Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pastry blender

Previously I have been using store bought pie crusts. I'm going to try &
make my own. The recipes call for using Crisco & a thing called a pastry
blender to "cut" the Crisco into the flour. How exactly do I use a pastry
blender? Is there some preferred technique? Also could I just use vegetable
oil instead of Crisco? TIA

Posted to rec.food.baking

If you own a pastry blender, you can see that it is a set of blades designed
to cut. In this case, you are cutting a fat - eg crisco - into flour. It
is a rocking back and forth motion.
You can not use oil for this. Crisco is a solid fat and you are "cutting"
it into the flour mixture. You then add a liquid - water - to this to make
your pastry. Many people use two knives to replicate the use of the pastry
blender. Myself I use the pastry blender. Some folks use an appliance
like the food processor or a "kitchen aid" mixer or other such mixer. I've
used the mixer for pastry when making large quantities and a tired arm.
wendy
> Previously I have been using store bought pie crusts. I'm going to try &
> make my own. The recipes call for using Crisco & a thing called a pastry
> blender to "cut" the Crisco into the flour. How exactly do I use a pastry
> blender? Is there some preferred technique? Also could I just use
> vegetable oil instead of Crisco? TIA

> then reply to the confirmation request.

> 269.7.4/811 - Release Date: 5/18/2007 3:50 PM

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Roughrider50" ) writes:
> Previously I have been using store bought pie crusts. I'm going to try &
> make my own. The recipes call for using Crisco & a thing called a pastry
> blender to "cut" the Crisco into the flour. How exactly do I use a pastry
> blender? Is there some preferred technique? Also could I just use vegetable
> oil instead of Crisco? TIA

I believe it's called a fork.

It spreads the vegetable shortening through the flour, rather than forming
a lump like a spoon might.

I have a vague feeling that there is a non-electric gadget specifically
intended for doing this, but I've blanked out about it.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 2007-05-27 20:10:09 -0700, "Roughrider50" > said:

> Previously I have been using store bought pie crusts. I'm going to try &
> make my own. The recipes call for using Crisco & a thing called a pastry
> blender to "cut" the Crisco into the flour. How exactly do I use a pastry
> blender? Is there some preferred technique? Also could I just use vegetable
> oil instead of Crisco? TIA

The thing that makes pie crust flaky is having bits of solid fat
(usually shortening, butter, or lard) between layers of the flour
mixture. Vegetable oil won't work--it will just saturate all the flour
and turn it to goo. A pastry blender is a gadget that's usually
U-shaped, with a handle across the open end of the U. It has multiple
blades or wires that you press down into the fat and flour mixture,
cutting it into smaller and smaller bits, until it's consistency of
coarse crumbs. If you can still see little lumps of solid shortening,
that's good. It's easier to over-blend it than to not mix it enough.

I can almost guarantee that your first attempt at making your own pie
crust will be better than the store-bought ones. But that doesn't mean
it's easy! I've been working at mine for years. Keep trying--it'll be
worth it!

--
MaryMc

(remove the obvious to reply)

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Sun, 27 May 2007 23:37:09 -0400
"Wendy" > wrote:

> If you own a pastry blender, you can see that it is a set of blades
> designed to cut. In this case, you are cutting a fat - eg crisco -
> into flour. It is a rocking back and forth motion.

well, blades or sturdy wire loops.

> You can not use oil for this.

bears repeating. you cannot make pastries without fats that are solid at
room temperature.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On May 27, 8:10 pm, "Roughrider50" > wrote:
> Previously I have been using store bought pie crusts. I'm going to try &
> make my own. The recipes call for using Crisco & a thing called a pastry
> blender to "cut" the Crisco into the flour. How exactly do I use a pastry
> blender? Is there some preferred technique? Also could I just use vegetable
> oil instead of Crisco? TIA

Hey, I never heard of one until my ex-mother-in-law bought one for
me. I love mine and use it all the time. what ever recipe you use,
fluff the flour before adding any wet ingredients. (Fluff: using the
pastry blender, just move the flour/dry ingedients around for a bit)
then cut the shortning but leave pea size pieces. don't over "cut"
the less you mix/touch the dough the flakier it will be. once you
roll it out and make your pie, cook it for 10 minutes on high 400 then
lower to 350. the high heat will give your crust flaky layers.... the
pea size explode in the crust creating flaky layers.
don't laugh I do it that way all the time. When i make pies, every
bit is always eaten event the edge crust.
P.s. i use butter flavor crisco, individually wrapped so i don't have
to measure.
not at home, wish I remembered the exact ingredients....
good luck,
chilichick

Can I just use my blender? Val22 Cooking Equipment 4 19-03-2014 03:09 AM
blender Somebody General Cooking 50 29-10-2012 07:15 PM
help with blender please pamjd General Cooking 7 21-08-2007 07:39 PM
best blender? Claudia Cooking Equipment 19 04-02-2007 12:28 AM
Blender uses Jen General Cooking 2 22-09-2005 01:48 AM