FoodBanter.com

-   -   Baking an apple cake using dehydrated apples? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/126828-baking-apple-cake-using.html)

turtlelover 20-06-2007 11:29 PM

Baking an apple cake using dehydrated apples?

I'm looking for some guidance from those of you who use dehydrated apples when baking a cake.

When I bake an apple cake, I use Granny Smiths. After about two days, the apples in the cake seem to be mushy. I've wondered what success I might have if I dehydrate the apples first. Before I go through this exercise, I thought I'd ask if anyone out there has used this method.

I've already sliced, pre-treated, and dehydrated the apples (they're delicious, BTW, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon), but I'm wondering if the texture would be firmer if I bake with them:
1. rehydrated slightly;
2. in their present dehydrated state.

I suppose I shouldn't rehydrate them completely, because the original (moist) form seems to be the problem that I'm trying to avoid. Besides, the only recipes I've seen where dried apples are rehydrated completely seem to be pies...where you expect the filling to be juicy.

Any tips to share?

Thanks,
Turtlelover