 16-09-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.food.baking

On 2007-09-16, Frank103 wrote:
You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar and
flour.

If you were to try the original recipe, I would highly advise you not
to forget the pound of eggs, lest you end up with a rather rich
variant of shortbread. (It would be delicious, no doubt, but not
pound cake.)

Three-quarter pound cake ? :{)
Old 17-09-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Dave Bell wrote in
t:

On 2007-09-16, Frank103 wrote:
You could try the original recipe: One pound each of butter, sugar
and flour.

If you were to try the original recipe, I would highly advise you not
to forget the pound of eggs, lest you end up with a rather rich
variant of shortbread. (It would be delicious, no doubt, but not
pound cake.)

Three-quarter pound cake ? :{)

Nah, pound bread If that formula made it 3/4 pound cake, it'd really be
4 lb cake
Old 17-09-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.food.baking

I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local bakery
that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't anything close and
I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be either. I know that
bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was hoping that someone knew how
they made it in a bakery and that I could replicate the recipe at home.

Old 18-09-2007, 11:17 AM posted to rec.food.baking

"R. Fizek" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Hi,

Our local bakery closed and now all we have in my neighborhood (and in
many surrounding ones as well) is a bakery in a chain grocery store -
yuk. I am trying to duplicate the recipe for poundcake that came from
this bakery. Are there any "commercial" bakers out there who can tell me
what flavorings they might add to a "bakery" made poundcake? I've tried
several recipes for poundcake but none of them have the right "taste".

Thanks.

Tammy- Hide quoted text -

You have been given some ideas,,,,, but if it still not helping then
you better forget your quixotic goal....you will be disappointed..

Besides
From the point of an experienced cake baker duplicating any recipe in

its exactness is not an easy job... how much for an amateurs?

Old 18-09-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"R. Fizek" wrote in
news:[email protected]:

I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local
bakery that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't
anything close and I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be
either. I know that bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was
hoping that someone knew how they made it in a bakery and that I could
replicate the recipe at home.

We've given you tips on how to replicate the flavor. King Arthur Flour
Sells a "Princess Cake Flavor" that may help you out.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...yCategory=C291
&id=3170

Never used it, but maybe it'd do the job.
Old 25-09-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.baking

R. Fizek wrote:
I'm really trying to replicate a favorite poundcake from our local bakery
that recently closed. The recipes that I've found aren't anything close and
I don't think that the 1 pound of each cake will be either. I know that
bakeries use different flavorings, etc so I was hoping that someone knew how
they made it in a bakery and that I could replicate the recipe at home.

If I recall correctly both Penzey's Spice catalog and King Arthur Flour
catalog have a spice called something like "cake seasoning". That may
be what's missing.

gloria p

http://www.penzeys.com/

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/