Posted to rec.food.baking

Default hospitality management , australia

Hi I wanted to know how William Angliss rates as a Hospitality and
tourism institute.Have applied for the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality
Management for the Feb intake.Just wanted to get a background check on
the school though.The course seems perfect.
Was also thinking of applying to Le Cordon Bleu for the Professional
Culinary Arts Management program which is not exactly what I want but
then its at a more reputed institute.Help!

Posted to rec.food.baking

I know you don't want to be a chef, or at least it doesn't sound like you
do, but here's something to think about. There was an recent article in the
New York Times about a guy who went to a pretiage culinary school in
California. When he returned to his home in Austin and applied for jobs,
they laughed at his degree. His student loan repayment is $700 a month. He's
working as a fry cook making $10 an hour, and living at home with his
mother. If I were thinking of school, I would talk with people in that
industry who do the hiring and find out what a degree is really worth.
Here's the abstract from the NYT article. You can download the whole article
but it will cost a couple of dollars. Good luck.

"Few jobs in restaurant industry pay enough for culinary school graduates to
retire their student loans and some are defaulting; rise of celebrity chefs
has attracted thousands to expensive culinary schools; experts say problem
for graduates is not securing job, it is finding high-paying job; culinary
training can cost more than other kinds of schooling because classrooms are
small and equipment and ingredients are expensive; advocates trying to
change student loan system say culinary students have particularly difficult
time with student loans in part because they often come from blue-collar
backgrounds and do not have financial experience to navigate world of
college costs; some chefs say sufficient training could come from community
colleges or other basic programs that offer certificates"
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...0894DF4044 82

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi I wanted to know how William Angliss rates as a Hospitality and
> tourism institute.Have applied for the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality
> Management for the Feb intake.Just wanted to get a background check on
> the school though.The course seems perfect.
> Was also thinking of applying to Le Cordon Bleu for the Professional
> Culinary Arts Management program which is not exactly what I want but
> then its at a more reputed institute.Help!

Posted to rec.food.baking
yuv yuv is offline

On Jul 25, 11:03 pm, "Frank103" > wrote:
> I know you don't want to be a chef, or at least it doesn't sound like you
> do, but here's something to think about. There was an recent article in the
> New York Times about a guy who went to a pretiage culinary school in
> California. When he returned to his home in Austin and applied for jobs,
> they laughed at his degree. His student loan repayment is $700 a month. He's
> working as a fry cook making $10 an hour, and living at home with his
> mother. If I were thinking of school, I would talk with people in that
> industry who do the hiring and find out what a degree is really worth.
> Here's the abstract from the NYT article. You can download the whole article
> but it will cost a couple of dollars. Good luck.
>
> "Few jobs in restaurant industry pay enough for culinary school graduates to
> retire their student loans and some are defaulting; rise of celebrity chefs
> has attracted thousands to expensive culinary schools; experts say problem
> for graduates is not securing job, it is finding high-paying job; culinary
> training can cost more than other kinds of schooling because classrooms are
> small and equipment and ingredients are expensive; advocates trying to
> change student loan system say culinary students have particularly difficult
> time with student loans in part because they often come from blue-collar
> backgrounds and do not have financial experience to navigate world of
> college costs; some chefs say sufficient training could come from community
> colleges or other basic programs that offer certificates"http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20914F63D550C7B8CDDA...
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> Yes your right about me not wanting to be a chef per se...i eventually want to open an eatery of my own and the course seemed ideal for that.after the 2 years at william angliss im thinking of maybe doing a short culinary course at Le Cordon Bleu.But basically i want to come back to India(thats where i'm from) and open a restaurant of my own.F&B is booming here as it is everywhere else...and maybe im not looking at getting a job in the industry as such.Thanks for the info though....it is a lot to think of before making a big decision of going off to school for 2 years or more maybe!

> > Hi I wanted to know how William Angliss rates as a Hospitality and
> > tourism institute.Have applied for the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality
> > Management for the Feb intake.Just wanted to get a background check on
> > the school though.The course seems perfect.
> > Was also thinking of applying to Le Cordon Bleu for the Professional
> > Culinary Arts Management program which is not exactly what I want but
> > then its at a more reputed institute.Help!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.baking

During my time of living in Melbourne William Angliss was viewed as having a
good reputation. It seemed to offer courses that were attractive to
students and employers obviously agreed as the students got jobs. Hope you
enjoy your choice.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi I wanted to know how William Angliss rates as a Hospitality and
> tourism institute.Have applied for the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality
> Management for the Feb intake.Just wanted to get a background check on
> the school though.The course seems perfect.
> Was also thinking of applying to Le Cordon Bleu for the Professional
> Culinary Arts Management program which is not exactly what I want but
> then its at a more reputed institute.Help!

Posted to rec.food.baking
yuv yuv is offline

Glad to know that! And yes the courses are really very interestingly
structured.Very unique.Almost seem tailor made!

On Jul 26, 2:38 pm, "Viviane" > wrote:
> During my time of living in Melbourne William Angliss was viewed as having a
> good reputation. It seemed to offer courses that were attractive to
> students and employers obviously agreed as the students got jobs. Hope you
> enjoy your choice.
>
> > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > Hi I wanted to know how William Angliss rates as a Hospitality and
> > tourism institute.Have applied for the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality
> > Management for the Feb intake.Just wanted to get a background check on
> > the school though.The course seems perfect.
> > Was also thinking of applying to Le Cordon Bleu for the Professional
> > Culinary Arts Management program which is not exactly what I want but
> > then its at a more reputed institute.Help!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jul 26, 6:48 pm, yuv > wrote:
> Glad to know that! And yes the courses are really very interestingly
> structured.Very unique.Almost seem tailor made!
>
> On Jul 26, 2:38 pm, "Viviane" > wrote:
>

> > During my time of living in Melbourne William Angliss was viewed as having a
> > good reputation. It seemed to offer courses that were attractive to
> > students and employers obviously agreed as the students got jobs. Hope you
> > enjoy your choice.

> > > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> > > Hi I wanted to know how William Angliss rates as a Hospitality and
> > > tourism institute.Have applied for the Advanced Diploma in Hospitality
> > > Management for the Feb intake.Just wanted to get a background check on
> > > the school though.The course seems perfect.
> > > Was also thinking of applying to Le Cordon Bleu for the Professional
> > > Culinary Arts Management program which is not exactly what I want but
> > > then its at a more reputed institute.Help!- Hide quoted text -

Further...students of William Angliss have a high batting average in
finding jobs if compared to similar institute in Australia.

Posted to rec.food.baking
yuv yuv is offline

On Jul 27, 3:38 am, chembake > wrote:
> On Jul 26, 6:48 pm, yuv > wrote:

Thats good to know cause I'm planning on staying back for a couple of
months to work.
Also wanted to know where Le cordon Bleu stands when compared to
William Angliss in terms of management courses.
At the end of the day Cordon Bleu does have international recognition
and most people might say that a certification from Cordon Bleu will
give a person more opportunities internationally.
I might apply to Cordon Bleu but i'm not sure because the course at
William Angliss is really apt.Its very well put together.

> > Glad to know that! And yes the courses are really very interestingly
> > structured.Very unique.Almost seem tailor made!

> > On Jul 26, 2:38 pm, "Viviane" > wrote:

> > > During my time of living in Melbourne William Angliss was viewed as having a
> > > good reputation. It seemed to offer courses that were attractive to
> > > students and employers obviously agreed as the students got jobs. Hope you
> > > enjoy your choice.

> > oups.com...

> Further...students of William Angliss have a high batting average in
> finding jobs if compared to similar institute in Australia.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jul 27, 3:17 pm, yuv > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 3:38 am, chembake > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 26, 6:48 pm, yuv > wrote:

> Thats good to know cause I'm planning on staying back for a couple of
> months to work.
> Also wanted to know where Le cordon Bleu stands when compared to
> William Angliss in terms of management courses.
> At the end of the day Cordon Bleu does have international recognition
> and most people might say that a certification from Cordon Bleu will
> give a person more opportunities internationally.
> I might apply to Cordon Bleu but i'm not sure because the course at
> William Angliss is really apt.Its very well put together.
>

> > > Glad to know that! And yes the courses are really very interestingly
> > > structured.Very unique.Almost seem tailor made!

> > > oups.com...

> > Further...students of William Angliss have a high batting average in
> > finding jobs if compared to similar institute in Australia.- Hide quoted text -

Aside from the famous name....there is nothing spectacular in their
courses according to my sources....
Besides the school name means nothing if the curriculum is not what
the student needs.....

Think it the other way....do you prefer to wear a dress or shoe from
a well ,known designer even if it does not fit your personality etc..
or you prefer an attire or accessory that you think is what you
really want to have and is really the best suited for your
requirements.........?

..

Posted to rec.food.baking
yuv yuv is offline

On Jul 27, 1:55 pm, chembake > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 3:17 pm, yuv > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 27, 3:38 am, chembake > wrote:

> > > On Jul 26, 6:48 pm, yuv > wrote:

> > Thats good to know cause I'm planning on staying back for a couple of
> > months to work.
> > Also wanted to know where Le cordon Bleu stands when compared to
> > William Angliss in terms of management courses.
> > At the end of the day Cordon Bleu does have international recognition
> > and most people might say that a certification from Cordon Bleu will
> > give a person more opportunities internationally.
> > I might apply to Cordon Bleu but i'm not sure because the course at
> > William Angliss is really apt.Its very well put together.

> > > Further...students of William Angliss have a high batting average in
> > > finding jobs if compared to similar institute in Australia.- Hide quoted text -

> Aside from the famous name....there is nothing spectacular in their
> courses according to my sources....
> Besides the school name means nothing if the curriculum is not what
> the student needs.....
>
> Think it the other way....do you prefer to wear a dress or shoe from
> a well ,known designer even if it does not fit your personality etc..
> or you prefer an attire or accessory that you think is what you
> really want to have and is really the best suited for your
> requirements.........?

I dont know if I could look at it that way.Obviously renowned
institutions are only renowned because they offer something more to
you whether it is a guaranteed job,excellent education or world class
experience.And obviously makinga decision about education isnt as
easy as deciding what clothes to buy! But yes I think i understand
what you are trying to say,that if the course fits my needs comes
along in a school say for example that is rated 5th in its line to
compared to a school maybe rated 2 in its line.
Thanks for the input!

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Jul 29, 3:29 pm, yuv > wrote:
> On Jul 27, 1:55 pm, chembake > wrote:

> > > Thats good to know cause I'm planning on staying back for a couple of
> > > months to work.
> > > Also wanted to know where Le cordon Bleu stands when compared to
> > > William Angliss in terms of management courses.
> > > At the end of the day Cordon Bleu does have international recognition
> > > and most people might say that a certification from Cordon Bleu will
> > > give a person more opportunities internationally.
> > > I might apply to Cordon Bleu but i'm not sure because the course at
> > > William Angliss is really apt.Its very well put together.

> > Aside from the famous name....there is nothing spectacular in their
> > courses according to my sources....
> > Besides the school name means nothing if the curriculum is not what
> > the student needs.....

> > Think it the other way....do you prefer to wear a dress or shoe from
> > a well ,known designer even if it does not fit your personality etc..
> > or you prefer an attire or accessory that you think is what you
> > really want to have and is really the best suited for your
> > requirements.........?

> I dont know if I could look at it that way.Obviously renowned
> institutions are only renowned because they offer something more to
> you whether it is a guaranteed job,excellent education or world class
> experience.And obviously makinga decision about education isnt as
> easy as deciding what clothes to buy! But yes I think i understand
> what you are trying to say,that if the course fits my needs comes
> along in a school say for example that is rated 5th in its line to
> compared to a school maybe rated 2 in its line.
> Thanks for the input!- Hide quoted text -

Well my experience tells me that the schools reputation means nothing;
rather it depends on the students aptitude.There are people who
studied in institutions that are considered not famous ; but in the
end the student become successful in their chosen carrier and not
because of the school where they came from.

Posted to rec.food.baking
yuv yuv is offline

On Aug 1, 2:51 am, chembake > wrote:
> On Jul 29, 3:29 pm, yuv > wrote:

> > > Aside from the famous name....there is nothing spectacular in their
> > > courses according to my sources....
> > > Besides the school name means nothing if the curriculum is not what
> > > the student needs.....

> > > Think it the other way....do you prefer to wear a dress or shoe from
> > > a well ,known designer even if it does not fit your personality etc..
> > > or you prefer an attire or accessory that you think is what you
> > > really want to have and is really the best suited for your
> > > requirements.........?

> > I dont know if I could look at it that way.Obviously renowned
> > institutions are only renowned because they offer something more to
> > you whether it is a guaranteed job,excellent education or world class
> > experience.And obviously makinga decision about education isnt as
> > easy as deciding what clothes to buy! But yes I think i understand
> > what you are trying to say,that if the course fits my needs comes
> > along in a school say for example that is rated 5th in its line to
> > compared to a school maybe rated 2 in its line.
> > Thanks for the input!- Hide quoted text -

> Well my experience tells me that the schools reputation means nothing;
> rather it depends on the students aptitude.There are people who
> studied in institutions that are considered not famous ; but in the
> end the student become successful in their chosen carrier and not
> because of the school where they came from.- Hide quoted text -

Yes to a certain extent,the school doesn't matter too much.
But I can't say that I agree completely because good schools do have
good faculty and better teaching methods.
All in all I'm good if I find the right balance between a good school
and a good course.

A side note about the hospitality at the wineries I went to in Napa Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 20-07-2014 05:03 PM
Hospitality industry brings VND23 trillion to city MissJane Vegan 1 10-02-2012 04:17 AM
Southern Hospitality Pijewlchio General Cooking 0 03-02-2007 01:08 AM
Hospitality POS NETCOM Restaurants 2 26-01-2005 03:16 AM
New Food-Drink-Hospitality Report Forecast Restaurants 0 16-11-2003 09:59 PM